RemedySpot.com

Sweet tooth

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My daughter also developed quite a sweet tooth but I'm not sure this is OCD-related. I'd been thinking that eating sweets was a pleasant, tiny time-out from OCD perhaps. But my child wants sweets after every meal and for every snack and way overreacts if the answer is no--so for that reason it does seem a little OCDish. She does have compulsions about other foods too that come and go.

Kathy r. in Indiana

----- Original Message -----

I have a concern regarding my daughter's OCD symptoms. She is very careful about the food she eats and asks many reassuring questions regarding if what she ate for breakfast would mix with her lunch or snack or supper. Lately it seems she acquired a sweet tooth and when she eats the chocolate or candy she ususally does not ask the reassuring questions? Is turning to sweets an OCD symptom?

Guest guest

I don't know if it's related, but for a while now my daughter has been using candy as a way to relieve anxiety. She was hoarding it in her room (unbeknownst to me) and was eating it late at night when the worries kicked in. Her therapist made her go cold turkey for a couple of weeks to prove that she could survive the worries without the sweets, but it was hard and she still is terribly drawn to anything really sweet.

Best luck with it,

, mother of Annie, age 8.

• 7 years later...