RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: cramps in feet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Mine do but i've been off it for months now so I just assumed it's the RA more than anything else . fingers and feet . ----- Original Message ----From: CAROLE MCGINLEY <scotconnect@...>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Monday, July 2, 2007 5:37:04 PMSubject: Re: cramps in feet

Ive been on MTX for 6 weeks now and am waiting to notice any improvement, apart from painkillers that's all i am taking i used to get bad cramps before i took MTX when i was on sulfasalazine and haven't noticed it getting worse. i drink tonic water before i go to bed has anyone else had pains or weird feelings in the tops of their fingers on MTX; my doctor says it isn't a symptom of MTX Caz

Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on TV.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

MTX dehydrates the heck out of you. Drink gatorade which helps. Avoid caffiene or alcohol also. My DH has severe cramping because he doesnt drink much water. Sharon's advice sounds fine. You may need to take SOMA or a muscle relaxant or an Ativan derivative to help with this. Also a heating pad might help. Be sure to consult with an Rheumatologist too. Good Luck. Deborah

On 7/13/07, Sharon Wertz <sbwertz@...> wrote:

I've been on methotrexate since 2004 and pretty much in remission for the past two years. The cramps are common but there are two major treatments that work for me. To prevent them, drink at LEAST two quarts of WATER a day, this is in addition to coffee, soda, anything else you drink. I keep a two leter jug of water by my chair and it must be empty at the end of the day.For treatment when they happen, rub your feet with rubbing alcohol. This always relieves the cramps for me so I can go back to sleep.

Sharon>> I am taking methotrexate - 17.5 mg per week, which I have been on for > 12 weeks now after having ESR reading of 130 approx 16 weeks ago !> My pain levels have finally started to improve, and ESR now down to 70 > which is still high I understand (not sure how to measure ESR - ie > whats good and whats bad).> > During the last 2 weeks I have noticed I am having quite severe cramps > in my feet (the toes going into a complete spasm) can anyone advise me > if they have had this problem whilst taking methotrexate and if so, do > I need to speak to Rheumatologist about it - I have been completely > wiped out by my RA this past 6 months - only having been diagnosed 16 > weeks ago, after many years of suffering.> > Here in the UK we are unable to get Enbrel and Remicade without having > to try methotrexate first, as it is so much cheaper. I might end up on > one of these drugs eventually but meanwhile I have to carry on with MTX.> I am 58 years old, mum to three grown ups and grandma to one 4 year > old, and my family and husband want their mum/wife back !!

> > best wishes to all - Lynda>

Guest guest

Hello Deborah and Sharon Thanks for your tips on muscle cramps and MTX. I have followed your advice and I have been drinking a lot more fluids and it has helped a little, though still getting cramps. I am seeing my rheumatologist soon as I have more problems. I have recently come out in a very bad rash on my elbows and upper arms, which is driving me mad !! so I have had to reduce my dosage and what with the cramps it seems I may need to change from methotrexate. I have only reduced my dosage this week so I am fearing a possible flare. Will probably see consultant next Friday, so will let you know what happens. My general practitioner is very concerned with these problems I am experiencing and also the fact that I am now very iron deficient even though I am taking a quite large iron supplement, and feeling very tired and low. Compared to the immense pain levels I was experiencing before taking MTX I feel much better in that respect, but these side effects are a real nuisance. My sister also suffers RA and after quite a long period was put on Enbrel and has found this drug to be great, but here in UK it takes some time to get to that drug, they try all the cheaper ones first, Maybe I'll get there in the end !! best wishes from a very wet and cold Shropshire in England LyndaDeborah Bargad <dbargad@...> wrote: MTX dehydrates the heck out of you. Drink gatorade which helps. Avoid caffiene or alcohol also. My DH has severe cramping because he doesnt drink much water. Sharon's advice sounds fine. You may need to take SOMA or a muscle relaxant or an Ativan derivative to help with this. Also a heating pad might help. Be sure to consult with an Rheumatologist too. Good Luck. Deborah On 7/13/07, Sharon Wertz <sbwertz > wrote: I've been on methotrexate since 2004 and pretty much in remission for the past two years. The cramps are common but there are two major treatments that

work for me. To prevent them, drink at LEAST two quarts of WATER a day, this is in addition to coffee, soda, anything else you drink. I keep a two leter jug of water by my chair and it must be empty at the end of the day.For treatment when they happen, rub your feet with rubbing alcohol. This always relieves the cramps for me so I can go back to sleep. Sharon>> I am taking methotrexate - 17.5 mg per week, which I have been on for > 12 weeks now after having ESR reading of 130 approx 16 weeks ago !> My pain levels have finally started to improve, and ESR now down to 70 > which is still high I understand (not sure how to measure ESR - ie > whats good and whats bad).> > During the last 2

weeks I have noticed I am having quite severe cramps > in my feet (the toes going into a complete spasm) can anyone advise me > if they have had this problem whilst taking methotrexate and if so, do > I need to speak to Rheumatologist about it - I have been completely > wiped out by my RA this past 6 months - only having been diagnosed 16 > weeks ago, after many years of suffering.> > Here in the UK we are unable to get Enbrel and Remicade without having > to try methotrexate first, as it is so much cheaper. I might end up on > one of these drugs eventually but meanwhile I have to carry on with MTX.> I am 58 years old, mum to three grown ups and grandma to one 4 year > old, and my family and husband want their mum/wife back !! > > best wishes to all - Lynda>

Guest guest

Hello all. I have used quinine when I can get it for leg and feet camps and it keeps the cramps away unless I forget to take it. used to use about 325mg once a month but since it seems to have been withdrawn from the market, I drink a bit of tonic water which should contain a bit of quinine. Agree, 2 quarts water above other fluid.-- Best , Leona---- KENNETH PARTON <lynda.parton@...> wrote:> Hello Deborah and Sharon>>> Thanks for your tips on muscle cramps and MTX. I have followed your advice and I have been drinking a lot more fluids and it has helped a little, though still getting cramps.

Guest guest

Dear Lynda- A Rash is common with MTX. Try caladril lotion/cream. It helps. There are several other options besides MTX if its not meant for you. Be sure to have your thyroid checked, and find out why your iron levels are so low. You should also see if taking folic acid or leucovorin would help you. It should be used in conjunction with MTX. Let us know how it goes. Hugs, Deborah

On 7/13/07, KENNETH PARTON <lynda.parton@...> wrote:

Hello Deborah and Sharon

Thanks for your tips on muscle cramps and MTX. I have followed your advice and I have been drinking a lot more fluids and it has helped a little, though still getting cramps. I am seeing my rheumatologist soon as I have more problems. I have recently come out in a very bad rash on my elbows and upper arms, which is driving me mad !! so I have had to reduce my dosage and what with the cramps it seems I may need to change from methotrexate.

I have only reduced my dosage this week so I am fearing a possible flare. Will probably see consultant next Friday, so will let you know what happens. My general practitioner is very concerned with these problems I am experiencing and also the fact that I am now very iron deficient even though I am taking a quite large iron supplement, and feeling very tired and low.

Compared to the immense pain levels I was experiencing before taking MTX I feel much better in that respect, but these side effects are a real nuisance. My sister also suffers RA and after quite a long period was put on Enbrel and has found this drug to be great, but here in UK it takes some time to get to that drug, they try all the cheaper ones first, Maybe I'll get there in the end !!

best wishes from a very wet and cold Shropshire in England

Lynda Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...> wrote:

MTX dehydrates the heck out of you. Drink gatorade which helps. Avoid caffiene or alcohol also. My DH has severe cramping because he doesnt drink much water. Sharon's advice sounds fine. You may need to take SOMA or a muscle relaxant or an Ativan derivative to help with this. Also a heating pad might help. Be sure to consult with an Rheumatologist too. Good Luck. Deborah

On 7/13/07, Sharon Wertz <sbwertz@...> wrote:

I've been on methotrexate since 2004 and pretty much in remission for the past two years. The cramps are common but there are two major treatments that work for me. To prevent them, drink at LEAST two quarts of WATER a day, this is in addition to coffee, soda, anything else you drink. I keep a two leter jug of water by my chair and it must be empty at the end of the day.For treatment when they happen, rub your feet with rubbing alcohol. This always relieves the cramps for me so I can go back to sleep. Sharon>> I am taking methotrexate - 17.5 mg per week, which I have been on for > 12 weeks now after having ESR reading of 130 approx 16 weeks ago !> My pain levels have finally started to improve, and ESR now down to 70 > which is still high I understand (not sure how to measure ESR - ie > whats good and whats bad).> > During the last 2 weeks I have noticed I am having quite severe cramps > in my feet (the toes going into a complete spasm) can anyone advise me > if they have had this problem whilst taking methotrexate and if so, do > I need to speak to Rheumatologist about it - I have been completely > wiped out by my RA this past 6 months - only having been diagnosed 16 > weeks ago, after many years of suffering.> > Here in the UK we are unable to get Enbrel and Remicade without having > to try methotrexate first, as it is so much cheaper. I might end up on > one of these drugs eventually but meanwhile I have to carry on with MTX.> I am 58 years old, mum to three grown ups and grandma to one 4 year > old, and my family and husband want their mum/wife back !! > > best wishes to all - Lynda>