RemedySpot.com

Re: FYI, for those who care

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

You are my new hero. I really enjoyed your letter about the meds, it made me feel like I wasn't a whimp. I do take pain meds, but I didn't for 3 years. I have a very aggressive form of ra, degenerative spine, osteoporisis, oa, sjogren's, diabetes, fibromyalgia and I have had 4 surgeries in 2 years. Sometime you just gotta do what u gotta do. No, I don't have a rocking chair, but I am getting one, and I am so gonna enjoy it:-)

Keep us informed, because I really care about what you have to say.

Hugs from Oklahoma......Gloria>> I am 55 years old. I had the first flare at 20 and then went into remission to the point that I forgot about having it at all except for occasional minor flares> I DO NOT take any kind of pain medication on a regular basis as I have a tendency to either vomit them right back up or break out in hives. (This includes most OTC).> I am a Marine. I joined the Corp after my first diagnosis and tolerated boot camp with no problems at 24 year old. I spent 2 years in the Corps and am glad I did because that is the only way I am eligible for any medical care that is not outrageously expensive. Enbrel is $1600 a month if you have to buy it in a pharmacy. (I only pay $8 a month)> I work a very physical job and am proud to say that I can work rings around most of the younger people that do the same job.> I tried herbals as a alternative to prescription medications but when it came to having to take 3 times the recommended dose of them to get any relief, I finally gave in and went on prescription medications.> I am well aware of the risks that I am taking by using prescription medications, I research them and have take what I have found to my rheumatologist, and then we discuss them.> I have yet to go on disability of any kind and plan on working as long as I can.> I DO NOT even own a rocking chair.> I just had a complete pulmonary work up that I passed with flying colors. I am also working on quitting smoking.> My attitude (according to my rheumatologist ) is part of the reason that I am able to function as well as I do. I still crochet and knit on a regular basis and even sell some of the things I make to people as a side line. I was unable to even hold a crochet hook for a while and still have days that it is painful, but between that and using a keyboard I have been able to keep function in my hands. I can't always open a jar, but I have learned small tricks to help with that. > All I can say to anyone is that if you don't like what I am saying for any reason, delete it, don't bother to read it. My name is always right up front when I send something. If I have stepped on your toes, sorry, but from what has been said by some I have helped and that was the whole idea for me joining this group to begin with. That and (if you are interested) because I was having a bad reaction to a prescription medication to begin with and I came here to see if anyone had had the same reaction.> > > > ---------------------------------> Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.>

Hey ....Congrads to you. I'm 58 years old and got diagnoised 6

years ago....I was a Navy wife for 22 yers and when I was having this

pain back in the early 70's they use to tell me that I need to

exercise and take Aspirin and I would be fine. One even told me I was

looking for pity becuase my husband was on s submarine and gone all

the time. I was the ombudsman for the command. They had attitude

towards active duty females and dependents, they don't have it

anymore and I sure am happy to see that. No one ever check

to see if it was RA. I take Humura and it also is $1600 a month but

it keeps me going and I have flair ups but nothing I can't handle. I

work 2 part-time jobs as a Nurse, so am on my feet and moving all the

time. I also knit and crochet and I agree it helps keep the joints

mobile. Stay in touch and best of luck to you. Mickey Swain

>

> I am 55 years old. I had the first flare at 20 and then went into

remission to the point that I forgot about having it at all except

for occasional minor flares

> I DO NOT take any kind of pain medication on a regular basis as I

have a tendency to either vomit them right back up or break out in

hives. (This includes most OTC).

> I am a Marine. I joined the Corp after my first diagnosis and

tolerated boot camp with no problems at 24 year old. I spent 2 years

in the Corps and am glad I did because that is the only way I am

eligible for any medical care that is not outrageously expensive.

Enbrel is $1600 a month if you have to buy it in a pharmacy. (I only

pay $8 a month)

> I work a very physical job and am proud to say that I can work

rings around most of the younger people that do the same job.

> I tried herbals as a alternative to prescription medications but

when it came to having to take 3 times the recommended dose of them

to get any relief, I finally gave in and went on prescription

medications.

> I am well aware of the risks that I am taking by using prescription

medications, I research them and have take what I have found to my

rheumatologist, and then we discuss them.

> I have yet to go on disability of any kind and plan on working as

long as I can.

> I DO NOT even own a rocking chair.

> I just had a complete pulmonary work up that I passed with flying

colors. I am also working on quitting smoking.

> My attitude (according to my rheumatologist ) is part of the reason

that I am able to function as well as I do. I still crochet and knit

on a regular basis and even sell some of the things I make to people

as a side line. I was unable to even hold a crochet hook for a while

and still have days that it is painful, but between that and using a

keyboard I have been able to keep function in my hands. I can't

always open a jar, but I have learned small tricks to help with

that.

> All I can say to anyone is that if you don't like what I am saying

for any reason, delete it, don't bother to read it. My name is

always right up front when I send something. If I have stepped on

your toes, sorry, but from what has been said by some I have helped

and that was the whole idea for me joining this group to begin with.

That and (if you are interested) because I was having a bad reaction

to a prescription medication to begin with and I came here to see if

anyone had had the same reaction.

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your

homepage.

>

I appaude you for being able to stay physical and to overcome the pain. Unfortunately some of us just can't seem to do it. I am working out on a recumbant baike and hope to add small weights for my arms. Syill fighting major fatigue. Can't afford biologics since I have to pay 25% for scripts. It's nice to know that the disease doesn't stop everyone.

Vicki

----- Original Message ----From: mary backs <haveyarn2crochet@...>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:47:36 AMSubject: FYI, for those who care

I am 55 years old. I had the first flare at 20 and then went into remission to the point that I forgot about having it at all except for occasional minor flaresI DO NOT take any kind of pain medication on a regular basis as I have a tendency to either vomit them right back up or break out in hives. (This includes most OTC).I am a Marine. I joined the Corp after my first diagnosis and tolerated boot camp with no problems at 24 year old. I spent 2 years in the Corps and am glad I did because that is the only way I am eligible for any medical care that is not outrageously expensive. Enbrel is $1600 a month if you have to buy it in a pharmacy. (I only pay $8 a month)I work a very physical job and am proud to say that I can work rings around most of the younger people that do the same job.I tried herbals as a alternative to prescription medications but when it came to having to take 3 times the

recommended dose of them to get any relief, I finally gave in and went on prescription medications.I am well aware of the risks that I am taking by using prescription medications, I research them and have take what I have found to my rheumatologist, and then we discuss them.I have yet to go on disability of any kind and plan on working as long as I can.I DO NOT even own a rocking chair.I just had a complete pulmonary work up that I passed with flying colors. I am also working on quitting smoking.My attitude (according to my rheumatologist ) is part of the reason that I am able to function as well as I do. I still crochet and knit on a regular basis and even sell some of the things I make to people as a side line. I was unable to even hold a crochet hook for a while and still have days that it is painful, but between that and using a keyboard I have been able to keep function in my hands. I can't always open a

jar, but I have learned small tricks to help with that. All I can say to anyone is that if you don't like what I am saying for any reason, delete it, don't bother to read it. My name is always right up front when I send something. If I have stepped on your toes, sorry, but from what has been said by some I have helped and that was the whole idea for me joining this group to begin with. That and (if you are interested) because I was having a bad reaction to a prescription medication to begin with and I came here to see if anyone had had the same reaction.

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.

Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside . See how.