Re: Help, now i'm really confused!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 1/29/08 4:13:07 PM, lixuan68@... writes:

Today i went to see a

"big shot" doctor here in NYC, and he said he didn't think i had RA at

all, just fibro. He wants me to stop taking methotrexate and

sulfazalazine but start this Lyrica instead. He says just by feeling

my joints I don't have any inflamation so I dont have RA.

====================================

Hi Lixuan,

I was diagnosed with RA some 25 years ago. I also have psoriatic arthritis.

I speak from experience when I say that just because blood work or "feeling the joints" doesn't indicate inflamation, it doesn't mean there is no pain, and it certainly does not mean that you do not have rheumatoid arthritis. Most good doctors know this.

You may want to investigate Lyrica before you agree to try it. It's a very new drug and does have side-effects, including potential serious weight gain.

If it were me, I would not stop taking the Mx and Sulfadiazine without consulting the doctor who prescribed them.

Good luck.

Clear Skies,

BeingIrish

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

A doctor will usually diagnose an RA patient only when a RA factor is positive. My RA did not come up until almost a year later. Arthritis and Fibromyalgia are both connective tissue diseases. You can have both. If you have symmetrical pain, RA seems likely although there are over 100 different forms of arthritis. Have they done a lupus panel on you? RA can lie hidden for an indefinite period of time and stew inside your body for ages before its even diagnosed. Do you have pain in your shoulders, back, hip, knees or feet? You can have Carpel Tunnel syndrome if it is directed only in your hands. You cannot have fibro unless its in many different pressure points in the above mentioned areas. What are you doing for work. Could it be aggravating your hands. Sounds like you need to stop using your hands. Braces would help. I would try neurontin for the pain because it sounds nerve related to me which is a symptom of carpel tunnel or a related connective tissue disorder. If it is just in your forearms, try this. Take and ice pack and lay it on the inside of your wrist. Wait a few minutes. If you feel real relief then you have inflammation there that is causing your pain. If it makes it worse, try using warm water or a heating pad on your inner or outer forearm. If the heat brings relief then you know its nerve or muscle related. I know its frustrating when doctors pull rabbits out of hats. They are all trying. Connective tissue disorders are very smart and can move around. Try these two tests and let me know what you find. We can go from there. Yours, Deborah

On Dec 31, 2007 8:45 PM, °²Á¢Ýæ <lixuan68@...> wrote:

Hi all,Happy New Year to all of you! I wish for a pain free year for all ofus in 2008!I've been suffering from constant pain for a year and a half. Thissummer i was diagnosed with RA because of RH factor of 110 or so. I

have symatrical pain in my forearms, wrists and hands - classicsymptoms of RA. However, I never have morning stiffness and blood workshows no inflamation. I have gone to several Rhumys and they all hadme on prednisone, methotraxate and sulfazalazine. These meds have

helped somewhat but i'm still in constant pain. Today i went to see a " big shot " doctor here in NYC, and he said he didn't think i had RA atall, just fibro. He wants me to stop taking methotrexate and

sulfazalazine but start this Lyrica instead. He says just by feelingmy joints I don't have any inflamation so I dont have RA. What do I do? Can I stop the metho and sulfa cold turkey? whom do ibelieve? why is everyone else thinking that i have RA but not this guy?

Please please any advise is appreciated!Lixuan