RemedySpot.com

ALL I need advice.....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

:

So glad you are sticking around. I've just been here a few weeks, but have learned so much from everybody. I havne't replied much but my thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow. Take care.

and Rob 13 jas

Guest guest

All;

I am going to the rheumy tomorrow and have been researching medications that we can sit down and see what will work for me since I don't want to be on oxycodone and prednisone, forever, so far Arava looks like one, has any of you tried Arava, did it work for pain and inflammation or just inflammation? I am hoping Kineret will be available soon. Also have any of you taken the oral mtx and it did not work and then tried the injections and had it work? I have been on the oral a few times but it never worked so do you think the inj. will?

I am glad that a few of you let me know that it isn't me, I was thinking that it was, TY all, I think I will stick around and see where this group takes me :)

((warm hugs))

Guest guest

Hi ,

First off, about a lack of responses to your posting ... I wouldn't take it personally. I know that's harder to do than it is to say, it's just that for many the school year has just finished and the children have lots of activities they want to do, so that takes precedence for many of us. At least for me, that's the reason I haven't been as active lately. Been too active out of the house with the kids : ) Another reason is new computer software. We've added a few good programs and the children have been on a lot, having fun, so that leaves me with less computer time :(

Let's see ... the only meds Josh has ever tried for his JRA are:

Prednisone (I know how you feel about that one. Me, too!)

Indomethacin/Naprocyn/Relafen

Hydroxyxhloroquine (Plaquinel)

and Methotrexate (Plus some other assorted meds to help w/side effects from these)

He was in the position you mentioned ... not such a great responder to the MTX UNTIL we switched from oral to injectable form. Then, all of a sudden (within a matter of days, not weeks) he started feeling much better and having a lot of improvements(in # of sore joints, SED rate/blood count, etc). I didn't really believe that there would be such a big difference as he'd already been taking it every week for 5 years, by pill, but we were both pleasantly surprised : ) I guess it is documented that a more therapeutic dose can be absorbed when administered sub-cutaneously versus orally. I noticed that Becki wrote about that.

I would love to think that maybe if you began having weekly injections of MTX that it might help better than it did when you took the pills. Were you able to tolerate it, otherwise? If so, that might be the route to go, at least until Kineret is available where you are. Besides, they've gotten some good results when the two are used in combination. Then again, we don't have any personal experience with the newer meds that are out. Others can help you better with that kind of advice.

I do hope that your appt goes well tomorrow and that you and the doctor can come up with a treatment plan that really helps. I hope you'll start feeling better soon.

With Much Aloha, Georgina

----- Original Message -----

All;

I am going to the rheumy tomorrow and have been researching medications that we can sit down and see what will work for me since I don't want to be on oxycodone and prednisone, forever, so far Arava looks like one, has any of you tried Arava, did it work for pain and inflammation or just inflammation? I am hoping Kineret will be available soon. Also have any of you taken the oral mtx and it did not work and then tried the injections and had it work? I have been on the oral a few times but it never worked so do you think the inj. will?

I am glad that a few of you let me know that it isn't me, I was thinking that it was, TY all, I think I will stick around and see where this group takes me :)

((warm hugs))

Guest guest

Hey , it is me Carolyn, I have tried Arava but have not recieved much

help from it. I know others who like it. It is an individual thing. Now as

for Methotrexate...I was on the pill form for 13 years along with a

combination of drugs with it. I asked the doc to switch me as a trial to

injectionable metho about 3 months ago. The difference is overwhelming. I

could pound my rheumy into the ground for not suggesting it to me

sooner!!!!!! We have had a long relationship of patient doctor and I think we

got to comfortable with each other. I get a little more lower abdominal

disturbance going on for the first 24 hours, but the stomach relief is

wonderful! I hope this helps! Gppd luck, :) Carolyn

Guest guest

i hope you find the right combo that will help you i feel as you do the Pred and other meds may come later for but for now i trying to make sure shes stays on the least amount of any drug the pred is also a drug that treats Asthma and shes been on and off of that and the strong pain meds is for ER use only right now when she has to go i hope we dont have to go with stronger and that this combonation shes on at this time will be good shes only 15 and she has many years ahead of her to live with JRA one she dont like taking meds so she will wait til her pain scale is 8 before she even tells me be sure to ask about stomach meds as these these will bother your stomach has to take Zantac due to the Voltarens harshness on the stomach since JRA is a immune system problem the body will get use to it soon so theres adjustments to the meds and changes right now with Voltaren as the every day med with the Flexaril as muscle relaxant on as needed bases and Toradol on as needed and the Tylenol 3 on a as needed bases we use the pain scale to see which med to administer then if no help off to the ER

where they give her a stronger pain med less is better once things kinda of simmer down due to the JRA she also gets the Fatigue alot and this helps in someways

when shes had a busy day like say yesterday she will wake feeling fatigue today which will help her body rest whether she wants to or not i try not to make appointments like back to back because she can make the first one but so fatigued the next day she cant make that one she excerises everyday but this dont help her with fatigue hope this helps you

Robbin

Guest guest

Buzz's doctor put him on Bextra on our last visit. He has only been taking it for a few weeks now, but his doctor says it is a great drug. I know a lady at my church has been taking it for close to 2 months, she says she has never felt better. You may want to ask about it.

Amy

ALL I need advice.....

All;

((warm hugs))

Guest guest

Bextra. how is Buzz responding to it?

hugs there Buzz! hope you voted to protect Rusty from the tickle torchers

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 07:20:33 -0500 "Amy Luker" <amyluker@...> writes:

Buzz's doctor put him on Bextra on our last visit. He has only been taking it for a few weeks now, but his doctor says it is a great drug. I know a lady at my church has been taking it for close to 2 months, she says she has never felt better. You may want to ask about it.

Amy

ALL I need advice.....

All;

((warm hugs))

Guest guest

, Arava, I was on it for only a month and id have good results in reduction of inflamation. But the cost was to great for my pocket!

Didn't have Insurance to cover at the time. and of course, if you get that inflamation down! the pain will lesson too!

So good luck and glad too, you're stickin round, round, round, hey g I stuck here give me a shove!

Rusty Limbs

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:02:04 -0400 " Bedard" <bedardem@...> writes:

All;

((warm hugs))

Guest guest

Hi ,

My son was put on oral MTX and after 4 months the rheumys really wernt sure if

he

was having anykind of responce to it or not so he was switched to

injections.That

first injection KICKED his little 3 yr old butt.Within 3 days he went from

crawling every morning and night to waking up running through the house.He didnt

totally get relief from the MTX so they added Plaquenil about 6 weeks ago.I

think

it is working my son is on the lowest dose of pred(6mg)he has ever been on and

he

is still not having any symptoms of Arthur.My sons coctail is this

MTX 25mg subque on fri

200mg Plaquenil 1xday

800mg Ibuprofin divided by 3

6mg pred 5mg am 1mg pm

400mcg folic acid 1xday

1 Tums a day for calcium

Sorry I dont have any info on the newer drugs,my son is to young to be put on

Arava or Remicade.We did put in an application in for Enbrel last December but

after a 4 month wait gave up for now and are trying the Plaquenil.I hope you

find

the right combo for you.

Becki and 3systemic

cybersis40@... wrote:

> Hey , it is me Carolyn, I have tried Arava but have not recieved much

> help from it. I know others who like it. It is an individual thing. Now as

> for Methotrexate...I was on the pill form for 13 years along with a

> combination of drugs with it. I asked the doc to switch me as a trial to

> injectionable metho about 3 months ago. The difference is overwhelming. I

> could pound my rheumy into the ground for not suggesting it to me

> sooner!!!!!! We have had a long relationship of patient doctor and I think we

> got to comfortable with each other. I get a little more lower abdominal

> disturbance going on for the first 24 hours, but the stomach relief is

> wonderful! I hope this helps! Gppd luck, :) Carolyn

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

It is quite common to move to injectable mtx from oral due to lack of efficacy. Also, the nausea side effect is far less common with the injectable. My daughter Abbie has been on injectable for over two years, and is much happier. She does experience a nasty metallic taste and an excess of saliva. Georgina says Josh experiences something close to that as well. We simply give her her injection at the supper table (much to the disgust of her older sisters...lol). I know that some here are very wary of mtx, but we feel that it has been a wonderful med for Abbie. Good luck.

Christy (Abbie, 12 systemic)

Guest guest

He seems to being doing good on it so far. It has only been a few weeks. No tummy trouble or anything so far. I am hoping he will do well on it. My stepmother was also put on it last week. Her doctor says it is suppose to be a wonderful drug also.

Amy and Buzz

ALL I need advice.....

All;

((warm hugs))