RemedySpot.com

RE: Inpatient vs Outpatient

Rate this topic

Guest guest

:

I had a radical mastoidectomy back in 1977 and stayed there for at least three days. I can't imagine they would do this as an outpatient, it is very involved -- hence the word RADICAL. I'm sure he'll have to stay there for at least a day or two. Good luck (I also have an 18-month old and couldn't imagine what you're going through).

Take care, Isley, WA

When my husband had his first surgery for ctoma, two years ago almost exactly, we didn't know much about it and weren't really warned of the severity by the surgeon. He had outpatient surgery, and the actual procedure lasted 6 hours. As I sat there waiting for him, watching other people go in and out while I waited for some news, I realized that there must be more going on than I was aware of, as I had anticipated about an hour or two of surgery. When I saw him, I was completely astounded that the surgery seemed so severe. I mean, outpatient is nothing, right? Anyway, when we left the clinic, they said "Bring him back if you're concerned" and I said "I'm concerned right now!"

They just laughed and said, "If there's too much blood, bring him back" to which I of course replied "How am I to know how much is too much?" No questions were ever satisfactorily answered, and I was just a nervous wreck for a few days as he got his strength and balance back.

My issue is now, will they do this next surgery, which is going to be a radical mastoidectomy, as inpatient? We now have an 18 month old (I was only barely pregnant the first time) and I don't think I can handle both of them that first night. Do they normally do this as inpatient or out patient?

Thanks for your input.

> :

>

> I had a radical mastoidectomy back in 1977 and stayed there for at

least

> three days.

I just had my first radical mastiodectomy. I was in surgery for

almost four hours. I woke up with minimal amount of pain but some

vomiting. I kept dozing on and off for about 3 hours. The last time

I woke up from one of my naps I actually felt a little better. They

kept me overnight which was nice. I went to the BR once (walking)

and then went back to bed. I woke up around 7ish the next morning

and felt pretty good considering what I went through (vomiting) I

walked out of the hospital around noontime. I was a little surprised

that they had me walk out!! I was pretty slow but didn't have any

problems. Within the last couple of years the local hospital has what

they call overnight " observation " they keep you overnight just

for " observation I think the isurance companies dont consider this a

real stay just a place to sleep off anethesia! I was surprise that I

did feel pretty good. In response to surgery in 1977, remember also

things have changed. Back then you would have a baby and be in the

hospital 5 days, and look now the have they revolving door and your

out sooner!! But wait a minute is that a good thing?? :(

LuLU

Hi all,

Lulu's description was graphic and very helpful for me as I am getting ideas on what to expect on the 19th when I go for my first siurgery which will be radical as my c-toma is extensive....

Take care and love to all.

Piyali.

gamesaddict1 <tab01886@...> wrote:

> :> > I had a radical mastoidectomy back in 1977 and stayed there for at least > three days.I just had my first radical mastiodectomy. I was in surgery for almost four hours. I woke up with minimal amount of pain but some vomiting. I kept dozing on and off for about 3 hours. The last time I woke up from one of my naps I actually felt a little better. They kept me overnight which was nice. I went to the BR once (walking) and then went back to bed. I woke up around 7ish the next morning and felt pretty good considering what I went through (vomiting) I walked out of the hospital around noontime. I was a little surprised that they had me walk out!! I was pretty slow but didn't have any problems. Within the last couple of years the local hospital has what they call overnight "observation" they keep you overnight just for"observation I think the isurance companies dont consider this a real stay just a place to sleep off anethesia! I was surprise that I did feel pretty good. In response to surgery in 1977, remember also things have changed. Back then you would have a baby and be in the hospital 5 days, and look now the have they revolving door and your out sooner!! But wait a minute is that a good thing?? :(LuLU

Hi ,

My husbands first surgery was a radical mastoidectomy in Dec. 1999 lasting 5.5 hours. He spent the night in the hospital but only because his oxygen saturation levels were low. He had his second surgery in July 2000, which was a canal wall down radical mastoidectomy lasting about 5 hours. They sent him home with me the same day. My son was just over 2 years old. It was difficult, but I was able to manage. I think the kids just know they need to be careful. I think they just sense it.

Hope this helps.

Michele

Tim and <ajjudge@...> wrote:

My issue is now, will they do this next surgery, which is going to be a radical mastoidectomy, as inpatient? We now have an 18 month old (I was only barely pregnant the first time) and I don't think I can handle both of them that first night. Do they normally do this as inpatient or out patient?

Thanks for your input.

-

When I had my radical mastoidectomy, they did it on an outpatient

basis. However, with my insurance, for outpatient, you can stay up to

23 hours (essentially overnight). It was done in a major hospital. I

can tell you that I was in no condition to come home right after the

surgery. I went home the next morning.

We had two kids at the time an almost two year old and a four month

old. My in-laws came and stayed with us to help take care of the kids

and me after my husband returned to work. I would suggest getting

some help.

Hope that helps. You might check with your doctor to see exactly what

outpatient means.

-

> When my husband had his first surgery for ctoma, two years ago almost

> exactly, we didn't know much about it and weren't really warned of the

> severity by the surgeon. He had outpatient surgery, and the actual

> procedure lasted 6 hours. As I sat there waiting for him, watching other

> people go in and out while I waited for some news, I realized that there

> must be more going on than I was aware of, as I had anticipated about an

> hour or two of surgery. When I saw him, I was completely astounded

that the

> surgery seemed so severe. I mean, outpatient is nothing, right?

Anyway,

> when we left the clinic, they said " Bring him back if you're

concerned " and

> I said " I'm concerned right now! "

>

> They just laughed and said, " If there's too much blood, bring him

back " to

> which I of course replied " How am I to know how much is too much? " No

> questions were ever satisfactorily answered, and I was just a

nervous wreck

> for a few days as he got his strength and balance back.

>

> My issue is now, will they do this next surgery, which is going to be a

> radical mastoidectomy, as inpatient? We now have an 18 month old (I was

> only barely pregnant the first time) and I don't think I can handle

both of

> them that first night. Do they normally do this as inpatient or out

patient?

>

> Thanks for your input.

>

>

, Lulu, Michele and ,

thanks for all the experiences. It sounds like it varies so much, whether it's inpatient or outpatient. I guess it's an insurance thing? We are lucky in that my parents live nearby (practically around the corner) and I've asked my mother in law to come and stay when Tim has his surgery. She'll come and stay as long as we need her to, so that will be a help. And she gets to baby her baby boy, and play with the grandson, so she'll have no complaints, I'm sure.

We are flying out to Arizona tomorrow; I'm nervous Tim is going to have problems on the flight, but it's his brother's wedding, so we take the risk.

Thanks again - hearing how everybody else has handled this is more helpful than I had ever imagined. I had no idea this was such a widespread thing.

-----Original Message-----From: LIsley2@... [mailto:LIsley2@...]Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 11:19 PMcholesteatoma Subject: Re: Inpatient vs Outpatient: I had a radical mastoidectomy back in 1977 and stayed there for at least three days. I can't imagine they would do this as an outpatient, it is very involved -- hence the word RADICAL. I'm sure he'll have to stay there for at least a day or two. Good luck (I also have an 18-month old and couldn't imagine what you're going through). Take care, Isley, WA