Guest guest

Guest guest

Vicky,

Welcome. I have gotten so much good information from here and

worried so much less because I knew what to expect. My son Karl was

diagnosed in April of 2000 at age nine. He was only sick for one

month before he was diagnosed. His symptoms of high fever, rash,

cyclical change in temp, etc. were really classic. We also have a

family history of Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

On the bright side, he has had a really moderate case as far as

symptoms. We just weaned off prednisone for the second time

( !) and he takes methotrexate tabs once a week. The only side

effects so far are so sleepiness and mouth sores. he has a knee that

troubles him a little but no permanent joint damage that we can see.

Karl does have osteoporosis from the prednisone but at age 11 that is

fixable.

Some kids really have controllable symptoms so I'll keep my fingers

crossed for you.

Aimee(Karl, age 11)

• 1 year later...

My daughter is 14 with systemic jra. It usually starts like a big fire, and you have to find the right medicines to slow the fire to just a glow. Our daughter's fevers lasted for several months. It can be up to a year after the fevers subside that the arthritis starts. With n, we have found that the beginning is the worst. That first flare was the worst, and each successive flare is a bit less severe. So if you can calm the disease down now, it should get better for you. Most systemic kids end up on prednisone to stop the fevers, and then you slowly try to wean off. n was on them for 13 months the first flare, and then 9 months the second time around. n has had the disease for four years now. It will get better. Keep a daily diary on her symptoms and what medicines you give her. It can be a blur at first, and with a diary you can keep track of things. It can especially help if she flares again down the road. You can then go back and read the diary, and many times you will find that the same symptoms are re-occuring but you forgot how it could be. I think our brain lets us forget the bad times with our kids, and we can forget very quickly when they are doing well. Ask any questions you have here. Georgina, the founder of the group, has a 14 year old who has had the disease for about 8 years. There is a wealth of experience here. (n, 14, systemic)

Systemic JRA

My daughter turned 15 diagonised with Systemic jra on October 1 of this year after very very high fever. She never had a problem before the fever started. She is now on medicine high dosage. We are new in this and if any one had in Alberta, Canada To leave this mailing list, send request to: -unsubscribe

how are you doing? , with the disease can you tell me , my son has it and i wonder of his future. thanks trish <aaron@...> wrote:

Hello there,My name is . I am one of the older ones with systemic jra that post here from time to time. I have been dx'ed for 20 years. I am now 29. I am not in Alberta but I am close. I live in NW Montana. JRA Worldhttp://jraworld.arthritisinsight.comWe are all normal, Just some of us have more bumps in our lives then others.> My daughter turned 15 diagonised with Systemic jra on October 1 of > this year after very very high fever. She never had a problem before > the fever started. She is now on medicine high dosage. We are new > in this and if any one had in Alberta, CanadaTo leave this mailing list, send request to: -unsubscribe