this joint damage? I think rather than “instead”

I think it should be “in addition” because they each work in

different ways and one may work a lot better than the other. When things

settle down then you can back off one or the other to see if it is really

needed. Until things get pretty well controlled I prefer to add medications

instead of replacing them.

Should I increase my dose of minocin? I’m not on Minocin but I

think the usual dose is 100 mg either once or twice a day. You should really

check with your doctor before making any changes.

Can deformation and and inflexibility be reversed? I think deformation

cannot be reversed but inflexibility usually can be reversed. Perhaps it

depends on what you consider to be “deformation”. Inflammation can

cause stiffness and restrict mobility, and that is usually reversible. Joint

erosion cal also cause stiffness and restrict mobility, but that is usually

irreversible. I think it takes a trained observer and time to distinguish

between these things.

Are there specific exercises that I can do for the hand? When I had

carpal tunnel syndrome surgery my doctor told me to exercise by bending each

finger joint in succession, and repeat this about ten times at least three

times a day. There are undoubtedly a lot of other hand exercises and it would

take a physical therapist to let you know what would be best for you.

I hope you get your RA under better control. God bless.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

[mailto:Rheumatoid Arthritis ] On

Behalf Of Ken

Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007

3:50 PM

To:

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Subject:

[sPAM] help My Hand's Changing!

I feel quite despondent that the thumb on my right

hand has lost

flexibility, in that, I can't make the 'thumbs up' sign with it and

handwriting is more difficult..The joint on my index finger has a

bump and the next finger down has two nodules on the knuckle.There is

a 'raised ridge swelling on the wrist as well.

A number of questions:

Should I take methotrexate instead of Minocin to stop this joint

damage?

Should I increase my dose of minocin?

Can deformation and and inflexibility be reversed?

Are there specific exercises that I can do for the hand?

Hoping you are well I look forward to hearing from you all.

Ken.

regular flexing of all fingers and each joint of each finger seem to help me. One of the exercises is to form a circle with each finger by placing the very tip of each finger in turn to the very tip of the thumb. It won't cure, but will help to keep them flexable. Also heat packs, and I find ginger and a bit of cayenne in rubbing alcohol paiinted over the area and rubbed in is somewhat helpful but check with your Dr to be sure it is not too strenuous for you, as a eally highly inflamed hand may need some rest and not a lot of repetative movement.

It doesn't take time as can be done while watching TV or reading.

Lee

--Leona, Lee, Jackie, Tvksi, Granny and Momma. We wish you all the best,---- Harold Van Tuyl <hvantuyl@...> wrote:> I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. I have had stiffness in various> joints off and on but I usually just try to ignore in, try to exercise the> joint, and it usually doesn't last more than perhaps a week. Last week, for> example, my middle joint on my left middle finger was so stiff I could not> straighten the finger but now it is fine again. I'll give my views on each> of your questions but you really need to ask your doctor about them.>>>> Should I take methotrexate instead of Minocin to stop this joint damage? I> think rather than " instead " I think it should be " in addition " because they> each work in different ways and one may work a lot better than the other.> When things settle down then you can back off one or the other to see if it> is really needed. Until things get pretty well controlled I prefer to add> medications instead of replacing them.>> Should I increase my dose of minocin? I'm not on Minocin but I think the> usual dose is 100 mg either once or twice a day. You should really check> with your doctor before making any changes.>> Can deformation and and inflexibility be reversed? I think deformation> cannot be reversed but inflexibility usually can be reversed. Perhaps it> depends on what you consider to be " deformation " . Inflammation can cause> stiffness and restrict mobility, and that is usually reversible. Joint> erosion cal also cause stiffness and restrict mobility, but that is usually> irreversible. I think it takes a trained observer and time to distinguish> between these things.>> Are there specific exercises that I can do for the hand? When I had carpal> tunnel syndrome surgery my doctor told me to exercise by bending each finger> joint in succession, and repeat this about ten times at least three times a> day. There are undoubtedly a lot of other hand exercises and it would take> a physical therapist to let you know what would be best for you.>>>> I hope you get your RA under better control. God bless.>>>>> _____>> From: Rheumatoid Arthritis > [mailto:Rheumatoid Arthritis ] On Behalf Of Ken> Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:50 PM> Rheumatoid Arthritis > Subject: [sPAM] help My Hand's Changing!>>>> I feel quite despondent that the thumb on my right hand has lost> flexibility, in that, I can't make the 'thumbs up' sign with it and> handwriting is more difficult..The joint on my index finger has a> bump and the next finger down has two nodules on the knuckle.There is> a 'raised ridge swelling on the wrist as well.>> A number of questions:>> Should I take methotrexate instead of Minocin to stop this joint> damage?>> Should I increase my dose of minocin?>> Can deformation and and inflexibility be reversed?>> Are there specific exercises that I can do for the hand?>> Hoping you are well I look forward to hearing from you all.>> Ken.>>>

Dear Ken- You are experiencing the damage of RA. MTX only keeps the overactive cells from dividing and calms your RA a bit but it doesnt stop the damage or reverse it. Only a biologic Agent such as Remicade or Enbrel or Humira can stop the damage and stop the inflammation so that you will have better function of your thumb, as well as all your joints. RA in men is more severe than in women and cripples quickly. You should be as aggressive about treating your RA as it is treating you. Give as good as you get. When you are flaring you should immobilize the joint straight away, use ice to reduce swelling and begin a low dose steriod therapy if possible. Managing your inflammation is very important. Use compression bandages or sports tape to immobilize the joint. The thumb or any joint that doesnt move means the tissues around the joint are so swollen they cant move. Treat any flare as you would a broken joint. When I had a very bad thumb flare I had a special brace made to immobilize it. You can talk to your doctor about that. I know its depressing and painful. Just Ice and Ace it and address your pain and inflammation as quickly as you can. I hope you feel better soon. Yours, Deborah

On Dec 19, 2007 7:50 PM, Ken <maputo95@...> wrote:

I feel quite despondent that the thumb on my right hand has lostflexibility, in that, I can't make the 'thumbs up' sign with it andhandwriting is more difficult..The joint on my index finger has a

bump and the next finger down has two nodules on the knuckle.There isa 'raised ridge swelling on the wrist as well.A number of questions:Should I take methotrexate instead of Minocin to stop this joint

damage?Should I increase my dose of minocin?Can deformation and and inflexibility be reversed?Are there specific exercises that I can do for the hand?Hoping you are well I look forward to hearing from you all.

Ken.