RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: MTX and dental issues

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Lynda- Being on a biologic or cyclosporine would help you alot. MTX stops the RA hyperactive white cells from dividing as rapidly as they do but it doesnt stop disease progression. You also get side effects from being on chemotherapy. MTX works great for some, but my disease was far too aggressive to make a big dent. I would also dry brush your teeth with listerine after meals. That helps alot. Drink water which will help hydrate you and help offset the dehydration of MTX. Yours, Deborah

On 5/18/07, kenneth194542 <lynda.parton@...> wrote:

I am also on MTX and have been to dentist this week for check-up and mentioned the following to her :-1) My teeth feel permanently as though they have a coating on them no matter how much I clean them

2) My tongue feels coated alsoI have only been taking MTX for 6 weeks now and I am sure these problems are related. My dentist said that she was aware of other patients with the same problem and asked me if my mouth always felt dry - (I said yes to that) she then went on to explain that the mouth does not make enough saliva when on MTX and that the saliva it produces is thick and gloopy (horrible, I know !!) and this causes the mouth problems I am experiencing. I am going to visit hygeinist every 6 weeks for time being for descaling and we are going to see how it goes.I am not feeling any benefit for my pain at this time and I am beginning to wonder if this is as good as it gets with MTX- very disillusioned. I have been told it can take 12 weeks before feeling benefit, but when you are in so much pain it's really hard to look that far ahead.Lynda> >> > Hi,

> >> > I've been on (oral) MTX almost 4 years. Mouth sores, for which I take> > folic acid, have been a fairly minor problem in all that time. But for the> > past few months, I've noticed the enamel coming off my teeth, and sore gums,> > (like bad gingivitis) though I do all that I should for good dental care.> > Is this the MTX (in anyone's experience)? Can I take or do anything that> > might help? Of course this will be brought to the attention of the dentist> > and rheumy, but wondered if anyone else has dealt with this?> >> > (in Western NY)> >> > ------------------------------> > Get your own web address.<http://us.rd./evt=49678/*http://smallbusiness..

com/domains/?p=BESTDEAL>> > Have a HUGE year through Small Business.> >> > > >>

Guest guest

Hi Lynda, When I went to the dentist (for the 1st time in 7 years) last year my rheumy told me to stop methotrexate & Ibuprofen a week before and a week after the & take a super dose of Prednisone. Take care, Stephkenneth194542 <lynda.parton@...> wrote: I am also on MTX and have been to dentist this week for check-up and mentioned the following to her :-1) My teeth feel permanently as though they have a coating on them no

matter how much I clean them2) My tongue feels coated alsoI have only been taking MTX for 6 weeks now and I am sure these problems are related. My dentist said that she was aware of other patients with the same problem and asked me if my mouth always felt dry - (I said yes to that) she then went on to explain that the mouth does not make enough saliva when on MTX and that the saliva it produces is thick and gloopy (horrible, I know !!) and this causes the mouth problems I am experiencing. I am going to visit hygeinist every 6 weeks for time being for descaling and we are going to see how it goes. I am not feeling any benefit for my pain at this time and I am beginning to wonder if this is as good as it gets with MTX- very disillusioned. I have been told it can take 12 weeks before feeling benefit, but when you are in so much pain it's really hard to look that far ahead.LyndaMessages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic . ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The 2007Charlottesville Arthritis Walk was a success! We raised almost $30,000 for research & programs for people with arthritis! My team, Team Lakeside, raised about $200 and money is still

coming in through May! "Never underestimate the power of a small, dedicated group of people to change the world -- indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." (Margaret Mead)

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Check out fitting gifts for grads at Search.