RemedySpot.com

Re: Veggie Gumbo (vegan)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This sounds really good, but what can I substitute for white wine? Seeing as I don't drink I do not even buy wine for cooking (it's the idea of having wine in the house!).

Thanks, Shari

depending on the recipe.. some use 1/2 and 1/2 water and acv.... another is white grape juice with some lemon juice, another is soda water... these are a few I've heard... You could sub a veggie juice also.SV <shavig@...> wrote: This sounds really good, but what can I substitute for white wine? Seeing as I don't drink I do not even buy wine for cooking (it's the idea of having wine in the house!).

Check out the all-new beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

I was thinking just a little lemon juice.

>

> This sounds really good, but what can I substitute for white wine?

Seeing as I don't drink I do not even buy wine for cooking (it's the

idea of having wine in the house!).

>

> Thanks, Shari

>

I made an interesting warm, round, soft soup last night. Must have wanted comfort food! It can be changed, of course to suit your mood. I made it with a big parsnip, but I am giving the recipe with a small one. The big one was too much and the sides of my tongue tingled for hours. As I sais, this soup is very soft (mood), if you want to sharpen it up, I would crush garlic and hot peppers and add finely chopped cilantro. Use that as a topper when served.

Veggie broth or water, as needed

1 cup barley

1/4 cabbage, chopped

1/2 onion, chopped

1 large leek, sliced lenghtwise, washed and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (green and white parts)

1 small parsnip, scrubbed and chopped

1 medium yam, scrubbed and chopped

1 big handful parsley, chopped, stems too

1 large handful dried tomatoes

salt, if desired

1 teaspoon black peppercorns or ground black pepper

Simmer barley for about 20 minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until done.

Enjoy!

Gayla