diagnosed with exczema which was the precursor to my

daughter's arthritis diagnosis and I wonder what I can do to

minimise the chances that he gets it.

Input gratefully received!

, I don't really know of any way to avoid the disease thru diet. It

has been found that some things help to alleviate the inflammation. The

Omega -3 fats have been proven to help some. These can be found in the cold

water fish like salmon and tuna.

On another note, my daughter started with exzema when the arthritis erupted.

My daughter has systemic JRA. Interesting link. Good luck.

(n, age 13)

>From: " annajbriggs " <mail@...>

>Reply-

>

>Subject: Does anyone feel that diet helps JRA?

>Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:34:01 -0000

>

>My 30 month old was diagnosed with JRA at 2 yrs - she has it in

>2 joints and so has the pautic variety. She does not appear to

>suffer pain or be too restricted in what she does for which we are

>very grateful but I wondered if there is anything I can be doing to

>alleviate the symptoms or arrest the progression of the

>disease? I also have a younger child who has just been

>diagnosed with exczema which was the precursor to my

>daughter's arthritis diagnosis and I wonder what I can do to

>minimise the chances that he gets it.

>

>Input gratefully received!

>

>

>

>

>

>

• 1 month later...

Hi .

My daughter, Jackie 6 poly/systemic, has had JRA for 3 years. We started out with all the medecines, Ibuprofen, steriods, Mtx and nothing stopped her from having flares. Within one year all joints were attacked. Two years ago I met a woman with arthritis that suggested that I should try Macrobiotic cooking (comes from Japan).

I took away all visible sugar (sodas,candy, cakes and cookies, sweet fruits, potatoes a.s.o.).

This was the biggest change in Jackies recovery. After I started to change her diet I took away Mtx, after 6 months i had her totaly of steroids and two weeks ago she wanted to stop taking Ibuprofen.

She has for the last 6 weeks been on a natural nutrition supplement called Moducare. It's from South Africa and has been tried out for a long time. It is now being tested at Boston University on patients with arthritis. Moducare does the same as Enbrel and Remicade and more but without the sideeffects. It is a tablet you take twice a day that balances out the imunesystem and among other things stop the TNF- alfa cells which is what Remicade and Enbrel does to.It is made of plants.

I think it's great there are drugs because what I've done for Jackie has been hard and costed as alot of money. We sold our house and spent alot on finding what worked for Jackie.

Today we are in the midle of a trial. In Norway, where we come from and Jackie got her medical treatment, the hospital has suid us for not excepting to give her Remicade. We are pretty sure thet Norway is part of a study going on internationaly, sponsored by Centocor, to see how Remicade works on children. If it's a study you have the right to say no to participate, but because Scherring-Plough in Norway is denying the fact that it probably is a study we are now in this trial to see if you as a parent is allowed to decide whar treatment your child should have or if a doctor can treat a child with force against the parents will.

We are now in Hawaii and have decided to give it a try here. We love it and the weather and good availability of healthy food has helped Jackie alot. Considering she has all joints affected, she has for the last one and a half years not had one day away from school because of her JRA.

I think that the fact that she's doing so well "scares" the doctors because if Jackie , that was one of the worst patients in Norway can get this well from not using medecines how wouldn't other kids be helped by doing what we have done?

I cry when I read all the pain and treatments that the kids in this group goes throuh and I hope they all will be doing better and better as time goes by. Good luck to all of you and keep the spirit up.

mum to Jackie, 6 years.

>From: "annajbriggs"

>Reply- > >Subject: Does anyone feel that diet helps JRA? >Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:34:01 -0000 > >My 30 month old was diagnosed with JRA at 2 yrs - she has it in >2 joints and so has the pautic variety. She does not appear to >suffer pain or be too restricted in what she does for which we are >very grateful but I wondered if there is anything I can be doing to >alleviate the symptoms or arrest the progression of the >disease? I also have a younger child who has just been >diagnosed with exczema which was the precursor to my >daughter's arthritis diagnosis and I wonder what I can do to >minimise the chances that he gets it. > >Input gratefully received! > > > MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*.

Absolutely. Liberty has poly and has had every joint (except 3 fingers) affected within a year of her diagnosis. We had to have several iv drips of pred just to get her breathing comfortably again. That was even with the drugs that she was first on. I've learned a bit online about supplements and things that others with arthur have taken away from their diet and gotten better. Like, red meats, sugars, tomatoes a.s.o. I just don't really know which one or how much. Know what I mean? There are so many different opinions out there and lots of people trying to sell you an idea.

I know the drugs are doing tons of work for Liberty, but it wasn't until we elimated most sugar that she didn't flair while on these drugs. She is finally off of pred which we didn't like at all. It made her incredibly moody and down right mean. Her eyes are still in bad shape and i wish there was something more i could do for them. She now takes pred eye drops for them and an increased dose of mtx. with the possibility of raising it again soon..but that's another post. ;)

Changing the diet is the hardest thing to do but with the least side effects. For me it is even harder then giving her the current drugs since i'm not possitive about which other changes should be made to her diet and somehow i feel i should hire a nutritionist.

I'm really happy that you have found something that has helped your daughter and she is doing so well. I would like to know more about what you've gone through and what your treatment is for her now as far as diet. Is it just sugars that you eliminated? I'll look up the cooking thing in a few. :) Thanks for posting. Hope you all have a great day!

Momma to Liberty (5yrs, poly)

Lorie

---Original Message-----From: Gentile [mailto:scandinavia_today@...]Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 2:00 AM Cc: ingeborg.bugge@...Subject: Re: Does anyone feel that diet helps JRA?

Hi .

My daughter, Jackie 6 poly/systemic, has had JRA for 3 years. We started out with all the medecines, Ibuprofen, steriods, Mtx and nothing stopped her from having flares. Within one year all joints were attacked. Two years ago I met a woman with arthritis that suggested that I should try Macrobiotic cooking (comes from Japan).

I took away all visible sugar (sodas,candy, cakes and cookies, sweet fruits, potatoes a.s.o.).

This was the biggest change in Jackies recovery. After I started to change her diet I took away Mtx, after 6 months i had her totaly of steroids and two weeks ago she wanted to stop taking Ibuprofen.

She has for the last 6 weeks been on a natural nutrition supplement called Moducare. It's from South Africa and has been tried out for a long time. It is now being tested at Boston University on patients with arthritis. Moducare does the same as Enbrel and Remicade and more but without the sideeffects. It is a tablet you take twice a day that balances out the imunesystem and among other things stop the TNF- alfa cells which is what Remicade and Enbrel does to.It is made of plants.

I think it's great there are drugs because what I've done for Jackie has been hard and costed as alot of money. We sold our house and spent alot on finding what worked for Jackie.

Today we are in the midle of a trial. In Norway, where we come from and Jackie got her medical treatment, the hospital has suid us for not excepting to give her Remicade. We are pretty sure thet Norway is part of a study going on internationaly, sponsored by Centocor, to see how Remicade works on children. If it's a study you have the right to say no to participate, but because Scherring-Plough in Norway is denying the fact that it probably is a study we are now in this trial to see if you as a parent is allowed to decide whar treatment your child should have or if a doctor can treat a child with force against the parents will.

We are now in Hawaii and have decided to give it a try here. We love it and the weather and good availability of healthy food has helped Jackie alot. Considering she has all joints affected, she has for the last one and a half years not had one day away from school because of her JRA.

I think that the fact that she's doing so well "scares" the doctors because if Jackie , that was one of the worst patients in Norway can get this well from not using medecines how wouldn't other kids be helped by doing what we have done?

I cry when I read all the pain and treatments that the kids in this group goes throuh and I hope they all will be doing better and better as time goes by. Good luck to all of you and keep the spirit up.

mum to Jackie, 6 years.

>From: "annajbriggs"

>Reply- > >Subject: Does anyone feel that diet helps JRA? >Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:34:01 -0000 > >My 30 month old was diagnosed with JRA at 2 yrs - she has it in >2 joints and so has the pautic variety. She does not appear to >suffer pain or be too restricted in what she does for which we are >very grateful but I wondered if there is anything I can be doing to >alleviate the symptoms or arrest the progression of the >disease? I also have a younger child who has just been >diagnosed with exczema which was the precursor to my >daughter's arthritis diagnosis and I wonder what I can do to >minimise the chances that he gets it. > >Input gratefully received! > > >

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*.