RemedySpot.com

Switch from Azulifidine to Methotrexate

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello to all. Since Ian may be switching from Azulfidine to Methotrexate soon, I was wondering if anyone else had done this? I know mentioned that is now on Methotrexate. Does he take is orally or by injection? How long did it take to get results? Any side effects? Also, Ellie, I know Riley has had much trouble with her knee. Has the Methotrexate gotten rid of the swelling and/or improved her knee? Or was it the night splint? Is her knee still swollen but now she can straighten it? We gently push Ian's knee down several times per day attempting to get it straight. It will go down with our help but I guess until the swelling situation is remedied it will continue to need to be pushed down? (I remember your early posts about early hot baths - they do help!) , you mentioned your 10 year old son has spondy. Do you mind me asking his background, treatments, etc.? There do not seem to be many kids with the spondy diagnosis. Ian does not, at this point, have any back involvement (right Achilles tendon, right knee and left hip have be affected) but he is HLA B-27 positive. I realize I have jumbled several subjects into this message and hope it is not too confusing! Thanks for your responses! , Mom to Ian, nearly 10 (pauci/spondy)

HLA B-27 positive, shows there is AS Ian is just not active. I was told by my Rheumy that AS usually surfaces around 18 years of age, but of course we all know, that isn't nessarally so!

Mtx, If I am not mistaken takes it oraly as do I and as for notable side effects, myself have experienced some mouth sores and of course 'fatigue' the fatigue is usuallly that evening or the next day after taking the Mtx.

HPLTA

Uncle Rusty Limbs

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 01:09:50 -0500 "Jon " <tulsawalkerfamily@...> writes:

Hello to all. Since Ian may be switching from Azulfidine to Methotrexate soon, I was wondering if anyone else had done this? I know mentioned that is now on Methotrexate. Does he take is orally or by injection? How long did it take to get results? Any side effects? Also, Ellie, I know Riley has had much trouble with her knee. Has the Methotrexate gotten rid of the swelling and/or improved her knee? Or was it the night splint? Is her knee still swollen but now she can straighten it? We gently push Ian's knee down several times per day attempting to get it straight. It will go down with our help but I guess until the swelling situation is remedied it will continue to need to be pushed down? (I remember your early posts about early hot baths - they do help!) , you mentioned your 10 year old son has spondy. Do you mind me asking his background, treatments, etc.? There do not seem to be many kids with the spondy diagnosis. Ian does not, at this point, have any back involvement (right Achilles tendon, right knee and left hip have be affected) but he is HLA B-27 positive. I realize I have jumbled several subjects into this message and hope it is not too confusing! Thanks for your responses!

, Mom to Ian, nearly 10 (pauci/spondy)

-

Hope you don't mind me butting in on this. is on mtx and it has worked

wonders for her. She takes it orally. It took about six weeks to start

working, and at that point we noticed a huge difference. It took much longer

to get one knee's swelling completely down. It is now. With a contracture,

getting the swelling down may not be enough to help straighten the leg. We

kept doing doing stretching/range of motion exercises and it eventually

straightened out. Best of luck.

Diane (, 3, pauci)

:

I have been told by our doctor at CHOP, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia that injection is the preferred form of delivery for MTX because of the problems with the gastrointestinal bleeding, etc.. It takes a long time to take effect - 4 to 6 weeks once you start. Our son, Carrick, 10 (poly) is taking .8ml injections 1x/week.

M. J. O'Connor

President

Rail Systems, Inc.

22 North Greenwood Ave.

Hopewell, NJ 08525

609-466-4114

Hi,. takes his 10 mgs of methotrexate in pill form, once a week on Friday. Sometimes he seems more tired the next day, but not always. His biggest side effect is mouth sores, which he keeps to a minimum by rinsing his mouth every day with Listerine. That really helps him. For it began to work relatively quickly. It was about three weeks into it that he began to have less pain and stiffness. I know from others here that is not the norm, but it was for Chris. I spoke with the dr and he said that it does work that way for some people. The methotrexate has worked much better than the sulfasalazine at controlling his symptoms. is HLAB negative. That is good for his spondy diagnosis. His achilles tendons (mostly his left) are affected also. He is, though, in general doing well right now. The tendons in his feet and heels are really affected by the spondy. All in all, I am glad we made the switch in meds. Hope this helps, Michele (mom to 15,pauci/spondy)

-----Original Message-----From: Jon [mailto:tulsawalkerfamily@...] Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 1:10 AM Subject: Switch from Azulifidine to Methotrexate

Hello to all. Since Ian may be switching from Azulfidine to Methotrexate soon, I was wondering if anyone else had done this? I know mentioned that is now on Methotrexate. Does he take is orally or by injection? How long did it take to get results? Any side effects? Also, Ellie, I know Riley has had much trouble with her knee. Has the Methotrexate gotten rid of the swelling and/or improved her knee? Or was it the night splint? Is her knee still swollen but now she can straighten it? We gently push Ian's knee down several times per day attempting to get it straight. It will go down with our help but I guess until the swelling situation is remedied it will continue to need to be pushed down? (I remember your early posts about early hot baths - they do help!) , you mentioned your 10 year old son has spondy. Do you mind me asking his background, treatments, etc.? There do not seem to be many kids with the spondy diagnosis. Ian does not, at this point, have any back involvement (right Achilles tendon, right knee and left hip have be affected) but he is HLA B-27 positive. I realize I have jumbled several subjects into this message and hope it is not too confusing! Thanks for your responses!

, Mom to Ian, nearly 10 (pauci/spondy)