RemedySpot.com

Re: Some questions??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Terra, it sounds like you need an adjustment (unfill) and this procedure should be done with fluro x-ray to be sure your pouch and band are still in good shape. I would suggest you call Dr. A.'s office and speak with them to brief them on all the details of your situation, then do what they say.

C

Tampa

> > From: rtsquare@...> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 00:46:06 +0000> Subject: Some questions??> > Hello fellow bandsters,> A few questions for all of you. I know I have not posted on here > much but I needed to see if any of you can help explain to me what is > happening. I got my band on May 26th, 2007 in Mexicali. I had one > fill in September(in Washington state as it is a very very long trip > to Mexicali) and I have had problems ever since. I can eat > everything I am not supposed to, and I can't eat what is supposed to > work. Anything soft, with texture goes down hard for example > applesauce, thick protien shakes etc. I can't hardly go to the > bathroom, it hurts cause it is so hard. I find that I am unable to > get anything (food or shakes) down before at least noon, sometimes > later.> > After I got the fill I called the doctor back because at that time I > could not even ingest water before noon. He said that it was too > tight but it would loosen up in a couple of weeks and it was up to me > if I wanted to make the drive as it is pretty far also. It seems > that it did loosen up but I still have all these problems and can't > eat what I am supposed to and can eat everything I am not supposed > to, actually I can not eat Pizza dough or noodles and thats about > it. Many many people have a hard time with carbonation which that > does not bother me either? I can't seem to figure this out.> > I know I should go and get another fill as I have only lost about > between 10 and 20 lbs. since May, however I have not even adjusted to > this fill yet.> > Any words of advice are welcomed.> > Thank you,> Terra> > > > >

Terra, I'm sorry you are having such difficulties. One thing Dr. Aceves tries to teach all of us is that we still need to have some quality of life when it comes to food but it doesn't sound like you are able to do that. Let me just take a moment to tell you my thoughts about your situation. It may or may not help. When you say you can eat everything you are not supposed to, what exactly do you mean? The band isn't necessarily going to keep you from eating anything at all. Yes, there are some foods that are more difficult than others but that isn't the point of the band. The band should be helping with portion control if nothing else. If you are able to eat more than one cup of solid food at a sitting, you need a fill. If there are certain foods that don't go down well, try it three times and call it a strike out if it doesn't work any of

those times. (I can't eat applesause either for some reason!) I got really burned out with protein shakes early on in my banded life so I haven't had one in a long, long time. I will have frozen yogurt sometimes but not very often and certainly not early in the morning. Speaking of morning and your difficulties with eating before noon. My time to start eating during the day is around 1:30pm. Before that I drink coffee and water. On a loose day I can eat a tiny bit of oatmeal around 11:00 or so IF I'M LUCKY! But, so be it. That is the life of having a band. I have grown accustomed to that and it isn't a problem for me at this point. You may not be able to eat anything until later in the day....that is just part of it for some of us. Pizza dough? noodles? Neither of these are an option for me. I eat lots of soup (which I dearly love anyway) and

vegetables that are cooked thoroughly. Yes, there are some days when I can't eat very much. I get frustrated at times when I have cooked something that I really want and can't eat it but I just remind myself that I'll get to eat again tomorrow and I usually do! There are very few times that I can't eat anything at all. In fact, I only experience this when it is my time of the month or if I'm really stressed out (which is actually very, very rare). I guess these issues have gotten easier to live with since I'm getting close to my 2 year mark. Food just doesn't have the pull on me anymore that it did at one time. Sure, there are foods that I crave. There are foods that I eat even though I know I shouldn't. There are times when I eat too much. There are times I can't eat anything at all. I have just had to learn to go with the flow. My band is the boss and she is in

total control! Even when I try to eat around my band or do something to sabatoge her, she kicks my butt! lol If I were you, this is what I would do. Start over. Give yourself 2 or 3 days of liquids before moving up to mushies for a day or two. Then, start over with solids and see how it goes. It takes a while to learn to live with our bands and sometimes we have to go back to the basics for a while. If, by chance, you have irritated your stomach/esophagus/band/stoma or whatever, it will give it a chance to heal and that may make a difference. Then, see what happens. If things aren't better, you may actually consider having a slight unfill. Sounds crazy, right? But, being too tight can create all sorts of problems and has the potential to cause some serious problems down the road. You need to be comfortable when you eat. That

doesn't mean that EVERYTHING will work but you shouldn't be in pain each time you eat. You have to find a fill that works for you....you can eat an appropriate amount of solid foods, still lose weight, and not PB too often. What size band do you have? At what fill level are you? Everyone is so different in this respect but I'm just curious. I have had 5 fills and am finally at the right amount for me. My weight fluctuates but I have learned how to use my band as a tool that helps me to keep my weight in check and not gain too much. When I see that I have gained a pound or so, I cut back and it comes off almost immediately! THAT is the beauty of the band! I've always been able to lose weight rather rapidly but was never able to keep it off in the past. Not this time. I have been at goal for almost 6 months and am maintaining it with very little difficulty....just a little will power that is enhanced greatly

by my wonderful band! You'll be there one day! I don't know if I offered you anything useful. Just don't give up. Take a break, stay on liquids a few days, work your way back to solids, and see how it goes. Keep in touch and feel free to email me privately if you are interested. Good Luck, Jenni Currie DOB 2/23/06 247/145/138 5 fills 3 unfillsrtsquare <rtsquare@...> wrote: Hello

fellow bandsters,A few questions for all of you. I know I have not posted on here much but I needed to see if any of you can help explain to me what is happening. I got my band on May 26th, 2007 in Mexicali. I had one fill in September(in Washington state as it is a very very long trip to Mexicali) and I have had problems ever since. I can eat everything I am not supposed to, and I can't eat what is supposed to work. Anything soft, with texture goes down hard for example applesauce, thick protien shakes etc. I can't hardly go to the bathroom, it hurts cause it is so hard. I find that I am unable to get anything (food or shakes) down before at least noon, sometimes later.After I got the fill I called the doctor back because at that time I could not even ingest water before noon. He said that it was too tight but it would loosen up in a couple of weeks and it was up to me if I wanted to make the drive as it is

pretty far also. It seems that it did loosen up but I still have all these problems and can't eat what I am supposed to and can eat everything I am not supposed to, actually I can not eat Pizza dough or noodles and thats about it. Many many people have a hard time with carbonation which that does not bother me either? I can't seem to figure this out.I know I should go and get another fill as I have only lost about between 10 and 20 lbs. since May, however I have not even adjusted to this fill yet.Any words of advice are welcomed.Thank you,Terra

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

-

HI Terra~

May I ask where you got your fill? I am in Washington and I have not

gotten a fill yet but I made an appointment for Feb. 20. I have been

dragging my feet getting this first fill because I can't seem to find

a good doctor who does fills under fluro that will see me for less

than $500.

I am sorry you are having problems! I am sure you will get lots of

wonderful helpful hints here, tho!

Thanks~

Sheri

Jenni,

Thank you for this response, though it was not meant for me it really spoke to

me.

I got a fill a couple weeks back and I have been struggling with it. I am very,

very tight at times and then more open other times. And my friends & family

keep asking me " is that normal " ? And to be truthful, I don't know what is

normal. I know I had a good day today because I didn't try to eat anything

until mid-afternoon. When you say our bands are the boss you are NOT kidding.

:) I truly feel I have a good restriction and not too tight but its just a

matter of me adjusting to what really is my first good restriction. And I think

that means for me to eat later in the day as I open up. And it is funny how

your " head hunger " sneaks up on you. I have been struggling with wanting to

eat, even when I know I am too tight and trying it and making myself miserable.

The " head stuff " is a real kick in the pants because it sneaks up on you when

you just thought you had it beat.

So it was relief to read that you too cannot eat until the afternoon. So I

think I just need to " reprogram " myself on when I can have my meals.

Nadine

DOB 3/24/07

372(346)/285/150

fill 2

I can eat

> everything I am not supposed to, and I can't eat what is supposed to

Hi Terra,

My experience with the band is eating very small bites of food and

usually when I eat meat I need to have some kind of sauce or gravy over

it and very small bites!

I would suggest to relax and let the band guide you if you can't drink

or eat until later don't worry about it just make sure you get your

fluid and protein in every day.

I have trouble with protein shakes so I mix with oj or milk to thin

down sip on them slowly.

May I suggest to you STOP drinking carbonated drinks you dont want to

stretch your stomach or band! There are some great drinks out there

without carbonation.

We live with a band around our stomachs and every day you will have a

different experience, so stay focused to why you had the band in the

first place to lose the weight. Stay away from food that you have

trouble with, try different foods, learn what works for you and go with

it.

It is important to have a good restriction so you eat small portions of

food stay full longer and you will lose the weight.

Best of Luck to You

Audrey

Sheri: Forgive me for being nosy, but if you are planning to spend that much money, why not fly to San Diego on a Saturday and return to Washington the same day? It's a long trip by it would cost you the airfare and about 80 bucks at the hospital. Just a thought.

C

Tampa

> > From: cooladdict@...> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 05:49:18 +0000> Subject: Re: Some questions??> > -> HI Terra~> > May I ask where you got your fill? I am in Washington and I have not > gotten a fill yet but I made an appointment for Feb. 20. I have been > dragging my feet getting this first fill because I can't seem to find > a good doctor who does fills under fluro that will see me for less > than $500. > > I am sorry you are having problems! I am sure you will get lots of > wonderful helpful hints here, tho!> > Thanks~> Sheri> > > >

Oh I wouldn't spend $500 on a fill! I am spending

$150 to go local. It was still a hard decision, and

if I could spend a little more or wait a little longer

I would definitely go to Mexicali!

--- ldccox@... wrote:

> Sheri: Forgive me for being nosy, but if you are

> planning to spend that much money, why not fly to

> San Diego on a Saturday and return to Washington the

> same day? It's a long trip by it would cost you the

> airfare and about 80 bucks at the hospital. Just a

> thought.

> C

> Tampa

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ