My name is Gloria, and I am from Ok. I have been through the same

thing as you. Started out with prednisone and methotrexate, but my

liver enzymes went way up so I was swiched to enbrel. I thought that

I was crazy because I could not tell any difference. My doc done a

sed rate check, and sure enough it had gone up. Soooo, she swiched

me to humira. At first, it was great. Then, it stopped helping so

she canged my dosage to 1 injection per week. That helped alot. But

now....I have a sinus infection from hell and I am suspecting the

humira is the culprit because it is getting worse and worse.

As far as the cost, I am very fortunate because I just have a co-

pay. My rheumy says that they cost 900.00 per shot.

Hope this helps.

Hugs from OK.

Gloria

>

> Hey guys,

> I have been reading everyone's emails lately but haven't had

much to say or opinions to offer up...sorry. I have also been

working a lot (the times I don't call are sick which they love!). I

hope all are doing well. I have a couple questions as well as

needing a little gripe session for those who care to listen.

>

> I just seen my Rheumy yesterday and I think he got a bit upset

with me. He has had me on methotrexate and prednisone and folic

acid for a whole year now. He has " upped " and " upped " my

methotrexate until he has maxed me out on the dosage. But, I am

still having flares 2-3 times a week to the point that my hands get

so stiff that it feels like my hands are rubber bands stretched to

the max and then won't return to their original shape. (Odd analogy

but only one I could think of). Sometimes I can't even close my

hands to grasp anything. This is ironic since I am a Critical Care

Nurse. I told him that I have been on these meds for a year and

still feel like I am not AT ALL controlled. My prednisone dosage is

5mg every day, but most of the time I have to up it to 10mg just to

get through the day. I just know this is dangerous for me to do, I

told him but I had to do something. I just don't feel I am being

treated properly by this RA!

>

> Toward the end of my visit, I had to beg him to put me on a

biologic agent! He keeps saying " you as a nurse know that.... " ,

well I don't. I will be the first person to admit I don't know much

about RA. I work in an area of medicine where I don't deal with RA

patients and only remember very little from School about it. Thank

goodness for this group because I have learned a lot. Needless to

say I told him yesterday that I am a nurse, but am not AT ALL

familiar with RA except what I have learned from a book, the net,

and you guys. This is why I think he got upset with me...but I

guess he will get over it.

>

> Now for the questions for those of you who are still listening

to me ramble

> He started me on Humira. 1-Any idea of the price of the drug (I

have 80/20 insurance) after insurance pays? 2-Do you guys take your

injections and then are you able to work on the same day, and last

but not least 3-Anyone ever been hospitalized for infections after

taking Humira?

>

> Thanks to all who have listened and who respond

>

>

> In West Virginia

>

> __________________________________________________

>

Hi , I am on Humira (weekly injections - taken on Saturday - just in case I get a headache afterwards, which has occurred, but not that much now), Methotrexate (20 mg on Fridays, generally wake with a headache on Saturday) and Prednisone, too (weaned down to 5 mg a day - finally). In addition, I take folic acid daily, Minocycline capsules twice a day, Tramadol daily, Diclofenac, twice daily and often take Tylenol Arthritis strength during the day. Previously, I was on Remicade for two and a half years (but started having side effects - occular migraines and vasculitis), then switched to Enbrel for about 8 months, but it didn't seem to help me greatly. I first started Humira with injections every other week, that is the standard dose, I am told. When they increased it to weekly, it seemed to help me more and I have now weaned the Prednisone down to only 5 mg a

day. My insurance is a co-pay situation, but the cost they list for a three month supply is around $8,000.00. I hope you have a low annual limit out of pocket plan. I have not been hospitalized after my injections ever. My RA gave me the pneumonia shot and I get the flu shot every year. My RA doctor is Dr. Neal at the Medical College of Virginia and is great. He is very careful with making changes to my meds and taking things slowly. I was diagnosed in 2000 and am able to work and function "fairly" well now. Good Luck! Clara in VA Gleason <gleasongirl76@...> wrote: Hey guys, I have been reading everyone's emails lately but haven't had much to say or opinions to offer up...sorry. I have also been working a lot (the times I don't call are sick which they love!). I hope all are doing well. I have a couple questions as well as needing a little gripe session for those who care to listen. I just seen my Rheumy yesterday and I think he got a bit upset with me. He has had me on methotrexate and prednisone and

folic acid for a whole year now. He has "upped" and "upped" my methotrexate until he has maxed me out on the dosage. But, I am still having flares 2-3 times a week to the point that my hands get so stiff that it feels like my hands are rubber bands stretched to the max and then won't return to their original shape. (Odd analogy but only one I could think of). Sometimes I can't even close my hands to grasp anything. This is ironic since I am a Critical Care Nurse. I told him that I have been on these meds for a year and still feel like I am not AT ALL controlled. My prednisone dosage is 5mg every day, but most of the time I have to up it to 10mg just to get through the day. I just know this is dangerous for me to do, I told him but I had to do something. I just don't feel I am being treated properly by this RA! Toward the end of my visit, I had to beg him to put me on a biologic agent! He keeps saying "you as a nurse know that....", well I don't. I will be the first person to admit I don't know much about RA. I work in an area of medicine where I don't deal with RA patients and only remember very little from School about it. Thank goodness for this group because I have learned a lot. Needless to say I told him yesterday that I am a nurse, but am not AT ALL familiar with RA except what I have learned from a book, the net, and you guys. This is why I think he got upset with me...but I guess he will get over it. Now for the questions for those of you who are still listening to me ramble He started me on Humira.

1-Any idea of the price of the drug (I have 80/20 insurance) after insurance pays? 2-Do you guys take your injections and then are you able to work on the same day, and last but not least 3-Anyone ever been hospitalized for infections after taking Humira? Thanks to all who have listened and who respond In West Virginia __________________________________________________

Thanks to everyone who responded, I guess I am feeling a little better about the whole Humira situation. thanks for listening to me vent. C O <lovinlife1162@...> wrote: Hi , I am on Humira (weekly injections - taken on Saturday - just in case I get a headache afterwards, which has occurred, but not that much now), Methotrexate (20 mg on Fridays, generally wake with a headache on Saturday) and Prednisone, too (weaned down to 5 mg a day -

finally). In addition, I take folic acid daily, Minocycline capsules twice a day, Tramadol daily, Diclofenac, twice daily and often take Tylenol Arthritis strength during the day. Previously, I was on Remicade for two and a half years (but started having side effects - occular migraines and vasculitis), then switched to Enbrel for about 8 months, but it didn't seem to help me greatly. I first started Humira with injections every other week, that is the standard dose, I am told. When they increased it to weekly, it seemed to help me more and I have now weaned the Prednisone down to only 5 mg a day. My insurance is a co-pay situation, but the cost they list for a three month supply is around $8,000.00. I hope you have a low annual limit out of pocket plan. I have not been hospitalized after my injections

ever. My RA gave me the pneumonia shot and I get the flu shot every year. My RA doctor is Dr. Neal at the Medical College of Virginia and is great. He is very careful with making changes to my meds and taking things slowly. I was diagnosed in 2000 and am able to work and function "fairly" well now. Good Luck! Clara in VA Gleason <gleasongirl76 > wrote: Hey guys, I have been reading everyone's emails lately but haven't had much to say or opinions to offer up...sorry. I have also been working a lot (the times I don't call are sick which they love!). I hope all are doing well.

I have a couple questions as well as needing a little gripe session for those who care to listen. I just seen my Rheumy yesterday and I think he got a bit upset with me. He has had me on methotrexate and prednisone and folic acid for a whole year now. He has "upped" and "upped" my methotrexate until he has maxed me out on the dosage. But, I am still having flares 2-3 times a week to the point that my hands get so stiff that it feels like my hands are rubber bands stretched to the max and then won't return to their original shape. (Odd analogy but only one I could think of). Sometimes I can't even close my hands to grasp anything. This is ironic since I am a Critical Care Nurse. I told him that I have been on these meds for a year and still feel like I am not AT ALL

controlled. My prednisone dosage is 5mg every day, but most of the time I have to up it to 10mg just to get through the day. I just know this is dangerous for me to do, I told him but I had to do something. I just don't feel I am being treated properly by this RA! Toward the end of my visit, I had to beg him to put me on a biologic agent! He keeps saying "you as a nurse know that....", well I don't. I will be the first person to admit I don't know much about RA. I work in an area of medicine where I don't deal with RA patients and only remember very little from School about it. Thank goodness for this group because I have learned a lot. Needless to say I told him yesterday that I am a nurse, but am not AT ALL familiar with RA except what I have learned from a book, the net, and you

guys. This is why I think he got upset with me...but I guess he will get over it. Now for the questions for those of you who are still listening to me ramble He started me on Humira. 1-Any idea of the price of the drug (I have 80/20 insurance) after insurance pays? 2-Do you guys take your injections and then are you able to work on the same day, and last but not least 3-Anyone ever been hospitalized for infections after taking Humira? Thanks to all who have listened and who respond In West Virginia __________________________________________________