RemedySpot.com

Re: meds

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don’t know if an allergist can

give you something to permit taking Arava without getting hives but you might

at least make a call. Plaquenil and Sulfasalazine are on average not as

effective as Methotrexate or Arava but for some people they work very well.

Sulfasalazine doesn’t work for people allergic to Sulfa drugs but except

for that both Plaquenil and Sulfasalazine tend to have fewer side effects.

The biologics are quite different from the pills and may not have any side

effects. Also antibiotic therapy (Tetracycline derivatives) usually has

few side effects and from the clinical trial data I have seen it seems to be as

good as the more common RA medications. I hope you get some relief.

God bless.

Harold

From: Rheumatoid Arthritis [mailto:Rheumatoid Arthritis ] On Behalf Of Ann

Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008

9:06 PM

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Subject:

[sPAM] meds

Well just had my RA appointment, got some bad news.

She first started me on methodrexate, I was allergic to it so she

changed to Arava and took it for a month and it for a month all of

sudden I began to get hives, I stopped for about 3 days and was ok,

started taking again and hives came back, The dr, took me off and is

going to wait for a week and see what also she can start me on, so not

having good luck with these meds, and the Arava really took all my

symtoms away, I am scared I am going to start hurting again.

If any suggestions please let me know.

I would think about low dose steriod therapy while on arava and or benadryl with the arava. Talk to your doctor about both!! Good Luck. Deborah

On Jan 5, 2008 1:06 AM, Ann <503salinas@...> wrote:

Well just had my RA appointment, got some bad news.She first started me on methodrexate, I was allergic to it so she changed to Arava and took it for a month and it for a month all of sudden I began to get hives, I stopped for about 3 days and was ok, started taking again and hives came back, The dr, took me off and is going to wait for a week and see what also she can start me on, so not having good luck with these meds, and the Arava really took all my

symtoms away, I am scared I am going to start hurting again.If any suggestions please let me know.

I tried to take Arava and it was wonderful taking away most of the pain and ra symptoms and then it started making me so sick, I was spending all my time in the bathroom. I was upset to not be able to take it , but it wasnt worth it to live in the bathroom. Keep trying u will find something that will work for you. Just be sure to give things plenty of a chance to even out and work for you, sometimes it does take my body a few days or weeks to adjust to new meds or raised doses. Hang in there. Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...> wrote: I would think about low dose steriod therapy while on arava and or benadryl with the arava. Talk to your doctor about both!! Good Luck. Deborah On Jan 5, 2008 1:06 AM, Ann <503salinassbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Well just had my RA appointment, got some bad news.She first started me on methodrexate, I was allergic to it so she changed to Arava and took it for a month and it for a month all of sudden I began to get hives, I stopped for about 3 days and was ok, started taking again and hives came back, The dr, took me off and is going to wait for a week and see what also she can start me on, so not having good luck with these meds, and the

Arava really took all my symtoms away, I am scared I am going to start hurting again.If any suggestions please let me know.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Arava had the same effect on me.........it gave me IBS like you cant believe and I was loosing weight on it like crazy too. It works through the stomach and intestinal tract. Some people cant tolerate that and some can. I couldnt. It lead to more problems for me but for some people it works wonders. Deborah

On Jan 6, 2008 10:45 PM, Reni <psalms107_20@...> wrote:

I tried to take Arava and it was wonderful taking away most of the pain and ra symptoms and then it started making me so sick, I was spending all my time in the bathroom. I was upset to not be able to take it , but it wasnt worth it to live in the bathroom. Keep trying u will find something that will work for you. Just be sure to give things plenty of a chance to even out and work for you, sometimes it does take my body a few days or weeks to adjust to new meds or raised doses. Hang in there.

Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...> wrote:

I would think about low dose steriod therapy while on arava and or benadryl with the arava. Talk to your doctor about both!! Good Luck. Deborah

On Jan 5, 2008 1:06 AM, Ann <503salinas@...> wrote:

Well just had my RA appointment, got some bad news.She first started me on methodrexate, I was allergic to it so she changed to Arava and took it for a month and it for a month all of sudden I began to get hives, I stopped for about 3 days and was ok, started taking again and hives came back, The dr, took me off and is going to wait for a week and see what also she can start me on, so not having good luck with these meds, and the Arava really took all my

symtoms away, I am scared I am going to start hurting again.If any suggestions please let me know.

Thank you for you response, I am trying to hang on but its getting harder and harder. I have a very heavy job, and without my meds its hard to function. Ann Salinas

I had no problems with stomach, it was the hives that got me. It was making me wonderful, all syntoms were gone, and I could move without having pain. I just to wait and see what else out there for me. Thank you Ann Salinas

Deborah, I am glad u shared that with me as I thot maybe it was all in my head..... sometimes my ra doc dosent tell me much. But sorry it made u sick too. Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...> wrote: Arava had the same effect on me.........it gave me IBS like you cant believe and I was loosing weight on it like crazy too. It works through the stomach and intestinal tract. Some people cant tolerate that and some can. I couldnt. It lead to more problems for

me but for some people it works wonders. Deborah On Jan 6, 2008 10:45 PM, Reni <psalms107_20 > wrote: I tried to take Arava and it was wonderful taking away most of the pain and ra symptoms and then it started making me so sick, I was spending all my time in the bathroom. I was upset to not be able to take it , but it wasnt worth it to live in the bathroom. Keep trying u will find something that will work for you. Just be sure to give things plenty of a chance to even out and work for you, sometimes it does take my body a few days or weeks to adjust to new meds or raised doses. Hang in there. Deborah Bargad <dbargadgmail> wrote: I would think about low dose steriod therapy while on arava and or benadryl with the arava. Talk to your doctor about both!! Good Luck. Deborah On Jan 5, 2008 1:06 AM, Ann <503salinassbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Well just had my RA appointment, got some bad news.She first started me on methodrexate, I was allergic to it so she changed to Arava and took it for a month and it for a month all of sudden I began to get hives, I stopped for about 3 days and was ok, started taking again and hives came back, The dr, took me off and is

going to wait for a week and see what also she can start me on, so not having good luck with these meds, and the Arava really took all my symtoms away, I am scared I am going to start hurting again.If any suggestions please let me know. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.