RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: fill after fill

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,I was banded on Aug 18th with a 10cc band and had a 1.6cc fill on October 24th with Dr. Compos. I can barely eat anything, and I was thinking it is probably too tight. I was able to eat almost everything before the fill, with the exception of apples and sushi. Now a month after the fill, I still struggle with solids. I ruled out eating in the morning entirely because I learned after it came back up repeatedly that resistance is futile. I can eat very small portions in the evening and I feel full for hours. I feel like I binged, even though I know that is not true because I can see that my real portion size was tiny. My challenge has been sticking with the solids, even though they are difficult, and avoiding soft foods and things that will go down way too easily like chips and

salsa.I am still discovering foods that I can and cannot eat, for example, chicken has about 50/50 chance of going down, but beans are almost universally ok. I also wanted to mention two foods I found that are high protein/low carb for others who are on mushies stage: Fage Greek yogurt (http://www.fageusa.com/index.html#/products/zero/) has 20 grams of protein per 8 oz, and is MUCH better tasting than any protein shake; and Fasolya salata from a local Lebanese place. It has red kidney beans, green onions, diced red peppers that are marinated in olive oil and garlic. You can blended if you can't chew it up. Yum. Just don't breath on anyone for awhile.Even though the plane ticket and hotel were ridiculously pricey, I chose to go back for the first fill to make sure everything is kosher with my band. If you can, maybe it would be worth a trip to have Dr. A or Dr. C to check everything out?Also, I saw a post from someone a few weeks ago dispairing about slow weight loss before the fill. Boy, do I know that feeling. I was reading updates from sleeved folks who had surgeries at the same time as I did, and finding myself jealous over their progress. Things changed after a fill. If it helps, here my stats: I was at 296 per Dr. A's scale on the day of the surgery. I quickly dropped down to 280 after the surgery while on liquids, and pretty much stayed there for weeks until my fill. So that was only 16 lbs loss before I got filled, most of it coming off in the first two weeks. I had virtually no restriction within a week after surgery, like it never happened. (Which brings me back to - are you sure your doc is hitting the port??? It doesn't sound like you have a fill. You would feel the water going in and restriction immediately after. It took me DAYS to be able to eat yogurt, and then I

would spend an hour working on a baby size 4 oz container). I will hit a month since the fill in two days, and I dropped 9 lbs in that month. I am hoping to make it round 10lb by then, weighing in at 270 and bringing up the total to 26 lbs. So, not nearly as fast as sleeved folks, but it's going in the right direction. I think with dropping thousands of dollars on a surgery, there is a part of me that wanted an instant miracle, but I have to tell myself that what I got is a tool, not a miracle. Slow and steady is just fine, and if I keep this up, I will lose all my excess weight in a year. I also have to confess that I have not done much exercising; I am hoping to step that up, too, to expedite my progress. Remember, slow weight loss before the fill doesn't mean squat. Great majority of bandsters don't really start losing until they get a fill., best of luck to you. I hope you figure out what's going on, but I cannot imagine having 3cc's

and feeling absolutely nothing. Something's off. Get fluro, do a barrium swallow, check your fill WITH SOMEONE ELSE.My 2 cents.From: Deb <horseigot@...> Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2008 10:36:51 AMSubject: Re: fill after fill

For some folks in a 10cc band. Getting to 6cc or 7cc is a good

fill, but everyone is different. Also with the larger bands it

takes a bit longer to reach your sweet spot. Is it done under

fluor, cuz if so you should be able to see it going

down, and should be able to feel the water as it goes down, also

getting your fill in the afternoon is a good choice, as the a.m.

we are always tighter. Don't be afraid to speak up. You are paying

for a service and after all you know your body better than anyone.

Being too tight is not a good ideal more chance of slip, erode,

reflux, etc. You should be able to eat credit card size protein,

and produce. I gave up protein shakes and am back to losing..Yeah

It's very hard to eat the protein,veggie at one time and not get

full, wish I had learned this a year and half ago..Hope this helps

Deb

>

> Hi, all. I am a little frustrated and need your help. I was banded

August 19th. I felt no restriction so had a fill at 6 weeks. I had 2

ccs in the band and the doctor added 1 cc for a total of 3cc. STILL

no restriction. So, back to the doctor for another fill two weeks

later. That fill was another 1cc for 4 ccs total. Still, virtually

no restriction. I have to eat a bit slower and there are more things

on the list now that don't go down so easy. So, I am having another

fill next Tuesday and hoping I will finally feel some restriction. I

have a 10cc band. Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

>

> Thanks

>

> H

>

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. It seems clear that everyone is completely different!

I have some weird things I cannot eat, either. Bread is bad most of the time. Most meat and poultry is off the menu. Tatertots are some kinda food from HELL:-))). Bananas are difficult.

I am sure my doctor is hitting the band each time as I can see him pull out the fill and put it back along with the additional saline.

I was very worried about finding a local doctor but I adore this one even though he is four hours away. He is a boarded surgeon with a huge bariatric specialty practice. He is easy, egoless and really communicates well. Thirty two years in medicine has left me without patience for poor bedside manner and poor experience and abilities.

Re: fill after fill

-I too have a 10cc band and I am now at 8ccs....I have restriction but can still eat anything I want except french fries....I have no idea why. I can eat meat and everything else but for some reason every time I eat french fries I throw them up. So i gave them up since i wasnt suppose to be eating them anyway. I got my band in Feb. o8 and have only lost 30 lbs. I really had hope to have met goal by my 1 year but seem that that will happen. I only needed to lose 75-80 lbs. The process for me has been very slow. So I guess I can say Im still NOT at my sweet spot. Going for another fill in Jan. and hoping for the sweet spot after that.Good luck and hang in there.-- In , "Deb" <horseigot@...> wrote:>> For some folks in a 10cc band. Getting to 6cc or 7cc is a good> fill, but everyone is different. Also with the larger bands it> takes a bit longer to reach your sweet spot. Is it done under > fluor, cuz if so you should be able to see it going> down, and should be able to feel the water as it goes down, also> getting your fill in the afternoon is a good choice, as the a.m.> we are always tighter. Don't be afraid to speak up. You are paying> for a service and after all you know your body better than anyone. > Being too tight is not a good ideal more chance of slip, erode,> reflux, etc. You should be able to eat credit card size protein,> and produce. I gave up protein shakes and am back to losing..Yeah> It's very hard to eat the protein,veggie at one time and not get> full, wish I had learned this a year and half ago..Hope this helps> Deb> > > >> > Hi, all. I am a little frustrated and need your help. I was banded > August 19th. I felt no restriction so had a fill at 6 weeks. I had 2 > ccs in the band and the doctor added 1 cc for a total of 3cc. STILL > no restriction. So, back to the doctor for another fill two weeks > later. That fill was another 1cc for 4 ccs total. Still, virtually > no restriction. I have to eat a bit slower and there are more things > on the list now that don't go down so easy. So, I am having another > fill next Tuesday and hoping I will finally feel some restriction. I > have a 10cc band. Has anyone else had this kind of experience?> > > > Thanks> > > > H> >>