RemedySpot.com

Re: Chronic Dry Eye

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Yes, I have Chronic Dry Eye. I stopped wearing contacts a long time ago because of the risk of scratching my eye, and the consequences of that. I used otc drops(for severe dry eye) for a couple of years(during the worst phase as often as every hour for six to nine hours late afternoon/evening), and drank a lot more water. It gradually got better and now I rarely use drops at all. I don't know why it improved; my RA has improved also, and I've cut my plaquenil back by half with no obvious problems.

I hate wearing glasses, but I got some new Versace frames a while back that make me look cooler than I really am<G>. Or else they make me *think* I'm cooler than I really am. In any case, it helps me get over the loss of my contacts<g>.

----- Original Message ----From: hookedonpopcorn <hookedonpopcorn@...>Rheumatoid Arthritis Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:20:12 PMSubject: Chronic Dry Eye

Have any of you been dx with Chronic Dry Eye? If so, did your RA doctor mention RA as a risk for Chronic Dry Eye? Did any of you who were dx with Chronic Dry Eye continue to wear contacts and if so, how is it working for you.I've worn contacts for about 15 years. Last fall, I couldn't wear them for about 2 months because my eyes were irritated when I wore them. I went to my regular Dr and he said to use drops for one week, and then try the contacts again. It worked. Well, my contacts are started to bother me again.When I saw my RA Dr last month, he asked if I had been to my regular Dr for any reason recently. BTW, it was an interesting he asked me as I don't remember him asking me that before. I said yes and told him why. He then gave me a pamphlet on Restasis which is an eye drop some people use for Chronic Dry Eye. He said at this point he didn't think that was what it was, but it would be good for me to

research it and to be aware of it as it's a risk for those with RA.Jean

Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.Try the Beta.

Guest guest

Hi,

I have chronic dry eye due to sjogren's syndrome, which is common for ra patients. I also have an extremely dry mouth. I take evoxac for the ss. You might get your rheumy to check that out and go from there.

God Bless, Hugs from Ok., Gloria>> Yes, I have Chronic Dry Eye. I stopped wearing contacts a long time ago because of the risk of scratching my eye, and the consequences of that. I used otc drops(for severe dry eye) for a couple of years(during the worst phase as often as every hour for six to nine hours late afternoon/evening), and drank a lot more water. It gradually got better and now I rarely use drops at all. I don't know why it improved; my RA has improved also, and I've cut my plaquenil back by half with no obvious problems. > > I hate wearing glasses, but I got some new Versace frames a while back that make me look cooler than I really am<G>. Or else they make me *think* I'm cooler than I really am. In any case, it helps me get over the loss of my contacts<g>.> > > > ----- Original Message ----> From: hookedonpopcorn hookedonpopcorn@...> Rheumatoid Arthritis > Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 3:20:12 PM> Subject: Chronic Dry Eye> > Have any of you been dx with Chronic Dry Eye? If so, did your RA doctor > mention RA as a risk for Chronic Dry Eye? Did any of you who were dx > with Chronic Dry Eye continue to wear contacts and if so, how is it > working for you.> > I've worn contacts for about 15 years. Last fall, I couldn't wear them > for about 2 months because my eyes were irritated when I wore them. I > went to my regular Dr and he said to use drops for one week, and then > try the contacts again. It worked. Well, my contacts are started to > bother me again.> > When I saw my RA Dr last month, he asked if I had been to my regular Dr > for any reason recently. BTW, it was an interesting he asked me as I > don't remember him asking me that before. I said yes and told him why. > He then gave me a pamphlet on Restasis which is an eye drop some people > use for Chronic Dry Eye. He said at this point he didn't think that was > what it was, but it would be good for me to research it and to be aware > of it as it's a risk for those with RA.> > Jean> > > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________> TV dinner still cooling? > Check out "Tonight's Picks" on TV.> http://tv./>

Guest guest

Dear Jean- You have sjogens syndrome which is a drying of the tear ducts and mucous membranes including eyes, nose and mouth. This is a chronic condition. I use systane eye drops which are very helpful. I also use artificial tears generic. That helps. I have two pairs of glasses. I would love to wear contacts but can no longer do so. If you can carry some wetting solution with you in a small bottle with you and wet them as needed during your day. It does help alot to drink alot of water, lay off the salt and caffiene. I know contacts stick to the eyeball so you might have to remove them and wet them again. Hugs, Deborah

On 3/25/07, hookedonpopcorn <hookedonpopcorn@...> wrote:

Have any of you been dx with Chronic Dry Eye? If so, did your RA doctor mention RA as a risk for Chronic Dry Eye? Did any of you who were dx with Chronic Dry Eye continue to wear contacts and if so, how is it working for you.I've worn contacts for about 15 years. Last fall, I couldn't wear them for about 2 months because my eyes were irritated when I wore them. I went to my regular Dr and he said to use drops for one week, and then try the contacts again. It worked. Well, my contacts are started to bother me again.When I saw my RA Dr last month, he asked if I had been to my regular Dr for any reason recently. BTW, it was an interesting he asked me as I don't remember him asking me that before. I said yes and told him why. He then gave me a pamphlet on Restasis which is an eye drop some people use for Chronic Dry Eye. He said at this point he didn't think that was what it was, but it would be good for me to research it and to be aware of it as it's a risk for those with RA.Jean

Guest guest

Thanks for the replies. Dang, I love wearing contacts. I'm going to try

using wetting drops several times a day to see if it improves, and so I

can continue wearing contacts. I do need to go to an eye Dr. to see if

I have Sjogen syndrome. I hadn't noticed having a dry nose or mouth,

but I'm probably at the beings stages of the syndrome of I have it.

Jean