RemedySpot.com

lap band vs. sleeve

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

I am sure everyone will be happy to give you there thoughts about this. You just have to do some reading and then ask some questions. My first choice I thought was the lap band. Then the more I read and the more I learned there was a lot of after care involved. I have a friend that I worked with who had the lap band and Dr. Aceves had done it. So you need to know if that is what you want and if there is a doctor in your area that will do the fill and unfill of the lap band. They place a port under your skin that they insert a needle into to fill it as needed and if needed they will unfill it. I hear pros and cons for the lap band, but I believe it is a personal choice. It was way more work and more than I wanted to always be doing. My friend now says she wished she would have don the sleeve.

I then started looking at the sleeve and felt it was the one that I could live with. No after care. Once it is done it is done. They remove a large part of your stomach and create a tube like stomach that works pretty darn good--I love what I have. You have a limited stomach therefore you eat a lot less. The cost is a little more, but I felt I was worth the extra cost. Nina is wonderful at Dr. Aceves's web site to ask all kinds of questions and so are a lot of people on this web site. She is fast with her reply's also. One of the nice things is that they remove the part of your stomach that has the hormones that tell you that you are hungry. So I NEVER feel hungry. We do deal with what we call head hunger. It is breakfast or the clock says so, so I should be eating--not always tree. You have to be willing to make the commitment that you will make the effort to put healthy food in your small stomach--now don't think we are all Saints, because we all have had a little taste of a treat, but we don't have the need to eat the whole thing like in the past. You also have to know that exercise is going to be a part of your weight loss too. I feel that it is wise to talk to your own doctor and see if they are will be willing to take care of you for any needs you may have when you get home. Not that you will need to do this, but it is nice to be prepared.

Now the ugly that you wanted to know. They only things I have experienced is I am constipated and for me the thing that works best is taking Bebefiber with my food or a drink. Lots of people are more than willing to tell you how they resolve this for themselves too. The hardest part is the 1st month because you do 10 days of clear liquids, 10 days of mixed liquids, and 10 days of mushy foods. You have to learn to rethink or relearn eating again. Small tiny bites, and lots of chewing. I think they said chew every bite 30 times. Soooooooooooooo many of us just inhaled our food or gulped it and didn't even taste what we were eating. Your head will have a whole different feeling and attitude about eating and food. When someone told me this I thought NO not me. I only wished I could bottle this feeling up and sell it, because it is wonderful and I would be rich.

So those are just my feelings and where I have been. I had this done on Oct 21, 2008 and I have NO regrets. I am down 32 pounds now. Listen to everyone and make the choice that is going to be best for you. Remember this is all about you and NO one else. You will never have any regrets if you do this. It isn't a miracle cure, it is a tool to allow you to be healthy and get rid of the excess weight you are dragging around with you.

Always,

Suzanne

In a message dated 12/8/2008 12:08:45 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, susankirby65@... writes:

Hi, I am curious as to opinions regarding the lapband and the gastric sleeve. I would love to hear from both sides and to be able to compare weighloss between the two. I am interested hearing: the good, the bad and the ugly...lol.Thanks in advance for your time. Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Hi, I am curious as to opinions regarding the lapband and the gastric

sleeve. I would love to hear from both sides and to be able to

compare weighloss between the two. I am interested hearing: the good,

the bad and the ugly...lol.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I had the lapband in May of 2008. My stats are listed at the bottom of this email.

I have had absolutely no difficulty with my band since I had it placed. My pain level was tolerable the day of surgery although I knew I had had surgery. I felt pretty good the day after surgery with very little pain there after. I returned to work at day 5 post-op.

Yes, I have had a couple of PBing (productive burping) episodes, I hear that just about everyone does until they learn the do's and don'ts of the band. It is not a pleasant experience but not too terrible either. I understand it can be damaging to the band in causing the band to slip if it occurs to frequently or if one vomits a lot.

Of course, I am no expert. This is my interpretation of what I understand about the band.

My life goes on as it did pre-banding without my hunger ruling my life. I do feel hunger now more than I did in the past 7 months but I've only had 1 fill and am in need of another.

All that said, with only one fill, the amounts of food I am able to eat is tremendously less than what I ate pre-banding.

I chose lapband for two reasons. The first being, not being able to get my head around removing a significant part of my stomach. The second was financial, I am a single mother with limited income and could not imagine coming up with the added 2000.00 that the sleeve cost.

Finally, because I live in Northern San Diego County, I was not worried about aftercare. I knew that I would return to Mexicali and to Dr. Aceves' team for any fills or any problems.

It's only been 7 months but I'd do it again in an instant. I have hope now where there once was none. I feel better than I have in the past 6-7 years and know I will continue to feel better as long as I follow Dr. Aceves post-op guidence.

No, I'm not a perfect bandster. I have had pie during Thanksgiving week and other things that are not considered 'diet foods' but the difference is in the quantity of all the food that I eat.

I get 'full' on much much less now which makes losing weight possible and tolerable.Good luck with your decision.

a

DOB May 9th,2008

(365) 345/291/170

In need of fill # 2

From: susankirby65 <susankirby65@...>Subject: lap band vs. sleeve Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 7:51 PM

Hi, I am curious as to opinions regarding the lapband and the gastric sleeve. I would love to hear from both sides and to be able to compare weighloss between the two. I am interested hearing: the good, the bad and the ugly...lol.Thanks in advance for your time.

Its interesting how I hear about this PB(ing), I'm assuming that everyone is refering to vomiting back up into thier mouths after eating too much? I have NEVER done this. I haven't puked once since the surgery...even in the hospital I never puked. When I have over eaten I get a really tight chest feeling that lasts for about a minute. I burp when I'm full and if I feel like I'm too full and I still take a bite of food anyways, I enjoy the taste of it in my mouth and then I spit it out, or feed it to the dog...she has loved the fact that I got the sleeve!

Everyone has a diferent body....I don't feel a lot of constriction. With the sleeve I basically know exactly how much I can eat. Both of my friends who had the band said that they go through ebbs and flows of being able to eat and then not being able to eat...But they love thier bands. The only reason I didn't get a band is becasue of the maintence. I don't want to have to fly down to mexico over and over. I have a really busy schedule and I like the consistency of knowing that my stomach will basically remain the same size (i'm not downing on the band).

Much love, Helena

From: susankirby65 <susankirby65>Subject: [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] lap band vs. sleeve @groups. comDate: Monday, December 8, 2008, 7:51 PM

Hi, I am curious as to opinions regarding the lapband and the gastric sleeve. I would love to hear from both sides and to be able to compare weighloss between the two. I am interested hearing: the good, the bad and the ugly...lol.Thanks in advance for your time.

• 3 months later...
Guest guest

I've had a band and now I have a sleeve.  I would never get another band.  I do not believe they are going to last forever.As for drastic, the things that can happen (long term) with banding are 10x more than a sleeve.  A sleeve is easier, hands down.  I wish the long term stats on the sleeve and band would have been out when I was banded, I would have gotten a sleeve the first time around.  But there were no long term US band or sleeve stats when I was banded.  The sleeve offers faster weight loss, better weight loss long term, fewer long term complications, no Ghrelin (hunger causing hormone), but most of all it is SOOOO much easier than banding.  With bands you have a lifetime of fills and unfills.  With a sleeve you have no aftercare, no sweet spot, no getting stuck and such.

How much weight do you have to lose?On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM, sharonnkat <sharonnkat@...> wrote:

Hello. I'm going in on April 24th for my lap band and I'm very excited.

Have noticed that more and more folks are trading in their lap bands for a sleeve.

I am aware of the differences, but would be interested in knowing some of the reasons people traded in the lap band for the sleeve.

Was the lap band not working for you? Did you have problems? Was some of the restrictions that you had to have not working for you? etc?

Just curious. I am thinking that the sleeve would be a bit too drastic for me.

Interested in hearing the opinions of others. Thanks!!

Guest guest

Hi Sharon,

I started with the sleeve--so this opinion is just from a person who has only had the sleeve. From what some many have said they had a lot of trouble with the band, and restrictions and fills and unfills--so I didn't want to go there. When you say a the sleeve is a bit too drastic for you--do you ever want to go back to being fat and dealing with that battle again? And NO one know what that band will do in the inside of your body in 10 or 15 years. Why would you ever want to have it taken out (the band) and if you do what are you going to do to control your eating and the food you are putting into your body?

For me the Sleeve was permanent and it was something that would allow me to use for the rest of my life in a healthy way. Just my thoughts and I am sure many other people have their own opinions. I also have NO AFTER maintenance with the sleeve, once you have it, and take care of yourself it is yours for the rest of your life. No more YO, YOING lose the weight keep it off and be happy.

Hugs, and I will see you in Mexicali when I am there with Annette.

Suzanne

In a message dated 04/05/09 11:12:50 Pacific Daylight Time, sharonnkat@... writes:

Hello. I'm going in on April 24th for my lap band and I'm very excited.Have noticed that more and more folks are trading in their lap bands for a sleeve.I am aware of the differences, but would be interested in knowing some of the reasons people traded in the lap band for the sleeve.Was the lap band not working for you? Did you have problems? Was some of the restrictions that you had to have not working for you? etc?Just curious. I am thinking that the sleeve would be a bit too drastic for me.Interested in hearing the opinions of others. Thanks!!

Guest guest

I started with a sleeve, but as far as being too drastic just think that through. You are having weight loss surgery for a reason that in it's self is drastic. You have obviously made up your mind enough is enough and you are making a life change. my advice would be GO FOR IT!! I love my sleeve....Sleeved on March 10 2008 and am down166 lbs. best decision I have ever made for my self! good luck with your decision!Marie Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

From: sharonnkat <sharonnkat@...>Subject: Lap Band vs. Sleeve Date: Sunday, April 5, 2009, 12:20 AM

Hello. I'm going in on April 24th for my lap band and I'm very excited.Have noticed that more and more folks are trading in their lap bands for a sleeve.I am aware of the differences, but would be interested in knowing some of the reasons people traded in the lap band for the sleeve.Was the lap band not working for you? Did you have problems? Was some of the restrictions that you had to have not working for you? etc?Just curious. I am thinking that the sleeve would be a bit too drastic for me.Interested in hearing the opinions of others. Thanks!!

Guest guest

Hey,

I know what you mean. I was the same way. I even talked to Dr. Aceves about this the day of surgery. I almost changed my mind.

I now wish I had. I was so afraid that my mind wouldn't be able to adjust to the new ways and that I'd go crazy or something. I wanted to know that if I decided to go back to "normal" ...I could.

I didn't know if I could handle eating like this the rest of my life. I can. I have. I get frustrated with the tight / loose band feeling, scheduling fills, etc.

I was scared for them to "cut" me. I have lost 50 - 60 pounds so far. I've been banded for 5 months w/ restriction. Had to have an unfill due to stomach virus / acid / reflux. Went 3 months partial unfilled and stayed the same wt. following band rules. Got a fill 2 months ago. Have lost about 10 more pounds. 50 + 10 more.

This is only a decision you can make. I'd be happy to talk to you more about my experience if you want. email me: burson.carrie@...

Burson

Pampered Chef

Independent Consultant

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/carrieb

From: sharonnkat <sharonnkat@...> Sent: Saturday, April 4, 2009 11:20:46 PMSubject: Lap Band vs. Sleeve

Guest guest

Sharon:

I originally wanted to get the lap band but many of my friends who had gotten the lap band had port issues (the port not functioning properly, them being allergic to the port) fill issues (not having a proper doctor to find and fill the port, plus it was expensive every time they went to get the fill) and ultimately, four out of my six friends had the band unfilled or removed because of the personal issues they had with it. I have one friend now who has the band and already had a stomach tear....and had another band put on....but I don't know how long that will last.

Again, I wasn't aware of the sleeve either until I started researching more about all of the possible weight loss surgeries. When I came across the sleeve, I was excited since it required no maintenance, no fills, no unfills, no port and had better statistics for weight loss than the band (faster, less problematic then the band). It also didn't involve removing or repositioning any of my intestines.

In fact, one of the doctors that is an assistant for Dr. Aceves just got the sleeve a few days ago. The driver who usually drives us also got the sleeve. They did not opt for the band....which I thought was interesting. Both of them preferred the sleeve.

Anyway, I have had NO problems with my sleeve.....I feel totally normal and love my life. I am reminded of my sleeve when I attempt to eat and can only eat a small amount and then my sleeve reminds me that I cannot eat anymore due to a smaller area.

I know others will reply, but those who have had the band removed and the sleeve instead are very happy and I am sure they will tell you why!

Good luck!

Gail

From: sharonnkat <sharonnkat@...>Subject: Lap Band vs. Sleeve Date: Saturday, April 4, 2009, 9:20 PM

Guest guest

The lap band works the way the say it does. BUT for me, getting fills was too

difficult--the nearest doc raised his price to over $1000 dollars and the $200

fills are in Texas and I live in AR. That is a long drive, means time off from

work and Houston is one very long drive should the fill be a bit too much.

Traveling when one cannot swallow one's own spit is not an attractive

probability. One bad case of something stuck could easily have landed me in

that predicament. With the sleeve--once I heal all is a done deal. I can just

get on with life without wondering if I am going to be overfilled, under-filled,

sliming................? I wish the sleeve had been a choice when I got my band

but it wasn't so I did not make a poor decision but I have now improved on that

one.

gloria

sleeved 3/24/09

>

>

> Hello. I'm going in on April 24th for my lap band and I'm very excited.

>

> Have noticed that more and more folks are trading in their lap bands for a

sleeve.

>

> I am aware of the differences, but would be interested in knowing some of the

reasons people traded in the lap band for the sleeve.

>

> Was the lap band not working for you? Did you have problems? Was some of the

restrictions that you had to have not working for you? etc?

>

> Just curious. I am thinking that the sleeve would be a bit too drastic for

me.

>

> Interested in hearing the opinions of others. Thanks!!

>

Guest guest

> >

> >

> > Hello. I'm going in on April 24th for my lap band and I'm very excited.

> >

> > Have noticed that more and more folks are trading in their lap bands for a

sleeve.

> >

> > I am aware of the differences, but would be interested in knowing some of

the reasons people traded in the lap band for the sleeve.

> >

> > Was the lap band not working for you? Did you have problems? Was some of

the restrictions that you had to have not working for you? etc?

> >

> > Just curious. I am thinking that the sleeve would be a bit too drastic for

me.

> >

> > Interested in hearing the opinions of others. Thanks!!

> >

>

Hi there

I was worried about it being to drastic as well, however all that happens is

your stomach is made smaller. It is less drastic than diabetes, heart disease,

high blood pressure and strokes.

I got my sleeve April 27th about 2 weeks ago. I too considered the lap band, but

after much research and talking to people with the band I opted for the sleeve.

I know people who have trouble with the ports, shifting of the band, getting to

much saline or not enough, needing unfills if they get sick.Most people I know

would have rather had the sleeve and are opting to have it removed and then get

the sleeve.

Fills are costly and you have to find a local doctor to do it, and basically

they can charge whatever they want.

And seeing that Dr. Campos opted for the sleeve I think speaks volumes in

itself.

THis was the best decision I have made about my weight ever!!! I would do it

again tomorrow. .I am already down 15 lbs

Kristi

Guest guest

Hi

I had the lapband two years ago and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I only

had one fill, may this is why, but I haven't lost a thing. I am able to eat

what I want to but I don't overeat, I don't have much restriction, maybe a

should be getting filled more often. I was so excited when I had it done, but

know I question why it is not working for me and it is too expensive to keep

going to Mexico to get fills, so I found a doctor here and he is tooooooooo

expensive, like 2000 just for fills for a year!!! They(doctors) don't like to

hear you say you crossed the border, they try to hurt you in your pocket because

they know you went there for the price but the U.S. is too expensive.

>

>

> Hello. I'm going in on April 24th for my lap band and I'm very excited.

>

> Have noticed that more and more folks are trading in their lap bands for a

sleeve.

>

> I am aware of the differences, but would be interested in knowing some of the

reasons people traded in the lap band for the sleeve.

>

> Was the lap band not working for you? Did you have problems? Was some of the

restrictions that you had to have not working for you? etc?

>

> Just curious. I am thinking that the sleeve would be a bit too drastic for

me.

>

> Interested in hearing the opinions of others. Thanks!!

>

Guest guest

When we get restrictive procedures it's because without them we overeat.  If you don't have much restriction it is unlikely you will lose much so get a fill.  Very few people can get one fill in their first 2 years and lose weight.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 4:16 AM, akan2hair <akan2hair@...> wrote:

Hi

I had the lapband two years ago and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I only had one fill, may this is why, but I haven't lost a thing. I am able to eat what I want to but I don't overeat, I don't have much restriction, maybe a should be getting filled more often. I was so excited when I had it done, but know I question why it is not working for me and it is too expensive to keep going to Mexico to get fills, so I found a doctor here and he is tooooooooo expensive, like 2000 just for fills for a year!!! They(doctors) don't like to hear you say you crossed the border, they try to hurt you in your pocket because they know you went there for the price but the U.S. is too expensive.

Guest guest

ok, I am going to start getting them every 4 to 6 weeks. Thanks

From: Bipley <Bipley@...> Sent: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:02:17 AMSubject: Re: Re: Lap Band vs. Sleeve

When we get restrictive procedures it's because without them we overeat. If you don't have much restriction it is unlikely you will lose much so get a fill. Very few people can get one fill in their first 2 years and lose weight.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 4:16 AM, akan2hair <akan2hair (DOT) com> wrote:

HiI had the lapband two years ago and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I only had one fill, may this is why, but I haven't lost a thing. I am able to eat what I want to but I don't overeat, I don't have much restriction, maybe a should be getting filled more often. I was so excited when I had it done, but know I question why it is not working for me and it is too expensive to keep going to Mexico to get fills, so I found a doctor here and he is tooooooooo expensive, like 2000 just for fills for a year!!! They(doctors) don't like to hear you say you crossed the border, they try to hurt you in your pocket because they know you went there for the price but the U.S. is too expensive.

Guest guest

Hi Bilpley. Thank you for your info. To answer your question, I have about 120 to loose. That would be perfect. Still going in for the band. That is what i feel comfortable with for now. I live in Southern California, so fills would not be a problem in returning to Mexicali.   Sent from Sharon L's iPhoneOn Apr 5, 2009, at 11:27 AM, Bipley <Bipley@...> wrote:

I've had a band and now I have a sleeve.  I would never get another band.  I do not believe they are going to last forever.As for drastic, the things that can happen (long term) with banding are 10x more than a sleeve.  A sleeve is easier, hands down.  I wish the long term stats on the sleeve and band would have been out when I was banded, I would have gotten a sleeve the first time around.  But there were no long term US band or sleeve stats when I was banded.  The sleeve offers faster weight loss, better weight loss long term, fewer long term complications, no Ghrelin (hunger causing hormone), but most of all it is SOOOO much easier than banding.  With bands you have a lifetime of fills and unfills.  With a sleeve you have no aftercare, no sweet spot, no getting stuck and such.

How much weight do you have to lose?On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:20 PM, sharonnkat <sharonnkat > wrote:

Hello. I'm going in on April 24th for my lap band and I'm very excited.

Have noticed that more and more folks are trading in their lap bands for a sleeve.

I am aware of the differences, but would be interested in knowing some of the reasons people traded in the lap band for the sleeve.

Was the lap band not working for you? Did you have problems? Was some of the restrictions that you had to have not working for you? etc?

Just curious. I am thinking that the sleeve would be a bit too drastic for me.

Interested in hearing the opinions of others. Thanks!!