RemedySpot.com

RE: Activity after surgery

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Kim,

I'm just a few days shy of one year after TKR. I still have a little trouble completely straightening my knee when I sit flat on the ground but it could be my fault during PT. I guess I didn't work the hamstrings enough. But I can bend my knee completely and I have almost no pain. Only occasional stiffness. I walked and walked and walked at 6 days at Disney during Christmas and my feet really hurt, but my knee was fine.

I can bowl though I confess to still being hesitant to extend fully but that's my personality. I do still worry about the consequence of falling so I'm a little careful. I didn't play tennis before (well not since youth) but I probably wouldn't because it's just a high impact sport and I don't want to wear out this appliance. I don't run for the same reason. I can climb stairs up and down with ease. (except the disease caused by being chubby, but that's another story) but the most amazing thing is not hurting. Before TKR I had to use the electric carts in stores just to make it through. I walked four Disney parks without assistance.

I'm sure I could dance. I haven't been but dance around the house and find no pain involved. Like I said, I will probably always avoid high-impact activities because the Zimmer website cautioned against them and I can picture them not being great for the new knee. But I have no real restrictions otherwise and virtually no pain.

-----Original Message-----From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ]On Behalf Of hillebkn1961Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 3:04 PMJoint Replacement Subject: Activity after surgery

I have been looking through all of the good advice on this message board and have another question. After TKR, in a years time what is active afterwards? I guess what I am asking is what more are you able to do that you could do before surgery? For instance, now my knee hurts really bad if I go dancing. After surgery will I be able to do that without not being able to move the next day. Can I bowl, play tennis, walk at an amusement park? Kim

Kim, Wonderful question...I am wondering also what is ok and what is a

no no after a year. My right knee will be a year in June and I am 4

weeks post op on my left knee. I thought I had a one kind of

replacement but found out it was the Stryker Triathlon gender knee.

pam