RemedySpot.com

Re: 5 months post op sleeve progress update

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello loretam, my name is nora i had the band put on i lost weight but not to much it will be taken off i am having alot of pain, i want to do the sleeve, but i have to weight on it, i weight 200 now i want to be at least 130 i dont have any dicipline but i the bypass scared me so now that the sleeve i heard of it iwill have it done next year some time dont know exactly when but how do yu feel,,,,,

From: lorettaj1951 <lorettaj1951@...>Subject: 5 months post op sleeve progress update Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 3:28 PMIt's almost been 5 months. I had my sleeve 6/27/08. I am down 65lbs. The weight loss has slowed down, but it's still about a pound and a half a week. But I can move again!!! This alone is a miracle, because at my heaviest, I flirted with the idea of getting one of those scooter type chairs because I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes w/o having leg pain. Once I lost about 40 lbs I joined a gym and got back on the treadmill. I even got a personal trainer and am heading toward becoming physically fit. I actually lift weights and do abdominal crunches!!!???

( 6 months ago I woulda never thought possible )The other day I noticed that I am no longer huffing and puffing all the time unless I am working out hard. I was 253lbs and now I am 188lbs. That is far from being thin at 5'2" but I am feeling thin relative to what I was. The flab and loose skin is not as bad as I thought. It may get alot worse in another 50lbs, but I'll worry about that later. My latest treat was being able to zip up an old pair of size 16 jeans and giving 6 bags of fat clothes to Goodwill.Even some shoes are too big for me now. I am going to be going on a weekend vacation to Santa Cruz in a week and a half and I am looking forward to being able to fit in a plane seat again. My last vacation was a big hassle. I was miserable from the start.Everything was a struggle being that much overweight.

Needless to say, I am very happy to have had this surgery.I dont

know where I was headed before that. Maybe an L and I from obesity.

Like others I wish I would have known about this years ago. ------------------------------------

ALRIGHT LORETTA! I am so proud of you! You are ahead of me....of course, you have been ahead of me in the weight loss department. I am down 55 lbs and weigh 181. Doesn't it feel good to be in the 180s? Just think, 5 months ago....we couldn't imagine being here and it is so nice to cross my legs and put my hands in my lap....not on the shelf that used to be my stomach! I can also cross my arms across my body....not resting them on my shelf of a stomach! I just feel great compared to hauling my carcass around at 236 lbs 5 months ago!

I know the next 50 will feel even better as I won't be huffing and puffing when I walk and do more exercise. The loose skin is starting to show on my thighs and stomach. My stomach is looking like a deflated baloon. The tops of my thighs are very wrinkly..and my neck is getting the waddle from losing the fat around my neck. I can always get those fixed.....so I don't mind......I would rather have the wrinkly skin and feel lighter than having to feel tired all the time.

I am so thrilled with your progress! Send us some pictures of the new Loretta!

Hugs!

Gail

From: lorettaj1951 <lorettaj1951@...>Subject: 5 months post op sleeve progress update Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 3:28 PM

It's almost been 5 months. I had my sleeve 6/27/08. I am down 65lbs. The weight loss has slowed down, but it's still about a pound and a half a week. But I can move again!!! This alone is a miracle, because at my heaviest, I flirted with the idea of getting one of those scooter type chairs because I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes w/o having leg pain. Once I lost about 40 lbs I joined a gym and got back on the treadmill. I even got a personal trainer and am heading toward becoming physically fit. I actually lift weights and do abdominal crunches!!!? ??( 6 months ago I woulda never thought possible )The other day I noticed that I am no longer huffing and puffing all the time unless I am working out hard. I was 253lbs and now I am 188lbs. That is far from being thin at 5'2" but I am feeling thin relative to what I was. The flab and loose skin is not as bad as I thought. It may get alot worse

in another 50lbs, but I'll worry about that later. My latest treat was being able to zip up an old pair of size 16 jeans and giving 6 bags of fat clothes to Goodwill.Even some shoes are too big for me now. I am going to be going on a weekend vacation to Santa Cruz in a week and a half and I am looking forward to being able to fit in a plane seat again. My last vacation was a big hassle. I was miserable from the start.Everything was a struggle being that much overweight.Needless to say, I am very happy to have had this surgery.I dontknow where I was headed before that. Maybe an L and I from obesity.Like others I wish I would have known about this years ago.

Nora, I feel good. I can't eat things like french fries or other fried food. Kind of miss that. I have a problem with constipation now that I'm on a different type of diet. And you don't want to lay down after eating- you'll get big time indigestion. I can live with these things because I know in 6 months I am going to be a lot thinner and the quality of my life is getting better.

From: lorettaj1951 <lorettaj1951>Subject: [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] 5 months post op sleeve progress update @groups. comDate: Monday, November 24, 2008, 3:28 PMIt's almost been 5 months. I had my sleeve 6/27/08. I am down 65lbs. The weight loss has slowed down, but it's still about a pound and a half a week. But I can move again!!! This alone is a miracle, because at my heaviest, I flirted with the idea of getting one of those scooter type chairs because I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes w/o having leg pain. Once I lost about 40 lbs I joined a gym and got back on the treadmill. I even got a personal trainer and am heading toward becoming physically fit. I actually lift weights and do abdominal crunches!!!? ??

( 6 months ago I woulda never thought possible )The other day I noticed that I am no longer huffing and puffing all the time unless I am working out hard. I was 253lbs and now I am 188lbs. That is far from being thin at 5'2" but I am feeling thin relative to what I was. The flab and loose skin is not as bad as I thought. It may get alot worse in another 50lbs, but I'll worry about that later. My latest treat was being able to zip up an old pair of size 16 jeans and giving 6 bags of fat clothes to Goodwill.Even some shoes are too big for me now. I am going to be going on a weekend vacation to Santa Cruz in a week and a half and I am looking forward to being able to fit in a plane seat again. My last vacation was a big hassle. I was miserable from the start.Everything was a struggle being that much overweight.

Needless to say, I am very happy to have had this surgery.I dont

know where I was headed before that. Maybe an L and I from obesity.

Like others I wish I would have known about this years ago. ------------ --------- --------- ------

Gail, Thanks! Have you seen the post where the girl lost 30 lbs in the first month!!!??? Wow, that's a pound a day. I will take a camera with me to San Francisco/San and will take some pictures. I was hoping to be down to 185 by 12/5. Don't know if I'll make it.

It's hard going by the scale now because I'm building muscle which adds weight. I'm doing an hour of cardio a day, working with a personal trainer 3 times a week and swimming 3 times a week. Right now I'm pretty sore. But I'm heading out to buy a couple of outfits for my trip next weekend and it will be fun to see where I wind up on the rack size-wise.

Hey, 55 lbs is not too shabby, you go girl!!!! I bet ya the other girls are completely thin by now (Marilyn and Carla) They didn't have all that much to lose. What is your sister saying about your weight loss? Has she seen you? I have the start of a turkey neck. Gobble,Gobble ,Gobble. Maybe we can go back and get nipped and tucked next year.

Have a Great Thansgiving !!! Thank the Lord we are losing this flubber !!! Hugs !! Loretta

From: lorettaj1951 <lorettaj1951>Subject: [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] 5 months post op sleeve progress update @groups. comDate: Monday, November 24, 2008, 3:28 PM

It's almost been 5 months. I had my sleeve 6/27/08. I am down 65lbs. The weight loss has slowed down, but it's still about a pound and a half a week. But I can move again!!! This alone is a miracle, because at my heaviest, I flirted with the idea of getting one of those scooter type chairs because I couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes w/o having leg pain. Once I lost about 40 lbs I joined a gym and got back on the treadmill. I even got a personal trainer and am heading toward becoming physically fit. I actually lift weights and do abdominal crunches!!!? ??( 6 months ago I woulda never thought possible )The other day I noticed that I am no longer huffing and puffing all the time unless I am working out hard. I was 253lbs and now I am 188lbs. That is far from being thin at 5'2" but I am feeling thin relative to what I was. The flab and loose skin is not as bad as I thought. It may get alot worse

in another 50lbs, but I'll worry about that later. My latest treat was being able to zip up an old pair of size 16 jeans and giving 6 bags of fat clothes to Goodwill.Even some shoes are too big for me now. I am going to be going on a weekend vacation to Santa Cruz in a week and a half and I am looking forward to being able to fit in a plane seat again. My last vacation was a big hassle. I was miserable from the start.Everything was a struggle being that much overweight.Needless to say, I am very happy to have had this surgery.I dontknow where I was headed before that. Maybe an L and I from obesity.Like others I wish I would have known about this years ago.

Loretta;

Yes, that is amazing losing a pound per day! I used to be able to do that in my youth! However, I am at peace and very happy with my weight loss! Sometimes, I want it over with and get on with my tummy tucks and other lifts.....but that is part of the journey that I need to be at peace with a travel it joyfully!

I want to be in the low 170s, since I see with every ten pounds my body changes...but again....I have to be patient!

Have a wonderful Turkey Day!

Gail

From: lorettaj1951 <lorettaj1951>Subject: [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] 5 months post op sleeve progress update @groups. comDate: Monday, November 24, 2008, 3:28 PM

hello loreta, this is nora cervantes, how are you doing did you get the dumping sydrome with this yes or no

Nora, Yes, I have had the dumping syndrome this year. I didn't really notice it until a few weeks after the surgery. I was on a vacation and I was drinking alot of lemonade. I would start to sweat profusely shortly after drinking it. My sister who has had a gastric bypass was there and that's what she said it was. I was surprised because I thought only bypass patients get that. And I would sneak some of those little sherbert cups at work and notice that shortly after that, especially if I ate it too fast. I would be sweating like a stuffed pig. I

have not been having too much sherbert or lemonade or other sugary drinks lately so I havent gotten it lately. Another weird thing is if I eat 1 bite too much my nose starts running. The same thing happens to my sister who has had the bypass. My biggest problem is constipation. It seems like no matter how much fruit, vegetables I eat or water I drink it;s become an annoying problem. I am bad about taking the fiber supplements. I do rely on laxatives lately and I'm afraid I am going to become laxative dependent.

Thanks for your reply, Loretta

What stomach surgery patients experience isn't technically dumping. Dumping has to do with the pylorus valve at the bottom of your stomach. With bypass folks their valve is totally stapled off and bypassed. With sleeved folks we sometimes have a side effect of stomach surgery, it can happen with any stomach surgery. It's a spastic colon but the results are the same as dumping. Our pylorus valve is not touched in any way during surgery. IOW, it feels the same. ;o) It usually only lasts a few months at best.

The runny nose is a soft stop, that happens in all WLS folks, we just need to learn the soft stop. For some it is a runny nose, for me it is a hiccup. For others it is different. This is a desired effect because we are not traditionally known for knowing when to stop eating. A soft stop tells you that you are done, a hard stop is usually vomiting and that tells you that you went too far by ignoring your soft stop.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Loretta <lorettaj1951@...> wrote: