Okay, It may be just my imagination, but it seems that my Left ear

used to have a lot of wax. (orangey stuff) My left ear doesn't seem

to have any wax, as oppose to my right ear They are both itchy at

times as usually. My left ear is the ear that i'm having surgery

on. A md friend of mine said that is because it's blocked and noth

ing is coming out.????

Lulu

Hi LuLu

I read simewhere that ear canal's self cleaning mechanism (the wax) is not amazingly efficient.Some of the wax gets impacted and the rest just stays down there which is why vast numbers of people routinely get their ears syringed. If your'e about to have Canal Wall Down Surgery, syringing is not something you can ever have done. There is also a condition, related to eczema called Keratosis Obturans in which the wax producing glands become plugged up with dead skin - some ENTs think that this condition may underlie the formation of Canal Cholesteatoma.

Phil

but it seems that my Left ear used to have a lot of wax. (orangey stuff) My left ear doesn't seem to have any wax, as oppose to my right ear They are both itchy at times as usually. My left ear is the ear that i'm having surgery on. A md friend of mine said that is because it's blocked and nothing is coming out.????..

Hi Phil,

----- Original Message -----

done. There is also a condition, related to eczema called Keratosis Obturans in which the wax producing glands become plugged up with dead skin - some ENTs think that this condition may underlie the formation of Canal Cholesteatoma.

Phil

Hi Phil

Sorry I accidently sent the message before writing what I want.

Phil, I was very interested when I read what you wrote about eczema and keratosis obturans and Canal Cholesteatoma... Is this what you have?

Lynn

Re: Ear wax..

Hi LuLu

I read simewhere that ear canal's self cleaning mechanism (the wax) is not amazingly efficient.Some of the wax gets impacted and the rest just stays down there which is why vast numbers of people routinely get their ears syringed. If your'e about to have Canal Wall Down Surgery, syringing is not something you can ever have done. There is also a condition, related to eczema called Keratosis Obturans in which the wax producing glands become plugged up with dead skin - some ENTs think that this condition may underlie the formation of Canal Cholesteatoma.

Phil

but it seems that my Left ear used to have a lot of wax. (orangey stuff) My left ear doesn't seem to have any wax, as oppose to my right ear They are both itchy at times as usually. My left ear is the ear that i'm having surgery on. A md friend of mine said that is because it's blocked and nothing is coming out.????..

Hi Lynn

I believe I had both kinds of c-toma happening at the same time but the Canal version was the worst part and it seems to have returned in some odd fashion. The part about keratosis obturans is just something I picked up in my researches into this particular form of the disease - I don't know if it applies to me. Canal C-toma is said to be quite destructive despite having it's origin outside of the middle ear, it's always produces foul discharge and many of the other symptoms of c-toma. It isn't common and there isn't a lot of information about it out there. If you come across anything, please let me know.

Phil

Phil, I was very interested when I read what you wrote about eczema and keratosis obturans and Canal Cholesteatoma... Is this what you have?

Lynn

Hi Phil,

If I do see anything about canal c-toma, I will certainly direct it your way. I was really interested, because I had posted a question a few weeks ago, wondering if there was any relationship between c-toma and eczema. It could be just a coincidence, but a lot of the people here seem to have either eczema or psoriasis...

Lynn

Re: Ear wax..

Hi Lynn

I believe I had both kinds of c-toma happening at the same time but the Canal version was the worst part and it seems to have returned in some odd fashion. The part about keratosis obturans is just something I picked up in my researches into this particular form of the disease - I don't know if it applies to me. Canal C-toma is said to be quite destructive despite having it's origin outside of the middle ear, it's always produces foul discharge and many of the other symptoms of c-toma. It isn't common and there isn't a lot of information about it out there. If you come across anything, please let me know.

Phil

Lynn

Hi Lynn

I remember that particular discussion and was surprised by the number of people who did report a coincidence of eczema and c-toma - but I haven't ever had any kind of external skin condition.

Regarding Keratosis Obturans and ear canals: my GP showed once showed me a hospital report written when I was 5 years old. One of the conditions it described was 'thickening of the ear wall'. Do you have any idea what that might be?

Phil

Hi Phil,

If I do see anything about canal c-toma, I will certainly direct it your way. I was really interested, because I had posted a question a few weeks ago, wondering if there was any relationship between c-toma and eczema. It could be just a coincidence, but a lot of the people here seem to have either eczema or psoriasis...

Lynn

Hi Dianne

I have a vague idea that it may be the result of repeated ear infections - I presumed that the 'ear wall' meant 'ear canal wall'. Did they diagnose with this by looking into her ear canal and before she had a CT scan?

Phil

One of the conditions it described was 'thickening of the ear wall'. Do you have any idea what that might be?

This is strange ... that is exactly the way the original ENT described 's "condition" before we were locked in to a c-toma diagnosis. I just presumed it described a c-toma ...

Dianne

Hi Phil,

Philip wrote:

Did they diagnose with this by looking into her ear canal and before she had a CT scan?

They suspected c-toma after doing a "visual" exam and prior to the CT scan ... we really didn't lock into the cholesteatoma diagnosis until we sat down with the surgeon. After we got the CT scan the ENT pointed out an area that she referred to as a "thickening" of the wall. I did not really see what she was referring to, but I can't read CT scans. I presumed at the time that the thickening of the wall WAS the c-toma. When we sat with the surgeon he pointed out small marks on the CT scan that he said were bits of debris in the ear, those I could see, he told us that these were the definitive indicators of c-toma.

???

Dianne