RemedySpot.com

Re: Recurring illness while on Humira

Rate this topic

Guest guest

ADVICE: HAND WASHING, hand washing, hand washing.

Keep purell or other antibacterial cleanser in easy reach at all times. Notice who is sick in your classroom and be especially careful around them. Make sure you NEVER touch your eyes, mouth or nose unless you have JUST washed your hands and not touched anything else prior.

You are so right, you are probably working in one of the worst germ environments, other than a hospital.

I am a registered nurse who does assessments on patients needing rehab. I travel to several hospitals during the course of a day, and probably one of the worst things I have to do is review the chart. People touch that chart and may or may not have washed their hands. I keep a large bottle of antibacterial gel in my car. As soon as I get in the car, first thing I do is use the gel. I also wash my hands frequently and before and after every contact with patients while in the hospitals. I have also practiced my rule FOREVER about never ever touching my nose, eyes or mouth (great portals of entry for germs) in that environment. If my nose itches, I go to the bathroom and wash my hands and then I can scratch it!

I rarely get sick, and I have been on prednisone most of the year. I was on Humira until late summer when it ceased working for me. I took a dose of Rituxan that ended in a disastrous allergic reaction, and then one month later I began Orencia infusions. I have still managed to avoid getting sick (knocking on wood!)

I also take my flu shot every fall, and just about 3 weeks ago, got a pneumonia shot.

You may already be doing all these things, but if you aren't, they are well worth a try. I hope that you find an answer. Its a shame to be in medicated remission and have the lowered immune system causing you such trouble. Keep us posted on how you are doing., 47, adult onset RA----- Original Message -----From: i_live_in_slippers <bart.tracy@...>Date: Sunday, December 30, 2007 21:29Subject: Recurring illness while on HumiraRheumatoid Arthritis > I have been on Humira for almost two years, and love it. It > works > wonderfully for me. It is all I take except for an occassion > Mobic when > I feel a little stiffness or swelling in my fingers. I think > I've only > had 1 flare while on it and then I just add a steroid pack.> > The bad part is that this year I went back to work (after being > a stay > at home mom for the past 8yr) in an elementary school and keep > getting > sick. I've been sick from Thanksgiving thru today. Ive been on > antibiotics three times and this time they're keeping me on them > for > three solid weeks to try to really kill anything that will > linger. My > dr. mentioned that working at a school probably isnt the best > place for > me and so I'm worried that if this continues I'm going to have > to quit > or try to find a diff med that doesnt lower my immune system as > much > and probably wont work as well. > > Any advice, suggestions or info??????> > > >