RemedySpot.com

Re: Hi Everyone I am new here And Look forward to sharing with you all!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Fran...I have to be really brutally honest here.We don't get fat from not eating. It takes calories to get fat, lots of them. Much as it seems like it we don't absorb calories from the air, we eat them. One does not get to a 50'ish BMI from eating salad and coffee or eating just enough calories to survive. The calories are coming from somewhere.

Now, if you are not eating enough food and you believe this is why you are getting bigger, how is restricting MORE calories and consuming less food going to help you? You claim you are not eating enough food and that is why you are getting bigger yet you are wanting a surgical procedure to cut your calories down even more. This makes no sense.

I think if you talk to any of the old timers at goal you will find that as they look over their weight loss journey one of the hardest issues is getting down and dirty honest with yourself. You don't have to be honest with me, the folks posting here, or your family... you just don't have to. But if you want to lose weight and do well you are going to have to start being honest with yourself or you are just wasting your time and your doctor's time.

You aren't going to be a size 4 unless that is what you want. We don't get surgery and just sit on the couch and lose weight. It doesn't work that way. Quite frankly, you have to bust your arse to lose weight and especially the closer you get to goal. You have to cut your white carbs down, (sugar, flour, rice, pasta, potatoes) and get that body out there and move it. Lots and lots of exercise.

A couple of months ago there was another person posting just as you but on another board. She was banded and wanting bypass because she wasn't losing. She had gained 50#. She claimed she was eating 600 calories a day and doing hard cardio an hour a day. I know better than that,the body just doesn't work that way. Slowly the truth started coming out. She was not doing the band basics like CHEWING before swallowing so although she was eating a ton of food she estimated that she was only absorbing about 600 calories a day because she barfed the rest of her food. Her " hard cardio " consisted of her job. She was a cashier at a grocery store and she stood for several hours daily instead of sitting. That's not hard cardio.

She finally started getting honest with herself and realized she was eating a ton of calories and that is why she gained 50# in the last year. She started reading and learning about exercise and learned what hard cardio really is. She began losing and losing well.

We all have to get down and dirty honest with ourselves and you have to as well if you want to succeed in weight loss.Yes, I was originally banded in 2006 and I wear a size 4. If it's not great for you, kewl beans. But that doesn't mean it isn't great for others. After I started losing weight I realized I was pretty darn small boned under all that fat. For me a size 4/6 is great, I look better than I have in years and amazingly, I don't look... how did you write it? Sick, twiggy, a death sentence, or a dying barbie doll. One thing I think you'll find is that when you get down to obese (from previously being morbidly obese) people think it's time to quit. It's not, obese is still obese. Due to a serious obesity problem in this country people don't recognize a healthy weight anymore. A healthy BMI is between 18.5 - 24.9, my BMI is 20. It's okay to be a healthy weight. ;o) A healthy weight is not sick, twiggy, death sentence, or a dying barbie doll. It's healthy.

In the end we all have to do what is right for us.Non invasive banding... nope, that's not for me and besides it most certainly IS invasive as your body doesn't absorb the band. ;o) They still have to make incisions. One or two are in your abdominal area and the other is through your vagina. I don't want vaginal banding, I don't want vaginal WLS of any type. I want it the old fashioned way, through my abdomen. ;o) The risk for infection, perforation, and complications are greater for vaginal banding. Some prefer it, I don't.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 6:50 AM, mikesgirl105 <mikesgirl105@...> wrote:

Hi All:

I joined this group a month or 2 ago and have just been reading

emails and researching. I have been researching for a long time now.

I was planning on getting the surgery for the Lap-Band but things

didnt go as I planned and prayerd for as my insurance didnt cover any

part of it. I am now on Medicade and the suregery will be covered.

ooooo for that part. I am still checking to see if it will be

covered for Mexico but I am having trouble doing that. I live in

texas so there are plenty of drs that do the surgery here also.

I have an appointment with a Dr here that does the surgery completely

non invasive. So that is very appealing to me. I am 41 years old and

have been heavy all my life. I am not a large eater and I dont over

eat. I really survive on Coffee and salads. Yet diets fail for me

because I cannot consume enough of calories to lose weight. And I

have tried them all countless times alone and with friends. They lose

the weight and I stay the same. Well, Im tired of that life and

disappointment. I have young kids and If I dont take care of myself

now im not going to be walking around to be with them. No I am not

600 pounds but I was in a car wreck 8 years ago and received massive

neck, back and spinal cord injuries by the grace of God and great

surgeons I am walking. If I Continue to stay at the weight i am I

wont be walking in a few years because my spine cannot support my

weight. Unfortunately my old insurance company and employer didnt

care about this. I am already disabled I dont want to spend the next

20 or 30 years in a wheel chair helpless and paralyzed. I was there

already its not fun for anyone.

I have read alot of posts on this site some helpful some worry some

to me. As right now i am 290 pounds and a size 24. And I dont want to

be a size 4 at any time in my life. Its not who i am and not what I

want to be. So my biggest fear with the surgery is will I get to thin

where I look sick and I have lost every part of me that I love and

everyone else loves about me. I know the amount of weight loss goes n

how the band is adjuted. But Still I have questions over and over

again. I want this surgery and I want a new life. However, I dont

want to be twiggy either. When do we make the decision that enough is

enough. One woman posted lately she was banded in 2006 and she is now

a size 4. I never want to be a size 4 and i dont want to see myself

as a size 4. It might be great for her, and I pray for her happiness,

for me it would be like a death sentenance. Im to small framed to be

that thin. Im short, and small boned I woul dlike like a sick dying

barbie doll. And that isnt who I am. Is there a way for me to get to

a size 10 or 12 and stop. Say I am where I am happy now I dont want

to lose more. What do I do to slow down the weight loss.

Like I stated earlier in this email. I am not a large eater and I

dont over eat. I eat enough food to survive. So what do I do first.

Thank for you help and concern guys. Any and all information you can

give me is appreciated.

Fran

Fran:

It seems after the car accident that you have had a hard time. That is difficult to recover from and I am sure painful.

I am glad that you are on the right track and seeking help! You will need to decide if the surgery type is going to work for you. There are several different types of surgery and if your medical provider is going to pay for it, search out the best one for you and your life style. There are some weight loss surgeries that require more work and maintenance, so that is one thing you may want to think about if you are limited in time and resources. Your children need you and need positive role modeling for their futures. You are going to feel so much better getting the weight off and being able to participate in their lives more.

I have children too and just feel so much better being able to walk different places and not worry about parking my car too far away. I can park further away and walk and don't feel tired or in pain. You might not have that luxury since you were in an accident but getting the weight off might lessen the pain and your body may be able to heal more.

As for worrying about being too thin, I don't think that is an issue for right now. The issue is to get your life heading in the right direction and then your type of surgery can help to control the foods that you are eating. Being too thin may happen to a few people, but not too many really struggle with being too thin - plus that is an easier fix than losing by increasing the calories. Your first goal is to get the weight loss started and not focusing on unrealistic fears. Some people look and feel better at a thinner weight. Others may not and that is their personal goals and expectations. We don't all need to be a size 4, 6, or 8 to feel sexy or beautiful! It is totally up to you!

Getting the surgery and the positive effects after, still require a concerted effort to monitor the foods that you are ingesting and how and when they are ingested since different times of the day affect different people. You will still need to monitor what you eat and I know after losing some pounds myself that I was able to eat a lot more than I was willing to concede to prior to surgery. Losing weight before my sleeve surgery was so difficult. I would exist on salads and coffee and it took me 1-1/2 years to lose 20 lbs. With the sleeve, I have lost 55+ in 5-1/2 months. Even though there are times that I wish the weight would come off faster, I am so happy to have lost that much! I feel so much better!

Please continue to ask questions and research the surgery so that you can get healthy!

Warmly,

Gail

From: mikesgirl105 <mikesgirl105@...>Subject: Hi Everyone I am new here And Look forward to sharing with you all! Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 5:50 AM

Hi All:I joined this group a month or 2 ago and have just been reading emails and researching. I have been researching for a long time now. I was planning on getting the surgery for the Lap-Band but things didnt go as I planned and prayerd for as my insurance didnt cover any part of it. I am now on Medicade and the suregery will be covered. ooooo for that part. I am still checking to see if it will be covered for Mexico but I am having trouble doing that. I live in texas so there are plenty of drs that do the surgery here also. I have an appointment with a Dr here that does the surgery completely non invasive. So that is very appealing to me. I am 41 years old and have been heavy all my life. I am not a large eater and I dont over eat. I really survive on Coffee and salads. Yet diets fail for me because I cannot consume enough of calories to lose weight. And I have tried them all

countless times alone and with friends. They lose the weight and I stay the same. Well, Im tired of that life and disappointment. I have young kids and If I dont take care of myself now im not going to be walking around to be with them. No I am not 600 pounds but I was in a car wreck 8 years ago and received massive neck, back and spinal cord injuries by the grace of God and great surgeons I am walking. If I Continue to stay at the weight i am I wont be walking in a few years because my spine cannot support my weight. Unfortunately my old insurance company and employer didnt care about this. I am already disabled I dont want to spend the next 20 or 30 years in a wheel chair helpless and paralyzed. I was there already its not fun for anyone.I have read alot of posts on this site some helpful some worry some to me. As right now i am 290 pounds and a size 24. And I dont want to be a size 4 at any

time in my life. Its not who i am and not what I want to be. So my biggest fear with the surgery is will I get to thin where I look sick and I have lost every part of me that I love and everyone else loves about me. I know the amount of weight loss goes n how the band is adjuted. But Still I have questions over and over again. I want this surgery and I want a new life. However, I dont want to be twiggy either. When do we make the decision that enough is enough. One woman posted lately she was banded in 2006 and she is now a size 4. I never want to be a size 4 and i dont want to see myself as a size 4. It might be great for her, and I pray for her happiness, for me it would be like a death sentenance. Im to small framed to be that thin. Im short, and small boned I woul dlike like a sick dying barbie doll. And that isnt who I am. Is there a way for me to get to a size 10 or 12 and stop. Say I am where I

am happy now I dont want to lose more. What do I do to slow down the weight loss.Like I stated earlier in this email. I am not a large eater and I dont over eat. I eat enough food to survive. So what do I do first.Thank for you help and concern guys. Any and all information you can give me is appreciated.Fran

Hi

And thank you for being brutally honest there is nothing at all wrong with that. I am a very poor eater i was as a child and I am as an adult. I dont eat normally and I dont over eat, much to your belief I dont eat a portion of what most heavy overweight people eat. A small salad or a small burger without bread is more than enough for me for dinner and most of the time it will be all I eat all day long. Super sizing a meal at a fast food restaurant isnt me I cannot consume that amount of food.

When I was 12 years old i had a drastic weight loss and I went down to a size 6 and I looked horrible and sick. So I well know what I look like at that size and weight. And its not for me. It may be wonderful for you or someone else. And I applaude you on your reaching your goal and all your hard work. And I support you. However to much weight loss for me isnt healthy any longer. That was my main question in the post. Was do we have the choice to stop the weight loss when we are at our goal. Putting me down for not being honest with myself or all of you isnt fair. I am being very honest here sorry im not an A Typical Fat person that over eats and eats constantly. Many of my family members were Heavy, including my mothers, aunts and cousin. A lot has to do with your family history too. Not just what you eating.

I also happen to live in a state that favors Obeese people. I was heavy when i moved here. So I dont blame the ways of life on it for myself. I live in Texas it get very hot here, everyone drinks constantly, Water, Soda, Ice Teas, protein drinks, energy drinks, there are drive up windows for everything including flu shots here. No one walks around everyone drives. I was born and raised in New Jersey, life was totally different there we walked, took public transportation. I did for work every day for 18 years. And I felt better then than i ever do now and im the same weight. However I had had a broken neck and back when i was in new jersey and working in new york city. So that has a great amount to do with the problems i have now.

I wasnt putting you down in any way, I think and feel your success is wonderful and I wish you the best. What you think of me on the other hand really isnt important to me. I will do this surgery and I will be as successful as everyone else is. Because i want it and I want to be well and healthy. You want to get down to the nitty gritty here. Yesterday I ate a broiled chicken leg and thigh skin removed before cooking, and a small salad with lemon and olive oil on it. And 2 glasses of water all day till last night when i had a granola bar. What did you eat all day long. It is 10:48 am in texas right now I have not eaten since yesterday and im, not hungry yet. You want to state your brutally honest opinion on this one for me. I wish you could meet me and see what I eat you would maybe believe me then.

So thanks for your opinion i appreciate it, however, my life is no more important now that i have your honest opinion. And I still dont have my questions answered from people that know that best.

Fran

Hi All:I joined this group a month or 2 ago and have just been reading emails and researching. I have been researching for a long time now. I was planning on getting the surgery for the Lap-Band but things didnt go as I planned and prayerd for as my insurance didnt cover any part of it. I am now on Medicade and the suregery will be covered. ooooo for that part. I am still checking to see if it will be covered for Mexico but I am having trouble doing that. I live in texas so there are plenty of drs that do the surgery here also. I have an appointment with a Dr here that does the surgery completely non invasive. So that is very appealing to me. I am 41 years old and have been heavy all my life. I am not a large eater and I dont over eat. I really survive on Coffee and salads. Yet diets fail for me because I cannot consume enough of calories to lose weight. And I have tried them all

countless times alone and with friends. They lose the weight and I stay the same. Well, Im tired of that life and disappointment. I have young kids and If I dont take care of myself now im not going to be walking around to be with them. No I am not 600 pounds but I was in a car wreck 8 years ago and received massive neck, back and spinal cord injuries by the grace of God and great surgeons I am walking. If I Continue to stay at the weight i am I wont be walking in a few years because my spine cannot support my weight. Unfortunately my old insurance company and employer didnt care about this. I am already disabled I dont want to spend the next 20 or 30 years in a wheel chair helpless and paralyzed. I was there already its not fun for anyone.I have read alot of posts on this site some helpful some worry some to me. As right now i am 290 pounds and a size 24. And I dont want to be a size 4 at any

time in my life. Its not who i am and not what I want to be. So my biggest fear with the surgery is will I get to thin where I look sick and I have lost every part of me that I love and everyone else loves about me. I know the amount of weight loss goes n how the band is adjuted. But Still I have questions over and over again. I want this surgery and I want a new life. However, I dont want to be twiggy either. When do we make the decision that enough is enough. One woman posted lately she was banded in 2006 and she is now a size 4. I never want to be a size 4 and i dont want to see myself as a size 4. It might be great for her, and I pray for her happiness, for me it would be like a death sentenance. Im to small framed to be that thin. Im short, and small boned I woul dlike like a sick dying barbie doll. And that isnt who I am. Is there a way for me to get to a size 10 or 12 and stop. Say I am where I

am happy now I dont want to lose more. What do I do to slow down the weight loss.Like I stated earlier in this email. I am not a large eater and I dont over eat. I eat enough food to survive. So what do I do first.Thank for you help and concern guys. Any and all information you can give me is appreciated.Fran

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi All:

>

> I joined this group a month or 2 ago and have just been reading

> emails and researching. I have been researching for a long time

now.

> I was planning on getting the surgery for the Lap-Band but things

> didnt go as I planned and prayerd for as my insurance didnt cover

any

> part of it. I am now on Medicade and the suregery will be covered.

> ooooo for that part. I am still checking to see if it will be

> covered for Mexico but I am having trouble doing that. I live in

> texas so there are plenty of drs that do the surgery here also.

>

> I have an appointment with a Dr here that does the surgery

completely

> non invasive. So that is very appealing to me. I am 41 years old

and

> have been heavy all my life. I am not a large eater and I dont over

> eat. I really survive on Coffee and salads. Yet diets fail for me

> because I cannot consume enough of calories to lose weight. And I

> have tried them all countless times alone and with friends. They

lose

> the weight and I stay the same. Well, Im tired of that life and

> disappointment. I have young kids and If I dont take care of myself

> now im not going to be walking around to be with them. No I am not

> 600 pounds but I was in a car wreck 8 years ago and received

massive

> neck, back and spinal cord injuries by the grace of God and great

> surgeons I am walking. If I Continue to stay at the weight i am I

> wont be walking in a few years because my spine cannot support my

> weight. Unfortunately my old insurance company and employer didnt

> care about this. I am already disabled I dont want to spend the

next

> 20 or 30 years in a wheel chair helpless and paralyzed. I was there

> already its not fun for anyone.

>

> I have read alot of posts on this site some helpful some worry some

> to me. As right now i am 290 pounds and a size 24. And I dont want

to

> be a size 4 at any time in my life. Its not who i am and not what I

> want to be. So my biggest fear with the surgery is will I get to

thin

> where I look sick and I have lost every part of me that I love and

> everyone else loves about me. I know the amount of weight loss goes

n

> how the band is adjuted. But Still I have questions over and over

> again. I want this surgery and I want a new life. However, I dont

> want to be twiggy either. When do we make the decision that enough

is

> enough. One woman posted lately she was banded in 2006 and she is

now

> a size 4. I never want to be a size 4 and i dont want to see myself

> as a size 4. It might be great for her, and I pray for her

happiness,

> for me it would be like a death sentenance. Im to small framed to

be

> that thin. Im short, and small boned I woul dlike like a sick dying

> barbie doll. And that isnt who I am. Is there a way for me to get

to

> a size 10 or 12 and stop. Say I am where I am happy now I dont want

> to lose more. What do I do to slow down the weight loss.

>

> Like I stated earlier in this email. I am not a large eater and I

> dont over eat. I eat enough food to survive. So what do I do first.

>

> Thank for you help and concern guys. Any and all information you

can

> give me is appreciated.

>

> Fran

>

Fran,I envy your self control, but I think that you need to eat more frequently to give you body the fuel that it needs to function properly. Just my opinion.As to answer your questions. When you have the surgery, and you loose down to the weight or size you want to be, you can add calories to what you are eating by eating higher calorie foods. That is how to stop the weight loss. But you are going to have to eat.

I wish you the best of success and I hope that this might have answered your questionsRegardsOn Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM, classpassion <classpassion@...> wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi All:

>

now.

any

>

completely

and

lose

massive

next

>

to

thin

n

is

now

happiness,

be

to

>

>

can

>

> Fran

>

Hi Fran

I don’t post very often as my life is a stressed-out wreck

right now and I’m studying for a final exam tomorrow…. But, I

wanted to add my “two cents worth” to your questions. And,

for the record, I was banded on 9/28/08. It has not been an easy journey-

I have had to really learn the hard way that the band is a tool, not a miracle

magic wand. My personal opinion about my own situation before

banding is that I screwed up my metabolism with constant yo-yo dieting,

etc. I’m not sure there’s any medical back up for that, but

it sure seemed like I got to the point where even when I ate very little, I did

not lose weight. Maybe my body went into “starvation mode” and

stored every calorie as fat. I found that when I would occasionally add some

calories, I would jump start my weight loss to a certain degree, but, as most

of us know, it never lasted for long.

On the other hand, I would certainly get at least one doctor’s

opinion on the current state of your health- including blood work. There

MAY be an underlying issue that should be dealt with before you even consider

WLS. And, there is certainly no harm in explaining your situation to Dr.

Aceves and getting his professional opinion as well. I think it’s a

good policy to always be as well educated as possible before making any big

decision. If you have any questions about banding that I might be able to

help you with, please feel free to ask. There are also a ton of

sleevesters (well, you guys, not really a TON, ok?) lol…. That

can relate their experiences as well.

Good luck with your decision!

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of classpassion

Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 9:58 AM

Subject: Re: Hi Everyone I am new here And Look

forward to sharing with you all!

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi All:

>

now.

any

>

completely

and

lose

massive

next

>

to

thin

n

is

now

happiness,

be

to

>

>

can

>

> Fran

>

Fran....I am sorry that you feel I was putting you down, that was not my intent. We ALL have realities we have to face when making such a life changing decision.The reality here does not change. If you are eating small quantities of food and not losing weight because you aren't eating enough, how is a restrictive procedure going to help you? You are considering restricting the amount of food you can eat while telling us that you don't eat enough and that is why you are obese.

I'm not clear on how this surgery will help you, would you clarify?Thanks.On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:51 AM, <mikesgirl105@...> wrote:

Hi

And thank you for being brutally honest there is nothing at all wrong with that. I am a very poor eater i was as a child and I am as an adult. I dont eat normally and I dont over eat, much to your belief I dont eat a portion of what most heavy overweight people eat. A small salad or a small burger without bread is more than enough for me for dinner and most of the time it will be all I eat all day long. Super sizing a meal at a fast food restaurant isnt me I cannot consume that amount of food.

When I was 12 years old i had a drastic weight loss and I went down to a size 6 and I looked horrible and sick. So I well know what I look like at that size and weight. And its not for me. It may be wonderful for you or someone else. And I applaude you on your reaching your goal and all your hard work. And I support you. However to much weight loss for me isnt healthy any longer. That was my main question in the post. Was do we have the choice to stop the weight loss when we are at our goal. Putting me down for not being honest with myself or all of you isnt fair. I am being very honest here sorry im not an A Typical Fat person that over eats and eats constantly. Many of my family members were Heavy, including my mothers, aunts and cousin. A lot has to do with your family history too. Not just what you eating.

I also happen to live in a state that favors Obeese people. I was heavy when i moved here. So I dont blame the ways of life on it for myself. I live in Texas it get very hot here, everyone drinks constantly, Water, Soda, Ice Teas, protein drinks, energy drinks, there are drive up windows for everything including flu shots here. No one walks around everyone drives. I was born and raised in New Jersey, life was totally different there we walked, took public transportation. I did for work every day for 18 years. And I felt better then than i ever do now and im the same weight. However I had had a broken neck and back when i was in new jersey and working in new york city. So that has a great amount to do with the problems i have now.

I wasnt putting you down in any way, I think and feel your success is wonderful and I wish you the best. What you think of me on the other hand really isnt important to me. I will do this surgery and I will be as successful as everyone else is. Because i want it and I want to be well and healthy. You want to get down to the nitty gritty here. Yesterday I ate a broiled chicken leg and thigh skin removed before cooking, and a small salad with lemon and olive oil on it. And 2 glasses of water all day till last night when i had a granola bar. What did you eat all day long. It is 10:48 am in texas right now I have not eaten since yesterday and im, not hungry yet. You want to state your brutally honest opinion on this one for me. I wish you could meet me and see what I eat you would maybe believe me then.

So thanks for your opinion i appreciate it, however, my life is no more important now that i have your honest opinion. And I still dont have my questions answered from people that know that best.

Fran

Hi Gail:

Thank you for your concern and honesty, and I mean I truly appreciate it. When I sent the first email, I was curious also. With all the seminars and Drs. I have already talked to an attended no one has ever made clear when is it time to stop losing the weight. I have been a size 4-6 and its not for me. I have a small frame and im small boned therefore I start to look sick with to much weight loss than healthy and I dont want that to happen after I have worked so hard getting healthier.

I have researched this procedure and others for over 2 years now. Im more than ready but sometimes the best place to get answers is from people that have been through it already. I know what im facing from research and drs. I dont know what im facing from others in the same place i am in. The woman that said she reached her goal of a size 4 had done a great job and reached her goal. And Im thrilled for her. But what I wanted to know was when we reach our goal how do we accept that it is enough for us. My goal is about a size 10-12 anything less than that I start to look sick and drawn. I have been there once before in my life and even though i was very young then I still remember what I looked like and felt like. Having a nice little body works for some people my family like something to hold on to.

What she also didnt understand is that I am not a large eater and I dont do the junk food sceen at all. And I dont lose weight. Well not all over weight people are food addicts either sometimes its due to illness, or family history, or other reasons. As a child i can still hear my mother saying to someone and to me i wish she ate the way she looked. Because I never wanted to eat i was never really hungry. I hated going out to dinner with my uncle because i would eat a burger on a plate with lettuce and tomato and no bun. I am italian decent obesity is in my blood line and genes. Being fat isnt always because you over eat. If it was I would be super thin. At a size 4 after surgery she most likely eats better and more than I do. And im thrilled for her success. But I didnt feel it was right for her to tell me i was lying to everyone on this group and to myself by saying i didnt over eat. So I told her

to come for dinner at my house and see what i eat in so many words she would be shocked.

Usually the mother and father fight with the kids at dinner my kids and family fight with the amount i eat. They tell me the birds eat more than i do. Im doing this surgery and looking forward to the hard work to get better and do more with my life and kids, not to look good. I already look good the way i am, however im want the pain to stop and i want to be around walking with my kids. I will keep asking questions and keep trying to get my surgery set in stone. No matter what anyone thinks or feels i know why i want to do this. And I wont change my mind. Thanks for your input Gail I appreciate it.

Fran

From: mikesgirl105 <mikesgirl105>Subject: [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] Hi Everyone I am new here And Look forward to sharing with you all! @groups. comDate: Monday, December 15, 2008, 5:50 AM

Hi Helena:

I have been checked for everything possible. Obesity runs in my family on both sides. And im italian decent and most of us are all heavy. Im constaly cooking and I have a catering business so therefor i spend most of my time cooking. I have never been a big eater not even as a child. As as I just said to someone else in an email. Most times its the parents fighting with the kids to eat dinner. In my house its my kids fighting with me to eat a full meal. I eat a burger without the bun, i never eat chips or junk food. I dont binge eat. I eat sort of healthy just not enough to burn calories. I have tired every diet there is and always failed. Even though I will be eating less after the surgery there is a rountin to follow and a program that will work. My neighbor was teasing me the other day, Thanks giving i baked nonstop for a week, from pies to cheesecakes and sent it over to her for her family to have also. She said wow Fran you must have been

so happy with all that great dessert to eat and my family laughed before i could. They said Fran eat it. She had 5 cookies since she baked we ate it all. I said i dont eat pie, I dont eat laywer cakes and i dont like sweets i never did. She said wow you are strong i could never resist all those sweets they look to good to pass up. I said well see when you cook and bake them after you are done with the amount i make all the time you never eat it your to sick of seeing it all. Im going to do this surgery nothing else has worked so far. It will give me a reason to work out and stay on a plan. And learn to eat the way im supposed to. And I am looking forward to the knowledge and experience.

Thank for caring and for your input. I appreciate it.

Merry Christmas

Fran

From: classpassion <classpassion@...>Subject: Re: Hi Everyone I am new here And Look forward to sharing with you all! Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 5:58 PM

> > > > > > > Hi All:> > I joined this group a

month or 2 ago and have just been reading > emails and researching. I have been researching for a long time now. > I was planning on getting the surgery for the Lap-Band but things > didnt go as I planned and prayerd for as my insurance didnt cover any > part of it. I am now on Medicade and the suregery will be covered. > ooooo for that part. I am still checking to see if it will be > covered for Mexico but I am having trouble doing that. I live in > texas so there are plenty of drs that do the surgery here also. > > I have an appointment with a Dr here that does the surgery completely > non invasive. So that is very appealing to me. I am 41 years old and > have been heavy all my life. I am not a large eater and I dont over > eat. I really survive on Coffee and salads. Yet diets fail for me > because I cannot consume enough of calories to lose

weight. And I > have tried them all countless times alone and with friends. They lose > the weight and I stay the same. Well, Im tired of that life and > disappointment. I have young kids and If I dont take care of myself > now im not going to be walking around to be with them. No I am not > 600 pounds but I was in a car wreck 8 years ago and received massive > neck, back and spinal cord injuries by the grace of God and great > surgeons I am walking. If I Continue to stay at the weight i am I > wont be walking in a few years because my spine cannot support my > weight. Unfortunately my old insurance company and employer didnt > care about this. I am already disabled I dont want to spend the next > 20 or 30 years in a wheel chair helpless and paralyzed. I was there > already its not fun for anyone.> > I have read alot of posts on this site some

helpful some worry some > to me. As right now i am 290 pounds and a size 24. And I dont want to > be a size 4 at any time in my life. Its not who i am and not what I > want to be. So my biggest fear with the surgery is will I get to thin > where I look sick and I have lost every part of me that I love and > everyone else loves about me. I know the amount of weight loss goes n > how the band is adjuted. But Still I have questions over and over > again. I want this surgery and I want a new life. However, I dont > want to be twiggy either. When do we make the decision that enough is > enough. One woman posted lately she was banded in 2006 and she is now > a size 4. I never want to be a size 4 and i dont want to see myself > as a size 4. It might be great for her, and I pray for her happiness, > for me it would be like a death sentenance. Im to small

framed to be > that thin. Im short, and small boned I woul dlike like a sick dying > barbie doll. And that isnt who I am. Is there a way for me to get to > a size 10 or 12 and stop. Say I am where I am happy now I dont want > to lose more. What do I do to slow down the weight loss.> > Like I stated earlier in this email. I am not a large eater and I > dont over eat. I eat enough food to survive. So what do I do first.> > Thank for you help and concern guys. Any and all information you can > give me is appreciated.> > Fran>

Hi Fran,

I've read some of the responses you've gotten and wanted to share

some of my experience with you. I was banded on 9/19/08 and have lost

34 lbs so far. I had my first fill adjustment Thanksgiving week in

Mexicali. I chose the band because I look at it as a tool to help me

gradually lose weight. I've spent the past year retraining myself to

make healthy choices in preparation for WLS. At times my daily eating

habits were like yours and I couldn't seem to lose any weight

although I ate few calories. I'm not a doctor, but I've read that we

need to see our bodies as furnaces that need to be regularly fueled

in order to work as nature intended. When we eat little, we are in

fact starving ourselves which sends a message to our body that

calories are not being consumed so the body holds on to what it has.

It actually keeps us from losing weight. You might want to try eating

small high-protein meals (3 or 4 a day) to retrain your body to burn

fuel more efficiently. This was hard for me to do, because like you I

skipped breakfast and often lunch -- only eating dinner. Your body

also needs 8 cups of fluids a day (water is best) to flush out the

impurities from the kidneys and replenish the body. The post-op diet

I follow now is to eat protein first, then vegetables, leaving

starches for last (if at all). I know it sounds crazy, but your body

needs you to eat in order for you to lose weight.

I chose the band mostly because I wanted a quicker recovery to return

to work. I also had some reservations about having a piece of my

stomach removed in the sleeve procedure. I know it is a more rapid

weight loss than the band, but I am satisfied with losing a bit

slower. I lost most of my weight in the first two months. Now I am

happy to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week. I am 5'6 " and have a medium-to-large

frame and want to be in a size 10-12. This will put my BMI in the

right range as well. One of the nurses at the hospital took my

measurements and went over my weight goal before I left Mexicali and

agreed that my goal was realistic. My focus is on being healthy and

having my mobility back so that I can return to the active life I

once had. If I tried to be a size 4 I'd look like an anorexic

supermodel (smile).

The way the band works is this: during surgery a small amount of

saline in put in the band. The swelling from surgery causes a

restriction to help you lose weight in the beginning. At about 8

weeks after surgery you will have your first fill to the band. Some

people need more than one fill until they find just the right balance

of restriction. From this point on you might need a fill adjustment

annually or whenever you go for several weeks without losing weight.

The saline does evaporate a bit over time and needs to be replaced.

Once you reach your goal weight you go for an " unfill " where the

doctor removes saline from the band, causing your stomach opening to

be larger and allow you to eat more normally. At this point you will

stop losing weight and will have to be mindful not to start gaining

it back. If you start gaining weight, you can get a fill to help you

lose it again.

This is NOT a miracle answer. Although some have lost weight with

little effort, I find it not to be true for me. I have to work very

hard and discipline myself to exercise every day. Start now making

healthy substitutes for favorite foods, cut sugar and salt from your

diet, increase your activity with low-impact exercise(walking,

bicycling, treadmill, swimming, etc.) and gradually move into more

intense activity as you lose weight and build stamina (weights,

cardio, etc.). I don't often post to this group, but I read it nearly

every day and get encouragement from those who share their

experiences. There are many people willing to help you on your

journey with encouragement or a good chastising if you need it!

I wish you all the best on your weight-loss journey.

DOB 9/19/08

310/276/155

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi All:

>

now.

any

>

completely

and

lose

massive

next

>

to

thin

n

is

now

happiness,

be

to

>

>

can

>

> Fran

>

Hi Fran,

Have you had your thyroid checked? Maybe hormones? I don't know

what esle it could be. Hope you find your answer soon.

Deb

>

>

>

> From: mikesgirl105 <mikesgirl105>

> Subject: [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] Hi Everyone I am new here And Look

forward to sharing with you all!

> @groups. com

> Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 5:50 AM

>

>

>

>

> Hi All:

>

now.

any

>

completely

and

> have been heavy all my life. I am not a large eater and I dont

over

lose

> disappointment. I have young kids and If I dont take care of

myself

massive

next

> 20 or 30 years in a wheel chair helpless and paralyzed. I was

there

>

> I have read alot of posts on this site some helpful some worry

some

to

> be a size 4 at any time in my life. Its not who i am and not what

I

thin

> everyone else loves about me. I know the amount of weight loss

goes n

is

now

> a size 4. I never want to be a size 4 and i dont want to see

myself

happiness,

be

> that thin. Im short, and small boned I woul dlike like a sick

dying

to

> a size 10 or 12 and stop. Say I am where I am happy now I dont

want

>

>

can

>

> Fran

>

Fran:

I can certainly understand your concerns and fears. You are very normal in wondering how this all works and what you will end up as. But I really don't think you need to worry about losing too much weight. That is not the normal problems and is more unusual. Some people get to a smaller weight and feel comfortable and they can stop there. You will be able to do that too.

What surgery are you thinking of? I had the sleeve because I have a busy lifestyle and didn't have time for band maintenance, fills, unfills, etc. Some people are more comfortable with that type of surgery, but I chose the sleeve because I didn't care if part of my stomach was taken out. I don't need that much of a stomach and feel so much better after having the surgery. Plus, the way in which they perform the sleeve nowadays, it is not likely that your stomach will stretch out like the old surgeries. I also didn't want something that would take out my intestines or reroute them. I know with malabsorbtion, your nutrient level is less and your body is working harder to get the nutrients that it needs.

So, for me the sleeve was perfect and I feel wonderful. Writing and talking to people on this board will give you a first-hand experience on the pros and cons of both types of surgery's. There are those who have had both the band and sleeve because they originally started out with the band and have now gotten a revision to a sleeve because of problems with the band.

I know getting this type of surgery will really help you to make a new start in life and get yourself healthy. That way, managing your food by journaling and seeing exactly what you eat will really help you.

I also have heard of many people who have food allergies and the inflamation from the food allergies causes reactions that make it hard to lose weight, in addition to the other people who have posted about thyroid etc. So, there may be many factors contributing to not losing weight, but this will be a start a new way to see exactly what may be affecting your body. Also, if you are working with a physician and have been approved, then they may have a nutrition that can help you with meal planning for your body type.

I certainly wish you the best and hope that you continue to research the kind of surgery that you want and that you can let us know how we can help or support you!

Warmly,

Gail

From: mikesgirl105 <mikesgirl105>Subject: [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] Hi Everyone I am new here And Look forward to sharing with you all! @groups. comDate: Monday, December 15, 2008, 5:50 AM

Hi Deb

I have had every thing checked for years now since i was a kid. Im so healthy there its hard to beleive. That is the reason i want this so badly i can maintain a good diet then.

thanks for you input

Fran> > From: mikesgirl105 <mikesgirl105>> Subject: [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] Hi Everyone I am new here And Look forward to sharing with you all!> @groups. com> Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 5:50 AM> > > > > Hi All:> > I joined this group a month or 2 ago and have just been reading > emails and researching. I have been researching for a long time now. > I was planning on getting the surgery for the Lap-Band but things > didnt go as I planned and prayerd for as my insurance didnt cover any > part of it. I am now on Medicade and the suregery will be covered.

> ooooo for that part. I am still checking to see if it will be > covered for Mexico but I am having trouble doing that. I live in > texas so there are plenty of drs that do the surgery here also. > > I have an appointment with a Dr here that does the surgery completely > non invasive. So that is very appealing to me. I am 41 years old and > have been heavy all my life. I am not a large eater and I dont over > eat. I really survive on Coffee and salads. Yet diets fail for me > because I cannot consume enough of calories to lose weight. And I > have tried them all countless times alone and with friends. They lose > the weight and I stay the same. Well, Im tired of that life and > disappointment. I have young kids and If I dont take care of myself > now im not going to be walking around to be with them. No I am not > 600 pounds but I

was in a car wreck 8 years ago and received massive > neck, back and spinal cord injuries by the grace of God and great > surgeons I am walking. If I Continue to stay at the weight i am I > wont be walking in a few years because my spine cannot support my > weight. Unfortunately my old insurance company and employer didnt > care about this. I am already disabled I dont want to spend the next > 20 or 30 years in a wheel chair helpless and paralyzed. I was there > already its not fun for anyone.> > I have read alot of posts on this site some helpful some worry some > to me. As right now i am 290 pounds and a size 24. And I dont want to > be a size 4 at any time in my life. Its not who i am and not what I > want to be. So my biggest fear with the surgery is will I get to thin > where I look sick and I have lost every part of me that I love

and > everyone else loves about me. I know the amount of weight loss goes n > how the band is adjuted. But Still I have questions over and over > again. I want this surgery and I want a new life. However, I dont > want to be twiggy either. When do we make the decision that enough is > enough. One woman posted lately she was banded in 2006 and she is now > a size 4. I never want to be a size 4 and i dont want to see myself > as a size 4. It might be great for her, and I pray for her happiness, > for me it would be like a death sentenance. Im to small framed to be > that thin. Im short, and small boned I woul dlike like a sick dying > barbie doll. And that isnt who I am. Is there a way for me to get to > a size 10 or 12 and stop. Say I am where I am happy now I dont want > to lose more. What do I do to slow down the weight loss.>

> Like I stated earlier in this email. I am not a large eater and I > dont over eat. I eat enough food to survive. So what do I do first.> > Thank for you help and concern guys. Any and all information you can > give me is appreciated.> > Fran>

Hi

Like I have said i have been to many drs and I have talked to many on consultation about the band surgery. If i had it done i would need to be on a strick routine and have to eat. WE have to learn to chew properly and eat a balanced diet. To eat foods that are good for us and that we need to have to lose weight. That is something i dont do at all. I will eat a small boneless chicken breast and nothing else. There is no routine with me. Yes I cook dinner every night but i have a family to take care of like we all do. And by the time im done with them i dont want to eat. I was never a good eater and i always ate small portions and never finished what was on my plate and i was never forced to either. im 40 years old i still hate bread, candy, junk foods i dont see the point to eating them. Im not normal at all.

I wasnt lying to myself or you or the group i was being very honest, I could have lied and said all i did was eat and im out of control i didnt. No one loses weight if they dont eat propery and if you dont consume the right amount of calories you are not going to lose weight either. So its all learning and routine also. Which is hy I feel this will work for me. ?If you dont feel that way im sorry. Im sorry if you thought i was rude in my email back to you. I felt the same way about you to be honest. I wanted information and from what i have been reading from posts on this group i did nothing wrong in asking my question. Personally I think you have had a very successful journey and Im happy you have reached your goal. know it wasnt easy for you or anyone else. But I need to try this for myself and to get well and eating healthy and right for a change. Thanks for you input

Fran

Hi

Fran

Hi

Thanks for your 2 cents worth. I have seen many drs and have had all kids of tests and blood work nothing is wrong with me and there are no underlying problems. Thank god. Like you I have tried many diets and never lose weight due to the fact i dont eat the way i need to. And I need to learn that, we all have over stressed lives and so do I but i feel i can do this and its not ging to be easy. But i can learn to stabilize my lifestyle for myself for a change and not only the ones i love to death. I dont care if l lose 5 pounds a month its more than i have lost on some diets i have tired because i cant consume that much food at one time. This way with the band i can eat small portions and get full and be satisfied. No one seems to see what my goal is yet sooner or later everyone will i guess. Thanks for you concern and input i appreciate it.

Fram

From: <cindysdogpack@...>Subject: RE: Re: Hi Everyone I am new here And Look forward to sharing with you all! Date: Monday, December 15, 2008, 7:21 PM

Hi Fran

I don’t post very often as my life is a stressed-out wreck right now and I’m studying for a final exam tomorrow…. But, I wanted to add my “two cents worth” to your questions. And, for the record, I was banded on 9/28/08. It has not been an easy journey- I have had to really learn the hard way that the band is a tool, not a miracle magic wand. My personal opinion about my own situation before banding is that I screwed up my metabolism with constant yo-yo dieting, etc. I’m not sure there’s any medical back up for that, but it sure seemed like I got to the point where even when I ate very little, I did not lose weight. Maybe my body went into “starvation mode” and stored every calorie as fat. I found that when I would occasionally add some calories, I would jump start my weight loss to a certain degree, but, as most of us know, it never lasted

for long.

On the other hand, I would certainly get at least one doctor’s opinion on the current state of your health- including blood work. There MAY be an underlying issue that should be dealt with before you even consider WLS. And, there is certainly no harm in explaining your situation to Dr. Aceves and getting his professional opinion as well. I think it’s a good policy to always be as well educated as possible before making any big decision. If you have any questions about banding that I might be able to help you with, please feel free to ask. There are also a ton of sleevesters (well, you guys, not really a TON, ok?) lol…. That can relate their experiences as well.

Good luck with your decision!

From: @groups. com [mailto:Dr-Aceves- bandsters] On Behalf Of classpassionSent: Monday, December 15, 2008 9:58 AM @groups. comSubject: [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] Re: Hi Everyone I am new here And Look forward to sharing with you all!

> > > > > > > Hi All:> > I joined this group a

month or 2 ago and have just been reading > emails and researching. I have been researching for a long time now. > I was planning on getting the surgery for the Lap-Band but things > didnt go as I planned and prayerd for as my insurance didnt cover any > part of it. I am now on Medicade and the suregery will be covered. > ooooo for that part. I am still checking to see if it will be > covered for Mexico but I am having trouble doing that. I live in > texas so there are plenty of drs that do the surgery here also. > > I have an appointment with a Dr here that does the surgery completely > non invasive. So that is very appealing to me. I am 41 years old and > have been heavy all my life. I am not a large eater and I dont over > eat. I really survive on Coffee and salads. Yet diets fail for me > because I cannot consume enough of calories to lose

weight. And I > have tried them all countless times alone and with friends. They lose > the weight and I stay the same. Well, Im tired of that life and > disappointment. I have young kids and If I dont take care of myself > now im not going to be walking around to be with them. No I am not > 600 pounds but I was in a car wreck 8 years ago and received massive > neck, back and spinal cord injuries by the grace of God and great > surgeons I am walking. If I Continue to stay at the weight i am I > wont be walking in a few years because my spine cannot support my > weight. Unfortunately my old insurance company and employer didnt > care about this. I am already disabled I dont want to spend the next > 20 or 30 years in a wheel chair helpless and paralyzed. I was there > already its not fun for anyone.> > I have read alot of posts on this site some

helpful some worry some > to me. As right now i am 290 pounds and a size 24. And I dont want to > be a size 4 at any time in my life. Its not who i am and not what I > want to be. So my biggest fear with the surgery is will I get to thin > where I look sick and I have lost every part of me that I love and > everyone else loves about me. I know the amount of weight loss goes n > how the band is adjuted. But Still I have questions over and over > again. I want this surgery and I want a new life. However, I dont > want to be twiggy either. When do we make the decision that enough is > enough.. One woman posted lately she was banded in 2006 and she is now > a size 4. I never want to be a size 4 and i dont want to see myself > as a size 4. It might be great for her, and I pray for her happiness, > for me it would be like a death sentenance. Im to small

framed to be > that thin. Im short, and small boned I woul dlike like a sick dying > barbie doll. And that isnt who I am. Is there a way for me to get to > a size 10 or 12 and stop. Say I am where I am happy now I dont want > to lose more. What do I do to slow down the weight loss.> > Like I stated earlier in this email. I am not a large eater and I > dont over eat. I eat enough food to survive. So what do I do first.> > Thank for you help and concern guys. Any and all information you can > give me is appreciated.> > Fran>

Hi

Finally, someone gets my point. And answered my question as i wanted. Thank you so much. I get so busy and tired of cooking food i dont eat it. plain and simple here. Learning to eat properly and getting the proper amount of calories is the goal we all learn. I dont think anyone thing or heavy eat properly. Not where i am in texas anyway. I think im fat and I dislike that word fat i always have. But I see people here that are really killing themselves and they have no clue and I dont want to be that way either. I run a home, a business and a family with small kids. I never stop running and doing for everyone. So I need to for once in my life learn to take care of me and do what i need to do for myself to make my kids lives better. Im and not worried at all over the surgery I know i will do well and be successful on my journey. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Fran

> > > > > > > Hi All:> > I joined this group a month or 2 ago and have just been reading > emails and researching. I have been researching for a long time now. > I was planning on getting the surgery for the Lap-Band but things > didnt go as I planned and prayerd for as my insurance didnt cover any > part of it. I am now on Medicade and the suregery will be covered. > ooooo for that part. I am still checking to see if it will be >

covered for Mexico but I am having trouble doing that. I live in > texas so there are plenty of drs that do the surgery here also. > > I have an appointment with a Dr here that does the surgery completely > non invasive. So that is very appealing to me. I am 41 years old and > have been heavy all my life. I am not a large eater and I dont over > eat. I really survive on Coffee and salads. Yet diets fail for me > because I cannot consume enough of calories to lose weight. And I > have tried them all countless times alone and with friends. They lose > the weight and I stay the same. Well, Im tired of that life and > disappointment. I have young kids and If I dont take care of myself > now im not going to be walking around to be with them. No I am not > 600 pounds but I was in a car wreck 8 years ago and received massive > neck, back and spinal cord

injuries by the grace of God and great > surgeons I am walking. If I Continue to stay at the weight i am I > wont be walking in a few years because my spine cannot support my > weight. Unfortunately my old insurance company and employer didnt > care about this. I am already disabled I dont want to spend the next > 20 or 30 years in a wheel chair helpless and paralyzed. I was there > already its not fun for anyone.> > I have read alot of posts on this site some helpful some worry some > to me. As right now i am 290 pounds and a size 24. And I dont want to > be a size 4 at any time in my life. Its not who i am and not what I > want to be. So my biggest fear with the surgery is will I get to thin > where I look sick and I have lost every part of me that I love and > everyone else loves about me. I know the amount of weight loss goes n > how the

band is adjuted. But Still I have questions over and over > again. I want this surgery and I want a new life. However, I dont > want to be twiggy either. When do we make the decision that enough is > enough. One woman posted lately she was banded in 2006 and she is now > a size 4. I never want to be a size 4 and i dont want to see myself > as a size 4. It might be great for her, and I pray for her happiness, > for me it would be like a death sentenance. Im to small framed to be > that thin. Im short, and small boned I woul dlike like a sick dying > barbie doll. And that isnt who I am. Is there a way for me to get to > a size 10 or 12 and stop. Say I am where I am happy now I dont want > to lose more. What do I do to slow down the weight loss.> > Like I stated earlier in this email. I am not a large eater and I > dont over eat. I eat enough food

to survive. So what do I do first.> > Thank for you help and concern guys. Any and all information you can > give me is appreciated.> > Fran>

Fran...Nope, not buying this one.I never claimed you are rude, never said you are a liar either. You are projecting and I'm going to call you on it when you are doing it to me. I apologized because you felt I was putting you down. I explained that was not my intent. You twisted that to say I felt you were rude. I wrote no such thing.

We are honest with one another here, it's the way it is. I got a dose of reality as a newbie too, I think in one way or another we ALL get a dose of reality from those who care. If you choose to look at that as something negative, you own that one - not me.

If you are eating 200-300 calories a day from what you describe and if you get a band, you will eat about 1/3 of what you are currently eating. How will the caloric restriction serve you? You don't need a band to chew well and besides, chewing well doesn't really do a great deal for weight loss anyway. A band doesn't do a thing for good food choices, quite the opposite in some cases (soft food syndrome). A band doesn't control routine. A band doesn't do any of the things you are suggesting. The ONLY thing a band is going to do for you is to cut your caloric intake. That's it. The rest is up to us. Sadly, the band does none of the things you are suggesting. This is a problem many experience, they have expectations about WLS that are not realistic and they don't truly get that until after surgery. That is very common, maybe even most of us experience this.

You are expressing frustration because you only eat a small number of calories and you are apparently a 50'ish BMI. You want to cut your calories down further thinking this will help. I am again asking you this specific question. How will cutting your calories down to about 100 per day help you lose weight when the reason you are not losing is because you eat too few calories?

I stuck to 600 calories a day and lost very well. Dr. Aceves did not necessarily approve of my methods but I wanted the weight loss journey over with once and for all.I would encourage you to see your doctor for some labs including a thyroid profile because something is very wrong here.

Good luck to you!On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:06 PM, <mikesgirl105@...> wrote:

Hi

Like I have said i have been to many drs and I have talked to many on consultation about the band surgery. If i had it done i would need to be on a strick routine and have to eat. WE have to learn to chew properly and eat a balanced diet. To eat foods that are good for us and that we need to have to lose weight. That is something i dont do at all. I will eat a small boneless chicken breast and nothing else. There is no routine with me. Yes I cook dinner every night but i have a family to take care of like we all do. And by the time im done with them i dont want to eat. I was never a good eater and i always ate small portions and never finished what was on my plate and i was never forced to either. im 40 years old i still hate bread, candy, junk foods i dont see the point to eating them. Im not normal at all.

I wasnt lying to myself or you or the group i was being very honest, I could have lied and said all i did was eat and im out of control i didnt. No one loses weight if they dont eat propery and if you dont consume the right amount of calories you are not going to lose weight either. So its all learning and routine also. Which is hy I feel this will work for me. ?If you dont feel that way im sorry. Im sorry if you thought i was rude in my email back to you. I felt the same way about you to be honest. I wanted information and from what i have been reading from posts on this group i did nothing wrong in asking my question. Personally I think you have had a very successful journey and Im happy you have reached your goal. know it wasnt easy for you or anyone else. But I need to try this for myself and to get well and eating healthy and right for a change. Thanks for you input

Fran

Hi

Fran

Fran,

I can relate to your situation.

Years ago before I was banded, I worked out with a trainer. She had me keep a food journal for a month while I trained with her. After a month, she said "you need to eat more".

It was like magic, the first month I added about 300 calories to my diet I lost 12 pounds.

More recently when preparing for my banding, I consulted a nutritionist. She had me keep a food journal as well along with monitoring my other habits such as sleep and coffee consumption.

At her suggestion, my first goals were to get off caffeine so I could sleep more. Sleeping 3 hours a day when working 5 twelve hour night shifts was not cutting it.

She thought my eating was ok calorie wise but I usually only at twice a day and she wanted me to eat 3 times a day.

She said the stress of not sleeping would raise my stress hormones which would in turn PREVENT me from losing weight regardless of my dieting.

Again it was like magic after gradually eliminated caffeine, I was able to sleep more and once I began sleeping more, I averaged about a 2 pound a week loss.

Now, I won't say that my low calories and previous bad habits resulted in my weighing over 300 pounds but it prevented me from losing weight.

I ballooned up the first year I began working nights and added a 4th meal to my diet....and it was usually fast food on the way to work at 11pm.

My suggestions to you before you get any weight loss surgery is that you work any bad habits you may have like eating infrequently and drinking a lot of regular coffee.

Changing my bad habits made a huge difference in my WLS journey and the struggles that come with it.

The other aspect is that you are supposed to give up the caffeine anyway before surgery so if you start now, you'll be better prepared when you do have surgery.

Just remember, giving up caffeine is just like giving up any other drug, you will have withdrawal symptoms.

I eliminated caffeine gradually from 6 cups to none over 5 weeks and I still had horrible headaches and felt awful some weeks.

You have the power to do anything you set your mind to do.

Your job is to make the best decision informed decision for yourself and then follow the doctor's protocol if you want success.

Hang in there.

a

DOB May 9th,2008

(365) 345/2??/170

Hi

Fran

Hi a, I am another night shift fatty. If you look around there is an awful lot of us on graveyard. I could never get completely off coffee,however I can take it or leave it now, and never drink any after about 0130. I don't know how the hell you survived on 3 hours of sleep a night. I would have felt like I was walking around in another dimension, let alone the crabbiness factor. I still get the night munchies, especially on a slow night. Trying to munch healthier low cal foods now, but it's a constant struggle, as I'm sure you're well aware. Maybe I will do a food journal. Great idea. Loretta

Hi

Fran

Loretta,

The first year was the absolute worst. My kids would tell me to take a nap because I was so crabby.

I slept a lot more back then when I first began night shifts. In the beginning I worked 3 or 4 8 hour night shifts but after 3 years graduated to 4 to 5 twelves. During that time I also went to college full time for 3 years to finish my BA degree and take care of my family as a single mother....ugh! I don't know how I survived it. Some days I never made it home or to bed.

As the years passed I just got USED to feeling tired, it was a trade off so I could work and not pay all my earnings to childcare.

The bottom line is that for most of us, our bodies are not meant to be awake all night and sleep during the day. Many of us who think we are doing ok but if we are honest with ourselves, we can feel and see the differences in our bodies and our lives.

I recently saw an old friend who has worked nights since she had her kids...13 years. She said the night shifts work for her but I'm not sure she has looked in the mirror lately.

She looks awful!

Anyway, once I was off the caffeine, I was able to sleep 6 hours and now that I am pleasantly unemployed, I can sleep my 7 or 8 without any trouble.

One of the important things we should all remember is that caffeine IS a drug and a stimulant. It affects our bodies adversely and should be USED thoughtfully.

I won't even mention the tanic acid...

And all this from a coffee lover. I never thought I would give it up.

Ok, end of lecture here.

Good luck with your journaling. I think it helps because it allows accountability even if it is to only yourself.a

DOB May 9th,2008

(365) 345/2??/170

Hi

Fran