Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have left it in a bowl - my family just eats it throughout the day that

way and it does dry out. I am not sure what the oven would do. It might

" burn " if too hot.

Steph

Re: Salt Mill

> Is there any reason we couldn't dry the wet salt, say in the oven on

> low for a bit? Then we should be able to put it in any grinder.

>

> Or is there benefit to it staying wet?

>

> Darla

>

>

>>

>> I got my Kyocera about 2 weeks ago. This was to replace the old

> (about 12 yrs) grinder that I had gotten from the Grain and Salt

> Society. My visiting sister dropped it on the floor and the glass

> broke. (beloved sister breaks one thing in my kitchen every year when

> she visits-----gonna make her stay home!)

>>

>> It was wonderful, and does not seem to be available anywhere

> (believe me, I really searched).

>>

>> So, the Kyocera comes in at 2nd best, but it doesn't look like

> there is much in the way of other choices.

>>

>> Since my house is winter bone-dry, the wet salt is not so much of

> an issue. What I learned to do with the old one was to mix the coarse

> grind with the fine and somehow it just worked a lot better than just

> grinding the coarse alone.

>>

>> Sharon M

>>

>>

>>

>> > Cooking.com has it too. I have this grinder. Actually I have

> the course

>> > and the fine grind versions. I recommend the (white) fine

> grind. My course

>> > grind gets jammed up more since the salt is so wet. The key is

> the ceramic

>> > parts that do not rust. You do not want a metal grinder.

>> >

>> > http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=394841

>> > Here is another resource for a list of other websites

>> > http://www.mysimon.com/9015-11016_8-28938084.html

>> >

>> > Steph

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I would think it would be better to put it into a microwave, since a microwave overn just increases the speed with which the molecules move, and water moves faster and evaporates. RoniDarla <discountinferno@...> wrote: Is there any reason we couldn't dry the wet salt, say in the oven on low for a bit? Then we should be able to put it in any grinder. Or is there benefit to it staying wet?Darla>> I got my Kyocera about 2 weeks ago. This was to replace the old (about 12 yrs) grinder that I had gotten from the Grain and Salt Society. My visiting sister dropped it on the floor and the glass broke. (beloved sister breaks one thing in my kitchen every year when she visits-----gonna make her stay home!)> > It was wonderful, and does not seem to be available anywhere (believe me, I really searched). > > So, the Kyocera comes in at 2nd best, but it doesn't look like there is much in the way of other choices.> > Since my house is winter bone-dry, the wet salt is not so much of an issue. What I learned to do with the old one was to mix the coarse grind with the fine and somehow it just worked a lot better than just grinding the coarse alone.> > Sharon

M> > > > > Cooking.com has it too. I have this grinder. Actually I have the course > > and the fine grind versions. I recommend the (white) fine grind. My course > > grind gets jammed up more since the salt is so wet. The key is the ceramic > > parts that do not rust. You do not want a metal grinder.> > > > http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=394841> > Here is another resource for a list of other websites > > http://www.mysimon.com/9015-11016_8-28938084.html> > > > Steph>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Why "nuke" a good thing like Celtic Salt. I don't trust them for food.

Steph

Re: Re: Salt Mill

I would think it would be better to put it into a microwave,

since a microwave overn just increases the speed with

which the molecules move, and water moves faster and

evaporates.

RoniDarla <discountinferno@...> wrote:

Is there any reason we couldn't dry the wet salt, say in the oven on low for a bit? Then we should be able to put it in any grinder. Or is there benefit to it staying wet?Darla>> I got my Kyocera about 2 weeks ago. This was to replace the old (about 12 yrs) grinder that I had gotten from the Grain and Salt Society. My visiting sister dropped it on the floor and the glass broke. (beloved sister breaks one thing in my kitchen every year when she visits-----gonna make her stay home!)> > It was wonderful, and does not seem to be available anywhere (believe me, I really searched). > > So, the Kyocera comes in at 2nd best, but it doesn't look like there is much in the way of other choices.> > Since my house is winter bone-dry, the wet salt is not so much of an issue. What I learned to do with the old one was to mix the coarse grind with the fine and somehow it just worked a lot better than just grinding the coarse alone.> > Sharon M> > > > > Cooking.com has it too. I have this grinder. Actually I have the course > > and the fine grind versions. I recommend the (white) fine grind. My course > > grind gets jammed up more since the salt is so wet. The key is the ceramic > > parts that do not rust. You do not want a metal grinder.> > > > http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=394841> > Here is another resource for a list of other websites > > http://www.mysimon.com/9015-11016_8-28938084.html> > > > Steph>

Q: Is microwaved food safe? A: Yes, microwaved food is safe. Cooking with microwaves causes the same sort of chemical changes in food that would occur during any other form of heating. Our expert: Bob Steele Published 12/12/2007 [image source: iStockphoto] Have your say Do you only microwave food when you have to or do you prefer microwave cooking over other methods? Tell us on the messageboard below.Conditions of Use Microwave ovens became a common

feature of Australian kitchens around the same time as lime green benchtops and burnt orange stoneware. But while modern microwaves have shed the wood veneer panelling, some people still have concerns about food safety. So what happens when you nuke your food in a microwave oven? Well, for a start you're not nuking it: you're actually heating it with low frequency electromagnetic energy, the energy is lower than light, another form of electromagnetic energy, says Bob Steele from Food Science Australia. Microwaves penetrate more deeply than light, and heat food by rapidly vibrating water molecules. When a microwave oven is turned off, there are no microwaves left behind in either the oven or the food. Unlike ionising radiation from nuclear energy, low frequency electromagnetic energy (microwave ovens use a frequency of around 2,450 Mhz) has "little or no ability to break strong chemical bonds," Steele says. For

this reason, there is not any substantiated evidence it causes undue chemical changes in food and creates toxins, he says. But what about nutrition? The majority of research suggests microwave cooking is just as nutritious as other methods and may have some benefits. "In general, because you are able to heat food much more rapidly, retention of vitamins is higher," Steele says. And nutrient retention, especially for the water soluble vitamins B and C, is better than other cooking methods such as boiling where the water soluble vitamins are often thrown out with the water. In fact, microwave heating has been used to improve extraction of nutrients from foods. Work at CSIRO has shown better bio-accessability of anti-oxidants in microwave heated foods. As foods cooked in microwaves don't brown, microwave cooking also helps to retain amino acids such as lysine, he says. Microwave warnings There are,

however, some things you should watch out for. One of these is the use of non-approved plastics to hold hot food. The main concern is that some plastics, such as those used as yoghurt containers, can melt, potentially resulting in serious burns, says Steele. Non-food approved plastics should never be used. Look for containers with the international food-safe symbol (see pic below). While, in the past there has been some concern with non-food approved plastics like PVC contaminating food, this is unlikely to happen with food-approved plastics that are clearly marked with the words "microwave safe". These plastics are designed to withstand high temperatures. However, even these can fail in a microwave oven, so never heat cooking oil in plastic containers as the temperatures can easily exceed the melting point of the plastic and potentially cause serious burns. Uneven heating can be another major problem – not only can it

allow the growth of micro-organisms, it can also cause scalding. Domestic microwave ovens should never be used to sterilise foods. Low temperatures and uneven heating mean you can not be guaranteed that pathogenic spores have been inactivated, he explains. Safety tips International food contact symbol. Steele's top tips for safe microwave cooking are: always read the instructions on the packet never reheat food more than two minutes (because of the risk of scalds) never heat fats or cooking oils in a microwave oven - the temperatures can easily become excessive and may melt even the most resistant plastic container always allow one to two minutes standing time to allow heat to even out always use

plastics approved for food use in a microwave oven. These are marked with the international food contact symbol (see left) and the phrase 'microwave safe'. always be careful – use a glove to remove the container from the oven. And while independent testing of microwaves indicates that radiation leakage is uncommon for new models, older models could be a health hazard if the door is damaged or doesn't fit properly. So even though retro is back, it might be time for that old microwave to go. Bob Steele is a science ladybugsandbees <ladybugsandbees@...> wrote: Why "nuke" a good thing like Celtic Salt. I don't trust them for food. Steph Re: Re: Salt Mill I would think it would be better to put it

into a microwave, since a microwave overn just increases the speed with which the molecules move, and water moves faster and evaporates. RoniDarla <discountinferno > wrote: Is there any reason we couldn't dry the wet salt, say in the oven on low for a bit? Then we should be able to put it in any grinder. Or is there benefit to it staying wet?Darla>> I got my Kyocera about 2 weeks ago. This was to replace the old (about 12 yrs) grinder that I had gotten from the Grain and Salt Society. My visiting sister dropped it on the floor and the glass broke.

(beloved sister breaks one thing in my kitchen every year when she visits-----gonna make her stay home!)> > It was wonderful, and does not seem to be available anywhere (believe me, I really searched). > > So, the Kyocera comes in at 2nd best, but it doesn't look like there is much in the way of other choices.> > Since my house is winter bone-dry, the wet salt is not so much of an issue. What I learned to do with the old one was to mix the coarse grind with the fine and somehow it just worked a lot better than just grinding the coarse alone.> > Sharon M> > > > > Cooking.com has it too. I have this grinder. Actually I have the course > > and the fine grind versions. I recommend the (white) fine grind. My course > > grind gets jammed up more since the salt is so wet. The key is the ceramic > > parts that do not rust. You do

not want a metal grinder.> > > > http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=394841> > Here is another resource for a list of other websites > > http://www.mysimon.com/9015-11016_8-28938084.html> > > > Steph> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

I sure don't believe microwaves are safe for food. I do not own a

microwave and do not eat in restaurants or frends' homes where food is

microwaved. In the 1950s they used fluoroscopes to check the fit of

shoes in shoe stores. That proved not to be safe, so they eventually

stopped doing it, but not before some people were seriously injured.

Alobar

On 1/3/08, Roni Molin <matchermaam@...> wrote:

>

>

> Q: Is microwaved food safe?

> A: Yes, microwaved food is safe. Cooking with microwaves causes the same sort

of chemical changes in food that would occur during any other form of heating.

No, my hypo brain fog was apparant way before I had a microwave. LOL RoniDarla <discountinferno@...> wrote: My microwave is at eye level. At first I thought it was the cause of my hypo brain fog. :-)Darla>> Why "nuke" a good thing like Celtic Salt. I don't trust them for food.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

At one point, my son put forth the idea that microwaving was in some way harmful, even to water. So we conducted an experiment and microwaved water that we later used to put cuttings from the same plant into two jars, one microwaved and one not. The two little plants grew at the same rate with the same luxuriousness, If cooking food at a low temperature, like in a slow cooker, or low oven settin is bad for food we would have to eat all of our food raw. I know there are proponents of this theory, but I prefer not to be one of them. You, however are entitled to your beliefs, and I respect you for having and stating them. RoniAlobar <Alobar@...> wrote: I sure don't believe microwaves are safe for food. I do not own amicrowave and do not eat in restaurants or frends' homes where food ismicrowaved. In the 1950s they used fluoroscopes to check the fit ofshoes in shoe stores. That proved not to be safe, so they eventuallystopped doing it, but not before some people were seriously injured.AlobarOn 1/3/08, Roni Molin <matchermaam > wrote:>>> Q: Is microwaved food safe?> A: Yes, microwaved food is safe. Cooking with microwaves causes the same sort of chemical changes in food that would occur during any other form of

heating.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Isn't that defeating the purpose of this good salt. I have a small grinder that is all hard plastic and am loving the taste of this salt. Having dry salt is probably why they made the denatured salt in the first place. People wanted it to pour.

Don't know about regular oven heat but microwaves are horrible for any food.

Just my opinion.

Best to all,

-- Re: Re: Salt Mill

I would think it would be better to put it into a microwave,

Since a microwave overn just increases the speed with

which the molecules move, and water moves faster and

evaporates.

RoniDarla <discountinferno > wrote:

Is there any reason we couldn't dry the wet salt, say in the oven on low for a bit? Then we should be able to put it in any grinder. Or is there benefit to it staying wet?Darla

You wrote. Don't know about regular oven heat but microwaves are horrible for any food. Why do you feel this way? On what information is this based? I'd be interested to know if there is something I've missed. Roni Klasi Lady <ronicamelian@...> wrote: Isn't that defeating the purpose of this good salt. I have a small grinder that is all hard plastic and am loving the taste of this salt. Having dry salt is probably why they made the denatured salt in the first place. People wanted it to pour. Don't know about regular oven heat but microwaves are horrible for any food. Just my opinion. Best to all, -- Re: Re: Salt Mill I would think it would be better to put it into a microwave, Since a microwave overn just increases the speed with which the molecules move, and water moves faster and evaporates. RoniDarla <discountinferno > wrote: Is there any reason we couldn't dry the wet salt, say in the oven on low for a bit? Then we should be able to put it in any grinder.

Or is there benefit to it staying wet?Darla .

I found something else describing a microwave's action. By the way just about everything has electromagnetic energy, computer, radio, clock, cell phone, etc. http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/microwaves Green Guide ask | Just Ask! Nuking Your Food's Nutrional Value by Main A reader writes The Green Guide: I am interested in knowing more about what happens to food when it is heated and or cooked in the microwave. I would like to know both sides of the argument as I have been told both that it has a negative effect on one's health and that there is no scientific basis to that contention. The Green Guide responds: Microwaves

heat food by heating the water within the food you're cooking. The electronically generated microwaves are absorbed by the food's water molecules, and heating the food's water heats the rest of the food indirectly. You shouldn't be concerned about being exposed to dangerous radiation, ala nuclear radiation, because the microwaves come from electromagnetic energy, not radioactive sources. There are quite a few Internet sites devoted to the health hazards of microwaving food, ranging from claims that microwaves cause loss of vitamins and other vital nutrients to claims that microwaving food alters the chemical makeup of food such that carcinogenic compounds are formed as a result. There have been no studies verifying the truth of these claims. Scientists at the U.S. Department of Energy and those at Health Canada (the equivalent to the U.S. FDA) attest that microwaving food has no different effect on the food's chemical makeup than any other method of heating,

such as boiling or baking, and that heating food in any manner is going to cause some loss of nutritional value. Health Canada officials actually state that microwaves, due to the shorter cooking times, allow food to retain more nutrients than other methods of cooking. Nevetheless, if you want to preserve as much nutrition as possible, don't heat your food, unless, of course, you're dealing with meat products. The health concerns you should consider when microwaving food deal mostly with food safety and packaging. Both agencies recommend against heating meat products in the microwave simply because microwaves may heat them unevenly, creating the risk of exposure to harmful bacteria. In terms of packaging, you should avoid using plastics and plastic wraps in the microwave. While a "microwave-safe" or "microwavable" label on plastic containers only means that they shouldn't melt, crack or fall apart when used in the microwave, the label is no guarantee that

containers don't leach chemicals into foods when heated. Also, you may want to avoid eating microwaved popcorn, as a study published last year revealed that the interior linings of microwave-popcorn bags are coated with Teflon, a chemical considered a "likely carcinogen" by the Environmental Protection Agency. Klasi Lady <ronicamelian@...> wrote: Isn't that defeating the purpose of this good salt. I have a small grinder that is all hard plastic and am loving the taste of this salt. Having dry salt is probably why they made the denatured salt in the first place. People wanted it to pour. Don't know about regular oven heat but microwaves are horrible for any food. Just my opinion. Best to all, -- Re: Re: Salt Mill I would think it would be better to put it into a microwave, Since a microwave overn just increases the speed with which the molecules move, and water moves faster and evaporates. RoniDarla <discountinferno > wrote: Is there any reason we couldn't dry the wet salt, say in the oven on low for a bit? Then we should be able to put it in any grinder. Or is there benefit to it staying wet?Darla .

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.