>

>> When my wife looks down and then looks up, she usually gets a sharp pain

>> in

>> her forehead right between the eyes. That's the same thing we're talking

>> about, right, a migraine that soon goes away?>>>>>>>>

>>

> There is some confusion here.

> An eye migraine usually refers to traveling " globs " of light or flashes of

> light in the eyes WITHOUT THE PAIN OR HEADACHE..

> It can accompany a migraine headache.

> I have eye migraines with no pain.

> Pris

• 9 months later...

just wanted to ask if anyone knows about predisone, I am scared to

take because I heard that it makes you gain weight and it causes

diabetes, if anyone knows more about this let me know, I am suppose to

take 20mg aday, but I am taking only 10mg because I am scared of the

side effects.

• 2 months later...

Prednisone is a steriod which interferes with your metabolism. It works on the hypothyimus (pituitary gland) and triggers your starvation response. Doctors always give patients a high dose and then taper them down. That is a very dangerous idea unless you are being treated for lupus. Starting off with a one milligram a day dose for a few weeks is preferable. Your body cant be thrown into chaos like that without experiencing side effects. Your body will literally change the way it stores fats and water. Prednisone can only work if you give it something to feed on. If your body has very little to feed on, your chances of gaining weight are much less. Ten milligrams is too high to start with but a good place to taper down. When used with Ibuprofen and plaquenil it can help alot. I would cut my dosage 1 milligram per week every week until you are down to five milligrams. Cut your caffiene intake completely. Eat only lean proteins with lots of fruit and veggies. Avoid starches of any kind if possible. Take your prednisone in a split dose. Its also known as BID. I take 5mg in the AM to last me through the day. Your larger dose should be used when you need it most. It can cause a rush of hyperactivity, as well as psychological mood swings. It is a very strong drug and should be taken in small doses and used with a great deal of respect. It provides extra adrenaline to give pain relief but it also can have real side effects. I would look into taking a biologic straight away along with Methotrexate to lessen the inflammation and reduce your need for a high dose steriod. You will flare if you reduce the steriod too quickly so tapering slowly up and down is essential. I would go to www.google.com and educate yourself on the drug itself. Once you understand how it works, you can better understand how it can help you. It boggles my mind that doctors are still (my Rheumatologist included) so cavalier about giving high dose prednisone to RA patients. Its a terribly irresponsible thing to do. I have been there so I know. I gained 50 pounds myself and lost as much now at around 100 pds. If you give prednisone very little fuel to burn, it will work but only efficiently and thats a good thing. Give it just enough fuel (lean, no salt, low or no fat foods in SMALL quantities) and lots of fiber to work but not enough to make you gain weight. Taking prednisone carefully is not instinctive to every patient but for those who view it with caution and work with it respectfully it can be a great ally in your pain relief. Feel out your dosage literally. Feel how much you need to feel better without flaring. Split the dosage depending on when you will be active. You are working intelligently here and that a rare and amazing thing. Yours, Deborah

On Jan 9, 2008 9:14 PM, KERRY ROOT <rootkerry@...> wrote:

I took it for 2 years gained 40 lbs , the weight came right off as soon as I stopped. Humira is the miracle for me!! Ann <503salinas@...> wrote:

just wanted to ask if anyone knows about predisone, I am scared to take because I heard that it makes you gain weight and it causes diabetes, if anyone knows more about this let me know, I am suppose to

take 20mg aday, but I am taking only 10mg because I am scared of the side effects.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Don't forget that long term use can cause osteoporosis....----- Original Message -----From: Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...>Date: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:10Subject: Re: predisoneRheumatoid Arthritis > Prednisone is a steriod which interferes with your > metabolism. It works on> the hypothyimus (pituitary gland) and triggers your starvation > response.Doctors always give patients a high dose and then taper > them down. That is> a very dangerous idea unless you are being treated for > lupus. Starting off> with a one milligram a day dose for a few weeks is > preferable. Your body> cant be thrown into chaos like that without experiencing side > effects. Your> body will literally change the way it stores fats and > water. Prednisone can> only work if you give it something to feed on. If your > body has very little> to feed on, your chances of gaining weight are much less. > Ten milligrams is> too high to start with but a good place to taper down. > When used with> Ibuprofen and plaquenil it can help alot. I would cut my > dosage 1 milligram> per week every week until you are down to five milligrams. > Cut your> caffiene intake completely. Eat only lean proteins with > lots of fruit and> veggies. Avoid starches of any kind if possible. > Take your prednisone in a> split dose. Its also known as BID. I take 5mg in the > AM to last me through> the day. Your larger dose should be used when you need it > most. It can> cause a rush of hyperactivity, as well as psychological mood > swings. It is> a very strong drug and should be taken in small doses and used > with a great> deal of respect. It provides extra adrenaline to give pain > relief but it> also can have real side effects. I would look into taking > a biologic> straight away along with Methotrexate to lessen the inflammation > and reduce> your need for a high dose steriod. You will flare if you reduce > the steriod> too quickly so tapering slowly up and down is essential. I > would go to> www.google.com and educate yourself on the drug itself. > Once you understand> how it works, you can better understand how it can help > you. It boggles my> mind that doctors are still (my Rheumatologist included) so > cavalier about> giving high dose prednisone to RA patients. Its a terribly > irresponsiblething to do. I have been there so I > know. I gained 50 pounds myself and> lost as much now at around 100 pds. If you give prednisone > very little fuel> to burn, it will work but only efficiently and thats a good > thing. Give it> just enough fuel (lean, no salt, low or no fat foods in SMALL > quantities)and lots of fiber to work but not enough to make you > gain weight. Taking> prednisone carefully is not instinctive to every patient but for > those who> view it with caution and work with it respectfully it can be a > great ally in> your pain relief. Feel out your dosage literally. > Feel how much you need> to feel better without flaring. Split the dosage depending > on when you will> be active. You are working intelligently here and that a > rare and amazing> thing. Yours, Deborah> > On Jan 9, 2008 9:14 PM, KERRY ROOT <rootkerry@...> wrote:> > > I took it for 2 years gained 40 lbs , the weight > came right off as soon> > as I stopped. Humira is the miracle for me!!> >> > * Ann <503salinas@...>* wrote:> >> >> > just wanted to ask if anyone knows about predisone, I am > scared to> > take because I heard that it makes you gain weight and it causes> > diabetes, if anyone knows more about this let me know, I am > suppose to> > take 20mg aday, but I am taking only 10mg because I am scared > of the> > side effects.> >> >> > ------------------------------> > Never miss a thing. Make your > homepage.<http://us.rd./evt=51438/*http://www./r/hs>>> > > >>

Debra, thanks for this letter., I sent it to my children as a backup of my decision I made about 2 months ago to cut back on medication.I sHould have posted it differently as I notice that all posts were repeated back to this mail list... sorry. I have lost several lbs,about 10 lbs, but do fluctuate a lb or so.--, Lee,

---- Deborah Bargad <dbargad@...> wrote:> Prednisone is a steriod which interferes with your metabolism. It works on> the hypothyimus (pituitary gland) and triggers your starvation response.> Doctors always give patients a high dose and then taper them down. That is> a very dangerous idea unless you are being treated for lupus. Starting off> with a one milligram a day dose for a few weeks is preferable. Your body> cant be thrown into chaos like that without experiencing side effects. Your> body will literally change the way it stores fats and water. Prednisone can> only work if you give it something to feed on. If your body has very little> to feed on, your chances of gaining weight are much less. Ten milligrams is> too high to start with but a good place to taper down. When used with> Ibuprofen and plaquenil it can help alot. I would cut my dosage 1 milligram> per week every week until you are down to five milligrams. Cut your> caffiene intake completely. Eat only lean proteins with lots of fruit and> veggies. Avoid starches of any kind if possible. Take your prednisone in a> split dose. Its also known as BID. I take 5mg in the AM to last me through> the day. Your larger dose should be used when you need it most. It can> cause a rush of hyperactivity, as well as psychological mood swings. It is> a very strong drug and should be taken in small doses and used with a great> deal of respect. It provides extra adrenaline to give pain relief but it> also can have real side effects. I would look into taking a biologic> straight away along with Methotrexate to lessen the inflammation and reduce> your need for a high dose steriod. You will flare if you reduce the steriod> too quickly so tapering slowly up and down is essential. I would go to> www.google.com and educate yourself on the drug itself. Once you understand> how it works, you can better understand how it can help you. It boggles my> mind that doctors are still (my Rheumatologist included) so cavalier about> giving high dose prednisone to RA patients. Its a terribly irresponsible> thing to do. I have been there so I know. I gained 50 pounds myself and> lost as much now at around 100 pds. If you give prednisone very little fuel> to burn, it will work but only efficiently and thats a good thing. Give it> just enough fuel (lean, no salt, low or no fat foods in SMALL quantities)> and lots of fiber to work but not enough to make you gain weight. Taking> prednisone carefully is not instinctive to every patient but for those who> view it with caution and work with it respectfully it can be a great ally in> your pain relief. Feel out your dosage literally. Feel how much you need> to feel better without flaring. Split the dosage depending on when you will> be active. You are working intelligently here and that a rare and amazing> thing. Yours, Deborah