RemedySpot.com

Re: anyone on Enbrel went off Mtx?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

I haven't yet gone completely off the Methotraxate but I have gone from 25 mg per week down to 10. My Rheumy wants me to eventually be off the MTX . We tapered down to where I am and are holding for awhile but he has had other patients get completely off.

Betty

Hi Jill,

I was on enbrel and methotrexate, and had to go off the methotrexate also because my liver enzymes shot way up. The enbrel quit helping, so I was changed to humira. It has helped some, but my rheumy is thinking that I may have to start remicade. I should know in 2 months. We are gonna try that for a while at 1 shot per week. I think everyone's case is different, and they have to keep trying different combinations of drugs to find what helps your particular case. If the methorexate is making you ill, go to your rheumy and ask about an alternative treatment.

Hope this helps,

Gloria in Ok.>> Hi, I've been a member of this group forever and never take time to > post. Anyway, I'm on Enbrel and Methotrexate and considering going off > the Mtx. It gives me terrible headaches and nausea. Has anyone done > this? I'm 30 and have been on it for 16 years, and on the Enbrel since > 2000. Thanks!> Jill>

Dear Jill, I too take MTX and even at bedtime get very ill. I used to be on cyclosporine therapy for RA and it worked very well for me for a long time. I am asking my RD to give me that instead of MTX and he sees no reason why I cant. Its an old drug, used as an transplant rejection drug and is simply a soil fungus. Its strange but it works well without the horrid side effects. I would take it during the day and not feel ill at all. It can spike your kidney enzymes if taken with too much ibuprofen but I will be on a low dose so shouldnt have a problem. Its an exciting option I am looking forward to. Hope that helps you. Hugs, Deborah

On 2/10/07, Jill <jillkj1@...> wrote:

Hi, I've been a member of this group forever and never take time to post. Anyway, I'm on Enbrel and Methotrexate and considering going off the Mtx. It gives me terrible headaches and nausea. Has anyone done this? I'm 30 and have been on it for 16 years, and on the Enbrel since 2000. Thanks!Jill