RemedySpot.com

Re:Leflunomide (Arava)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Arava was the first drug I took when I was Dx'd back in 2002. It worked well for a year but when I changed rheummy's he did not like the drug siting some study on sudden and unexplained liver damage and failure so he change me to MTX. It was absolutely toxic to me and I had ALL the horrible side effects. I finally took myself off MTX because I got tired of living on the bathroom floor.

So now I have rheummy number 6...LOL...I am not sure on this count. But he has restarted me on Arava. Since I had NO side effects from it and it did work in the past. I Have gone through most of the RA Drugs so we are running out of options.

I have been on so far:

Enbrel

Humeria

MTX, pills and injections

Doxycycline antibiotic therapy

I decline to take the IV meds due to very poor IV access and I can not take any drugs that contain sulfa or sulfites.

Arava is now a generic which is good cause it was over $300 a month back when I first started on it. I would give it a try. You do need to have bloodwork done every 2-4 weeks on Arava until your doc is sure your liver is doing ok with it.

Plus it has some issues if you plan to have kids. You need to wait 6-12 months( not sure on the time frame) or take some other med to flush it out your ssystem.

ToniSee what's free at AOL.com.