RemedySpot.com

RE: 2 days post op

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi ,

Congratulations on a successful surgery!

My daughter's ear stuck out too and I remember writing to the group

asking the same exact thing! Yes, it will go back down and you will

never even know he had the surgery before long! Once he is activated,

you will be amazed at the progress he makes and the things he hears. It

truly is an amazing invention!!

Best wishes!

A.Weinzapfel

PURCHASING DEPARTMENT

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN INDIANA

JWEINZAP@...

Of

Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:12 PM

Subject: 2 days post op

Hi,

had his implant surgery day before yesterday @ s Hopkins.

Today we took the dressing off and all looks very good. The incision

follows the crease of the ear so I am very happy with that. I did

notice, however, that his ear sticks out a lot more and is somewhat

lower than the other one. Will this correct itself over time? It is not

a big deal, seems a small price to pay for the gift of hearing, I was

just curious. The surgeon did say that he had to place the implant

vertically instead of horizontally because 's head was small,

could this have an impact on the aesthetics?

Thanks for any info...

- mother of age 12mos. AB 90K Hi Res 7/10/06

Guest guest

Hi

Sometimes there is swelling that causes this to occur. I think you

will find that over time it will get batter. You are in great hands

at Hopkins; I have heard it is one of the best centers in the

country.

Welcome to the group

Kim B

Advanced Bionics CI

>

> Hi,

> had his implant surgery day before yesterday @ s Hopkins.

> Today we took the dressing off and all looks very good. The incision

> follows the crease of the ear so I am very happy with that. I did

> notice, however, that his ear sticks out a lot more and is somewhat

> lower than the other one. Will this correct itself over time? It is

not

> a big deal, seems a small price to pay for the gift of hearing, I

was

> just curious. The surgeon did say that he had to place the implant

> vertically instead of horizontally because 's head was small,

> could this have an impact on the aesthetics?

> Thanks for any info...

>

> - mother of age 12mos. AB 90K Hi Res 7/10/06

>

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Thanks Dan, I wish I'd have seen your email before I posted my negative remarks....I'm trying to feel positive. Looks like your surgery was probably the same as mine. Thanks again.Steve

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Hills <dhillz81@...> wrote:

Aloha all,I am 2 days post op after a tympano mastoidectomy on my left ear for an acquired cholesteatoma. I am feeling better but I have a lot of pain in my ear. I am on some heavy pain meds. I have a few things to say about this group. #1, this board has been good for information and advice at times. However, some of your comments, posts, and info is very negative. Everyone's ear, and case are different. I have learned that no matter how much you read and prepare yourself the best is to have positive vibes and positive expectations. Reading some of your posts really scared me, and disillusioned me about the possible outcomes of this operation. Now after coming out of it and handling this new aspect of my life, I have come to believe that yes, this will be a lifelong challenge, and some people have it harder than others. Just please, for the sake of this board and yourselves, please try and stay positive. That is the best way to tackle these challenges. The secret of life is the law of attraction and if you manifest negativity then your perspective, and recovery will be negative. Stay positive, stay hopeful for the best and you will achieve your goals. Thank you for your support and hope, I know that they got all of the disease and I am a candidate for a reconstruction 6 to 8 months from now. I will probably have more questions down the road but for now, thank you and stay up. Aloha.

Dancholesteatoma From: drarunjind@...

Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 21:29:10 +0530Subject: Re: Re: dropping in with a quick question

It is a kind of neuralgia.

Try Carbemazepinie (Tegretol)

Arun

On 5/24/08, fiddlepaintingca <fiddlepaintingca@...> wrote:

Hey Cheryl,Thanks for the reply, no mine are not like that. They feel like a knife stabbing me above my right eye and at the temple of my right eye. Once this knife goes in, it's like it's slowly turning then it

pulls out. It stops me dead in my tracks I grab my face in that area close my eyes tight and wait it out. Once it's out the pain is vanished, it only last for about maybe 10-20 seconds at a time.

>

> I had the first one a couple months after surgery while grocery > shopping with my 2 yr old. I had to leave him at the store( till a > family member took him) as I went to the hosp by ambulance... It

> began as I looked up at the ceiling lights cuz there was a bird in > the store. They would last about 30 min. not so much a headache but > peripheral vision, like looking through a tunnel. Oh, I dont miss

> those!!!

E-mail for the greater good. Join the i'm Initiative from Microsoft.

Guest guest

Dan,

I agree. Unfortunately, the negative stories are often those shared. Probably

because it helps us get through tough times. On a positive note, I & #39;m a month

past my surgery and feel pretty much back to normal. My hearing is gradually

improving, and I just completed a half marathon. Stay positive,

Hills wrote:

> Aloha all, I am 2 days post op after a tympano mastoidectomy on my left ear

for an acquired cholesteatoma. I am feeling better but I have a lot of pain in

my ear. I am on some heavy pain meds. I have a few things to say about this

group. #1, this board has been good for information and advice at times.

However, some of your comments, posts, and info is very negative. Everyone's

ear, and case are different. I have learned that no matter how much you read and

prepare yourself the best is to have positive vibes and positive expectations.

Reading some of your posts really scared me, and disillusioned me about the

possible outcomes of this operation. Now after coming out of it and handling

this new aspect of my life, I have come to believe that yes, this will be a

lifelong challenge, and some people have it harder than others. Just please, for

the sake of this board and yourselves, please try and stay positive. That is the

best way to tackle these

challenges. The secret of life is the law of attraction and if you manifest

negativity then your perspective, and recovery will be negative. Stay positive,

stay hopeful for the best and you will achieve your goals. Thank you for your

support and hope, I know that they got all of the disease and I am a candidate

for a reconstruction 6 to 8 months from now. I will probably have more questions

down the road but for now, thank you and stay up. Aloha. Dan cholesteatoma@

groups. com From: drarunjindgmail (DOT) com Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 21:29:10

+0530 Subject: Re: Re: dropping in with a quick question

> It is a kind of neuralgia.

> Try Carbemazepinie (Tegretol)

> Arun  

> On 5/24/08, fiddlepaintingca < fiddlepaintingca > wrote:

> Hey Cheryl, Thanks for the reply, no mine are not like that. They feel like a

knife stabbing me above my right eye and at the temple of my right eye. Once

this knife goes in, it's like it's slowly turning then it

> pulls out. It stops me dead in my tracks I grab my face in that area close my

eyes tight and wait it out. Once it's out the pain is vanished, it only last for

about maybe 10-20 seconds at a time.

> >

>> I had the first one a couple months after surgery while grocery > shopping

with my 2 yr old. I had to leave him at the store( till a > family member took

him) as I went to the hosp by ambulance... It

>> began as I looked up at the ceiling lights cuz there was a bird in > the

store. They would last about 30 min. not so much a headache but > peripheral

vision, like looking through a tunnel. Oh, I dont miss

>> those!!!

> E-mail for the greater good. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft.

>

Guest guest

We al have the choice to read or not to read. I wish I would have known all of this information, good and bad, before my surgery. I had never even heard of a cholesteotoma when I was going through my surgery. I am by no means trying to sound negative...it is what it is. Informed consent was something that I did not have, and this site gives all kinds of information...I think its great. I also wish you the best in your recovery. Hills <dhillz81@...> wrote: Aloha

all,I am 2 days post op after a tympano mastoidectomy on my left ear for an acquired cholesteatoma. I am feeling better but I have a lot of pain in my ear. I am on some heavy pain meds. I have a few things to say about this group. #1, this board has been good for information and advice at times. However, some of your comments, posts, and info is very negative. Everyone's ear, and case are different. I have learned that no matter how much you read and prepare yourself the best is to have positive vibes and positive expectations. Reading some of your posts really scared me, and disillusioned me about the possible outcomes of this operation. Now after coming out of it and handling this new aspect of my life, I have come to believe that yes, this will be a lifelong challenge, and some people have it harder than others. Just please, for the sake of this board and yourselves, please try and stay positive. That is the best way to tackle these challenges. The secret of

life is the law of attraction and if you manifest negativity then your perspective, and recovery will be negative. Stay positive, stay hopeful for the best and you will achieve your goals. Thank you for your support and hope, I know that they got all of the disease and I am a candidate for a reconstruction 6 to 8 months from now. I will probably have more questions down the road but for now, thank you and stay up. Aloha.Dan cholesteatoma From: drarunjindgmailDate: Sat, 24 May 2008 21:29:10 +0530Subject: Re: Re: dropping in with a quick question It is a kind of neuralgia. Try Carbemazepinie (Tegretol) Arun On 5/24/08, fiddlepaintingca <fiddlepaintingca > wrote: Hey Cheryl,Thanks for the reply, no mine are not like that. They feel like a knife stabbing me above my right eye and at the temple of my right eye. Once this knife goes in, it's like it's slowly turning then it pulls out. It stops me dead in my tracks I grab my face in that area close my eyes tight and wait it out. Once it's out the pain is vanished, it only last for about maybe 10-20 seconds at a time.>> I had the first one a couple months after surgery while grocery > shopping with my 2 yr old. I had to leave him at

the store( till a > family member took him) as I went to the hosp by ambulance... It > began as I looked up at the ceiling lights cuz there was a bird in > the store. They would last about 30 min. not so much a headache but > peripheral vision, like looking through a tunnel. Oh, I dont miss > those!!! E-mail for the greater good. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft.