RemedySpot.com

RE: Iron Supplements???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Group:

My wife was recently diagonised with RA ( RA factor 77) . She was down with a bad flare. we had a baby only 4 months back . Its difficult to take care of the baby.

Now the doctor had prescribed Plaquenil 400mg and Sulfasaline 1.5g per day. In addition to that he as well prescried iron supplements to improve the haemoglobin level.

I learnt that iron supplements are bad for inflammation.

Does anybody know is it true??

Thanks"MAKE WORLD A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE"

I’m sorry to hear of your wife’s problems and hope

she gets relief soon. I can’t help with information about the iron

supplements but I think a pharmacist should be able give you a good

answer. They specialize in medications including side effects, and are

usually much more accessible than doctors. From my limited knowledge of

medicine I think getting the hemoglobin under control is important. Perhaps

if continued inflammation is a problem a doctor could prescribe

Prednisone. This is a very strong anti-inflammatory that usually acts

quickly to relieve many symptoms of RA. Unfortunately it also has some

bad side effects especially when used at high doses for long times. I

hope your wife gets effective treatment soon. God bless.

[mailto:Rheumatoid Arthritis ] On Behalf Of lakshmanan

lakshmanan

Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 6:27 PM

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Subject: RE: Iron Supplements???

Dear Group:

My wife was recently diagonised with RA ( RA factor 77) .

She was down with a bad flare. we had a baby only 4 months back . Its

difficult to take care of the baby.

Now the doctor had prescribed Plaquenil 400mg and

Sulfasaline 1.5g per day. In addition to that he as well prescried iron

supplements to improve the haemoglobin level.

Thanks

" MAKE WORLD A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE "

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.173 / Virus Database: 270.8.0/1720 - Release Date: 10/11/2008 3:59

PM

I am sorry to hear your wife has RA. It seems that so many women are getting this shortly after pregnancy. It must be a genetic/hormonal trigger. I would suggest that your wife be put on a biologic ASAP. This will stop the chemical process of inflammation dead in its tracks and bring almost immediate relief to your wife. I dont believe Iron will exacerbate her flare. Doctors will try conservative methods at first but if she doesnt see improvement straight away, push for a biologic, most conveniently remicade. This is given via Intravenous Infusion. It interrupts the cellular chain reaction that causes the disease. Please visit www.arthritisfoundation.org for information I havent covered here. Yours, Deborah

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:27 PM, lakshmanan lakshmanan <letchu_2001@...> wrote:

Dear Group:

My wife was recently diagonised with RA ( RA factor 77) . She was down with a bad flare. we had a baby only 4 months back . Its difficult to take care of the baby.

Now the doctor had prescribed Plaquenil 400mg and Sulfasaline 1.5g per day. In addition to that he as well prescried iron supplements to improve the haemoglobin level.

Thanks " MAKE WORLD A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE "

My doc

prescribed iron because anemia is another symptom of RA (caused by RA). I had

concerns because I was bruising badly, so the iron was prescribed and seemed to

help. By the way, the over-the-counter Slow Fe, when taken in the right amounts,

can be more cost-effective. Also, easier for the tummy. Might want to talk more

about it with your doc and pharmacist.

From: Rheumatoid Arthritis [mailto:Rheumatoid Arthritis ] On Behalf Of Deborah Bargad

Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008

3:54 AM

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Subject: Re:

Iron Supplements???

I am sorry to hear your wife has RA. It seems that so many women

are getting this shortly after pregnancy. It must be a genetic/hormonal

trigger. I would suggest that your wife be put on a biologic ASAP.

This will stop the chemical process of inflammation dead in its tracks and

bring almost immediate relief to your wife. I dont believe Iron will

exacerbate her flare. Doctors will try conservative methods at first but

if she doesnt see improvement straight away, push for a biologic, most

conveniently remicade. This is given via Intravenous Infusion. It

interrupts the cellular chain reaction that causes the disease. Please

visit www.arthritisfoundation.org

for information I havent covered here. Yours, Deborah

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:27 PM, lakshmanan lakshmanan <letchu_2001 > wrote:

Dear Group:

My wife was recently diagonised with RA ( RA factor 77)

.. She was down with a bad flare. we had a baby only 4 months back . Its

difficult to take care of the baby.

Now the doctor had prescribed Plaquenil 400mg and

Sulfasaline 1.5g per day. In addition to that he as well prescried iron

supplements to improve the haemoglobin level.

Thanks

" MAKE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

TO LIVE "

You are so right Deborah. After I had my son was when I was diagnosed and after I had my daughter it was so severe I couldnt take care of myself let alone a new baby. I mentioned this to my doctor and he said there are studies to that dont prove hormones have anything to do with it. I think different. After I stopped birth control when my son was two I ended up not having a period for two years, then I was diagnosed with RA with the ra factor being over 1500 and started gold injections and predinsone, shortly after starting treatments my periods came back, a few years later was when I got pregnant with my daughter. Seems like hormones to me!!!

Dear Group:

Thanks"MAKE WORLD A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE"

This is an article about pregnancy and Rheumatoid Arthritis. http://www.faqs.org/abstracts/Health/Prediction-of-postpartum-onset-of-rheumatoid-arthritis-Effects-of-hyperthermia-on-hypoxic-ischemic-b.html

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:47 PM, <angelac71@...> wrote:

You are so right Deborah. After I had my son was when I was diagnosed and after I had my daughter it was so severe I couldnt take care of myself let alone a new baby. I mentioned this to my doctor and he said there are studies to that dont prove hormones have anything to do with it. I think different. After I stopped birth control when my son was two I ended up not having a period for two years, then I was diagnosed with RA with the ra factor being over 1500 and started gold injections and predinsone, shortly after starting treatments my periods came back, a few years later was when I got pregnant with my daughter. Seems like hormones to me!!!

Dear Group:

I do think that laying dormant in most of the female population is the genetic trigger to develop some form of connective tissue disorder, namely RA, Lupus, MS, etc. I think it is directly linked to the cell division. The XY DNA code is effected during pregnancy. As the cells divide during pregnancy a genetic code is transfered to the fetus. It is within the code itself as it deciminates its message to the fetus that our immune system becomes imbalanced when flooded with hormones and genetic DNA. Somewhere within that reproductive language lies the key to how and why. A biologic works because it interferes with the biologic process of RA (namely chemical chain reactions of the cells. Pregnancy is nothing if not a Biologic Process. Be as well as you can be. Deborah

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:47 PM, <angelac71@...> wrote:

Dear Group:

FYI: If you take an iron supplement, do not take it with calcium. The iron binds the calcium and your body cannot absorb it. My pharmacist says to make sure you take them two hours apart. Then everything will get absorbed correctly.

Vicki