RemedySpot.com

Brittle Bone Syndrome

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My 26yo son’s 21yo girlfriend has brittle bone

syndrome. She’s broken countless bones over the years, and that doesn’t

include stress fractures. They were just here for a week and she broke bones

in both her feet, just from walking and everyday life.

The doctors tell her there is nothing to be done. Are there

any supplements she can take to help with this? We gave her celery seed and a

combination of cherry/celery seed/bromelain/turmeric for the inflammation of

the bones she broke while here, but I’d like to recommend something she

can take daily to prevent or diminish the frequency of future breaks.

She eats a pretty good diet, but smokes and drinks alcohol.

(I know, I know…)

Sharyn

Sharyn, osteogenesis imperfecta is caused

by a faulty gene. In some people the gene responsible for producing a

collagen for bones and connective tissue simply does not produce enough, in

others it produces a poor quality collagen. She will always be very

fragile. Some patients improve fracture rates sometime after puberty

until their late 30’s when normal bone loss occurs and causes things to

go downhill again. I think the best thing you can encourage her to do is

quit the bad habits and eat a healthy diet.

Janet

From: health [mailto:health ] On Behalf Of Sharyn E. Cerniglia

Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007

12:39 PM

health

Subject:

Brittle Bone Syndrome

My 26yo

son’s 21yo girlfriend has brittle bone syndrome. She’s broken

countless bones over the years, and that doesn’t include stress

fractures. They were just here for a week and she broke bones in both her

feet, just from walking and everyday life.

The doctors

tell her there is nothing to be done. Are there any supplements she can

take to help with this? We gave her celery seed and a combination of

cherry/celery seed/bromelain/turmeric for the inflammation of the bones

she broke while here, but I’d like to recommend something she can take

daily to prevent or diminish the frequency of future breaks.

She eats a

pretty good diet, but smokes and drinks alcohol. (I know, I know…)

Sharyn

Cut out both as smoking causes brittleness to a degree but slows down the healing - I was reading where in neck fusions that smokers have to use their own bones so that the graft takes but it will take a long time healing.. they don't get a choice of plates or bone banks.. How about lemon egg (calcium)? Alcohol is another that depletes the body of vitamins and things it needs. Alcohol interferes with the body's ability to absorb calcium resulting in bones being weak, soft, brittle and thinner (Osteoporosis) - .. More greens also. BUT definitely calcium... even cal mag. and also Vit D.... here is a partial article I had in my files. Vitamin D can also be very helpful to seniors by helping in improving balance and agility. Seniors who fall and fracture bones are at a significantly higher risk of mortality

than their younger counterparts. Avoiding falls and fractures becomes increasingly important as we age. Falls are often a result of poor balance and agility and fractures are often a result of weak or brittle bones (osteoporosis). Vitamin D can help with both. A recent study cited in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that older people with higher blood levels of vitamin D are able to walk and rise from a chair faster than those who have lower vitamin D levels. This is important because there is a direct correlation to being able to walk, being able to rise from a chair quickly and balance, agility and muscle strength. These are important components to health to prevent falls and fractures. A study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society showed that

elderly women who took Vitamin D and calcium supplements reduced their risk of falling by 49%. Another study cited in the January 2005 issues of Neurology showed that women who took a multi-vitamin with Vitamin D in it (400 IUs) were 40% less likely to develop multiple sclerosis. A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that middle-aged men who consumed 640 IUs of Vitamin D daily along with 4 grams of cereal fiber reduced their risk of pre-cancerous colon polyps by 40%. Another study showed that adequate levels of Vitamin D helped stabilize blood sugar and reduced the risk of developing adult-onset diabetes. Finally, a study at Boston University measured adults with high blood pressure. They were treated with UVA and UVB rays (similar to getting natural sunlight) for three months. The adults’ Vitamin D levels increased by 100% and their blood pressure normalized. Clearly, there are many (and varied) benefits to having adequate Vitamin D in your system. There is a balance you’ll have to strike between getting enough sunlight and keeping your skin safe from sun damage. In the summer, you will get enough Vitamin D through 5 minutes of exposure, so make sure you lather up with sunscreen after 5 minutes in the sun. In the winter, it will vary, so use caution and common sense. Supplementing your skin’s ability to manufacture Vitamin D with a good multi-vitamin may

make sense. In some cases, you may want to add a Vitamin D supplement, though you should check with your health care professional to make sure this is right for you. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin meaning that it is stored in your body’s fat cells. This leads to a risk of toxicity. Keep this in mind when taking any fat-soluble supplements (A and E are two others), but remember that the Vitamin D your body manufactures is safe at any level."Sharyn E. Cerniglia" <sharyn.cerniglia@...> wrote: My 26yo son’s 21yo girlfriend has brittle bone syndrome. She’s broken countless bones over the years, and that doesn’t include stress fractures. They were just here for a week and she broke bones in both her feet, just from walking and everyday life. The doctors tell her there is nothing to be done. Are there any supplements she can take to help with this? We gave her celery seed and a combination of cherry/celery seed/bromelain/turmeric for the inflammation of the bones she broke while here, but I’d like to recommend something she can take daily to prevent or diminish the frequency of future breaks. She eats a pretty good diet, but smokes and drinks alcohol. (I know, I know…) Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats __________________________________________________

D alone or should we think Cal/Mag. and then also D? Thanks for clearing up my thinking. hugs, carolgSuzanne <suziesgoats@...> wrote: Cut out both as smoking causes brittleness to a degree but slows down the healing - I was reading where in neck fusions that smokers have to use their own bones so that the graft takes but it will take a long time healing.. they don't get a choice of plates or bone banks.. How about lemon egg (calcium)? Alcohol is another that depletes the body of vitamins and things it needs. Alcohol interferes with the body's ability to absorb calcium resulting in bones being weak, soft, brittle and thinner (Osteoporosis) - .. More greens also. BUT definitely calcium... even cal mag. and also Vit D.... here is a

partial article I had in my files. Vitamin D can also be very helpful to seniors by helping in improving balance and agility. Seniors who fall and fracture bones are at a significantly higher risk of mortality than their younger counterparts. Avoiding falls and fractures becomes increasingly important as we age. Falls are often a result of poor balance and agility and fractures are often a result of weak or brittle bones (osteoporosis). Vitamin D can help with both. A recent study cited in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that older people with higher blood levels of vitamin D are able to walk and rise from a chair faster than those who have lower vitamin D levels. This is important because there is a direct correlation to being able to walk, being able to

rise from a chair quickly and balance, agility and muscle strength. These are important components to health to prevent falls and fractures. A study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society showed that elderly women who took Vitamin D and calcium supplements reduced their risk of falling by 49%. Another study cited in the January 2005 issues of Neurology showed that women who took a multi-vitamin with Vitamin D in it (400 IUs) were 40% less likely to develop multiple sclerosis. A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that middle-aged men who consumed 640 IUs of Vitamin D daily along with 4 grams of cereal fiber reduced their risk of

pre-cancerous colon polyps by 40%. Another study showed that adequate levels of Vitamin D helped stabilize blood sugar and reduced the risk of developing adult-onset diabetes. Finally, a study at Boston University measured adults with high blood pressure. They were treated with UVA and UVB rays (similar to getting natural sunlight) for three months. The adults’ Vitamin D levels increased by 100% and their blood pressure normalized. Clearly, there are many (and varied) benefits to having adequate Vitamin D in your system. There is a balance you’ll have to strike between getting enough sunlight and keeping your skin safe

from sun damage. In the summer, you will get enough Vitamin D through 5 minutes of exposure, so make sure you lather up with sunscreen after 5 minutes in the sun. In the winter, it will vary, so use caution and common sense. Supplementing your skin’s ability to manufacture Vitamin D with a good multi-vitamin may make sense. In some cases, you may want to add a Vitamin D supplement, though you should check with your health care professional to make sure this is right for you. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin meaning that it is stored in your body’s fat cells. This leads to a risk of toxicity. Keep this in mind when taking any fat-soluble supplements (A and E are two others), but remember that the Vitamin D your body manufactures is safe at any level."Sharyn E. Cerniglia" <sharyn.cerniglia@...> wrote: My 26yo son’s 21yo girlfriend has brittle bone syndrome. She’s broken countless bones over the years, and that doesn’t include stress fractures. They were just here for a week and she broke bones in both her feet, just from walking and

everyday life. The doctors tell her there is nothing to be done. Are there any supplements she can take to help with this? We gave her celery seed and a combination of cherry/celery seed/bromelain/turmeric for the inflammation of the bones she broke while here, but I’d like to recommend something she can take daily to prevent or diminish the frequency of future breaks. She

eats a pretty good diet, but smokes and drinks alcohol. (I know, I know…) Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats __________________________________________________

She eats a pretty good diet, but smokes and drinks alcohol. (I know, I know…)

Even if she smokes and drinks, that seems like such a young age to have such a devastating disease. Is she open to seeing an alternative doctor who might be able to help her? I think she might need a real professional in this case. I have heard of people who have this and it only gets worse and worse.

Gloria

If it were me...BOTH oh yes and exercise...mild exercise for now.carolG <cgiambri@...> wrote: D alone or should we think Cal/Mag. and then also D? Thanks for clearing up my thinking. hugs, carolgSuzanne <suziesgoats@...> wrote: Cut out both as smoking causes brittleness to a degree but slows down the healing - I was reading where in neck fusions that smokers have to use their own bones so that the graft takes but it will take a long time healing.. they don't get a choice of plates or bone banks.. How about lemon egg (calcium)? Alcohol is another that depletes the body of vitamins and things it needs. Alcohol

interferes with the body's ability to absorb calcium resulting in bones being weak, soft, brittle and thinner (Osteoporosis) - .. More greens also. BUT definitely calcium... even cal mag. and also Vit D.... here is a partial article I had in my files. Vitamin D can also be very helpful to seniors by helping in improving balance and agility. Seniors who fall and fracture bones are at a significantly higher risk of mortality than their younger counterparts. Avoiding falls and fractures becomes increasingly important as we age. Falls are often a result of poor balance and agility and fractures are often a result of weak or brittle bones (osteoporosis). Vitamin D can help with both. A recent study cited in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

found that older people with higher blood levels of vitamin D are able to walk and rise from a chair faster than those who have lower vitamin D levels. This is important because there is a direct correlation to being able to walk, being able to rise from a chair quickly and balance, agility and muscle strength. These are important components to health to prevent falls and fractures. A study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society showed that elderly women who took Vitamin D and calcium supplements reduced their risk of falling by 49%. Another study cited in the January 2005 issues of Neurology showed that women who took a multi-vitamin with Vitamin D in it (400 IUs) were 40% less likely to develop multiple sclerosis. A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that middle-aged men who consumed 640 IUs of Vitamin D daily along with 4 grams of cereal fiber reduced their risk of pre-cancerous colon polyps by 40%. Another study showed that adequate levels of Vitamin D helped stabilize blood sugar and reduced the risk of developing adult-onset diabetes. Finally, a study at Boston University measured adults with high blood pressure. They were treated with UVA and UVB rays (similar to getting natural sunlight) for three months. The adults’ Vitamin D levels increased by 100% and their blood pressure normalized. Clearly, there

are many (and varied) benefits to having adequate Vitamin D in your system. There is a balance you’ll have to strike between getting enough sunlight and keeping your skin safe from sun damage. In the summer, you will get enough Vitamin D through 5 minutes of exposure, so make sure you lather up with sunscreen after 5 minutes in the sun. In the winter, it will vary, so use caution and common sense. Supplementing your skin’s ability to manufacture Vitamin D with a good multi-vitamin may make sense. In some cases, you may want to add a Vitamin D supplement, though you should check with your health care professional to make sure this is right for you. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin meaning that it is stored in your body’s fat cells. This leads to a risk of toxicity. Keep this in mind when taking any fat-soluble supplements (A and E are two others), but remember that the Vitamin D your

body manufactures is safe at any level."Sharyn E. Cerniglia" <sharyn.cerniglia@...> wrote: My 26yo son’s 21yo girlfriend has brittle bone syndrome. She’s broken countless bones over the years, and that doesn’t include stress fractures. They were just here for a week and she broke bones in both her feet, just from walking and everyday life. The doctors tell her there is nothing to be done. Are there any supplements she can take to help with this? We gave her celery seed and a combination of cherry/celery seed/bromelain/turmeric for the inflammation of the bones she broke while here, but I’d like to recommend something she can take daily to prevent or diminish the frequency of future

breaks. She eats a pretty good diet, but smokes and drinks alcohol. (I know, I know…) Suzi What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet

been discovered. health/ http://suziesgoats.wholefoodfarmacy.com/ http://360./suziesgoats __________________________________________________

Another possibility would be the red yeast rice supplement –

get the strain that has been proven to lay down new bone. I guess there’s

a few different strains of red yeast rice, most are for lowering cholesterol,

so make sure you get the bone one. It

will say on the label “certified bone active by the International Bone

Lab”, or something like that.

Carol

Sorry, this is probably a " duh " question, but would an increase in

calcium and Vit C be of benefit? I realize it is likely one of

those " stoopid " questions, but it is the first thing that popped into

my way too sleepy mind.

Excellent response, BYT, Janet

>

> Sharyn, osteogenesis imperfecta is caused by a faulty gene. In

some people

> the gene responsible for producing a collagen for bones and

connective

> tissue simply does not produce enough, in others it produces a poor

quality

> collagen. She will always be very fragile. Some patients improve

fracture

> rates sometime after puberty until their late 30's when normal bone

loss

> occurs and causes things to go downhill again. I think the best

thing you

> can encourage her to do is quit the bad habits and eat a healthy

diet.

>

>

>

> Janet

It’s genetic. She was born with it. And

they’re not big into alternative care, unfortunately. All I can do is

recommend…

Sharyn

[mailto:health ] On Behalf Of MorningGlory113@...

Even if she smokes and drinks, that seems like such a young

age to have such a devastating disease. Is she open to seeing an alternative

doctor who might be able to help her? I think she might need a real

professional in this case. I have heard of people who have this and it only

gets worse and worse.

_,___

I would

think that antioxidants help with collagen Sharyn. CoQ10 as a supplement,

and some whole food supplements that have naturally occurring antioxidants, like

concentrated wheat sprouts, red algae, or blue green algae. Beta carotene from carrots, apricots, dark green leafy

vegetables, red peppers, sweet potatoes. Vitamin E from nuts, whole grains,

vegetable oils.

Carol

Posted by:

" Sharyn E. Cerniglia " sharyn.cerniglia@...

sharyncern

It's not a calcium deficiency problem,

. It's a lack of collagen or

breakdown of collagen that causes it. What builds

collagen?

I'm not Suzi (you can tell by the cut of my jib), but I dehydrate

them and capsule them. Any way to get it into your body is better

than not getting it in. Whatever your stomach or system can handle.

Just my two shillings

>

> Hi Suzanne,

>

> Just curious about the lemon and grapefruit peel. I juice them all

the time and wondered how to make more use of the dry pulp from the

peelings. Currently I just use it for a face mask. Can you recommend

something besides capsules? Do you think throwing a handful in a

smoothie or even a glass of water is as effective? Thanks for your

thoughts.

>

> Peace on earth.