RemedySpot.com

Re: Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am writing to ask some of you that have had the band longer. I have been having a hard time for about 2 weeks now..even drinking water sometimes very difficult..I have had to throw up almost everytime after eating. I have done well with the fill..got it october 16th. and this is the first time it has stayed with me this long..i keep thinking ok..it will be better. I can only eat about 3 bites of food and sometimes not even that.. i am thinking i need an unfill for a few weeks at least..any suggestions..i think it is better and again i take my bites and out i need it to come..thanks for any of you that have any suggestions..i was going to drive down monday and get an unfill ...i just cant take the feeling any

longer.. anyone had the same thing???

sandy

Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight

Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weighthttp://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/ 94001.phpReporting in the online journal BMC Genetics , researchers from the Monell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number of genes that contribute to obesity and body weight. The findings suggest that over 6,000 genes - about 25 percent of the genome - help determine an individual's body weight. "Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' have become common in the scientific literature and also the popular press," notes Monell behavioral geneticist G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on the study. "Our results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one of the many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to the obesity problem is unlikely." To obtain an

estimate of how many genes contribute to body weight, the Monell researchers surveyed the Laboratory Mouse Genome Database for information on body weights of knockout mouse strains. Knockout mice have had a specific gene inactivated, or "knocked out." By studying how the knockout mice differ from normal mice, researchers obtain information about that gene's function and how it might contribute to disease. Mice can provide valuable information on human disease because they share many genes with humans. The knockout approach is so useful that the inventors of the technology were awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Knockout mice are now standard tools in all mouse models of behavior and disease. In 60% of strains, knocking out a gene produces mice that are nonviable; that is, the mouse cannot survive without the knocked out gene. The Monell survey revealed that body weight was altered in over a third of the

viable knockout stains; 31 percent weighed less than controls (indicating that the missing genes contribute to heavier body weight), while another 3 percent weighed more (contributing to lighter weight). Extrapolating from the total number of genes in the mouse genome, this implies that over 6,000 genes could potentially contribute to the body weight of a mouse. Tordoff comments, "It is interesting that there are 10 times more genes that increase body weight than decrease it, which might help explain why it is easier to gain weight than lose it." Because body weight plays a role in many diseases, including hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease, the implications of the findings extend beyond studies of obesity and body weight. Gene knockouts reported to affect these diseases and others could potentially be due to a general effect to lower body weight. The findings also hold clinical relevance, according to lead author

le R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist. "Clinicians and other professionals concerned with the development of personalized medicine need to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genes act together to determine disease susceptibility." ------------ --------- -------Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.------------ --------- ------- Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study. The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic research institute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monell has been the nation's leading research center focused on understanding the senses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function and affect lives from before birth through old age. Using a multidisciplinary approach, scientists collaborate in the areas of: sensation and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology, environmental and occupational

health, nutrition and appetite, health and well being, and chemical ecology and communication. Monell: Making Sense of Taste and Smell for 40 Years. For more information, visit http://www.monell. org/. Source: Stein Monell Chemical Senses Center

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Sandy, yes.. it happened to me on my second fill. I just went Friday to get an unfill and had my first solid protein this weekend in nearly two weeks. Like you, when I started having trouble getting my water down I finally took it seriously. Before the unfill I had 2 cc in my 4cc band. The doctor took out .4cc leaving me 1.6 in the band. This morning I managed an egg and 1/2 piece pumpernickle toast. I was full, but no pb-ing .... Perfect! sandy doyle <doylesandy@...> wrote: I am writing to ask some of you that have had the band longer. I have been having a hard time for about 2 weeks now..even drinking water sometimes very difficult..I have had to throw up almost everytime after eating. I have done well with the fill..got it october 16th. and this is the first time it has stayed with me this long..i keep thinking ok..it will be better. I can only eat about 3 bites of food and sometimes not even that.. i am thinking i need an unfill for a few weeks at least..any suggestions..i think it is better and again i take my bites and out i need it to come..thanks for any of you that have any suggestions..i was going to drive down monday and get an unfill ...i just cant take the feeling any longer.. anyone had

the same thing??? sandy Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weighthttp://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/ 94001.phpReporting in the online journal BMC Genetics , researchers from the Monell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number of genes that contribute to obesity and body weight. The

findings suggest that over 6,000 genes - about 25 percent of the genome - help determine an individual's body weight. "Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' have become common in the scientific literature and also the popular press," notes Monell behavioral geneticist G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on the study. "Our results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one of the many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to the obesity problem is unlikely." To obtain an estimate of how many genes contribute to body weight, the Monell researchers surveyed the Laboratory Mouse Genome Database for information on body weights of knockout mouse strains. Knockout mice have had a specific gene inactivated, or "knocked out." By studying how the knockout mice differ from normal mice, researchers obtain information about that gene's function and how it might contribute to disease. Mice can provide

valuable information on human disease because they share many genes with humans. The knockout approach is so useful that the inventors of the technology were awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Knockout mice are now standard tools in all mouse models of behavior and disease. In 60% of strains, knocking out a gene produces mice that are nonviable; that is, the mouse cannot survive without the knocked out gene. The Monell survey revealed that body weight was altered in over a third of the viable knockout stains; 31 percent weighed less than controls (indicating that the missing genes contribute to heavier body weight), while another 3 percent weighed more (contributing to lighter weight). Extrapolating from the total number of genes in the mouse genome, this implies that over 6,000 genes could potentially contribute to the body weight of a mouse. Tordoff comments, "It is interesting that there are 10 times more genes that

increase body weight than decrease it, which might help explain why it is easier to gain weight than lose it." Because body weight plays a role in many diseases, including hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease, the implications of the findings extend beyond studies of obesity and body weight. Gene knockouts reported to affect these diseases and others could potentially be due to a general effect to lower body weight. The findings also hold clinical relevance, according to lead author le R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist. "Clinicians and other professionals concerned with the development of personalized medicine need to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genes act together to determine disease susceptibility." ------------ --------- -------Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.------------ --------- ------- Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study. The

Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic research institute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monell has been the nation's leading research center focused on understanding the senses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function and affect lives from before birth through old age. Using a multidisciplinary approach, scientists collaborate in the areas of: sensation and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology, environmental and occupational health, nutrition and appetite, health and well being, and chemical ecology and communication. Monell: Making Sense of Taste and Smell for 40 Years. For more information, visit http://www.monell. org/. Source: Stein Monell Chemical Senses Center Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I just had my fill this past Wed and it was a .5cc fill. My first

fillwas in September for a 1.6cc. I feel really tight. The first night I

could barely get broth down at dinner. However..the next day I was ok.

Last night was my first night having some solids and I got stuck. I was

miserable. In the night I tried to drink some water as I was so thirsty

and my stomach was waking me up grumbling. I could not even keep a few

sips of water down..kept burping it up. I am wondering if when you get a

fill, if you need to wait awhile to see if this improves. I mean, is the

reason why we need fills is because as we lose weight, our stomach

shrinks? I am so lite headed now...I need to get some nutrients in me.

Right now I dont think I could handle even a drop of water..feel like

there is something stuck in my throat but I know there is not. Any

suggestions ANYONE has for me I would really appreciate it.

DOB 7/12/2007

207/173/145

>

> I am writing to ask some of you that have had the band longer. I have

been having a hard time for about 2 weeks now..even drinking water

sometimes very difficult..I have had to throw up almost everytime after

eating. I have done well with the fill..got it october 16th. and this is

the first time it has stayed with me this long..i keep thinking ok..it

will be better. I can only eat about 3 bites of food and sometimes not

even that.. i am thinking i need an unfill for a few weeks at least..any

suggestions..i think it is better and again i take my bites and out i

need it to come..thanks for any of you that have any suggestions..i was

going to drive down monday and get an unfill ...i just cant take the

feeling any longer.. anyone had the same thing???

> sandy

>

>

> Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence

Body Weight

>

> Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight

>

> http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/ 94001.php

>

> Reporting in the online journal BMC Genetics , researchers from the

Monell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number of

genes that contribute to obesity and body weight.

>

> The findings suggest that over 6,000 genes - about 25 percent of the

genome - help determine an individual's body weight.

>

> " Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' have become

common in the scientific literature and also the popular press, " notes

Monell behavioral geneticist G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on the

study.

>

> " Our results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one of

the many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to the

obesity problem is unlikely. "

>

> To obtain an estimate of how many genes contribute to body weight, the

Monell researchers surveyed the Laboratory Mouse Genome Database

for information on body weights of knockout mouse strains.

>

> Knockout mice have had a specific gene inactivated, or " knocked out. "

By studying how the knockout mice differ from normal mice, researchers

obtain information about that gene's function and how it might

contribute to disease. Mice can provide valuable information on human

disease because they share many genes with humans.

>

> The knockout approach is so useful that the inventors of the

technology were awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Knockout mice

are now standard tools in all mouse models of behavior and disease.

>

> In 60% of strains, knocking out a gene produces mice that are

nonviable; that is, the mouse cannot survive without the knocked out

gene.

>

> The Monell survey revealed that body weight was altered in over a

third of the viable knockout stains; 31 percent weighed less than

controls (indicating that the missing genes contribute to heavier body

weight), while another 3 percent weighed more (contributing to lighter

weight).

>

> Extrapolating from the total number of genes in the mouse genome, this

implies that over 6,000 genes could potentially contribute to the body

weight of a mouse.

>

> Tordoff comments, " It is interesting that there are 10 times more

genes that increase body weight than decrease it, which might help

explain why it is easier to gain weight than lose it. "

>

> Because body weight plays a role in many diseases, including

hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease, the implications of the

findings extend beyond studies of obesity and body weight. Gene

knockouts reported to affect these diseases and others could potentially

be due to a general effect to lower body weight.

>

> The findings also hold clinical relevance, according to lead author

le R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist. " Clinicians and other

professionals concerned with the development of personalized medicine

need to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genes act

together to determine disease susceptibility. "

>

> ------------ --------- -------

> Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.

> ------------ --------- -------

>

> Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study.

>

> The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic research

institute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monell has

been the nation's leading research center focused on understanding the

senses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function and

affect lives from before birth through old age. Using a

multidisciplinary approach, scientists collaborate in the areas of:

sensation and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology,

environmental and occupational health, nutrition and appetite, health

and well being, and chemical ecology and communication. Monell: Making

Sense of Taste and Smell for 40 Years. For more information, visit

http://www.monell. org/.

>

> Source: Stein

> Monell Chemical Senses Center

>

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________\

> Looking for last minute shopping deals?

> Find them fast with Search.

http://tools.search./newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

>

, you're probably too tight. If you got the fill on Wed, by now the swelling and irritation should have subsided and you should be able to get solid protein down. Don't suffer for two weeks like I did! If you can't drink, and can't get solid well chewed small pieces of solid protein down.. you need an unfill. tracymrsdash1966 <krrecruiting@...> wrote: I just had my fill this past Wed and it was a .5cc fill. My firstfillwas in September for a 1.6cc. I feel really tight. The

first night Icould barely get broth down at dinner. However..the next day I was ok.Last night was my first night having some solids and I got stuck. I wasmiserable. In the night I tried to drink some water as I was so thirstyand my stomach was waking me up grumbling. I could not even keep a fewsips of water down..kept burping it up. I am wondering if when you get afill, if you need to wait awhile to see if this improves. I mean, is thereason why we need fills is because as we lose weight, our stomachshrinks? I am so lite headed now...I need to get some nutrients in me.Right now I dont think I could handle even a drop of water..feel likethere is something stuck in my throat but I know there is not. Anysuggestions ANYONE has for me I would really appreciate it.DOB 7/12/2007207/173/145>> I am writing to ask some of you that have had the band longer. I havebeen having a hard time for about 2 weeks now..even drinking watersometimes very difficult..I have had to throw up almost everytime aftereating. I have done well with the fill..got it october 16th. and this isthe first time it has stayed with me this long..i keep thinking ok..itwill be better. I can only eat about 3 bites of food and sometimes noteven that.. i am thinking i need an unfill for a few weeks at least..anysuggestions..i think it is better and again i take my bites and out ineed it to come..thanks for any of you that have any suggestions..i wasgoing to drive down monday and get an unfill ...i just cant take thefeeling any longer.. anyone had the same thing???>

sandy>>> Thousands Of Genes Found To InfluenceBody Weight>> Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight>> http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/ 94001.php>> Reporting in the online journal BMC Genetics , researchers from theMonell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number ofgenes that contribute to obesity and body weight.>> The findings suggest that over 6,000 genes - about 25 percent of thegenome - help determine an individual's body weight.>> "Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' have

becomecommon in the scientific literature and also the popular press," notesMonell behavioral geneticist G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on thestudy.>> "Our results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one ofthe many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to theobesity problem is unlikely.">> To obtain an estimate of how many genes contribute to body weight, theMonell researchers surveyed the Laboratory Mouse Genome Databasefor information on body weights of knockout mouse strains.>> Knockout mice have had a specific gene inactivated, or "knocked out."By studying how the knockout mice differ from normal mice, researchersobtain information about that gene's function and how it mightcontribute to disease. Mice can provide valuable information on humandisease because they share many genes with humans.>> The knockout approach is so useful that

the inventors of thetechnology were awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Knockout miceare now standard tools in all mouse models of behavior and disease.>> In 60% of strains, knocking out a gene produces mice that arenonviable; that is, the mouse cannot survive without the knocked outgene.>> The Monell survey revealed that body weight was altered in over athird of the viable knockout stains; 31 percent weighed less thancontrols (indicating that the missing genes contribute to heavier bodyweight), while another 3 percent weighed more (contributing to lighterweight).>> Extrapolating from the total number of genes in the mouse genome, thisimplies that over 6,000 genes could potentially contribute to the bodyweight of a mouse.>> Tordoff comments, "It is interesting that there are 10 times moregenes that increase body weight than decrease it, which might helpexplain why

it is easier to gain weight than lose it.">> Because body weight plays a role in many diseases, includinghypertension, diabetes, and heart disease, the implications of thefindings extend beyond studies of obesity and body weight. Geneknockouts reported to affect these diseases and others could potentiallybe due to a general effect to lower body weight.>> The findings also hold clinical relevance, according to lead authorle R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist. "Clinicians and otherprofessionals concerned with the development of personalized medicineneed to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genes acttogether to determine disease susceptibility.">> ------------ --------- -------> Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.> ------------ --------- ------->> Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study.>> The

Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic researchinstitute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monell hasbeen the nation's leading research center focused on understanding thesenses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function andaffect lives from before birth through old age. Using amultidisciplinary approach, scientists collaborate in the areas of:sensation and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology,environmental and occupational health, nutrition and appetite, healthand well being, and chemical ecology and communication. Monell: MakingSense of Taste and Smell for 40 Years. For more information, visithttp://www.monell. org/.>> Source: Stein> Monell Chemical Senses Center>>>>>__________________________________________________________\____________>

Looking for last minute shopping deals?> Find them fast with Search.http://tools.search./newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>

Thanks for replying. I was getting worried. thought it was all in my head...lol..Yes it is the dehydration that i am worried about. I even woke up at 3 this morning and purged out the water. It will be over 3 weeks on friday i have been dealing with this. I did about 5 bites of cottage cheese all day today, and two cups of hot tea..thought the hot my help whatever is happening. I havent been able to drink a bottle of water though. Thanks to you for answering me and giving me advice. Sometimes these new experiences are scarey.

sandy

[Dr-Aceves-bandster s] Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight

Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weighthttp://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/ 94001.phpReporting in the online journal BMC Genetics , researchers from the Monell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number of genes that contribute to obesity and body weight. The findings suggest that over 6,000 genes - about 25 percent of the genome - help determine an individual's body weight. "Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' have become common in the scientific literature and also the popular press," notes Monell behavioral geneticist G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on the study. "Our results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one of the many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to the obesity problem is unlikely." To obtain an

estimate of how many genes contribute to body weight, the Monell researchers surveyed the Laboratory Mouse Genome Database for information on body weights of knockout mouse strains. Knockout mice have had a specific gene inactivated, or "knocked out." By studying how the knockout mice differ from normal mice, researchers obtain information about that gene's function and how it might contribute to disease. Mice can provide valuable information on human disease because they share many genes with humans. The knockout approach is so useful that the inventors of the technology were awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Knockout mice are now standard tools in all mouse models of behavior and disease. In 60% of strains, knocking out a gene produces mice that are nonviable; that is, the mouse cannot survive without the knocked out gene. The Monell survey revealed that body weight was altered in over a third of the

viable knockout stains; 31 percent weighed less than controls (indicating that the missing genes contribute to heavier body weight), while another 3 percent weighed more (contributing to lighter weight). Extrapolating from the total number of genes in the mouse genome, this implies that over 6,000 genes could potentially contribute to the body weight of a mouse. Tordoff comments, "It is interesting that there are 10 times more genes that increase body weight than decrease it, which might help explain why it is easier to gain weight than lose it." Because body weight plays a role in many diseases, including hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease, the implications of the findings extend beyond studies of obesity and body weight. Gene knockouts reported to affect these diseases and others could potentially be due to a general effect to lower body weight. The findings also hold clinical relevance, according to lead author

le R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist. "Clinicians and other professionals concerned with the development of personalized medicine need to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genes act together to determine disease susceptibility. " ------------ --------- -------Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.------------ --------- ------- Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study. The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic research institute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monell has been the nation's leading research center focused on understanding the senses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function and affect lives from before birth through old age. Using a multidisciplinary approach, scientists collaborate in the areas of: sensation and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology, environmental and occupational

health, nutrition and appetite, health and well being, and chemical ecology and communication. Monell: Making Sense of Taste and Smell for 40 Years. For more information, visit http://www.monell. org/. Source: Stein Monell Chemical Senses Center

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

:

Thanks for your response. I did better today and could get quite a bit

down with NO problems. I had a protein shake for breakfast..drank very

slowly and then soup for lunch..and then soup for dinner. In between I

had a Chai from Starbucks and water...so strange, because in the night I

could not get water down. This happend in Mexicali also after my

fill...that night I couldnt get 2 sips of water to stay down..it would

just gurgle up.

However...is is normal now to have all the stomach grumbling? Cerena

spoke of this alot on her posts that she thought it was so loud that it

would wake up her husband. It literally is waking me up at night and

then I feel SO thirsty. I just think it is because I have not had alot

of water the past few days and was dehydrated.

How do you know when you are full? I never feel full..even after this

fill..but then again its all liquids. I am too afraid now to try solids

after last night getting stuck. It doesnt seem to matter how long I chew

a piece of meat, just seems to get stuck...but I will have to try agan.

In , Lewellen

<sultrykiss_indiana@...> wrote:

>

> , you're probably too tight. If you got the fill on Wed, by now

the swelling and irritation should have subsided and you should be able

to get solid protein down. Don't suffer for two weeks like I did! If you

can't drink, and can't get solid well chewed small pieces of solid

protein down.. you need an unfill.

>

> tracy

>

> mrsdash1966 krrecruiting@... wrote:

>

> I just had my fill this past Wed and it was a .5cc fill. My first

> fillwas in September for a 1.6cc. I feel really tight. The first night

I

> could barely get broth down at dinner. However..the next day I was ok.

> Last night was my first night having some solids and I got stuck. I

was

> miserable. In the night I tried to drink some water as I was so

thirsty

> and my stomach was waking me up grumbling. I could not even keep a few

> sips of water down..kept burping it up. I am wondering if when you get

a

> fill, if you need to wait awhile to see if this improves. I mean, is

the

> reason why we need fills is because as we lose weight, our stomach

> shrinks? I am so lite headed now...I need to get some nutrients in me.

> Right now I dont think I could handle even a drop of water..feel like

> there is something stuck in my throat but I know there is not. Any

> suggestions ANYONE has for me I would really appreciate it.

>

>

>

> DOB 7/12/2007

>

> 207/173/145

>

>

> >

> > I am writing to ask some of you that have had the band longer. I

have

> been having a hard time for about 2 weeks now..even drinking water

> sometimes very difficult..I have had to throw up almost everytime

after

> eating. I have done well with the fill..got it october 16th. and this

is

> the first time it has stayed with me this long..i keep thinking ok..it

> will be better. I can only eat about 3 bites of food and sometimes not

> even that.. i am thinking i need an unfill for a few weeks at

least..any

> suggestions..i think it is better and again i take my bites and out i

> need it to come..thanks for any of you that have any suggestions..i

was

> going to drive down monday and get an unfill ...i just cant take the

> feeling any longer.. anyone had the same thing???

> > sandy

> >

> >

> > Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence

> Body Weight

> >

> > Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight

> >

> > http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/ 94001.php

> >

> > Reporting in the online journal BMC Genetics , researchers from the

> Monell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number of

> genes that contribute to obesity and body weight.

> >

> > The findings suggest that over 6,000 genes - about 25 percent of the

> genome - help determine an individual's body weight.

> >

> > " Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' have

become

> common in the scientific literature and also the popular press, " notes

> Monell behavioral geneticist G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on the

> study.

> >

> > " Our results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one of

> the many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to the

> obesity problem is unlikely. "

> >

> > To obtain an estimate of how many genes contribute to body weight,

the

> Monell researchers surveyed the Laboratory Mouse Genome

Database

> for information on body weights of knockout mouse strains.

> >

> > Knockout mice have had a specific gene inactivated, or " knocked

out. "

> By studying how the knockout mice differ from normal mice, researchers

> obtain information about that gene's function and how it might

> contribute to disease. Mice can provide valuable information on human

> disease because they share many genes with humans.

> >

> > The knockout approach is so useful that the inventors of the

> technology were awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Knockout

mice

> are now standard tools in all mouse models of behavior and disease.

> >

> > In 60% of strains, knocking out a gene produces mice that are

> nonviable; that is, the mouse cannot survive without the knocked out

> gene.

> >

> > The Monell survey revealed that body weight was altered in over a

> third of the viable knockout stains; 31 percent weighed less than

> controls (indicating that the missing genes contribute to heavier body

> weight), while another 3 percent weighed more (contributing to lighter

> weight).

> >

> > Extrapolating from the total number of genes in the mouse genome,

this

> implies that over 6,000 genes could potentially contribute to the body

> weight of a mouse.

> >

> > Tordoff comments, " It is interesting that there are 10 times more

> genes that increase body weight than decrease it, which might help

> explain why it is easier to gain weight than lose it. "

> >

> > Because body weight plays a role in many diseases, including

> hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease, the implications of the

> findings extend beyond studies of obesity and body weight. Gene

> knockouts reported to affect these diseases and others could

potentially

> be due to a general effect to lower body weight.

> >

> > The findings also hold clinical relevance, according to lead author

> le R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist. " Clinicians and other

> professionals concerned with the development of personalized medicine

> need to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genes

act

> together to determine disease susceptibility. "

> >

> > ------------ --------- -------

> > Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.

> > ------------ --------- -------

> >

> > Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study.

> >

> > The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic research

> institute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monell

has

> been the nation's leading research center focused on understanding the

> senses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function and

> affect lives from before birth through old age. Using a

> multidisciplinary approach, scientists collaborate in the areas of:

> sensation and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology,

> environmental and occupational health, nutrition and appetite, health

> and well being, and chemical ecology and communication. Monell: Making

> Sense of Taste and Smell for 40 Years. For more information, visit

> http://www.monell. org/.

> >

> > Source: Stein

> > Monell Chemical Senses Center

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> __________________________________________________________\

> ____________

> > Looking for last minute shopping deals?

> > Find them fast with Search.

> http://tools.search./newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

>

Sandy, sometimes stress can tighten a fill up and it can get loser later. ALSO with me.. this is just me now.. I tend to tighten up around or close to " that time of month" If its too tight though.. Yep get the unfillsandy doyle <doylesandy@...> wrote: Thanks for replying. I was getting worried. thought it was all in my head...lol..Yes it is the

dehydration that i am worried about. I even woke up at 3 this morning and purged out the water. It will be over 3 weeks on friday i have been dealing with this. I did about 5 bites of cottage cheese all day today, and two cups of hot tea..thought the hot my help whatever is happening. I havent been able to drink a bottle of water though. Thanks to you for answering me and giving me advice. Sometimes these new experiences are scarey. sandy [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weighthttp://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/ 94001.phpReporting in the online journal BMC Genetics , researchers from the Monell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number of genes that contribute to obesity and body weight. The findings suggest that over 6,000 genes - about 25 percent of the genome - help determine an individual's body weight. "Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' have become common in the scientific literature and also the popular press," notes Monell behavioral geneticist G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on the study. "Our

results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one of the many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to the obesity problem is unlikely." To obtain an estimate of how many genes contribute to body weight, the Monell researchers surveyed the Laboratory Mouse Genome Database for information on body weights of knockout mouse strains. Knockout mice have had a specific gene inactivated, or "knocked out." By studying how the knockout mice differ from normal mice, researchers obtain information about that gene's function and how it might contribute to disease. Mice can provide valuable information on human disease because they share many genes with humans. The knockout approach is so useful that the inventors of the technology were awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Knockout mice are now standard tools in all mouse models of behavior and disease. In 60% of strains, knocking out a gene produces mice that are

nonviable; that is, the mouse cannot survive without the knocked out gene. The Monell survey revealed that body weight was altered in over a third of the viable knockout stains; 31 percent weighed less than controls (indicating that the missing genes contribute to heavier body weight), while another 3 percent weighed more (contributing to lighter weight). Extrapolating from the total number of genes in the mouse genome, this implies that over 6,000 genes could potentially contribute to the body weight of a mouse. Tordoff comments, "It is interesting that there are 10 times more genes that increase body weight than decrease it, which might help explain why it is easier to gain weight than lose it." Because body weight plays a role in many diseases, including hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease, the implications of the findings extend beyond studies of obesity and body weight. Gene knockouts reported to affect these diseases and others

could potentially be due to a general effect to lower body weight. The findings also hold clinical relevance, according to lead author le R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist. "Clinicians and other professionals concerned with the development of personalized medicine need to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genes act together to determine disease susceptibility. " ------------ --------- -------Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.------------ --------- ------- Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study. The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic research institute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monell has been the nation's leading research center focused on understanding the senses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function and affect lives from before birth through old age. Using a multidisciplinary approach, scientists

collaborate in the areas of: sensation and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology, environmental and occupational health, nutrition and appetite, health and well being, and chemical ecology and communication. Monell: Making Sense of Taste and Smell for 40 Years. For more information, visit http://www.monell. org/. Source: Stein Monell Chemical Senses Center Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

, Just try mushie or soft foods the next 24 hours.. then slowly add back in tender well chewed pieces of meat. As for feeling full, that's part of "bandster hell" I suppose. Some people get a full feeling after their small portion.. others of us just know we have to stop to lose weight. Supposedly with the right amount of fill there's a feeling of fullness, satiety etc. I haven't figured it out yet, but I seem to have trouble adjusting to fills. Good luck with the re-introduction of solid proteins! mrsdash1966 <krrecruiting@...> wrote: :Thanks for your response. I did better today and could get quite a bitdown with NO problems. I had a protein shake for breakfast..drank veryslowly and then soup for lunch..and then soup for dinner. In between Ihad a Chai from Starbucks and water...so strange, because in the night Icould not get water down. This happend in Mexicali also after myfill...that night I couldnt get 2 sips of water to stay down..it wouldjust gurgle up.However...is is normal now to have all the stomach grumbling? Cerenaspoke of this alot on her posts that she thought it was so loud that itwould wake up her husband. It literally is waking me up at night andthen I feel SO thirsty. I just think it is because I have not had alotof water the past few days and was dehydrated.How do you know when you are full? I

never feel full..even after thisfill..but then again its all liquids. I am too afraid now to try solidsafter last night getting stuck. It doesnt seem to matter how long I chewa piece of meat, just seems to get stuck...but I will have to try agan.In , Lewellen<sultrykiss_indiana@...> wrote:>> , you're probably too tight. If you got the fill on Wed, by nowthe swelling and irritation should have subsided and you should be ableto get solid protein down. Don't suffer for two weeks like I did! If youcan't drink, and can't get solid well chewed small pieces of solidprotein down.. you need an unfill.>> tracy>> mrsdash1966 krrecruiting@... wrote:>> I just had my fill this past Wed and it was a .5cc fill. My first> fillwas in September for a

1.6cc. I feel really tight. The first nightI> could barely get broth down at dinner. However..the next day I was ok.> Last night was my first night having some solids and I got stuck. Iwas> miserable. In the night I tried to drink some water as I was sothirsty> and my stomach was waking me up grumbling. I could not even keep a few> sips of water down..kept burping it up. I am wondering if when you geta> fill, if you need to wait awhile to see if this improves. I mean, isthe> reason why we need fills is because as we lose weight, our stomach> shrinks? I am so lite headed now...I need to get some nutrients in me.> Right now I dont think I could handle even a drop of water..feel like> there is something stuck in my throat but I know there is not. Any> suggestions ANYONE has for me I would really appreciate it.>> >> DOB 7/12/2007>>

207/173/145>> > >> > I am writing to ask some of you that have had the band longer. Ihave> been having a hard time for about 2 weeks now..even drinking water> sometimes very difficult..I have had to throw up almost everytimeafter> eating. I have done well with the fill..got it october 16th. and thisis> the first time it has stayed with me this long..i keep thinking ok..it> will be better. I can only eat about 3 bites of food and sometimes not> even that.. i am thinking i need an unfill for a few weeks atleast..any> suggestions..i think it is better and again i take my bites and out i> need it to come..thanks for any of you that have any suggestions..iwas> going to drive down monday and get an unfill

....i just cant take the> feeling any longer.. anyone had the same thing???> > sandy> >> >> > Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence> Body Weight> >> > Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight> >> > http://www.medicaln ewstoday. com/articles/ 94001.php> >> > Reporting in the online journal BMC Genetics , researchers from the> Monell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number of> genes that contribute to obesity and body weight.> >> > The findings suggest that over

6,000 genes - about 25 percent of the> genome - help determine an individual's body weight.> >> > "Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' havebecome> common in the scientific literature and also the popular press," notes> Monell behavioral geneticist G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on the> study.> >> > "Our results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one of> the many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to the> obesity problem is unlikely."> >> > To obtain an estimate of how many genes contribute to body weight,the> Monell researchers surveyed the Laboratory Mouse GenomeDatabase> for information on body weights of knockout mouse strains.> >> > Knockout mice have had a specific gene inactivated, or "knockedout."> By studying how the knockout mice differ from

normal mice, researchers> obtain information about that gene's function and how it might> contribute to disease. Mice can provide valuable information on human> disease because they share many genes with humans.> >> > The knockout approach is so useful that the inventors of the> technology were awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Knockoutmice> are now standard tools in all mouse models of behavior and disease.> >> > In 60% of strains, knocking out a gene produces mice that are> nonviable; that is, the mouse cannot survive without the knocked out> gene.> >> > The Monell survey revealed that body weight was altered in over a> third of the viable knockout stains; 31 percent weighed less than> controls (indicating that the missing genes contribute to heavier body> weight), while another 3 percent weighed more (contributing to

lighter> weight).> >> > Extrapolating from the total number of genes in the mouse genome,this> implies that over 6,000 genes could potentially contribute to the body> weight of a mouse.> >> > Tordoff comments, "It is interesting that there are 10 times more> genes that increase body weight than decrease it, which might help> explain why it is easier to gain weight than lose it."> >> > Because body weight plays a role in many diseases, including> hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease, the implications of the> findings extend beyond studies of obesity and body weight. Gene> knockouts reported to affect these diseases and others couldpotentially> be due to a general effect to lower body weight.> >> > The findings also hold clinical relevance, according to lead author> le R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist.

"Clinicians and other> professionals concerned with the development of personalized medicine> need to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genesact> together to determine disease susceptibility."> >> > ------------ --------- -------> > Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.> > ------------ --------- -------> >> > Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study.> >> > The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic research> institute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monellhas> been the nation's leading research center focused on understanding the> senses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function and> affect lives from before birth through old age. Using a> multidisciplinary approach, scientists collaborate in the areas of:> sensation

and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology,> environmental and occupational health, nutrition and appetite, health> and well being, and chemical ecology and communication. Monell: Making> Sense of Taste and Smell for 40 Years. For more information, visit> http://www.monell. org/.> >> > Source: Stein> > Monell Chemical Senses Center> >> >> >> >> >> __________________________________________________________\> ____________> > Looking for last minute shopping deals?> > Find them fast with Search.> http://tools.search./newsearch/category.php?category=shopping> >>>>>>>>

---------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.>

I just wanted to say... Those thousands of genes. I am one of the lucky ones who inherited all of those genes.. all of those thousands. Lewellen <sultrykiss_indiana@...> wrote: , Just try mushie or soft foods the next 24 hours.. then slowly add back in tender well chewed pieces of meat. As for feeling full, that's part of "bandster hell" I suppose. Some people get a full feeling after their small portion.. others of us just know we have to stop to lose weight. Supposedly with the right amount of

fill there's a feeling of fullness, satiety etc. I haven't figured it out yet, but I seem to have trouble adjusting to fills. Good luck with the re-introduction of solid proteins! mrsdash1966 <krrecruitingcomcast (DOT) net> wrote: :Thanks for your response. I did better today and could get quite a bitdown with NO problems. I had a protein shake for breakfast..drank veryslowly and then soup for lunch..and then soup for dinner. In between Ihad a Chai from Starbucks and water...so strange, because in the night Icould not get water down. This happend in Mexicali also after myfill...that night I couldnt get 2 sips of water to stay down..it wouldjust gurgle up.However...is is normal now to have all the stomach grumbling?

Cerenaspoke of this alot on her posts that she thought it was so loud that itwould wake up her husband. It literally is waking me up at night andthen I feel SO thirsty. I just think it is because I have not had alotof water the past few days and was dehydrated.How do you know when you are full? I never feel full..even after thisfill..but then again its all liquids. I am too afraid now to try solidsafter last night getting stuck. It doesnt seem to matter how long I chewa piece of meat, just seems to get stuck...but I will have to try agan.In , Lewellen<sultrykiss_indiana@...> wrote:>> , you're probably too tight. If you got the fill on Wed, by nowthe swelling and irritation should have subsided and you should be ableto get solid protein down. Don't suffer for two weeks like

I did! If youcan't drink, and can't get solid well chewed small pieces of solidprotein down.. you need an unfill.>> tracy>> mrsdash1966 krrecruiting@... wrote:>> I just had my fill this past Wed and it was a .5cc fill. My first> fillwas in September for a 1.6cc. I feel really tight. The first nightI> could barely get broth down at dinner. However..the next day I was ok.> Last night was my first night having some solids and I got stuck. Iwas> miserable. In the night I tried to drink some water as I was sothirsty> and my stomach was waking me up grumbling. I could not even keep a few> sips of water down..kept burping it up. I am wondering if when you geta> fill, if you need to wait awhile to see if this improves. I mean, isthe> reason why we need fills is because as we lose weight, our stomach> shrinks? I am so lite headed now...I need to

get some nutrients in me.> Right now I dont think I could handle even a drop of water..feel like> there is something stuck in my throat but I know there is not. Any> suggestions ANYONE has for me I would really appreciate it.>> >> DOB 7/12/2007>> 207/173/145>> > >> > I am writing to ask some of you that have had the band longer. Ihave> been having a hard time for about 2 weeks now..even drinking water> sometimes very difficult..I have had to throw up almost everytimeafter> eating. I have done well with the fill..got it october 16th. and thisis> the first time it has stayed with me this long..i keep thinking ok..it> will be better. I can only eat about 3 bites of food and

sometimes not> even that.. i am thinking i need an unfill for a few weeks atleast..any> suggestions..i think it is better and again i take my bites and out i> need it to come..thanks for any of you that have any suggestions..iwas> going to drive down monday and get an unfill ...i just cant take the> feeling any longer.. anyone had the same thing???> > sandy> >> >> > Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence> Body Weight> >> > Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight> >> > http://www.medicaln

ewstoday. com/articles/ 94001.php> >> > Reporting in the online journal BMC Genetics , researchers from the> Monell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number of> genes that contribute to obesity and body weight.> >> > The findings suggest that over 6,000 genes - about 25 percent of the> genome - help determine an individual's body weight.> >> > "Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' havebecome> common in the scientific literature and also the popular press," notes> Monell behavioral geneticist G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on the> study.> >> > "Our results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one of> the many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to the> obesity problem is unlikely."> >> > To obtain an estimate of how many genes contribute to body

weight,the> Monell researchers surveyed the Laboratory Mouse GenomeDatabase> for information on body weights of knockout mouse strains.> >> > Knockout mice have had a specific gene inactivated, or "knockedout."> By studying how the knockout mice differ from normal mice, researchers> obtain information about that gene's function and how it might> contribute to disease. Mice can provide valuable information on human> disease because they share many genes with humans.> >> > The knockout approach is so useful that the inventors of the> technology were awarded the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine. Knockoutmice> are now standard tools in all mouse models of behavior and disease.> >> > In 60% of strains, knocking out a gene produces mice that are> nonviable; that is, the mouse cannot survive without the knocked out> gene.>

>> > The Monell survey revealed that body weight was altered in over a> third of the viable knockout stains; 31 percent weighed less than> controls (indicating that the missing genes contribute to heavier body> weight), while another 3 percent weighed more (contributing to lighter> weight).> >> > Extrapolating from the total number of genes in the mouse genome,this> implies that over 6,000 genes could potentially contribute to the body> weight of a mouse.> >> > Tordoff comments, "It is interesting that there are 10 times more> genes that increase body weight than decrease it, which might help> explain why it is easier to gain weight than lose it."> >> > Because body weight plays a role in many diseases, including> hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease, the implications of the> findings extend beyond studies of obesity and

body weight. Gene> knockouts reported to affect these diseases and others couldpotentially> be due to a general effect to lower body weight.> >> > The findings also hold clinical relevance, according to lead author> le R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist. "Clinicians and other> professionals concerned with the development of personalized medicine> need to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genesact> together to determine disease susceptibility."> >> > ------------ --------- -------> > Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.> > ------------ --------- -------> >> > Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study.> >> > The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic research> institute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monellhas>

been the nation's leading research center focused on understanding the> senses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function and> affect lives from before birth through old age. Using a> multidisciplinary approach, scientists collaborate in the areas of:> sensation and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology,> environmental and occupational health, nutrition and appetite, health> and well being, and chemical ecology and communication. Monell: Making> Sense of Taste and Smell for 40 Years. For more information, visit> http://www.monell. org/.> >> > Source: Stein> > Monell Chemical Senses Center> >> >> >> >> >> __________________________________________________________\> ____________> > Looking for last minute shopping

deals?> > Find them fast with Search.> http://tools.search./newsearch/category.php?category=shopping> >>>>>>>> ---------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Yes i was thinking something of that sort..but when it didnt change and i still couldnt really eat , or drink...which the drinking is what worried me. I have been doing the cottage cheese and i am feeling better than i did..i havent thrown up all day today.. lol..that is a first in 2 weeks plus.. i am just doing tiny amounts , still havent ate much , but trying to give it a break and hopefully by thursday i will know if i need to go down friday or not. Thanks for the info i appreciate it.

sandy

[Dr-Aceves-bandster s] Thousands Of Genes Found To Influence Body Weight

le R. , PhD, a Monell geneticist. "Clinicians and other professionals concerned with the development of personalized medicine need to expand their ideas of genetics to recognize that many genes act together to determine disease susceptibility. " ------------ --------- -------Article adapted by Medical News Today from original press release.------------ --------- ------- Maureen P. Lawler also contributed to the study. The Monell Chemical Senses Center is a nonprofit basic research institute based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. For 40 years, Monell has been the nation's leading research center focused on understanding the senses of smell, taste and chemical irritation: how they function and affect lives from before birth through old age. Using a multidisciplinary approach, scientists collaborate in the areas of: sensation and perception, neuroscience and molecular biology, environmental and occupational