RemedySpot.com

Re: Masie's update and next surgery

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It is great Masie is doing well. I agree, any improvement in hearing is wonderful.

I would recommend the next surgery over spring break so you do not have the pressure of make up work. I always tries for summer or spring break. I don't know the ages of your other kids, but just set up a bed on the couch and make it clear Masie needs to rest and rent lots of movies. Maybe set up playdates at other children's homes for the first few days to help her rest. After that she may need the company of her siblings.

Masie's update and next surgery

Well Masie had her 2nd doctor visit and all went well. She had a hearing test and her hearing actually improved from prior to her surgery, which Dr. Chang was happy with and thought was interesting none the less. I told him it was the power of LOTS of prayer. So what she has now is just moderate conductive hearing loss instead of major. Oh well, we'll take any improvement! He said her eardrum and graft looked really good. So he wants to set her next surgery for the titanium prosthetics up for between February and April- my pick- as he told me. So here is my dilemma. I was thinking Spring Break, but I have 5 children total, and the others would all be at home during Spring Break also, which would be her recovery time, but I really don't want her to have to miss anymore school than necessary. Does anyone have any input on this? I could use some insight from those of you parents who have been through this multiple times.Thanks,Pam

Pam-

Hailey (our 5 yr old) had her prosthetic put in on Nov 24th. The Monday before Thanksgiving. It was nice that she didn't have to miss much school, just 2 days....she's still only in pre-school - 4 days a week.

We only have 2 kids, but those last few days with my oldest home and all the family around was a bit harder. We just had to continue to remind to stay calm and no running around. The nice thing is both girls understand what is going on with Hailey. Also their cousins were good about just sitting there doing crafts.

I'd just make sure if you do the surgery during spring break that you have plenty of low impact activities for the kids. Maybe make some play dates during the week for the other kids so that they get their time to get out and run around.

Good luck and glad the hearing was better.

Thoughts and prayers are with you

From: pamcrt2002 <pamcrt2002@...>Subject: Masie's update and next surgerycholesteatoma Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 8:40 AM

Well Masie had her 2nd doctor visit and all went well. She had a hearing test and her hearing actually improved from prior to her surgery, which Dr. Chang was happy with and thought was interesting none the less. I told him it was the power of LOTS of prayer. So what she has now is just moderate conductive hearing loss instead of major. Oh well, we'll take any improvement! He said her eardrum and graft looked really good. So he wants to set her next surgery for the titanium prosthetics up for between February and April- my pick- as he told me. So here is my dilemma. I was thinking Spring Break, but I have 5 children total, and the others would all be at home during Spring Break also, which would be her recovery time, but I really don't want her to have to miss anymore school than necessary. Does anyone have any input on this? I could use some insight from those of you parents who have been through this

multiple times.Thanks,Pam