RemedySpot.com

flu season

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Dr R

With Flu season here, could you post some things we should have on hand

should flu strike and a sort of list of do's and don'ts should we get

the flu? Anyone else who would like to answer this, please do so.

Blessings Conrad MGB 03/12/01 DR R

FYI I also use Zicam and it does work. However, I'm one of thousands of

people who have lost their sense of smell from using Zicam. The loss is

permanent, so better think twice.

Sharon

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Parke Family <ParkeFamily@...>wrote:

> I use Zicam. It works well. I use the nasal spray at the first suspicion

> of

> a cold. I have used Sudafed in the past, but it really dehydrates me

> quickly, so now I stick to the Zicam, which works better, anyway, since it

> doesn't have to travel through your entire system before it goes to work.

>

> Meg

>

>

>

• 8 months later...

Absolutely -- why would you want to risk death in a skinny body ;)

I got mine last year during my treatment round. No problems.

Judith

From: livinglaughing1 <livinglyfe@...> Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:06:57 PMSubject: Flu Season

Can someone tell me if it's okay to get a flu shot while on the protocol?

Wow that is so scary that poor child along with the others. Thank you for all the great information hope you dont mind but I passed it along to a friend of mine in California.

Thank you,

Rose

From: ohneclue <ohneclue (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Flu SeasonDate: Tuesday, September 15, 2009, 11:51 AM

Judith

From: livinglaughing1 <livinglyfe (DOT) com>Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:06:57 PMSubject: Flu Season

You can pass this on to anyone you wish to.

And the death toll climbed by 1 more child here in the Dallas area from Swine Flu -- she had underlying health problems, neuromuscular deterioration and something else I can't remember.

I can understand people's thinking that flu is not that big a deal because the last one, the Avian, was a deep lung type flu. That means you had to be working with birds on a daily basis in order to be exposed to it and develop it. Then, it was very difficult for other members of the family to get it from you since we don't use the lowest part of our lungs for breathing and therefore expelling the virus to others through that normal activity. So while there were pockets of people that did get it, it was not easily spread from person to person.

But Swine Flu, the H1N1 Influenza, is very different. It is extremely easy to be spread throughout a population just by being very close to a person that has it. So more casual activities can successfully expose one to the virus.

The 11 year old was in school, the other one that died this week-end was not.

This one is also not so seasonally active as past outbreaks. It has been early and did not die down during the summer as most influenzas do. It has been a slow constant.

We must remember that our hands are our worst enemy in spreading a lot of infections. We have been taught to sneeze into our hands and that is simply WRONG as we now know.

The germs get on our hand, the very next things we touch are NOW covered with these germs just primed to be passed onto the next person that touches that same surface. And, now that there are billions and billions more of us, this one little habit becomes more critical.

We should sneeze or cough into our elbows or if you can't make it there, at least on the upper arm or forearm because, when was the last time you used the inside crook of your arm or forearm to touch anything? That's right, NEVER!!!

Another thing that can help to break the cycle is, as soon as you get home from shopping, immediately wash your hands.

If you can develop the habit of carrying hand sanitizer in your car, purse, pants pocket, etc., when you are ready to leave work or the mall or the grocery store, clean your hands so you don't take those germs with you into your car and home.

I don't know if a lot of you have noticed that lots of grocery stores now have hand sanitizer wipe dispensers near the food cart corral so you can sanitize the hand rail on the grocery cart before you touch it.

I used to work at a women's clinic doing sonograms on preggers people. It was an all volunteer clinic and each winter, we would have people be out sick which is totally understandable.

What I started doing was to mix my 1:20 bleach solution and every night, before I left, I went through the entire clinic area and spritzed ALL of the surfaces people touch -- telephone keypads, telephone receivers, the talk area on each telephone receiver, computer keyboards, door handles, desk edges and other touched surface like the hand rails on the stairs, the door knobs on all the rooms, the door plates on the restroom doors, the stall doors on the inside of the restroom, the door frames, where people put their hands as they lean into your little office or room, etc., etc., etc.

I washed down the book covers that the kids touched, the toys they played with, the crayons they colord with, all the arm rests on the chairs in the waiting room, etc. I did NOT dry these surfaces, just a light sprintz that stayed on and dried naturally or a pass with the hand sanitizer wipes.

And I was very successful in breaking the cycles -- after I started doing this, our sick rate almost disappeared.

A long time ago, I taught 3rd grade and the secretary at the school where I worked, would sanitize the office phone after each person used it. I used to think she was a little much with doing this but a couple of years later, as I grew more knowledgeable about how casually germs are passed along, I had a new respect for what she did.

Guess what the sick kids used to call Mom and tell them they were sick and needed to come home? That office phone. She was never sick and not at work and I developed a new respect for her and what she did to keep us all healthier.

I even stop people I see in stores if they sneeze or cough into their hands to help spread the word that the recommended procedure has changed. Now you know why Howie Mandel, the "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" host does the knuckle knock hand touch -- to not get other people's germs.

And what do we teach our kids to do when they go visit sick grandma -- "Give Grandma a kiss good-bye". At least we are smarter with our new babies whose immune systems haven't really kicked in just yet. We keep them home to reduce their exposure to lots of germs. Or maybe we don't so much any more but we certainly should.

That's enough for today before people think I'm nuts about germs.

Judith

From: Livinglyfe <livinglyfe@...> Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:10:40 PMSubject: Re: Flu Season

Wow that is so scary that poor child along with the others. Thank you for all the great information hope you dont mind but I passed it along to a friend of mine in California.

Thank you,

Rose

From: ohneclue <ohneclue (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Flu SeasonDate: Tuesday, September 15, 2009, 11:51 AM

Judith

From: livinglaughing1 <livinglyfe (DOT) com>Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:06:57 PMSubject: Flu Season