I was just wondering if any other members have ever

experienced facial paralysis or other paralysis due to

c-toma.

I had facial paralysis for quite a long time and now

it might happen again. I just wondered if this was a

rare thing to happen?

* Cronin

Hello

It's always listed as a possible symptom but full-blown facial paralysis is probably rare with c-toma. It's pretty disfiguring and means you have no feeling or movement in forehead, eyebrow or mouth - a staring unshuttable eye and a drooping mouth that has trouble eating and drinking. What occurs mostly is something the medics prefer to call "facial paresis" - loss of some mobility but the sensation remains. My own experience was one where I did lose control of one side of my mouth but rest of the face had more of a tingling or smarting sensation - the eye would flicker and the mouth go into involuntary spasm. Socially embarrassing this - you feel like the Elephant Man; I even took to wrapping a scarf round the lower part of my face. The worst part of this disappeared with the surgery (last October) and it has ebbed and flowed to milder extent ever since: in my case it seems to be caused by debris collecting occasionally on the facial nerve.

It may not all be due to c-toma; an ENT surgeon recently pointed out that I had an uneven mouth which he said would have been caused by facial weakness due to long term (childhood) ear disease. It's true! I've always had that mouth and only ever notice it in photographs, I just never made the connection with ears before.

If anyone is curious to know what a c-toma inspired facial paralysis looks like. Take a look at the man half way down this page - happily he seems to have been sorted out.

http://www.bhj.org/journal/oct97/case_06.htm

Phil

ps I see from your survey that you live in Kent. Where you treated locally or in London?

I was just wondering if any other members have ever experienced facial paralysis or other paralysis due toc-toma.I had facial paralysis for quite a long time and nowit might happen again. I just wondered if this was arare thing to happen?* Cronin

• 6 years later...