RemedySpot.com

THANK YOU! (Re: ?!$*!#...WHEN do you know when it's THR time?)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Your information regarding mini-incisions isn't correct -- i.e. that there is less chance of dislocation.Most THR are minimally invasive in terms of the length of the incision as compared to the old days. The length of the incision has absolutely nothing to do with risk of dislocation -- and really not much else since most of the stuff occurs below the surface now anyway.Dislocation risk (putting aside one's personal anatomy) has to do very much with the size of the head -- i.e. in GENERAL, larger heads don't dislocate.And also the approach has much to do with risk of dislocation. I had what is known as the anterior approach -- incision is through the front and NO muscles are cut -- The risk of dislocation is almost nil and I had NO restrictions after surgery -- no need for elevated toilet seat etc. My surgical report indicated the OS tried to dislocate me but couldn't LOL This surgery is done on a special table since it requires the ability to do many x-rays and also for extreme precision -- one's feet are held in place with special "moon boots" -- you can google the fxPRO/anterior to see what I mean.The length of my incision is pretty normal -- maybe 4" or so but the surgery was what I would call "minimally invasive" in terms of what it did to me inside.On Jan 8, 2008, at 5:09 PM, hipsrus wrote:I wanted to say thank you to all who have responded thus far.I've been doing MUCH reading, and come across info. on both resurfacing (approved in US in 2006, but no real long term studies yet), THR (and associated videos and comparisons & the pros and cons to the resurfacing), and then the mini total hip replacements (smaller incisions, less of a chance of dislocation).My PT gave me the name of a guy where I am located who is supposed to be the best for replacements here, and from what it sounds like he does the mini approach for people my age (less down time, back to being active much earlier). I was told my OS knows him well, so I am hoping to ask alot of questions at my next appointment (if my phone call doesn't get returned) and consider all my options. It's just hard knowing how to know when the time is right. My PT says he is sure within the next couple years I will be needing to talk to someone about this, but I think it has to be even sooner than that.Figuring out my options are kind of hard though. We'll only be in our current location for 6 more months, and after that we'll be moving a great distance away and I will have to "start from scratch" with complete strangers who don't even know what's gone on with the surgeries I've been through. Couple that with the fact that only 6 more months after that (so, about a year from now roughly) my hubby will very likely be sitting in Iraq and I won't have him around to support me, nevermind providing help for our 2 children.All I know for sure is things remain painful and limit me, and I need to be independent...period. That's been the goal of the last 5 surgeries!I've been resting the hips as much as possible, yet, even at rest things are throbbing and even radiating at times...still nothing compared to trying to put body weight though. I cringe at the thought of even having to get up to walk to the restroom, but then I know I need to get up and move because otherwise I could get secondary problems like clots or something. Frustrating!I guess when I posted I should have gone through a little more of my history, so I will add some of that below. I'm trying to figure it all out, and I know my hubby says he'll support whatever I decide and that he wants me to be able to be active and pain free again too.  But I really need all the support I can get at this point...and I really, truly, sincerely appreciate all the support that you have given thus far!Rt Hip Arthro 2004Rt Hip Peri-acetabular Osteotomy 2006DVT, IVC Filter Placement and Subsequent Removal and 6 Months Anti-Coagulant Therapy 20006Rt Shoulder A/C Decompression 2006Rt Hip Arthro 2007Rt Hip Psoas Tenotomy & Hardware Removal 2007Lumbar Fusion 2007Rt Hip Arthro, Open, and Iliac Osteotomy 2007>> I was hoping to avoid this group...no offense though!> > I've been a member of the labralicious, hipwomen, and FAI groups for > the last couple years...as I've undergone 5 hip surgeries and > recovery from them.> > However, my hip now has arthritic changes and grade 4 cartliage > deterioration despite the goal of the other surgeries to fix issues > and prolong the "life" of my hip...and I am wondering how to really > know when it is time for a hip replacement?> > My latest surgery a month ago worked great initially, but then > something tore inside my hip and things have been going downhill > since...it began popping multiple times again, and everytime I am > putting weight on it, it absolutely kills.> > I'm directed back to crutches from my PT, as I! was using them and on > bedrest this weekend, and he talked a long time today about the > possibility of a THR sometime (whenever it may be) in my future...as > I know the DRs had also eluded to before.> > But I am confused. I've heard things both ways about waiting vs. > doing it at a young age (I will be 36 soon), and I just want to hear > from those of you who have had it done...when did you know it was > time? Was it the bone deterioration, cartilage deterioration, or pain > that played the biggest role in the decision?> > Also, I'm having issues with my other hip now too. Did your bad hip > make your good one bad also (due to extra weight bearing, etc.)?> > I just want to get back to being active and pain free.> > Thanks for the help in advance.> > ~Hipsrus>

Juju (and all)~

Yes, I was referring to less invasive due to lack of muscle being cut

and less trauma, but not due to the smaller incision...but the mini

approach is alot smaller (from what I've read and seen pics of) than

the traditional hip replacement, which is what I was drawing

comparision to.

From what I've read, there seems to be 3 minimally invasive

approaches, all of which seem to be in the range from a 1 1/2 inch

incision to 3 1/2 inch incisions, and with a anterolateral or

posterior approach. Does that sound right to you?

> > >

> > > I was hoping to avoid this group...no offense though!

> > >

> > > I've been a member of the labralicious, hipwomen, and FAI

groups for

> > > the last couple years...as I've undergone 5 hip surgeries and

> > > recovery from them.

> > >

> > > However, my hip now has arthritic changes and grade 4 cartliage

> > > deterioration despite the goal of the other surgeries to fix

issues

> > > and prolong the " life " of my hip...and I am wondering how to

really

> > > know when it is time for a hip replacement?

> > >

> > > My latest surgery a month ago worked great initially, but then

> > > something tore inside my hip and things have been going downhill

> > > since...it began popping multiple times again, and everytime I

am

> > > putting weight on it, it absolutely kills.

> > >

> > > I'm directed back to crutches from my PT, as I! was using them

> > and on

> > > bedrest this weekend, and he talked a long time today about the

> > > possibility of a THR sometime (whenever it may be) in my

future...as

> > > I know the DRs had also eluded to before.

> > >

> > > But I am confused. I've heard things both ways about waiting vs.

> > > doing it at a young age (I will be 36 soon), and I just want to

hear

> > > from those of you who have had it done...when did you know it

was

> > > time? Was it the bone deterioration, cartilage deterioration,

or

> > pain

> > > that played the biggest role in the decision?

> > >

> > > Also, I'm having issues with my other hip now too. Did your bad

hip

> > > make your good one bad also (due to extra weight bearing, etc.)?

> > >

> > > I just want to get back to being active and pain free.

> > >

> > > Thanks for the help in advance.

> > >

> > > ~Hipsrus

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>