RemedySpot.com

Re: An interesting thing...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

that is interesting. sounds like a good idea to me and while you are at it hubby should spent time massaging and hugging! eeliegirl <eelie@...> wrote: And I'd love to hear from some of you. I'm wondering if this is common since I've never heard anyone mention it.My brother and his wife were here just after the holidays and we were chatting about my upcoming surgery. My SIL asked if I'd had any counseling and I kinda laughed and said no. I mean, really, I'm going to Mexico...how does she think I'd get

that. (But, I think that gives me a clue as to what she thinks of this. But I digress.) I asked her why, other than the obvious "doing it for the wrong reasons" reasons, would counseling be necessary.Now this is the odd part. Bro and SIL went on a diet a few years ago and SIL lost a ton of weight. She's gained it all back plus some but that's another story. Anyway, she said that she'd lost about 110 on that diet.She said that her body didn't even feel like her own. What she explained reminded me of phantom pain, where someone has a limb amputated but still feels the sensations of it being there. She said that when she'd shower, even thought she intellectually knew she was smaller than she'd been, when she'd wash herself, the sensations weren't right---like she was touching another body. She said when my brother would hug her, rather than him just being able to touch his hands together behind her, he could

wrap his arms and nearly touch his elbows. She said that was another strange sensation.I mentioned this to a friend and she said she'd seen something where the WLS people were advised to do "lotion therapy." Once a day they were to get lotion and spread it on every part of their body. That way, as their body changed, their preception and sense of sensation changed with it. Which, personally, I think sounds like a really good idea.So is this something that's rather common? in ARTwo weeks, three days left to go!

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I think counseling is always a great idea, the good thing about the

band is that you will lose slower than other WLS so your mind has a

chance to catch up with your body. I never experienced what you

describe personally, but I am still a little surprised when I catch a

glimpse in the mirror or in a storefront window. Mentally, I do think

of myself as bigger than I am.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

Hi ,I love the count down you have going, surgery day will be here in no time :) :)I have never heard of this phenomenon or the lotion therapy, interesting to say the least. There are still time when I would lay my clothes out on the bed and think "Ha, that can't possibly be the size I am". Or I would walk past a mirror and have to take a double take and be like "oh, yea, that is my body" :) I have ALWAYS loved having my husband wrap is arm around me, like when we are singing in church, I do this little nudge thing to him and he knows I want him to wrap that arm around. :) Maybe some people, don't "embrace" the weight loss like others do. I love to be hugged and held and such by my husband, even my kids hang on me, we are that type of family, maybe if you don't

embrace the changing body, along the way, you get funky feeling like your SIL experienced. I don't know. My husband and I have an excellent counselor that has saved our marriage so I NEVER dismiss the power of counseling but I think this wonderful world of weight loss is so different for each person. I will say that the longer my weight has been off, the less of those experiences I have, like now I look in the mirror and think "I did it, I did it" I don't have to take a double take. And when I look at my clothes, same thing, I think "success" not, "this can't be mine".Thanks for giving me a reason to ramble this morning, hope you have a great weekend. Cyrena An interesting thing...

And I'd love to hear from some of you. I'm wondering if this is

common since I've never heard anyone mention it.

My brother and his wife were here just after the holidays and we were

chatting about my upcoming surgery. My SIL asked if I'd had any

counseling and I kinda laughed and said no. I mean, really, I'm

going to Mexico...how does she think I'd get that. (But, I think

that gives me a clue as to what she thinks of this. But I digress.)

I asked her why, other than the obvious "doing it for the wrong

reasons" reasons, would counseling be necessary.

Now this is the odd part. Bro and SIL went on a diet a few years ago

and SIL lost a ton of weight. She's gained it all back plus some but

that's another story. Anyway, she said that she'd lost about 110 on

that diet.

She said that her body didn't even feel like her own. What she

explained reminded me of phantom pain, where someone has a limb

amputated but still feels the sensations of it being there. She said

that when she'd shower, even thought she intellectually knew she was

smaller than she'd been, when she'd wash herself, the sensations

weren't right---like she was touching another body. She said when my

brother would hug her, rather than him just being able to touch his

hands together behind her, he could wrap his arms and nearly touch

his elbows. She said that was another strange sensation.

I mentioned this to a friend and she said she'd seen something where

the WLS people were advised to do "lotion therapy." Once a day they

were to get lotion and spread it on every part of their body. That

way, as their body changed, their preception and sense of sensation

changed with it. Which, personally, I think sounds like a really

good idea.

So is this something that's rather common?

in AR

Two weeks, three days left to go!

interesting concept .. very interestingeeliegirl <eelie@...> wrote: And I'd love to hear from some of you. I'm wondering if this is common since I've never heard anyone mention it.My brother and his wife were here just after the holidays and we were chatting about my upcoming surgery. My SIL asked if I'd had any counseling and I kinda laughed and said no. I mean, really, I'm going to Mexico...how does she think I'd get that. (But, I think that gives me a clue as to what she thinks of this. But I digress.) I

asked her why, other than the obvious "doing it for the wrong reasons" reasons, would counseling be necessary.Now this is the odd part. Bro and SIL went on a diet a few years ago and SIL lost a ton of weight. She's gained it all back plus some but that's another story. Anyway, she said that she'd lost about 110 on that diet.She said that her body didn't even feel like her own. What she explained reminded me of phantom pain, where someone has a limb amputated but still feels the sensations of it being there. She said that when she'd shower, even thought she intellectually knew she was smaller than she'd been, when she'd wash herself, the sensations weren't right---like she was touching another body. She said when my brother would hug her, rather than him just being able to touch his hands together behind her, he could wrap his arms and nearly touch his elbows. She said that was another strange

sensation.I mentioned this to a friend and she said she'd seen something where the WLS people were advised to do "lotion therapy." Once a day they were to get lotion and spread it on every part of their body. That way, as their body changed, their preception and sense of sensation changed with it. Which, personally, I think sounds like a really good idea.So is this something that's rather common? in ARTwo weeks, three days left to go!

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Hi What is your date for you surgery? My lucky day is the 30th.:) Im so excited.LaDonnaCyrena Weeks <cyrenaweeks@...> wrote: Hi ,I love the count down you have going, surgery day will be here in no time :) :)I have never heard of this phenomenon or the lotion therapy, interesting to say the least. There are still time when I would lay my clothes out on the bed and think "Ha, that can't possibly be the size I am". Or I would walk past a

mirror and have to take a double take and be like "oh, yea, that is my body" :) I have ALWAYS loved having my husband wrap is arm around me, like when we are singing in church, I do this little nudge thing to him and he knows I want him to wrap that arm around. :) Maybe some people, don't "embrace" the weight loss like others do. I love to be hugged and held and such by my husband, even my kids hang on me, we are that type of family, maybe if you don't embrace the changing body, along the way, you get funky feeling like your SIL experienced. I don't know. My husband and I have an excellent counselor that has saved our marriage so I NEVER dismiss the power of counseling but I think this wonderful world of weight loss is so different for each person. I will say that the longer my weight has been off, the less of those experiences I have, like now I look in the mirror and think "I did it, I did it" I don't have to take a double take.

And when I look at my clothes, same thing, I think "success" not, "this can't be mine".Thanks for giving me a reason to ramble this morning, hope you have a great weekend. Cyrena An interesting thing... And I'd love to hear from some of you. I'm wondering if this is common since I've never heard anyone mention it. My brother and his wife were here just after the holidays and we were chatting about my upcoming surgery. My SIL asked if I'd had any

counseling and I kinda laughed and said no. I mean, really, I'm going to Mexico...how does she think I'd get that. (But, I think that gives me a clue as to what she thinks of this. But I digress.) I asked her why, other than the obvious "doing it for the wrong reasons" reasons, would counseling be necessary. Now this is the odd part. Bro and SIL went on a diet a few years ago and SIL lost a ton of weight. She's gained it all back plus some but that's another story. Anyway, she said that she'd lost about 110 on that diet. She said that her body didn't even feel like her own. What she explained reminded me of phantom pain, where someone has a limb amputated but still feels the sensations of it being there. She said that when she'd shower, even thought she intellectually knew she was smaller than she'd been, when she'd wash herself, the sensations weren't right---like she was touching

another body. She said when my brother would hug her, rather than him just being able to touch his hands together behind her, he could wrap his arms and nearly touch his elbows. She said that was another strange sensation. I mentioned this to a friend and she said she'd seen something where the WLS people were advised to do "lotion therapy." Once a day they were to get lotion and spread it on every part of their body. That way, as their body changed, their preception and sense of sensation changed with it. Which, personally, I think sounds like a really good idea. So is this something that's rather common? in AR Two weeks, three days left to go!

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Hopefully we will be able to meet and be a support to each other. Good luck in all you do.LaDonnaeeliegirl <eelie@...> wrote: Hey LaDonna, :o) I'm scheduled for the 28th. Two weeks from today!!! :oD > > Hi > > What is your date for you surgery? My lucky day

is the 30th.:) Im so excited. > LaDonna

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.