Re: Income Re: question about SSDI

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 11/30/07 10:25:46 PM, cynthiadew1@... writes:

Both programs look at if you are capable of doing SGA or Substantial

Gainful Activity. Which is monthly income of about $800 from a work

activity.

=================================

You are correct, , at least in reference to SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). I don't know about SSI (Supplemental Security Income), so I can't comment on that program.

I no longer work at all at a regular job (SGA). But I once assisted a blind woman who received SSDI, and worked part-time. I don't recall how much she made at her job, but she knew exactly how much she could earn before it would impact her SSDI benefits. In her case, she really needed the extra income: She received less than $800 from SSDI but was ineligible for subsidized housing or food stamps, or any government program for the poor.

BTW, being blind is the only condition I am aware of where the person is automatically granted SSDI benefits without having to prove disability. All that's needed is a diagnosis of being legally blind.

Regards,

BeingIrish

**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

In a message dated 12/3/07 4:34:23 PM, cat_lady20042003@... writes:

The question I have, concerns the blind women.  Pardon me for being a snoop, but was her income considered too high or too low for her to be eligible? 

========================

Hi Cat Lady; I'm a Dog Lady :),

I assume the income of the blind woman I assisted was too high for her to receive government assistance (food stamps, subsidized housing, etc.). As far as I know, the only thing for which she qualified were scripts (coupons) for taxi cab rides. This was several years ago, and at that time she received less than $800 in monthly Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, and she also worked part-time when she could find a job. She always made sure the money she made in part-time work would not impact her SSDI benefits.

ly, I don't know how she was able to live on the amount of money she received each month, even when she was able to find part-time work. Although she was in a rent-controlled apartment, she always had to have a roommate. Money was very tight.

She became blind as an adult, so she had some savings and had paid into Social Security for several years; thus she qualified for SSDI. And she was no dummy: She had two masters' degrees and a Ph.D..

There are several SSDI programs that encourage people receiving benefits to go back to work and they offer a variety of incentives. You can find out more about them on the Social Security website: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/detailedinfo.htm

For more information on Substantial Gainful Activity, go to:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/sga.html

Good luck.

Regards,

BeingIrish

**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

This going to sound stupid and maybe insensitive and if it does, than I'm sorry in advance. First of what is the minimal amount a person on SSD can receive and still have a monthly income from a work activity. While I don't wish to disclose my income, I do receive a bit more than $800 in SSD alone and have a feeling I wouldn't qualify as I probably have too high an income. I don't have a high enough income to live on my own - at least not in the maner in which I'm accustmed - but I have too high an income to qualify for government assistance. (Geez, any wonder I want to go back to work.) The way I see it I have a damned if I do and damned if I don't situation. The question I have, concerns the blind women. Pardon me for being a snoop, but was her income considered too high or too low for her to be eligible? I would really appreciate it if you could tell me. I don't want to know what her income is, but I don't

know what my options are. I have to be honset enough to say, I absolutely, positively hate being on SSD. It's taken everything from me.BeingIrish@... wrote: In a message dated 11/30/07 10:25:46 PM, cynthiadew1aol writes: Both

programs look at if you are capable of doing SGA or SubstantialGainful Activity. Which is monthly income of about $800 from a workactivity.=================================You are correct, , at least in reference to SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). I don't know about SSI (Supplemental Security Income), so I can't comment on that program.I no longer work at all at a regular job (SGA). But I once assisted a blind woman who received SSDI, and worked part-time. I don't recall how much she made at her job, but she knew exactly how much she could earn before it would impact her SSDI benefits. In her case, she really needed the extra income: She received less than $800 from SSDI but was ineligible for subsidized housing or food stamps, or any government program for the poor.BTW, being blind is the only condition I am

aware of where the person is automatically granted SSDI benefits without having to prove disability. All that's needed is a diagnosis of being legally blind.Regards,BeingIrish **************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Hi Cat Lady,

You can forward my email to your sister. I don't know how a person can comfortably live on the income SSDI provides. Without some money to supplement it -- for example, I have rental income -- it's very difficult and means doing without. For most people, working at a job is a much easier choice, which disabled people don't have.

Regards,

BeingIrish**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

BeingIrish, Thank you so much. Would you mind if I forward the info to my sister? I love her and I appreciate her concern for me, but she doesn't have to live with my income. I can't seem to quite convince her that I don't really have a livable income and that while I make more money than some on SSD I make too much for assistance. SusieBeingIrish@... wrote: In a message dated 12/3/07 4:34:23 PM,

cat_lady20042003 writes: The question I have, concerns the blind women. Pardon me for being a snoop, but was her income considered too high or too low for her to be eligible? ========================Hi Cat Lady; I'm a Dog Lady :),I assume the income of the blind woman I assisted was too high for her to receive government assistance (food stamps, subsidized housing, etc.). As far as I know, the only thing for which she qualified were scripts (coupons) for taxi cab rides. This was several years ago, and at that time she received less than $800 in monthly Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, and she also worked part-time

when she could find a job. She always made sure the money she made in part-time work would not impact her SSDI benefits. ly, I don't know how she was able to live on the amount of money she received each month, even when she was able to find part-time work. Although she was in a rent-controlled apartment, she always had to have a roommate. Money was very tight.She became blind as an adult, so she had some savings and had paid into Social Security for several years; thus she qualified for SSDI. And she was no dummy: She had two masters' degrees and a Ph.D.. There are several SSDI programs that encourage people receiving benefits to go back to work and they offer a variety of incentives. You can find out more about them on the Social Security website: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/detailedinfo.htm For more information on Substantial Gainful Activity, go to:http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/sga.htmlGood luck.Regards,BeingIrish**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

If you can get something under the table (babysitting, dogsitting) etc means that you can make a little extra on the side. If you fill out a W2 then a red flag will go up. You are on the books so to speak. There is a 9 month work trial period in that case to see if you can do sustainable work in that time. After that period based on your states rules, the income you make will be factored into the reduction of SSDI received. Any income you make that can be deposited into your checking account without raising a red flag is 200 dollars but that varies in every state. I would call a social worker in your state or social security and find out exactly what the rules are in your state. Hope that helps. I get a little over 800 myself and cant live on it. I never have been able to. I am very lucky to have a significant other who helps me financially. Otherwise I dont know where I would be. Keeping you BELOW the poverty line IS insensitive and can be mentally and emotionally defeating. If you can move to a state that has more lenient rules or is better equipped to assist you with food and fuel etc, you might consider that. You can email me off list if you want to brainstorm about income idea help. Yours, Deborah

On Dec 3, 2007 8:34 PM, suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003@...> wrote:

This going to sound stupid and maybe insensitive and if it does, than I'm sorry in advance. First of what is the minimal amount a person on SSD can receive and still have a monthly income from a work activity. While I don't wish to disclose my income, I do receive a bit more than $800 in SSD alone and have a feeling I wouldn't qualify as I probably have too high an income. I don't have a high enough income to live on my own - at least not in the maner in which I'm accustmed - but I have too high an income to qualify for government assistance. (Geez, any wonder I want to go back to work.) The way I see it I have a damned if I do and damned if I don't situation.

The question I have, concerns the blind women. Pardon me for being a snoop, but was her income considered too high or too low for her to be eligible? I would really appreciate it if you could tell me. I don't want to know what her income is, but I don't know what my options are. I have to be honset enough to say, I absolutely, positively hate being on SSD. It's taken everything from me.

BeingIrish@... wrote:

In a message dated 11/30/07 10:25:46 PM, cynthiadew1@... writes:

Both programs look at if you are capable of doing SGA or SubstantialGainful Activity. Which is monthly income of about $800 from a work

activity.=================================You are correct, , at least in reference to SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). I don't know about SSI (Supplemental Security Income), so I can't comment on that program.

I no longer work at all at a regular job (SGA). But I once assisted a blind woman who received SSDI, and worked part-time. I don't recall how much she made at her job, but she knew exactly how much she could earn before it would impact her SSDI benefits. In her case, she really needed the extra income: She received less than $800 from SSDI but was ineligible for subsidized housing or food stamps, or any government program for the poor.

BTW, being blind is the only condition I am aware of where the person is automatically granted SSDI benefits without having to prove disability. All that's needed is a diagnosis of being legally blind.

Regards,BeingIrish **************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.(

http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

I wish I could get SSI. Denied, denied, denied. The mental anguish is NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved?

IMO I wouldn't do anything to risk losing it.

Oops I meant ssd. Disability not retirement. sorry

-------Original Message-------

Date: 12/4/2007 6:23:37 PM

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI

I wish I could get SSI. Denied, denied, denied. The mental anguish is NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved?

I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah

On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusew@...> wrote:

I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole.

I have been denied twice for SSDI. Now I have a Disability Advocate.

Wish me luck,

Vicki

----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI

I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on

community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah

On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusewgmail (DOT) com> wrote:

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Vicki, The road I took to applying for ssd was through vocational rehabilatation. I asked the ss office to give me help in finding a job, they set me up an appointment to be tested by the vo-rehab and thistook almost 2 days..... the results of the test were this..... you are mentally fine but physically you are off the charts in use of ur hands. Ok they then refered me to go on disability. with their test results in hand and recommendations i then applied...... then when i got all those long papers to fill out i called the phone number for help. they tried to blow me off but i insisted they help me. Ends up the woman that was going to represent my case before the judge boards of deciding if i get

disability had to help me. well she was amazed at how messed up i was with this ra.... ok so now u see they represent u and have not actually seen u how is that fair? make them all do their jobs! ask and keep asking for help! we need it and like someone else said we paid into this all our lives as we worked! not as though we are taking anything that belongs to someone else its our own monies! Good luck and hang in there!citoldusew <citoldusew@...> wrote: Vicki, I'm sorry that you are going through this............but glad to hear that I'm not alone. Living from paycheck to paycheck has been hard especially with the holidays. My husband used to be able to work overtime but now that's been taken away. we are not even breaking even anymore. It's frustrating to think I worked *hard* my entire life, paid taxes and into the ss system thinking that when/if I needed it I would be able to collect. I have

multiple doctors notes that state that I have 0% occupational use of my hands. Yet the ss people tell me I can still find a job...... I just don't think anyone would ever hire me a as a belly dancer. I was a single mother, my husband died young. I had young children but not once did I think of collecting welfare. It's those very few that have abused the system that are making it harder for the honest but deserving people. SSDI isn't a hand out, it's a mandatory government program that we paid into. Yet there are double standards used for paying claims. I've discovered that if you know a government official; elected or 'somebody who know's somebody' one word from said person will get your claim approved pretty quickly. The rest of us hard working sobs will are left to grovel and beg.

-------Original Message------- From: Vicki Hoyt Date: 12/5/2007 6:21:02 AM Rheumatoid Arthritis Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole. I have been denied twice for SSDI. Now I have a Disability Advocate. Wish me luck, Vicki -----

Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargadgmail>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have

to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusewgmail (DOT) com> wrote: I wish I could get SSI. Denied,

denied, denied. The mental anguish is NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved? IMO I wouldn't do anything to risk losing it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Vicki,

I'm sorry that you are going through this............but glad to hear that I'm not alone. Living from paycheck to paycheck has been hard especially with the holidays. My husband used to be able to work overtime but now that's been taken away. we are not even breaking even anymore. It's frustrating to think I worked *hard* my entire life, paid taxes and into the ss system thinking that when/if I needed it I would be able to collect. I have multiple doctors notes that state that I have 0% occupational use of my hands. Yet the ss people tell me I can still find a job...... I just don't think anyone would ever hire me a as a belly dancer.

I was a single mother, my husband died young. I had young children but not once did I think of collecting welfare. It's those very few that have abused the system that are making it harder for the honest but deserving people. SSDI isn't a hand out, it's a mandatory government program that we paid into. Yet there are double standards used for paying claims. I've discovered that if you know a government official; elected or 'somebody who know's somebody' one word from said person will get your claim approved pretty quickly. The rest of us hard working sobs will are left to grovel and beg.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 12/5/2007 6:21:02 AM

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI

I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole.

Wish me luck,

Vicki

----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargadgmail>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI

I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah

The biggest problem I've found is that I receive too much SSD to qualify for government assistance programs, but not enough to consider it a substantial income. I don't care that I can't afford champagene and caviar. I'm a beer and pretzel type anyway. But when you can't afford to live in the manner in which you were accustomed and you weren't accustomed to any fancy pancy hoity toity lifestyle anyway. I can't believe I've "earned" the right to live below the poverty level. I'm one quarter shy of getting an associates degree in Criminal Justice and fully intend to get my bachelors degree. Somehow or another my FASFA loan has to be paid for, so I have to look into being able to work. Susiecitoldusew <citoldusew@...> wrote: Vicki, I'm sorry that you are going through this............but glad to hear that I'm not alone. Living from paycheck to paycheck has been hard especially with the holidays. My husband used to be able to work overtime but now that's been taken away. we are not even breaking even anymore. It's frustrating to think I worked *hard* my entire life, paid taxes and

into the ss system thinking that when/if I needed it I would be able to collect. I have multiple doctors notes that state that I have 0% occupational use of my hands. Yet the ss people tell me I can still find a job...... I just don't think anyone would ever hire me a as a belly dancer. I was a single mother, my husband died young. I had young children but not once did I think of collecting welfare. It's those very few that have abused the system that are making it harder for the honest but deserving people. SSDI isn't a hand out, it's a mandatory government program that we paid into. Yet there are double standards used for paying claims. I've discovered that if you know a government official; elected or 'somebody who know's somebody' one word from said person will get your claim approved pretty

quickly. The rest of us hard working sobs will are left to grovel and beg. -------Original Message------- From: Vicki Hoyt Date: 12/5/2007 6:21:02 AM Rheumatoid Arthritis Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole. I have been denied twice for SSDI. Now I have a Disability Advocate. Wish me luck, Vicki ----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargadgmail>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get

everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusewgmail (DOT) com> wrote: I wish I could get SSI. Denied, denied, denied. The mental anguish is NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved? IMO I wouldn't do anything to risk losing it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Vicki- While bankruptcy is tempting it is not worth the ruination of your credit in the meantime. No car loans or house loans. I am so glad you have an advocate. Try to find alternative mean of revenue. I must also suggest getting a chronic illness therapist which may help. It helped me when I was at my wits end. You are not alone on this slippery slope. Remember that the more you borrow, the bigger your hole gets. The voc rehab sounds like a great idea. You are in my thoughts. I also wanted to say that after paying bills I am left with less than 300 dollars and have to make that last a month. Not likely. Thank god for my DBF. Without him I would have no options at all. My RA is getting so bad living here in maine that I hope to be moving in with him soon. Climbing 3 flights of stairs for five years and living in subsidized housing with alcoholics and people drooling from being overmedicated, literally zombies. I mean coming home and finding someone passed out in my hallway and walking over them to get to my door. You cant imagine what thats like. Everyone keep your chin up. My DBF and I decided not to do Xmas this year but I did get him a snow shovel for 13 dollars. I have a few other things up my sleeve too. Just a few small things. Its the love we have from our partners, friends and family that make christmas. Not the presents. The commercial aspect is so blatant these days. All I ever wanted for christmas was a flexible flyer or a toboggan. I got those and a doll or two. I was happy. Give what you have in abundance, love and friendship and leave the rest for those that can do it. Hugs, Deborah

On Dec 5, 2007 10:20 AM, Vicki Hoyt <dvhoyt@...> wrote:

Wish me luck,

Vicki

----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...>

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI

Suzie then that is nice that u make that amount in ssdi. u paid in that much and worked some jobs that paid u well. i have a doctorate degree and am drawing ssdi that is about 1/3 of the amount i used to bring home a month. talk about some changes :) but its okay i dont look for my provisions anywhere but above anyways. Take care!suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003@...> wrote: The biggest problem I've found is that I receive too much SSD to qualify for government assistance programs, but not enough to consider it a substantial income. I don't care that I can't afford champagene and caviar. I'm a beer and pretzel type anyway. But when you can't afford to live in the manner in which you were accustomed and you weren't accustomed to any fancy pancy hoity toity lifestyle anyway. I can't believe I've "earned" the right to live below the poverty level. I'm one quarter shy of getting an associates degree in Criminal Justice and fully intend to get my bachelors degree. Somehow or another my FASFA loan has to be paid for, so I have to look into being able to work. Susiecitoldusew <citoldusewgmail> wrote: Vicki, I'm sorry that you are going through this............but glad to hear that I'm not alone. Living from paycheck to paycheck has been hard especially with the holidays. My husband used to be able to work overtime but now that's been taken away. we are not even breaking even anymore. It's frustrating to think I worked *hard* my entire life, paid taxes and into the ss system thinking that when/if I needed it I would be able to collect. I have multiple doctors notes that state that I have 0%

occupational use of my hands. Yet the ss people tell me I can still find a job...... I just don't think anyone would ever hire me a as a belly dancer. I was a single mother, my husband died young. I had young children but not once did I think of collecting welfare. It's those very few that have abused the system that are making it harder for the honest but deserving people. SSDI isn't a hand out, it's a mandatory government program that we paid into. Yet there are double standards used for paying claims. I've discovered that if you know a government official; elected or 'somebody who know's somebody' one word from said person will get your claim approved pretty quickly. The rest of us hard working sobs will are left to grovel and beg. -------Original Message------- From: Vicki Hoyt Date: 12/5/2007 6:21:02 AM Rheumatoid Arthritis Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to

SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole. I have been denied twice for SSDI. Now I have a Disability Advocate. Wish me luck, Vicki ----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad

<dbargadgmail>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that

is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusewgmail (DOT) com> wrote: I wish I could get SSI. Denied, denied, denied. The mental anguish is

NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved? IMO I wouldn't do anything to risk losing it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.