RemedySpot.com

Re: 15 year-old daughter withrecurring ear issues

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ur daughter is lucky to be under care of such a good institute.

Good luck for her

Dr. Arun Gupta, ENT Surgeon India

On 12/18/08, wysockikelly <wysockikelly@...> wrote:

My daughter is headed to the Michigan Ear Institute today for an exam following the rejection of an ossicular-chain prosthesis. She lost the incus and stapes due to cholesteatoma a couple years ago, and just this

past summer was complaining of total deafness in that ear. After drops to soften some earwax, the Dr. removed a good amount of debris and found that the prosthesis had been expelled at an earlier date, and that the eardrum was healed. She has been through 8 surgeries so far,

two for removal of cholesteatoma, the rest for tympanoplasty and mastoidectomy, and the last was the prosthesis to replace the eroded incus and stapes. Has anyone gone through a second ossicular chain reconstruction? I'm really frightened that at this point, nothing more

can be done to help her.

Hello,

I am going to share a story with you that has really shocked me. I have years and years of problems dealing with c-toma. I finally decide to just see a regular doctor locally and stop driving all over for surgeries to try and fix my hearing.

I see this doctor and she looks in my ears. Tells me how c-toma is usually more commonly caused by repeated ear infections from eustachian tube dysfunction. Yes I know .. nothing I did not know there. Then she looks in my throat and tells me I have acid reflux. I look at her like she is crazy I have never had hearburn, never had upset stomach or any of that. Sure enough I come home and look on the computer and it is called "silent reflux" and I have a large number of the symptoms especially with my ears. It appears the acid actually comes back up and can affect your eustachian tubes.

So needless to say I am on Priolsec once a day and I have not had the constant feeling of pressure or decreased hearing feeling I was getting these past few years. Here I am getting surgery after surgery and it very well seems there might of still been a underlying issues.. all these docs all these years and nobody has ever told me I have silent gerd.

Just goes to show! Good luck to everyone out there battleing this and Happy Holidays!

My daughter is headed to the Michigan Ear Institute today for an exam following the rejection of an ossicular-chain prosthesis. She lost the incus and stapes due to cholesteatoma a couple years ago, and just this past summer was complaining of total deafness in that ear. After drops to soften some earwax, the Dr. removed a good amount of debris and found that the prosthesis had been expelled at an earlier date, and that the eardrum was healed. She has been through 8 surgeries so far, two for removal of cholesteatoma, the rest for tympanoplasty and mastoidectomy, and the last was the prosthesis to replace the eroded incus and stapes. Has anyone gone through a second ossicular chain reconstruction? I'm really frightened that at this point, nothing more can be done to help her.