tympanoplasty

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey Everyone,

I met my surgeon today. His name is Dr. Chester Strunk. He

seems like a very good doctor. He was very very thorough and didnt

rush my parents and me. He said I am going to need a tympanoplasty

and possible mastoidectomy. Has anyone here had this? My

cholesteatoma from what he can see on the catscans is really little.

Although he said its hard to tell how big it is until he does the

surgery. I wont be able to have surgery until January 6 because he

is booked up. Thanks for any info.

Hi and Nonny,

A tympanoplasty would be a relatively simple procedure which is surgical repair of the eardrum. A mastoidectomy is removal of part of the mastoid. Here are some definitions:

Surgical proceduresSimple mastoidectomy - limited removal of mastoid air cellsModified mastoidectomy - removal of external auditory canal wall along with mastoid air cells, but preserving the ossiclesRadical mastoidectomy - removal of EAC wall, mastoid air cells and the ossicles, but attempted preservation of the stapes superstructureProsthetic stapedectomy - Prosthetic materials include stainless steel wire, metallic piston, Teflon, Silastic or plasticTympanoplasty - Plastic procedures to cover perforations in tympanic membrane

Hope this helps.

Michele

nonnykay1@... wrote:

Hi ,I too, am looking for info on tympanoplasty. My son is most likely facing this, although our surgeon doesnt think that he has c-toma at this point. We just had our consult today and for the last month, he's had my son plugging his nose and blowing, to pop his ear. Apparently this helps in trying to pull the ear drum up off the ear bones. He says that it has basically "shrink-wrapped itself around all the bones. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has had any luck doing this, we have to do this for one more month and see if it helps at all. He will still have the surgery, but maybe less extensive...? Any info on this surgery would be helpful. Thanks everyone......~*~Renonda~*~

Hi Michele,

Thanks for the reply. Another question here. Is it still called a tympanoplasty if there is no perforation? His ear drum is totally collapsed and has wrapped itself around the hearing bones. Our surgeon told us that the surgery normally takes 3-4 hrs. Im just trying to get my terms straight...lol...He doesnt think there is any c-toma present, and Im hoping he is right. I tried to ask all the right questions yesterday, after reading all the posts here, but, of course, Ive thought of more..Yep, Im still a newbie, so any help from anyone is a plus..!! Thanks again...

~*~Renonda~*~

Hi Phil,

Well, Im not sure that our ENT is convinced that it will un-do itself either, but he says that he has seen this help on other occasions. He is giving us 1 month to continue with this exercise before deciding on a date for surgery. He told us that if he can lift the ear drum even a bit, by doing the blowing, that the surgery might not have to be quite so extensive. So, well try it and see what happens. Thanks for your in-put.

~*~Renonda~*~

I'm not sure of the terminology but my daughter (8 years old) had a

tympanoplasty in May to repair a perforation. We were told the

surgery would take 1-2 hours. Once they started, they found a

cholesteatoma, removed it, and repaired the eardrum but the surgery

took about 4 hours. She was up and moving around the next day with

minimal complaints. She is now going in on Jan. 2 to have a " second

look " surgery to make sure that the cholesteatoma has not returned.

Until I found this group, I really didn't understand the full extent

of this disorder and I have learned so much over the past few

weeks. Good luck to your son on his surgery.

> Hi Michele,

> Thanks for the reply. Another question here. Is it still called a

> tympanoplasty if there is no perforation? His ear drum is totally

collapsed

> and has wrapped itself around the hearing bones. Our surgeon told

us that the

> surgery normally takes 3-4 hrs. Im just trying to get my terms

> straight...lol...He doesnt think there is any c-toma present, and

Im hoping

> he is right. I tried to ask all the right questions yesterday,

after reading

> all the posts here, but, of course, Ive thought of more..Yep, Im

still a

> newbie, so any help from anyone is a plus..!! Thanks again...

>

> ~*~Renonda~*~

Hi ,

I had both done almost 3 years ago. Tympanoplasty is peeling back your

eardrum so they can work in your middle ear - they put it back. And a

Mastoidectomy is usually done by going in behind the ear and removing scar

tissue to re-created the air space that is supposed to be there. I was out

of work for 1 week - I'm a secretary. And I've been C-toma free for 3 years.

Jane

Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

Hi Lynn,

Well, maybe doing the "blowing" exercise did what it was sapposed to do? Our ENT said that my sons ear drum has "shrink-wrapped" itself around the hearing bones, and is at, or over the "round window" . Because Im still learning all the parts of the ear, Im still not exactly sure where this is.... lol....Anyways, Im glad that you will be able to have your surgery in the spring. Thanks for the in-put. Every little bit helps....:)

~*~Renonda~*~

Thanks Phil....Yep, now I can see where the round window is..I was reading what the ENT wrote down on my copy yesterday.".Adhesion TM to Incus, Stapes, and promontory. " Thanks again for the pic....Im learning so much on here...:)

~*~Renonda~*~

he's had my son plugging his nose and blowing, to pop his ear. Apparently this helps in trying to pull the ear drum up off the ear bones. He says that it has basically "shrink-wrapped itself around all the bones.

Hi Renonda

A long time ago I was actually given a diagnosis of having the eardrum wrapped around the hearing bones and was also given exercises and surgery to try to open the eustachian tubes (ear popping). At that time the rest of the eardrum wasn't intact but rather stuck to the roof of the ear and the bones themselves had fused together and already begun to rot away. Essentially though I think the important thing here is that your son is actually able to open his eustachian tube - without that there'd be no point in trying to reconstruct his eardrum - it's the negative middle ear pressure caused by the poor functioning of this tube that led to the eardrum being sucked inwards in the first place. I'm not entirely convinced that the blowing exercise would cause the eardrum skin to unravel itself from the hearing bones (depends how wrapped up they are I guess) - you'd expect it to be a more delicate task that needed to be done at the time of surgery.

Phil

....or over the "round window" . Because Im still learning all the parts of the ear, Im still not exactly sure where this is....

Hi Renonda

Does this give any idea? Tiny vibrations pass along the hearing bones to the stapes which sits on the 'oval window'. The vibrations then travel through liquid all around the cochlea and are detected as sound frequencies by lots of little hairs. The 'round window' is at the far end of the spiral cochlea and is where the used up vibrations are eventually dispelled.

Phil

sorry Phil, I should have said "oval window"

Lynn

Re: tympanoplasty

....or over the "round window" . Because Im still learning all the parts of the ear, Im still not exactly sure where this is....

Hi Renonda

Does this give any idea? Tiny vibrations pass along the hearing bones to the stapes which sits on the 'oval window'. The vibrations then travel through liquid all around the cochlea and are detected as sound frequencies by lots of little hairs. The 'round window' is at the far end of the spiral cochlea and is where the used up vibrations are eventually dispelled.

Phil