RemedySpot.com

Humira

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

my doc wants me to go on humira but im 71 years old and i think ill just wait till it gets worse - im on mx and feel pretty good i hurt at night a little and stiff in the mornings but feel pretty good during the day - no energy at all but ill try some of the ideas ive read ive only been diagnosed a year in my hands and arms

----- Original Message -----

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 6:01 PM

Subject: Humira

Greetings all..hope everyone is well, w/ minimal or no pain. I have a question about Humira. I recently started taking Humira Injections (subcutaneous) and they are very very painful. I have tried ice, but my rheumy said he doesn't like for me to use it because it can slow absorption due to constriction from the ice around injection site. What do you guys do about the pain???? Any ideas.....let me know.

Thanks

in WV

Don't be flakey. Get for Mobile and always stay connected to friends.

Guest guest

I haven't had a lot of pain but I find it helps if I wait a bit after I clean the injection site with the alcohol wipe. If I don't let it dry, it stings a little. I stick the needle in and wait a few seconds. Then I gently pull it out a tad to make sure there's no blood and then very slowly push in the needle. Some weeks the site is a bit sore to the touch but mostly it's fine. As Vicki said, I think slowness is the key. Good luck,On 3/17/07, Gleason <gleasongirl76@...> wrote:

Greetings all..hope everyone is well, w/ minimal or no pain. I have a question about Humira. I recently started taking Humira Injections (subcutaneous) and they are very very painful. I have tried ice, but my rheumy said he doesn't like for me to use it because it can slow absorption due to constriction from the ice around injection site. What do you guys do about the pain???? Any ideas.....let me know. Thanks in WV

Don't be flakey. Get for Mobile and

always stay connected to friends.

Guest guest

Ask your doc about numbing medication topically like lidocane. Something you can rub into your skin. I have never taken humira and am actually glad for the remicade IV since needles and I have an understanding. I will say that they prep my arm before the IV goes in with a warm to hot towel. It relaxes the muscles and capilaries and vessels. I could warm up the solution too if possible. Inject slowly after prepping. My girlfriend in AZ says she shoots enbrel after her shower. She says it hurts less. Hugs, Deborah

On 3/17/07, Gleason <gleasongirl76@...> wrote:

Greetings all..hope everyone is well, w/ minimal or no pain. I have a question about Humira. I recently started taking Humira Injections (subcutaneous) and they are very very painful. I have tried ice, but my rheumy said he doesn't like for me to use it because it can slow absorption due to constriction from the ice around injection site. What do you guys do about the pain???? Any ideas.....let me know.

Thanks

in WV

Don't be flakey. Get for Mobile and

always stay connected to friends.

Guest guest

Hi , I have been taking Humira for about a year and a half. My rheumatologist recommended leaving it out on the counter for about an hour and then injecting. This seems to have cut down on the pain a bit. Good luck! Gleason <gleasongirl76@...> wrote: Greetings all..hope everyone is well, w/ minimal or no pain. I have a question about Humira. I recently started taking Humira Injections (subcutaneous) and they are very

very painful. I have tried ice, but my rheumy said he doesn't like for me to use it because it can slow absorption due to constriction from the ice around injection site. What do you guys do about the pain???? Any ideas.....let me know. Thanks in WV Don't be flakey. Get for Mobile and always stay connected to friends.

Don't pick lemons.

See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.

Guest guest

My husband gives me mine, and he also lets in go in real slow. We also let it get to room temperature before he gives it to me and I think that helps somewhat.

Hugs,

Gloria> >> > *Greetings all..hope everyone is well, w/ minimal or no pain. I have a> > question about Humira. I recently started taking Humira Injections> > (subcutaneous) and they are very very painful. I have tried ice, but my> > rheumy said he doesn't like for me to use it because it can slow absorption> > due to constriction from the ice around injection site. What do you guys do> > about the pain???? Any ideas.....let me know. *> > *Thanks*> > * in WV *> >> > ------------------------------> > Don't be flakey. Get for Mobile<http://us.rd./evt=43909/*http://mobile./mail>and> > always stay connected<http://us.rd./evt=43909/*http://mobile./mail>to friends.> >> > > >>

Guest guest

i have been on humira now for about six months, one thing the nurse told me was to let the humira sit for like 15 minutes before injecting it because it hurts more when it is cold, also even though some say it is better to go slow i have found that fast is less painful. hopefully you find what works for you!!!

Need Mail bonding?Go to the Q&A for great tips from Answers users.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone just letting people know what happened two me on humira!I was in a full flare up when put on humira and it seemed two work good but felt i had no energy but because the pain had eased i was thankful. Over the next six mths I slowly deterrated as joints that were ok before the drug began to flare to the point i was chair bound. Then my doctor told me my body was rebelling against the drug hence no energy. so my experience of humira has not been good, nor the doctor who took so long to take action even though he had blood tests showing negative results! Hard to work out sometimes whether its the disease or the drugs, been through them all. Pity they can't find a cure rather than using drugs to kill our immune system and all the complications that follow. Oh well we live in hope hve a merry xmas read e-mails but only contribute occasionally.Download today! Free Windows Live software. Chat, search, share pics and more.

Very sorry to hear of your experience with Humira. My experience was quite different.

It worked great. I got relief and more energy than I had ever had on humira. Then I started with injection site reactions. Now people just put up with the reactions because they love the effects of the drug. For me it was like injecting acid into my skin each time. The site would swell, I mean from egg to orange size. It would burn and hurt for days!!! I started to get bruises left for weeks.

I got all the typical advice, ice, rotate sites, take benadryl, yada, yada!

I decided the side effects were not worth the help it was giving me. I noticed over the 2 months I took the drug that it was working less and lasting not nearly as long. I took myself off the drug. I also changed rheummy's at the same time. He looked and said never take this drug again.

The bruises were not bruises but tissue dying. The drug was burning and killing my tissue. I was lucky to end up with some scares and no real permanent damage. However I met a two ladies in another group that lose muscle and skin, resulting in wound care and skin graphs. I was shocked.

You have to be careful with these drugs...so very careful. Out bodies are smart and can adapt and change. At the same time...some of these drugs can be toxic for many of us.

toniMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Dear beingIrish

So soryy to hear about your problems with your rheumatoligist

I was on Orencia, and had all sort of side effects but she just

ignored them all, and i still was in pain,

So guess what, i landet up in the hospital with pneumonia,I was so

made, i changed DR, Plus i was writing her a letter letting her know

how i was feeling, I told her a pations savety should come first

before all the money the are making on those so called new super

drugs,PS, She once mentioned Arava to me,I dont know how old you are,

but older people just dont tolerate some drugs like a youg one, but

the Dr`s just dont care

Please take care, listen to your body,don`t take the crap, the are

feeding you.I have chronic lung problems, and all those newer drugs

are affecting sometimes your lungs,I did not wanted to take that drug

at all, but she scamed me in to it,after all, she made big bucks on it

Agein, listen to your body, not to those Dr`s

Love Marika

> I was prescribed Arava by my rheumatologist. After using it, I

experienced

> what felt like electrical shocks in my feet and one finger. I

called my

> rheumatologist and she prescribed -- vitamins. The feeling

tingling, to numbness to lack of any feeling in parts of my feet over

a six month

> period. I constantly called, visited and emailed my

rheumatologist, but she

> continued to ignore my symptoms. Long story short: I now have

permanent nerve

> damage in my feet from the Arava, which can cause peripheral

neuropathy, a

> known side-effect. While my rheumatologist was prescribing

vitamins, she never

> took me off the Arava and I stayed on it for 6 months and during

that time it

> was slowly poisoning me. I filed a complaint with my HMO about

the doctor,

> but I don't have much hope that they will do anything, and this doc

will

> continue to ignore side effects of her patients.

>

> Regards,

> BeingIrish

>

>

> **************

> Make your life easier with all your friends, email,

> and favorite sites in one place. Try it now. (http://www.aol.com/?

optin=new-dp & amp;

> icid=aolcom40vanity & amp;ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)

>

I have not had a bit of problem with Humira except when I had an

infections in my elbow and had to go off of it. With so many arthritis

drugs it is unclear if the drug is working or if you would have just

gotten better but I know it was working because when I had to stop I

went into a major flare. Of course, just as one might get better I

guess one could get worse just because that is the nature of the

disease but will be so glad get back on it. When I first started it

did burn a little then I started letting it come to room temp. at the

manufactures suggestion and it made all the difference in the world. I

have had RA since I was 3 1/2 (57 yrs) and have been on just about

everything out there including some research drugs so I know it can be

frustrating and not everything works the same for every one but I am

just glad Humira is working for me....at least for now

Wow, you are a real RA surviver!! I admire you. I have had it since I was 8 and am now 29. You are the only person I know that has grown up with it versus getting it later in life. The experience is much much different. Wouldn't you say? How do you feel it affected your social life? Meeting people? Dating? And how did it effect the stages of life? Most of the people I know have gotten it later in life after they had some life experiences without it. For us, though we do not know what life is like without it. How do you cope?

If these are too invasive questions, I understand? It is just nice to be able to talk to someone that get's it...I haven't found anyone yet. And the support groups in my area do not exsist for young adults.

Hope you are well.

Have a great holiday.

From: beezer6636 <beezer6636@...>Subject: Re: HumiraRheumatoid Arthritis Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 8:10 AM

I have not had a bit of problem with Humira except when I had an infections in my elbow and had to go off of it. With so many arthritis drugs it is unclear if the drug is working or if you would have just gotten better but I know it was working because when I had to stop I went into a major flare. Of course, just as one might get better I guess one could get worse just because that is the nature of the disease but will be so glad get back on it. When I first started it did burn a little then I started letting it come to room temp. at the manufactures suggestion and it made all the difference in the world. I have had RA since I was 3 1/2 (57 yrs) and have been on just about everything out there including some research drugs so I know it can be frustrating and not everything works the same for every one but I am just glad Humira is working for me....at least for now

• 5 months later...
Guest guest

I take Humira weekly using the Auto injectors. I had previously been on it with the standard pre-fill syringe. But I had many issues with site reactions and other reactions to it. Then I lost my insurance and had to stop it.

You doc should have given you a Humira training kit...or will do self injection training with you. If he does not go to Humira's website. www.humira.com and order one. They also send out sharp's containers for free as well.

This is my routine so I can stay on Humira and sofar its working.

I take 10 mg pred the day before, day of and day after my injection.

Claritin 10mg...every day.

Prep my site and pt lidocaine patch on it early the day of the injection.

Then clean and ice the spot before injecting.

Let the Humira sit out 30 mins to warm up before giving.

It still burns like heck...but at least its better than me wanting to run around the house screaming for hours after taking it cause its burning soo bad.

Yes...it does burn or sting.

Toni Cooking Dinner For Two? Sign Up Get Immediate Member-Only Savings.

Guest guest

humira does burn and there is not much you can do to eliminate it but you can decrease the pain and injection site reactions by:

1. take it out of the fridge at least 30mins and let it get to room temp

2. Numb the area you are going to inject with an ice pack

3. Take a antihistamine for the site injection reactions

Join myhuimira.com the offer support, from sharps container return program by mail, medication reminders, and other freebies.

It does suck, but it does give you a better quality of life. But keep in mind, at least it's only once every other week. And that it only takes one injection to have the quality of life it gives you instead of the alternative or what others have to go through...it could always be worse. At least that's what helps me get through it and the tough times.

From: maduroman_wcp <maduroman_wcp@...>Subject: Re:humiraRheumatoid Arthritis Date: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 3:04 PM

everything i've heard says it burns like a bitch. if it works for me i'll take the pain. problem is i hate needles. guess i'll have to man up and deal with it.my doctor has already told me that they'll do the 1st one to show me how. after that i'm on my own. does it make any difference on how fast you enject?gracias>> I take Humira weekly using the Auto injectors. I had previously been on it > with the standard pre-fill syringe. But I had many issues with site > reactions and other reactions to it. Then I lost my insurance and had to stop > it.> > You doc should have given you a Humira training kit...or will do self > injection

training with you. If he does not go to Humira's website. > _www.humira. com_ (http://www.humira. com) and order one. They also send out sharp's > containers for free as well. > > This is my routine so I can stay on Humira and sofar its working. > > I take 10 mg pred the day before, day of and day after my injection. > Claritin 10mg...every day.> Prep my site and pt lidocaine patch on it early the day of the injection. > Then clean and ice the spot before injecting.> Let the Humira sit out 30 mins to warm up before giving. > > It still burns like heck...but at least its better than me wanting to run > around the house screaming for hours after taking it cause its burning soo > bad. > > Yes...it does burn or sting. > > Toni> ************ **Cooking Dinner For

Two? Sign Up & Get Immediate Member-Only > Savings. > (http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100126575x122265 2750x1201460983/ aol?redir= http:%2F% 2Fad.doubleclick .net%2Fclk% 3B215225797% 3B37274671% 3Bq%3Fhttp: %2> F%2Frecipes. cookingfor2. pillsbury. com%2F%3FESRC% 3D934)>

Guest guest

To be honest with you..you burned like acid when I was doing the pre-filled syringes. I guess I was giving it too slow. I finally gave up it hurt soo bad...and it did not go away in a few short mins...it was more like hours of burning!

I think the autoinjectors work better. I refused to use them before because if it was going to hurt I wanted to control it....but now that I have been using them about 2 months now I really prefer them.

I inject into my stomach. I find that is the best.

Toni Discover the variety of Bisquick® mix. Get Recipes Savings Now.