RemedySpot.com

Re: question about SSDI

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Vicki- in 1996 When i was awarded I was 35 years old. Disease onset was may 1994. The reward was retroactive from the day I could not longer work. That was july 1994. I had to wait two years. During that two years I applied, was denied, then applied again and was denied again. Finally I found a patient advocate Herzig who happened to be a lawyer specializing in Disability. She alone took my records to the law judge in Massachusetts and got me an award that very day. I did not have to pay a cent for her services but did have to pay the state for the two years I was receiving emergency financial aid. Shortly after that they did away with the advocacy service altogether. In your case, I dont know that going before the judge is mandatory if you have a lawyer. He is getting paid to represent you. Perhaps now adays the applicant has to be there. He only needs to show the judge the medical facts and disease prognosis. You will be getting an application once a year asking if you can work, how your disease affects your daily life etc. If you dont have a handicap placard, do apply for one through your state clerks office. You simply need a note from your doctor. If you havent already, see if you can find a support group through the arthritis foundation in your area. I cant tell you how much help they were. I became a support group leader which helped for a short while. Remember that this disease works from the inside out so while you may look fine on the outside, inside there are painful swollen joints and limitations. You have an absolute right to get this award. There are alot of people who shouldnt be on SSI or SSDI but people with diseases like ours is what SSDI was created for. I was diagnosed in feb 1995 and the blood tests do not lie. If your disease is severe and active despite biologics like mine, then disability awards are very important to the quality of your life. Also remember that you are entitled to many benefits if you are alone and are on SSDI to help meet your needs which include fuel assistance, food assistance and medical transportation and health aid services, even meals on wheels if you need it. I hope that input helps. Hugs, Deborah

On Nov 28, 2007 11:02 AM, Vicki Hoyt <dvhoyt@...> wrote:

I am wondering about the experience of anyone who has had to go before a judge to get SSDI. I am waiting for a court date. I know my lawyer can tell me what is going to happen but if anyone is willing to talk I would like to hear your experience with the system.

You can email me privately at dvhoyt@...I would really appreciate your story and you advise.Thanks,Vicki__________________________________________________________

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.http://www./r/hs

Thank you for your advice. SSDI said I could work in an office but I can't lift anything heavy and I can't type for very long. I do work 2 hours a day as a supervisor in the lunchroom at the high school but that sure saps my energy. I hope I get a court date soon.

Bless you,

Vicki

----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:58:12 PMSubject: Re: question about SSDI

Dear Vicki- in 1996 When i was awarded I was 35 years old. Disease onset was may 1994. The reward was retroactive from the day I could not longer work. That was july 1994. I had to wait two years. During that two years I applied, was denied, then applied again and was denied again. Finally I found a patient advocate Herzig who happened to be a lawyer specializing in Disability. She alone took my records to the law judge in Massachusetts and got me an award that very day. I did not have to pay a cent for her services but did have to pay the state for the two years I was receiving emergency financial aid. Shortly after that they did away with the advocacy service altogether. In your case, I dont know that going before the judge is mandatory if you have a lawyer. He is getting paid to represent you. Perhaps now adays the applicant has to be there. He only needs to show the judge the medical facts and disease prognosis.

You will be getting an application once a year asking if you can work, how your disease affects your daily life etc. If you dont have a handicap placard, do apply for one through your state clerks office. You simply need a note from your doctor. If you havent already, see if you can find a support group through the arthritis foundation in your area. I cant tell you how much help they were. I became a support group leader which helped for a short while. Remember that this disease works from the inside out so while you may look fine on the outside, inside there are painful swollen joints and limitations. You have an absolute right to get this award. There are alot of people who shouldnt be on SSI or SSDI but people with diseases like ours is what SSDI was created for. I was diagnosed in feb 1995 and the blood tests do not lie. If your disease is severe and active despite biologics like mine,

then disability awards are very important to the quality of your life. Also remember that you are entitled to many benefits if you are alone and are on SSDI to help meet your needs which include fuel assistance, food assistance and medical transportation and health aid services, even meals on wheels if you need it. I hope that input helps. Hugs, Deborah

On Nov 28, 2007 11:02 AM, Vicki Hoyt <dvhoyt (DOT) com> wrote:

I am wondering about the experience of anyone who has had to go before a judge to get SSDI. I am waiting for a court date. I know my lawyer can tell me what is going to happen but if anyone is willing to talk I would like to hear your experience with the system. You can email me privately at dvhoyt (DOT) comI would really appreciate your story and you advise.Thanks,Vicki____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.http://www.. com/r/hs

Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Mobile. Try it now.

In a message dated 11/30/07 3:48:46 PM, dbargad@... writes:

I am reviewed every year.  I have a subsidized apt and my bank account is closely watched.  They also call me in once a year to confirm my income has not changed etc.  A cost of living increase in my disability every january will change my rent or decrease food stamps etc. 

=============================

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is not, to my knowledge, based on income. It's an insurance program and money is "awarded" based on how much a person has contributed through payroll deductions to Social Security. It's not taxpayer-funded. SSI, or Supplemental Security Income, is based on income and it is funded by taxpayers. It helps old and disabled people who have little or no income and have not paid very much into the Social Security system. It gives money to pay for basic needs such as food, clothing and shelter.

I receive SSDI and have for several years. My case has been reviewed once, after seven years receiving benefits. Questions of income or money in the bank were never asked -- only questions regarding my disability status, medical records, etc. The amount of money I get is pro-rated based on my age and how much I have paid into Social Security through payroll deductions over the years. When I become old enough for normal Social Security benefits, say at age 65 or 67, I will not receive any additional money, because I have been receiving disability payments. Basically, the system is supposed to work so that I will receive no more, and no less, than what I put into Social Security during my working life.

I am absolutely certain that my SSDI is not based on income -- I own five houses and the IRS and Social Security are well aware of that fact, based on my tax filings.

Regards,

BeingIrish

**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

Dear Vicki- If you work then you have income. This can adversely effect your award and your judgement. I would give up that supervisory position. If your hands have RA and you have swelling and stiffness that only gets worse with typing or lifting like mine do, then you cant work in an office. Even taking messages requires writing or typing and severe fatigue along with meds can cause you to make mistakes. Disability does mean total disability. You cannot work. Just quit altogether. If you can work even a little then you are not really qualified for disability. Please believe me when I tell you that. Its a ploy Social Security plays with you so they dont have to award you anything. Its all about how the disease limits you and restricts your life. Simple things like getting up, washing or bathing, dressing or driving can be difficult and if this is the case, be sure to let them know that. The key to your being denied is in the statement " You can work in an office " . No you cant, not anymore. Its all about the quality of your life that has gone from healthy to barely functioning and thats the fact that will award you. You wish you could work but you cant. If you can find a job at home perhaps via the computer selling on ebay to make extra income or perhaps filling out a survey or driving patients to doctors appointments as a voluteer for a few hours. Remember also that every financial aspect of your life will come into view. If you need assistance with fuel or food stamps you have to apply for those through Dept of Health and Humans Services. I am reviewed every year. I have a subsidized apt and my bank account is closely watched. They also call me in once a year to confirm my income has not changed etc. A cost of living increase in my disability every january will change my rent or decrease food stamps etc. If you have any other questions please email me. I hope you have a good lawyer that specializes in SSDI claims. Remember they dont do this Pro bono- They are in it for the money. My advocate really cared about my suffering and my pain. Lawyers only care about the final outcome of the case which is $$. Every year people who apply for disability are turned down because they dont want to pay people. If you are faithful about keeping your doctors appointments and take your meds then you have nothing to worry about. Social Security has all your information. A social worker through DHS might randomly call your doctors office to make sure you are making all your appointments. Its sad to say but Social Security Administrators and the advice they gave me are the reason I was denied twice. Dont let them falsely lead you into agreeing with anything they might say like " you can work in an office " because you cant. You have to prove to them you cant work in an office. Please remember that they are looking for any reason NOT to award you so be very careful. Hugs, Deborah

On Nov 30, 2007 9:34 AM, Vicki Hoyt <dvhoyt@...> wrote:

Thank you for your advice. SSDI said I could work in an office but I can't lift anything heavy and I can't type for very long. I do work 2 hours a day as a supervisor in the lunchroom at the high school but that sure saps my energy. I hope I get a court date soon.

Bless you,

Vicki

----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <

dbargad@...>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:58:12 PMSubject: Re: question about SSDI

Dear Vicki- in 1996 When i was awarded I was 35 years old. Disease onset was may 1994. The reward was retroactive from the day I could not longer work. That was july 1994. I had to wait two years. During that two years I applied, was denied, then applied again and was denied again. Finally I found a patient advocate Herzig who happened to be a lawyer specializing in Disability. She alone took my records to the law judge in Massachusetts and got me an award that very day. I did not have to pay a cent for her services but did have to pay the state for the two years I was receiving emergency financial aid. Shortly after that they did away with the advocacy service altogether. In your case, I dont know that going before the judge is mandatory if you have a lawyer. He is getting paid to represent you. Perhaps now adays the applicant has to be there. He only needs to show the judge the medical facts and disease prognosis. You will be getting an application once a year asking if you can work, how your disease affects your daily life etc. If you dont have a handicap placard, do apply for one through your state clerks office. You simply need a note from your doctor. If you havent already, see if you can find a support group through the arthritis foundation in your area. I cant tell you how much help they were. I became a support group leader which helped for a short while. Remember that this disease works from the inside out so while you may look fine on the outside, inside there are painful swollen joints and limitations. You have an absolute right to get this award. There are alot of people who shouldnt be on SSI or SSDI but people with diseases like ours is what SSDI was created for. I was diagnosed in feb 1995 and the blood tests do not lie. If your disease is severe and active despite biologics like mine, then disability awards are very important to the quality of your life. Also remember that you are entitled to many benefits if you are alone and are on SSDI to help meet your needs which include fuel assistance, food assistance and medical transportation and health aid services, even meals on wheels if you need it. I hope that input helps. Hugs, Deborah

On Nov 28, 2007 11:02 AM, Vicki Hoyt <dvhoyt (DOT) com> wrote:

I am wondering about the experience of anyone who has had to go before a judge to get SSDI. I am waiting for a court date. I know my lawyer can tell me what is going to happen but if anyone is willing to talk I would like to hear your experience with the system. You can email me privately at dvhoyt (DOT) comI would really appreciate your story and you advise.Thanks,Vicki____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.http://www.. com/r/hs

Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Mobile. Try it now.