RemedySpot.com

Income Re: question about SSDI

Rate this topic

Guest guest

But what happens when you can't afford to live? I have sold everything I owned and I'm still going to be homeless. To top it off my insurance is refusing to pay any of my medical bills. Some idiot decided that RA is a result of my job. If I only had a job. I have called everyone from hospital billing to every single department at the insurance company (Blue Cross) without any luck. So now I have nasty collections people calling and no medical care. Every time I go for a doctor's appointment I get sent to the credit department. It's very embarrassing. They want me to set up a repayment plan or file a work comp case. I would............ but I don't have an employer. If I make one up then it's criminal fraud. My medical insurance is supposed to cover everything with a $20 copay but they refuse to pay. Nobody cares. It's as the SS people are saying; "If you live long enough for the appeal (s).............. without medical care and meds, shelter and food.............we will allow you to live below poverty level." Can't wait. Whoopee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some days life is just too good. LOL

-------Original Message-------

Date: 12/5/2007 2:29:46 PM

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI

Vicki- While bankruptcy is tempting it is not worth the ruination of your credit in the meantime. No car loans or house loans. I am so glad you have an advocate. Try to find alternative mean of revenue. I must also suggest getting a chronic illness therapist which may help. It helped me when I was at my wits end. You are not alone on this slippery slope. Remember that the more you borrow, the bigger your hole gets. The voc rehab sounds like a great idea. You are in my thoughts. I also wanted to say that after paying bills I am left with less than 300 dollars and have to make that last a month. Not likely. Thank god for my DBF. Without him I would have no options at all. My RA is getting so bad living here in maine that I hope to be moving in with him soon. Climbing 3 flights of stairs for five years and living in subsidized housing with alcoholics and people drooling from being overmedicated, literally zombies. I mean coming home and finding someone passed out in my hallway and walking over them to get to my door. You cant imagine what thats like. Everyone keep your chin up. My DBF and I decided not to do Xmas this year but I did get him a snow shovel for 13 dollars. I have a few other things up my sleeve too. Just a few small things. Its the love we have from our partners, friends and family that make christmas. Not the presents. The commercial aspect is so blatant these days. All I ever wanted for christmas was a flexible flyer or a toboggan. I got those and a doll or two. I was happy. Give what you have in abundance, love and friendship and leave the rest for those that can do it. Hugs, Deborah

On Dec 5, 2007 10:20 AM, Vicki Hoyt <dvhoyt > wrote:

I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole.

I have been denied twice for SSDI. Now I have a Disability Advocate.

Wish me luck,

Vicki

----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargadgmail>Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI

I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah

On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusewgmail (DOT) com> wrote:

I wish I could get SSI. Denied, denied, denied. The mental anguish is NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved?

IMO I wouldn't do anything to risk losing it.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Yes I have to agree with cat lady, it is bad enough that we battle this disease, but then to battle for the money that we already paid in for disability income and then when we recieve it we are made to feel as though we dont have a reason to be drawing it, and then the mental anguish that we cant preform our jobs like we want to so we cant work...... no this is a no win situation, but we have to make the best of what we are dealt and yes we have to help one another get through what ever situations we are going through. I think that is so great Deborah that you will brain storm with her and help. And yes my husband has been an excellent provider for us for almost 32 years and if I didnt have him I wouldnt be able to live on the monies I get monthly. plus he works in health care so we are pretty well taken care of as far as insurance goes. I am very fortunate and my heart breaks for those who are

struggling especially this time of year. Please know that you all are in my prayers and thoughts! Please hang in there things have to get better soon. sincerely, reniDeborah Bargad <dbargad@...> wrote: If you can get something under the table (babysitting, dogsitting) etc means that you can make a little extra on the side. If you fill out a W2 then a red flag will go up. You are on the books so

to speak. There is a 9 month work trial period in that case to see if you can do sustainable work in that time. After that period based on your states rules, the income you make will be factored into the reduction of SSDI received. Any income you make that can be deposited into your checking account without raising a red flag is 200 dollars but that varies in every state. I would call a social worker in your state or social security and find out exactly what the rules are in your state. Hope that helps. I get a little over 800 myself and cant live on it. I never have been able to. I am very lucky to have a significant other who helps me financially. Otherwise I dont know where I would be. Keeping you BELOW the poverty line IS insensitive and can be mentally and emotionally defeating. If you can move to a state that has more lenient rules or is better equipped to assist you with food and fuel etc, you might

consider that. You can email me off list if you want to brainstorm about income idea help. Yours, Deborah On Dec 3, 2007 8:34 PM, suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003 > wrote: This going to sound stupid and maybe insensitive and if it does, than I'm sorry in advance. First of what is the minimal amount a person on SSD can receive and still have a monthly income from a work activity. While I don't wish to disclose my income, I do receive a bit more than $800 in SSD alone and have a feeling I wouldn't qualify as I probably have too high an income. I don't have a high enough income to live on my own - at least not in the maner in which I'm accustmed - but I have too high an income to qualify for

government assistance. (Geez, any wonder I want to go back to work.) The way I see it I have a damned if I do and damned if I don't situation. The question I have, concerns the blind women. Pardon me for being a snoop, but was her income considered too high or too low for her to be eligible? I would really appreciate it if you could tell me. I don't want to know what her income is, but I don't know what my options are. I have to be honset enough to say, I absolutely, positively hate being on SSD. It's taken everything from me. BeingIrishaol wrote: In a message dated 11/30/07 10:25:46 PM, cynthiadew1aol writes: Both programs look at if you are capable of doing SGA or SubstantialGainful Activity. Which is monthly income of about $800 from a work activity.=================================You are correct, , at least in reference to SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). I don't know about SSI (Supplemental Security Income), so I can't comment on that program. I no longer work at all at a regular job (SGA). But I once assisted a blind woman who received SSDI, and worked part-time. I don't recall how much she made at her job, but she knew exactly how much she could earn before it would impact her SSDI benefits. In her case, she really needed the extra income: She received less than $800 from SSDI but was ineligible for subsidized housing or food stamps, or any government program for the poor.

BTW, being blind is the only condition I am aware of where the person is automatically granted SSDI benefits without having to prove disability. All that's needed is a diagnosis of being legally blind.Regards,BeingIrish **************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.( http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001) Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Expecting more miracles and watching for His return!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

What I want to know is where am I supposed to come up with the money to pay my FASFA loan and what in the world am I supposed to do with my Associates degree once I get it. After this quarter, I have twelve more weeks. My graduation is in April. Am I really supposed to drop out of school when I am SO close to getting my degree I can smell it? And what about the people that go through voc. rehab or like me go to some type of business college so they CAN work? Should I cancel my party plans after I graduate? I['m not trying to be smart aleck, but I already have pictures for my wall. Not to be sarcastic, but I don't recall having a party for every picture, plaque or wall hanging I put up on the wall. I don't need a very extremely expensive wall hanging. I need to pay for that education somehow. I'm sorry, I feel I have to risk working and getting off of SSD. I do not have a livable income.

It's bad enough that one bill collector after another is after me, but once I graduate and even if I don't that'll be ONE MORE BILL COLLECTOR after my behind. SusieReni <psalms107_20@...> wrote: Suzie then that is nice that u make that amount in ssdi. u paid in that much and worked some jobs that paid u well. i have a doctorate degree and am

drawing ssdi that is about 1/3 of the amount i used to bring home a month. talk about some changes :) but its okay i dont look for my provisions anywhere but above anyways. Take care!suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003 > wrote: The biggest problem I've found is that I receive too much SSD to qualify for government assistance programs, but not enough to consider it a substantial income. I don't care that I can't afford champagene and caviar. I'm a beer and pretzel type anyway. But when you can't afford to live in the manner in which you were accustomed and you weren't accustomed to any fancy pancy hoity toity lifestyle anyway. I can't believe I've "earned" the right to live below the

poverty level. I'm one quarter shy of getting an associates degree in Criminal Justice and fully intend to get my bachelors degree. Somehow or another my FASFA loan has to be paid for, so I have to look into being able to work. Susiecitoldusew <citoldusewgmail> wrote: Vicki, I'm sorry that you are going through this............but glad to hear that I'm not alone. Living from paycheck to paycheck has been hard especially with the holidays. My husband used to be able

to work overtime but now that's been taken away. we are not even breaking even anymore. It's frustrating to think I worked *hard* my entire life, paid taxes and into the ss system thinking that when/if I needed it I would be able to collect. I have multiple doctors notes that state that I have 0% occupational use of my hands. Yet the ss people tell me I can still find a job...... I just don't think anyone would ever hire me a as a belly dancer. I was a single mother, my husband died young. I had young children but not once did I think of collecting welfare. It's those very few that have abused the system that are making it harder for the honest but deserving people. SSDI isn't a hand out, it's a mandatory government program that we paid into. Yet there are double standards used for

paying claims. I've discovered that if you know a government official; elected or 'somebody who know's somebody' one word from said person will get your claim approved pretty quickly. The rest of us hard working sobs will are left to grovel and beg. -------Original Message------- From: Vicki Hoyt Date: 12/5/2007 6:21:02 AM Rheumatoid Arthritis Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole. I have been denied twice for SSDI. Now I have a Disability

Advocate. Wish me luck, Vicki ----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargadgmail>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and

make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusewgmail (DOT) com> wrote: I wish I could get SSI. Denied, denied, denied. The mental anguish is NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved? IMO I wouldn't do anything to risk losing it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Susie, I for sure think u should finish ur degree! And I ambeno means telling u to stay on disability or to get on it. I have had ra since i was about 25 yr old. I have gone to college and earn my degrees and worked for about 20 yrs in my profession or related fields. I eventually had to stop working as I was more in need of help due to ra than the special children I taught. Unfortunately this happened when I was 46 yr old. I am now almost 52. I still feel I have much to offer others but have also found realistically this disease has taken such a toll on my physically that I can no longer drive or walk but from chair to chair. My hands are now deformed to the point they look like little paws lol and I am in much pain almost all the time. I do treasure the yrs I

worked and was able to get around without help. If you are able to drive and get to school and take classes and do the things involved in getting your degree why not go get a job? As far as the fasfa, I am not sure what that is, is it like a student loan? Can you speak with them and get a forbearance and then reenstate the loan payments when you get settled into a job? You are going to have to do some calling and find out what your alternatives are. If there is some way of helping let me know I will try and help. Short of send finances as mine are very limited. Please know I am on your side in this thing! I want you to be successful! take care and blessings!suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003@...> wrote: What I want to know is where am I supposed to come up with the money to pay my FASFA loan and what in the world am I supposed to do with my Associates degree once I get it. After this quarter, I have twelve more weeks. My graduation is in April. Am I really supposed to drop out of school when I am SO close to getting my degree I can smell it? And what about the people that go through voc. rehab or like me go to some type of business college so they CAN work? Should I cancel my party plans after I graduate? I['m not trying to be smart aleck, but I already have pictures for my wall. Not to be sarcastic, but I don't recall

having a party for every picture, plaque or wall hanging I put up on the wall. I don't need a very extremely expensive wall hanging. I need to pay for that education somehow. I'm sorry, I feel I have to risk working and getting off of SSD. I do not have a livable income. It's bad enough that one bill collector after another is after me, but once I graduate and even if I don't that'll be ONE MORE BILL COLLECTOR after my behind. SusieReni <psalms107_20 > wrote: Suzie then that is nice that u make that amount in ssdi. u paid in that much and worked some jobs that paid u well. i have a doctorate degree and

am drawing ssdi that is about 1/3 of the amount i used to bring home a month. talk about some changes :) but its okay i dont look for my provisions anywhere but above anyways. Take care!suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003 > wrote: The biggest problem I've found is that I receive too much SSD to qualify for government assistance programs, but not enough to consider it a substantial income. I don't care that I can't afford champagene and caviar. I'm a beer and pretzel type anyway. But when you can't afford to live in the manner in which you were accustomed and you weren't accustomed to any fancy pancy hoity toity lifestyle anyway. I can't believe I've "earned" the right to live

below the poverty level. I'm one quarter shy of getting an associates degree in Criminal Justice and fully intend to get my bachelors degree. Somehow or another my FASFA loan has to be paid for, so I have to look into being able to work. Susiecitoldusew <citoldusewgmail> wrote: Vicki, I'm sorry that you are going through this............but glad to hear that I'm not alone. Living from paycheck to paycheck has been hard especially with the holidays. My husband used

to be able to work overtime but now that's been taken away. we are not even breaking even anymore. It's frustrating to think I worked *hard* my entire life, paid taxes and into the ss system thinking that when/if I needed it I would be able to collect. I have multiple doctors notes that state that I have 0% occupational use of my hands. Yet the ss people tell me I can still find a job...... I just don't think anyone would ever hire me a as a belly dancer. I was a single mother, my husband died young. I had young children but not once did I think of collecting welfare. It's those very few that have abused the system that are making it harder for the honest but deserving people. SSDI isn't a hand out, it's a mandatory government program that we paid into. Yet there are double standards used for

paying claims. I've discovered that if you know a government official; elected or 'somebody who know's somebody' one word from said person will get your claim approved pretty quickly. The rest of us hard working sobs will are left to grovel and beg. -------Original Message------- From: Vicki Hoyt Date: 12/5/2007 6:21:02 AM Rheumatoid Arthritis Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole. I have been denied twice for SSDI. Now I have a Disability

Advocate. Wish me luck, Vicki ----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargadgmail>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and

make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusewgmail (DOT) com> wrote: I wish I could get SSI. Denied, denied, denied. The mental anguish is NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved? IMO I wouldn't do anything to risk losing it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I would throw the BIGGEST party ever! I'm sure you have worked hard to get to this point! Knowledge will never hurt you. Unfortunately gaining that knowledge can also hurt the wallet..... Ultimately staying or going off of SSDI is a personal decision. From what I've read there is a very low threshold for earnings.

I'm sorry if I offended you. Please don't take my comments personal. I'm frustrated with my life. It feels like everything is dead-ended for me right about now. With your graduation and new employment you will have the possibility of promising to re-pay the bill collectors. Going to college has been a positive change that you have made in your life. That's a good thing. Maybe I just need a good slap to bring me back to reality. Even if reality isn't so swell right now. Tomorrow's another day. I'm frustrated and didn't mean to offend you.

> >

> >

> > In a message dated 11/30/07 10:25:46 PM, cynthiadew1@... writes:

> >

> >

> > Both programs look at if you are capable of doing SGA or

Substantial

> > Gainful Activity. Which is monthly income of about $800 from a

work

> > activity.

> > =================================

> >

> > You are correct, , at least in reference to SSDI (Social

Security

> > Disability Insurance). I don't know about SSI (Supplemental

Security

> > Income), so I can't comment on that program.

> >

> > I no longer work at all at a regular job (SGA). But I once

assisted a

> > blind woman who received SSDI, and worked part-time. I don't

recall how

> > much she made at her job, but she knew exactly how much she

could earn

> > before it would impact her SSDI benefits. In her case, she

really needed

> > the extra income: She received less than $800 from SSDI but was

ineligible

> > for subsidized housing or food stamps, or any government program

for the

> > poor.

> >

> > BTW, being blind is the only condition I am aware of where the

person is

> > automatically granted SSDI benefits without having to prove

disability. All

> > that's needed is a diagnosis of being legally blind.

> >

> > Regards,

> > BeingIrish

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > **************************************

> > Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.

> > (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?

NCID=aoltop00030000000001)

> >

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------

> > Never miss a thing. Make your

homepage.<http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http://www./r/hs

>

> >

> >

> >

>

Reni, I'm sorry if I sounded like a real b-. i just feel like I'm running around like a chicken with my head chopped off. I'm not real sure I know how to describe what FASFA is but the closest I can come is it is a government funded student loan. I think. It's been so long since I initially applied I forget. Thanks for trying to help. I'll try to be a lot less snappy. SusieReni <psalms107_20@...> wrote: Susie, I for sure think u should finish ur degree! And I ambeno means telling u to stay on disability or to get on it. I have had ra since i was about 25 yr old. I have gone to college and earn my degrees and worked for about 20 yrs in my profession or related fields. I eventually had to stop working as I was more in need of help due to ra than the special children I taught. Unfortunately this happened when I was 46 yr old. I am now

almost 52. I still feel I have much to offer others but have also found realistically this disease has taken such a toll on my physically that I can no longer drive or walk but from chair to chair. My hands are now deformed to the point they look like little paws lol and I am in much pain almost all the time. I do treasure the yrs I worked and was able to get around without help. If you are able to drive and get to school and take classes and do the things involved in getting your degree why not go get a job? As far as the fasfa, I am not sure what that is, is it like a student loan? Can you speak with them and get a forbearance and then reenstate the loan payments when you get settled into a job? You are going to have to do some calling and find out what your alternatives are. If there is some way of helping let me know I will try and help. Short of send finances as mine are very limited.

Please know I am on your side in this thing! I want you to be successful! take care and blessings!suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003 > wrote: What I want to know is where am I supposed to come up with the money to pay my FASFA loan and what in the world am I supposed to do with my Associates degree once I get it. After this quarter, I have twelve more weeks. My graduation is in April. Am I really supposed to drop out of school when I am SO close to getting my degree I can smell it? And what about the people that go through voc. rehab or like me go to some type of business college so they CAN work? Should I cancel my party plans after I graduate? I['m not trying to be smart aleck, but I already have pictures for my wall. Not to be

sarcastic, but I don't recall having a party for every picture, plaque or wall hanging I put up on the wall. I don't need a very extremely expensive wall hanging. I need to pay for that education somehow. I'm sorry, I feel I have to risk working and getting off of SSD. I do not have a livable income. It's bad enough that one bill collector after another is after me, but once I graduate and even if I don't that'll be ONE MORE BILL COLLECTOR after my behind. SusieReni <psalms107_20 > wrote: Suzie then that is nice that u make that amount in ssdi. u paid in that much and worked some jobs that paid u well. i have a doctorate degree

and am drawing ssdi that is about 1/3 of the amount i used to bring home a month. talk about some changes :) but its okay i dont look for my provisions anywhere but above anyways. Take care!suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003 > wrote: The biggest problem I've found is that I receive too much SSD to qualify for government assistance programs, but not enough to consider it a substantial income. I don't care that I can't afford champagene and caviar. I'm a beer and pretzel type anyway. But when you can't afford to live in the manner in which you were accustomed and you weren't accustomed to any fancy pancy hoity toity lifestyle anyway. I can't believe I've "earned"

the right to live below the poverty level. I'm one quarter shy of getting an associates degree in Criminal Justice and fully intend to get my bachelors degree. Somehow or another my FASFA loan has to be paid for, so I have to look into being able to work. Susiecitoldusew <citoldusewgmail> wrote: Vicki, I'm sorry that you are going through this............but glad to hear that I'm not alone. Living from paycheck to paycheck has been hard especially with the

holidays. My husband used to be able to work overtime but now that's been taken away. we are not even breaking even anymore. It's frustrating to think I worked *hard* my entire life, paid taxes and into the ss system thinking that when/if I needed it I would be able to collect. I have multiple doctors notes that state that I have 0% occupational use of my hands. Yet the ss people tell me I can still find a job...... I just don't think anyone would ever hire me a as a belly dancer. I was a single mother, my husband died young. I had young children but not once did I think of collecting welfare. It's those very few that have abused the system that are making it harder for the honest but deserving people. SSDI isn't a hand out, it's a mandatory government program that we paid into. Yet there are

double standards used for paying claims. I've discovered that if you know a government official; elected or 'somebody who know's somebody' one word from said person will get your claim approved pretty quickly. The rest of us hard working sobs will are left to grovel and beg. -------Original Message------- From: Vicki Hoyt Date: 12/5/2007 6:21:02 AM Rheumatoid Arthritis Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole. I have been denied twice for SSDI. Now I have

a Disability Advocate. Wish me luck, Vicki ----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargadgmail>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done

faithfully and make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusewgmail (DOT) com>

wrote: I wish I could get SSI. Denied, denied, denied. The mental anguish is NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved? IMO I wouldn't do anything to risk losing it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with

Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Susie, Not at all,I just wish you the best :) Hope things work out for u real soon! love, Renisuzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003@...> wrote: Reni, I'm sorry if I sounded like a real b-. i just feel like I'm running

around like a chicken with my head chopped off. I'm not real sure I know how to describe what FASFA is but the closest I can come is it is a government funded student loan. I think. It's been so long since I initially applied I forget. Thanks for trying to help. I'll try to be a lot less snappy. SusieReni <psalms107_20 > wrote: Susie, I for sure think u should finish ur degree! And I ambeno means telling u to

stay on disability or to get on it. I have had ra since i was about 25 yr old. I have gone to college and earn my degrees and worked for about 20 yrs in my profession or related fields. I eventually had to stop working as I was more in need of help due to ra than the special children I taught. Unfortunately this happened when I was 46 yr old. I am now almost 52. I still feel I have much to offer others but have also found realistically this disease has taken such a toll on my physically that I can no longer drive or walk but from chair to chair. My hands are now deformed to the point they look like little paws lol and I am in much pain almost all the time. I do treasure the yrs I worked and was able to get around without help. If you are able to drive and get to school and take classes and do the things involved in getting your degree

why not go get a job? As far as the fasfa, I am not sure what that is, is it like a student loan? Can you speak with them and get a forbearance and then reenstate the loan payments when you get settled into a job? You are going to have to do some calling and find out what your alternatives are. If there is some way of helping let me know I will try and help. Short of send finances as mine are very limited. Please know I am on your side in this thing! I want you to be successful! take care and blessings!suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003 > wrote: What I want to know is where am I supposed to come up with the money to pay my FASFA loan and what in the world am I supposed to do with my Associates degree once I get it. After this

quarter, I have twelve more weeks. My graduation is in April. Am I really supposed to drop out of school when I am SO close to getting my degree I can smell it? And what about the people that go through voc. rehab or like me go to some type of business college so they CAN work? Should I cancel my party plans after I graduate? I['m not trying to be smart aleck, but I already have pictures for my wall. Not to be sarcastic, but I don't recall having a party for every picture, plaque or wall hanging I put up on the wall. I don't need a very extremely expensive wall hanging. I need to pay for that education somehow. I'm sorry, I feel I have to risk working and getting off of SSD. I do not have a livable income. It's bad enough that one bill collector after another is after me, but once I graduate and even if I don't that'll be ONE MORE BILL COLLECTOR after my behind. SusieReni

<psalms107_20 > wrote: Suzie then that is nice that u make that amount in ssdi. u paid in that much and worked some jobs that paid u well. i have a doctorate degree and am drawing ssdi that is about 1/3 of the amount i used to bring home a month. talk about some changes :) but its okay i dont look for my provisions anywhere but above anyways. Take care!suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003 > wrote: The

biggest problem I've found is that I receive too much SSD to qualify for government assistance programs, but not enough to consider it a substantial income. I don't care that I can't afford champagene and caviar. I'm a beer and pretzel type anyway. But when you can't afford to live in the manner in which you were accustomed and you weren't accustomed to any fancy pancy hoity toity lifestyle anyway. I can't believe I've "earned" the right to live below the poverty level. I'm one quarter shy of getting an associates degree in Criminal Justice and fully intend to get my bachelors degree. Somehow or another my FASFA loan has to be paid for, so I have to look into being able to work. Susiecitoldusew <citoldusewgmail> wrote: Vicki, I'm sorry that you are going through this............but glad to hear that I'm not alone. Living from paycheck to paycheck has been hard especially with the holidays. My husband used to be able to work overtime but now that's been taken away. we are not even breaking even anymore. It's frustrating to think I worked *hard* my entire life, paid taxes and into the ss system thinking that when/if I needed it I would be able to collect. I have multiple doctors notes that state that I have 0% occupational use of my hands. Yet the ss people tell me I can still find a job...... I just don't think anyone would ever hire me a as a belly

dancer. I was a single mother, my husband died young. I had young children but not once did I think of collecting welfare. It's those very few that have abused the system that are making it harder for the honest but deserving people. SSDI isn't a hand out, it's a mandatory government program that we paid into. Yet there are double standards used for paying claims. I've discovered that if you know a government official; elected or 'somebody who know's somebody' one word from said person will get your claim approved pretty quickly. The rest of us hard working sobs will are left to grovel and beg. -------Original

Message------- From: Vicki Hoyt Date: 12/5/2007 6:21:02 AM Rheumatoid Arthritis Subject: Re: Income Re: question about SSDI I was diagnosed in 2002. I started the road to SSDI one year and two months ago. Waiting for a court date. I agree about people who have babies to get more money from

welfare. We live paycheck to paycheck on my hubby's income plus credit cards. Sometimes I feel like filing bancruptcy just to dig us out of oour hole of debt. But we keep plugging on, digging a deeper hole. I have been denied twice for SSDI. Now I have a Disability Advocate. Wish me luck, Vicki ----- Original Message ----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargadgmail>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:02:30 AMSubject: Re:

Income Re: question about SSDI I can say that it was a shocking harsh reality seeing how the other half, the down trodden live. I had to apply for services and when I tell you it was the most degrading and depressing experience I ever had, I mean it. It almost isnt worth it until you get it. The key is to be honest. Go to your doctors appts like clockwork, get your labs done faithfully and make sure your doctor will go to bat for you. Get a Disability Advocate/Lawyer. You literally have to sue for what is due you. Women with six screaming kids with six different fathers living on welfare get everything through the system and the people who cant walk or stand get nothing or have to go through such anguish for something that is their due. It takes two years from disease onset and diagnosis to be awarded and they will deny you on that alone. I was 33 when I

became ill and it took two years to get the award. Do not rely on community advocates to apply for you or the social security workers either. Only a lawyer should petition for you. I hope that helps you. Good Luck. Deborah On Dec 4, 2007 10:23 PM, citoldusew <citoldusewgmail (DOT) com> wrote: I wish I could get SSI. Denied, denied, denied. The mental anguish is NOT worth it. Anyone know any secrets to getting approved? IMO I wouldn't do

anything to risk losing it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a

thing. Make your homepage. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Dear Susie- I like to bake when my RA allows. I end up with rabbit ears also. Brainstorming can be a good thing. There are ways you can earn a small amount of extra money by selling books etc on amazon or ebay or

half.com. It doesnt come to much for me but it does help. I also sell on ebay infrequently and usually buy more than I sell. I make an occassional trip to the post office to ship things. I love christmas but buy for people with careful planning due to financial considerations. I am sure you know about that!! Email when you have a chance and tell me more about your self. Take Care, Deborah

On Dec 6, 2007 8:59 PM, cat_lady20042003 <cat_lady20042003@...> wrote:

> >> >> > In a message dated 11/30/07 10:25:46 PM, cynthiadew1@... writes:> >> >> > Both programs look at if you are capable of doing SGA or Substantial> > Gainful Activity. Which is monthly income of about $800 from a work> > activity.> > =================================> >> > You are correct, , at least in reference to SSDI (Social Security> > Disability Insurance). I don't know about SSI (Supplemental Security> > Income), so I can't comment on that program.> >> > I no longer work at all at a regular job (SGA). But I once assisted a> > blind woman who received SSDI, and worked part-time. I don't recall how> > much she made at her job, but she knew exactly how much she could earn> > before it would impact her SSDI benefits. In her case, she really needed> > the extra income: She received less than $800 from SSDI but was ineligible> > for subsidized housing or food stamps, or any government program for the> > poor.

> >> > BTW, being blind is the only condition I am aware of where the person is> > automatically granted SSDI benefits without having to prove disability. All> > that's needed is a diagnosis of being legally blind.

> >> > Regards,> > BeingIrish> >> >> >> >> > **************************************> > Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products.

> > (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)> >> >> >

> > ------------------------------ > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.<http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http://www./r/hs

>> >> > > >>

Dear Deborah, What part of the country are you from? I'm from Indianapolis. I love the city but not the winter weather. I find myself tinkering with the idea of moving to a warmer, drier climate, but don't want to move from my family. Also, I'm a huge Colts fan and would hate to miss their games. (LOL, maybe the Colts can move to Phoenix and the Cardinals can move to Indy.) Seriously, my biggest concern about that I don't know where the cost of living would be better than Indianapolis. I like to read and read as much as time allows and as long as the cats will let me. One of my cats are a lap kitty. Take care and have a good day. SusieDeborah Bargad <dbargad@...> wrote: Dear Susie- I like to bake when my RA allows. I end up with rabbit ears also. Brainstorming can be a good thing. There are ways you can earn a small amount of extra money by selling books etc on amazon or ebay or half.com. It doesnt come to much for me but it does help. I also sell on ebay infrequently and usually buy more than I sell. I make an occassional trip to the post office to ship things. I love christmas but buy for people with careful planning due to financial considerations. I am sure you know about that!! Email when you have a chance and tell me more about your self. Take Care, Deborah On Dec 6, 2007 8:59 PM,

cat_lady20042003 <cat_lady20042003 > wrote: > >> >> > In a message dated 11/30/07 10:25:46 PM, cynthiadew1@... writes:> >> >> > Both programs look at if you are capable of doing SGA or Substantial> > Gainful Activity. Which is monthly income of about $800 from a work> > activity.> > =================================> >> > You are correct, , at least in reference to SSDI (Social Security> > Disability Insurance). I don't know about SSI (Supplemental Security> > Income), so I can't comment on that program.> >> > I no longer work at all at a regular job (SGA). But I once assisted a> > blind woman who received SSDI, and worked part-time. I don't recall how> > much she made at her job, but she knew

exactly how much she could earn> > before it would impact her SSDI benefits. In her case, she really needed> > the extra income: She received less than $800 from SSDI but was ineligible> > for subsidized housing or food stamps, or any government program for the> > poor.> >> > BTW, being blind is the only condition I am aware of where the person is> > automatically granted SSDI benefits without having to prove disability. All> > that's needed is a diagnosis of being legally blind. > >> > Regards,> > BeingIrish> >> >> >> >> > **************************************> > Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products. > > (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)> >> >> >> > ------------------------------ > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.<http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http://www./r/hs >> >> > > >>

Dear Susie- I am a big red sox fan. I was born in boston and lived in that area most of my life, in the suburbs of boston that is. I moved to California for a few years but believe it or not, I missed rain and snow. I moved back home and live in MA for a year or so and then met my current love of five years, Ken who resides in Maine. We used to go way up to northern maine as a child to fish as a vacation but I live on the coast here now. The weather is brutal. I have no tolerance for the cold and my RA lets me know when there is a storm coming which is almost every other day. We cant get above 29 for a high since mid november. I want so much to move to AZ but Ken cant leave his position as a lifetime employee at USPS. I really dont know how much longer I can stay in cold like this. I live in an apt with a subsidy and ken lives in a very small L shaped ranch. We are trying to list and sell his place to find a larger one for both of us but the market is at a stand still. Its hard having a third floor walk up apt. I dont have much family but Ken does. He works 12pm -11pm every day and weekends off every two weeks. I am a night person so I am used to his hours now. We have a cat who loves laps too. The cost of living here is insane. Very expensive. I wonder what AZ is like. One of my best friends moved her entire family out there and seems to like it alot. You can buy trailers down there for little money and live a life of ease. Trailers dont have the stigma out west that they do here. Its the " IN " thing there now adays. I love to knit. It is murder on my hands but I am so addicted to it. I knit a row here and there as my flares allow. Well thats it from here for now. Tell me more about you. Maybe we should just up and move to AZ together LOL. Have a great day. Deborah

On Dec 7, 2007 7:59 PM, suzette ridgeway <cat_lady20042003@...> wrote:

Dear Deborah,

What part of the country are you from? I'm from Indianapolis. I love the city but not the winter weather. I find myself tinkering with the idea of moving to a warmer, drier climate, but don't want to move from my family. Also, I'm a huge Colts fan and would hate to miss their games. (LOL, maybe the Colts can move to Phoenix and the Cardinals can move to Indy.) Seriously, my biggest concern about that I don't know where the cost of living would be better than Indianapolis.

I like to read and read as much as time allows and as long as the cats will let me. One of my cats are a lap kitty.

Take care and have a good day.

Susie

Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...> wrote:

Dear Susie- I like to bake when my RA allows. I end up with rabbit ears also. Brainstorming can be a good thing. There are ways you can earn a small amount of extra money by selling books etc on amazon or ebay or half.com. It doesnt come to much for me but it does help. I also sell on ebay infrequently and usually buy more than I sell. I make an occassional trip to the post office to ship things. I love christmas but buy for people with careful planning due to financial considerations. I am sure you know about that!! Email when you have a chance and tell me more about your self. Take Care, Deborah

On Dec 6, 2007 8:59 PM, cat_lady20042003 <cat_lady20042003@...> wrote:

> >> >> > In a message dated 11/30/07 10:25:46 PM, cynthiadew1@... writes:> >> >> > Both programs look at if you are capable of doing SGA or Substantial

> > Gainful Activity. Which is monthly income of about $800 from a work> > activity.> > =================================> >> > You are correct, , at least in reference to SSDI (Social Security> > Disability Insurance). I don't know about SSI (Supplemental Security> > Income), so I can't comment on that program.> >> > I no longer work at all at a regular job (SGA). But I once assisted a> > blind woman who received SSDI, and worked part-time. I don't recall how> > much she made at her job, but she knew exactly how much she could earn> > before it would impact her SSDI benefits. In her case, she really needed> > the extra income: She received less than $800 from SSDI but was ineligible> > for subsidized housing or food stamps, or any government program for the> > poor.

> >> > BTW, being blind is the only condition I am aware of where the person is> > automatically granted SSDI benefits without having to prove disability. All> > that's needed is a diagnosis of being legally blind. > >> > Regards,> > BeingIrish> >> >> >> >> > **************************************> > Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest products. > > (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)> >> >> >

> > ------------------------------ > > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.<http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http://www./r/hs >> >> > > >>