RemedySpot.com

Re: titanium prosthesis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

No,at least,not yet. I had one implanted in December and so far things are

great! I still have some odd noises now and then and my hearing isn't

perfect (moderate loss in low tones, mild loss in mid tones and severe loss

is high tones), but it is so much better than it was.

le

----------

>From: catweaken <catweaken@...>

>cholesteatoma

>Subject: Titanium Prosthesis

>Date: Fri, May 6, 2005, 1:03 PM

>

> Has anyone had problems with a titanium prosthesis?

>

> Missy

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Missy,

I have had a titanium prothesis for about a year and a half. It worked reasonably well, but eventually the vaccuum in my ear caused my re-built ear drum to collapse again and it broke through the the drum. I should mention the collapse and "break through" occured with CWU surguries. I am at home recovering from a CWD surgury now and am hope that I'm finally done with C-toma's. I believe the prosthesis is still intact but will get back to you after talking with my surgeon.

Rich

From: cholesteatoma [mailto:cholesteatoma ] On Behalf Of catweakenSent: Friday, May 06, 2005 1:04 PMcholesteatoma Subject: Titanium Prosthesis

Has anyone had problems with a titanium prosthesis?Missy

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

It is used to reconstruct the broken conductive mechanism of middle ear.

As it does not need any blood supply so no chances of getting it recrossed, as can happen with cartilage or bony reconstruction

Arun

On 4/8/08, cazlaser <rusty@...> wrote:

Has anyone heard of an ent or neurotologist putting in a titanium prosthesis? What is it supposed to do? Is it effective? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Guest guest

My son (7 years old) had one added last Summer because the C-Toma had destroyed 2 of the 3 bones in the middle ear. Unfortunately, he was one of the small percentage of people where it didn't "set" correctly/his eardrum didn't close during healing. They will be adjusting it when he goes in for his follow-up surgery to check for regrowth in 2 weeks.sa Re:

titanium prosthesis

It is used to reconstruct the broken conductive mechanism of middle ear.

As it does not need any blood supply so no chances of getting it recrossed, as can happen with cartilage or bony reconstruction

Arun

On 4/8/08, cazlaser <rustylaven (DOT) net> wrote:

Has anyone heard of an ent or neurotologist putting in a titanium prosthesis? What is it supposed to do? Is it effective? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Guest guest

Yes, mine has been in for at least 7 years now (right ear). It's been

working fine ... even after one recurrence. The cholesteatoma will

often dissolve the delicate bones of hearing (the ear ossicles - the

incus ( anvil ), malleus ( hammer ), and stapes ( stirrup ) ). Many

people's bodies can accept an artificial hearing bone in their place.

Some folks are allergic to the foreign metal, but luckily it worked for

me. They caught my left ear a little earlier in the disease stage and

the doctor just reshaped my original hearing bones - they don't work so

hot though. Some folks can be given bones from a cadaver as an alternative.

Matt

cazlaser wrote:

>

> Has anyone heard of an ent or neurotologist putting in a titanium

> prosthesis? What is it supposed to do? Is it effective? Does anyone

> have experience with this? Thanks.

>

>

--

Guest guest

I had a cadaver bone implant at the time of my surgery (radical modified mastoidectomy, tympanoplasty and ossiculoplasty) back in the November of 1999. Sadly, the goal of a dry healthy ear was never achieved, and in the March of 2003, I had a massive infection which caused the loss of that implant. I've got a BAHA now.

Kazzy

----- Original Message -----

Guest guest

My daughter has a titanium prosthesis.  Her first one slipped and never did work, but she had another one put in later and her hearing is much improved. On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:18:43 +0530, " Arun Gupta " <drarunjind@...> said:

It is used to reconstruct the broken conductive mechanism of middle ear.As it does not need any blood supply so no chances of getting it recrossed, as can happen with cartilage or bony reconstructionArun On 4/8/08, cazlaser <rustylaven (DOT) net> wrote:Has anyone heard of an ent or neurotologist putting in a titanium prosthesis? What is it supposed to do? Is it effective? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Guest guest

I have one - a titanium replacement for two of the three middle ear bones. It's been in for about 2 1/2 years and I haven't had any problems with it. My hearing is not perfect. I still miss some high and low frequencies, but I'm fine in most situations.  I am thrilled to have it. leOn Apr 7, 2008, at 9:31 PM, cazlaser wrote:Has anyone heard of an ent or neurotologist putting in a titanium prosthesis? What is it supposed to do? Is it effective? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Guest guest

Thanks for the feedback. I had one put in during Nov 07 and found out

a week ago that my ent will have to go back in and reset it. Right now

I have considerable hearing loss in my ear, but my doctor is quite

confident that this next procedure will restore most of it if the c-

toma has not returned.

Guest guest

Matt, I thought the use of cadaver bones was not used anymore because of the chance of diseases,etc... My doctor said that in the U.S. they are not allowed to use cadaver anymore yet I keep seeing people mention this. Do you have any information on that? Amber "

Guest guest

Yes, my son has one. After 4 c'tomas and 6 surgeries, Dr. of the Otology Group at Vanderbilt removed two of my son's ossicles and replaced them with the titanium prosthesis. We're approaching the two year post-op mark in June, and so far, NO recurrance. Once the c'toma invades the ossicles, it is much more likely to recur. My son's hearing is restored to 100% (just had a recheck 2 weeks ago) and he's had NO problems so far. He is 12 years old now (had 1st surgery at age 6) and very active in sports, but no tackle football. Best of luck to you and I'd certainly use a neurotologist for this type of surgery. They are much more experienced, and ask how many they've done. Experience is key in treating this condition.

Sheri>> Has anyone heard of an ent or neurotologist putting in a titanium > prosthesis? What is it supposed to do? Is it effective? Does anyone > have experience with this? Thanks.>

Guest guest

Amber,

I suppose that could very well be. Either my doctor or the literature I

read at the time stated that it was a possibility as late as my first

surgery (2001). I'll certainly ask at the next visit. Ear ossicles

are, I believe, a little different than other bones ... I suspect that

the success with the titanium bones is simply an easier alternative. We

shall see.

Matt

amber krasny wrote:

> Matt,

>