RemedySpot.com

Re: Bromism & foods

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Alobar,You mentioned you take 4 grams of niacin amide. The B vitamins work synergistically. When you increase one, w/o increasing the others, you can create deficiencies in the others. For example, persons severely lacking in folic acid develop ulcerated lips, sore mouths and throats. How many mgs of the other B vitamins do you take?PamelaAlobar <Alobar@...> wrote: I seem to have some of the symptoms of having Bromide in my diet, but I can't figure out where. I do use some sea veggies, but not a lot. I do not

eat breads. I take no perscription drugs or over the counder medicines, very rarely use bug sprays (less than 1 squirt every few months), do not use a cellphone, and have new clothing or bedclothes with flame retardents in them (unless it it is in my new underwear). I am basing my suspicions of bromism by re-reading the list of symptoms posted to this list a while back. Below are symptoms I observe: runny nose mouth and tongue sores and cuts or "sore mouth" runny nose http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/bromidedetoxsymptomsandstrategies.html Is there a comprehensive list delineating which foods, medicinal herbs, etc. contain bromide? Alobar

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Low Vit B5 can cause a sore tongue along with "allergies" which could be the runny nose. Low B12 can cause a sore tongue as well. I learned the hard way about the B Vitamins and overlaoding on one and then throwing the entire thing out of balance. Steph

Vitamin B - B5 Vitamin B5 is active in the formation of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which can be involved in some depression. A deficiency can cause depression, fatigue and allergies.

Hi Alobar,You mentioned you take 4 grams of niacin amide. The B vitamins work synergistically. When you increase one, w/o increasing the others, you can create deficiencies in the others. For example, persons severely lacking in folic acid develop ulcerated lips, sore mouths and throats. How many mgs of the other B vitamins do you take?PamelaAlobar <Alobar@...> wrote:

I seem to have some of the symptoms of having Bromide in my diet, butI can't figure out where. I do use some sea veggies, but not a lot.I do not eat breads. I take no perscription drugs or over the coundermedicines, very rarely use bug sprays (less than 1 squirt every fewmonths), do not use a cellphone, and have new clothing or bedclotheswith flame retardents in them (unless it it is in my new underwear).I am basing my suspicions of bromism by re-reading the list ofsymptoms posted to this list a while back. Below are symptoms Iobserve:runny nosemouth and tongue sores and cuts or "sore mouth"runny nosehttp://www.breastcancerchoices.org/bromidedetoxsymptomsandstrategies.htmlIs there a comprehensive list delineating which foods, medicinalherbs, etc. contain bromide?Alobar

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

I take a good multivitamin (Miracle 2000) which has balanced B complex. I take 100 mg of B-6. 800 mgs of Folic Acid, twice a day, Sublingual B-12 (1 gram), I would imagine that whey contains the water soluble B vitamins. I just checked the USDA database for whey. Number below are for 100 grams of dry whey.

Thiamin mg 0.519 Riboflavin mg 2.208 Niacin mg 1.258 Pantothenic acid mg 5.620 Vitamin B-6 mg 0.584 Folate, total mcg 12 Choline, total mg 225.0 Vitamin B-12 mcg 2.37

I just started getting these symptoms at the start of the cold weather this year. I have not changed my vitamin regimin lately, other than to add whey daily.

Alobar

On 1/1/08, ladybugsandbees <ladybugsandbees@...> wrote:

Low Vit B5 can cause a sore tongue along with " allergies " which could be the runny nose. Low B12 can cause a sore tongue as well. I learned the hard way about the B Vitamins and overlaoding on one and then throwing the entire thing out of balance. Steph

Vitamin B - B5 Vitamin B5 is active in the formation of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which can be involved in some depression. A deficiency can cause depression, fatigue and allergies.

Alobar,

Is there any chance you could relate your new problems to taking the whey?

I ask because I love whey protein shakes, but they seem to cause some kind of imbalance in my system. this is something I can't quite "put a finger on"-----I just notice that a lot of times when I've made a whey shake for breakfast, I "crash" around midday.

I haven't had a whey shake for a few months now, so I forget what the other vague symptoms were that I was attributing to the whey. For awhile I thought that maybe I was getting too much calcium, but I don't know the CA content in whey; I no longer have a canister around to check the label.

I had also checked for a high potassium content, wondering if it had been causing an imbalanced sodium/potassium ratio.

That ratio is still my best guess--------for *my* metabolism, that is.

Just throwing around some thoughts,

Sharon (starshar)

I take a good multivitamin (Miracle 2000) which has balanced B complex. I take 100 mg of B-6. 800 mgs of Folic Acid, twice a day, Sublingual B-12 (1 gram), I would imagine that whey contains the water soluble B vitamins. I just checked the USDA database for whey. Number below are for 100 grams of dry whey.

Thiamin mg 0.519 Riboflavin mg 2.208 Niacin mg 1.258 Pantothenic acid mg 5.620 Vitamin B-6 mg 0.584 Folate, total mcg 12 Choline, total mg 225.0 Vitamin B-12 mcg 2.37

I just started getting these symptoms at the start of the cold weather this year. I have not changed my vitamin regimin lately, other than to add whey daily.

Alobar

Whey is very useful to me for many reasons. I am diabetic on a low carb diet. When I exert myself, my body tends to catabolize muscle mass for energy. So I get weak when walking or climbing stairs. Since I have started taking whey, those problems have gone away.

Duncan Crow posted this to another list a while back.

" As a diabetic your dad should be aware that without elevating the master antioxidant glutathione he'll always be in danger, as nearly all diabetic complications are relevant to oxidative stress,. which causes inflammation, arterial plaque build up and organ fibrosis. To increase glutathione he'll take 70 grams undenatured whey and about 400 mcg selenium daily "

Duncan has a webpage with lots of references for Glutathione, including a download link to a free 12 page e-book.

http://members.shaw.ca/duncancrow/glutathione-references.html

Reading about whey, then starting to use it, I feel it is very good for me. If whey is causing the symptoms I outlined in my first pot on this thread, I can live with the symptoms.

Alobar

On 1/1/08, Starshar <starshar@...> wrote:

Alobar,

I ask because I love whey protein shakes, but they seem to cause some kind of imbalance in my system. this is something I can't quite " put a finger on " -----I just notice that a lot of times when I've made a whey shake for breakfast, I " crash " around midday.

I haven't had a whey shake for a few months now, so I forget what the other vague symptoms were that I was attributing to the whey. For awhile I thought that maybe I was getting too much calcium, but I don't know the CA content in whey; I no longer have a canister around to check the label.

I had also checked for a high potassium content, wondering if it had been causing an imbalanced sodium/potassium ratio.

Sharon (starshar)

Ok, I think I've been talking apples while you are talking oranges! Duncan's site is all about undenatured whey. This is a slightly different breed of cat than what I was using in protein shakes.

I'd forgotten about the anabolic effects of undenatured whey. That's a good reminder, Alobar.

Thanks!

Sharon/starshar

Whey is very useful to me for many reasons. I am diabetic on a low carb diet. When I exert myself, my body tends to catabolize muscle mass for energy. So I get weak when walking or climbing stairs. Since I have started taking whey, those problems have gone away.

Duncan Crow posted this to another list a while back.

"As a diabetic your dad should be aware that without elevating the master antioxidant glutathione he'll always be in danger, as nearly all diabetic complications are relevant to oxidative stress,. which causes inflammation, arterial plaque build up and organ fibrosis. To increase glutathione he'll take 70 grams undenatured whey and about 400 mcg selenium daily"

Duncan has a webpage with lots of references for Glutathione, including a download link to a free 12 page e-book.

http://members.shaw.ca/duncancrow/glutathione-references.html

Reading about whey, then starting to use it, I feel it is very good for me. If whey is causing the symptoms I outlined in my first pot on this thread, I can live with the symptoms.

Alobar

On 1/1/08, Starshar <starshar@...> wrote:

Alobar,

I ask because I love whey protein shakes, but they seem to cause some kind of imbalance in my system. this is something I can't quite "put a finger on"-----I just notice that a lot of times when I've made a whey shake for breakfast, I "crash" around midday.

Sharon (starshar)

I don't think we know. I started taking a complex because I read about the balance issue in my course work. I started taking it and felt better. I never really put the ATP CoFactor issue with it.

Steph

When taking the B2 and B3 amounts recommended in Dr. B's iodine protocol, does that throw the other B vitamins out of balance?

Lynn

>I learned the hard way about the B Vitamins and overlaoding on one and then throwing the entire thing >out of balance. Steph

>>The B vitamins work synergistically. When you increase one, w/o increasing the >>others, you can create deficiencies in the others. >>Pamela

When taking the B2 and B3 amounts recommended in Dr. B's iodine protocol, does that throw the other B vitamins out of balance?

Lynn

>I learned the hard way about the B Vitamins and overlaoding on one and then throwing the entire thing >out of balance. Steph

>>The B vitamins work synergistically. When you increase one, w/o increasing the >>others, you can create deficiencies in the others. >>Pamela

I never use gatorade. No dental work this century. Biotene mouth

wash 3 times a day helps the problem. Nothing serious. Problems

are just a minor annoyance.

Alobar

On 1/1/08, vanderlady00 <pvanderveer@...> wrote:

> Hi Alobar - Some flavors of Gatorade contain brominated vegetable

> oil ... check old posts on this group. Other than that, I personally

> just read the labels everytime I buy something new.

>

> I had sores, cuts in my mouth, and little slits/cuts at the corners

> of my lips but not from iodine. It occurred several months after

> a " gold alloy " crown was placed. Suffered for several months and

> finally had my dentist replace the crown with an all porcelain

> crown. It took another 3-4 months for symptoms to completely clear

> but have never returned and it has been 7-8 years now. Anyhow, just

> a thought. Try warm salt water rinses for your mouth.

>

> Pam in Florida

Whey = Monosodium Glutamate

Check at

http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm

This could very well be the problem.

Hope this helps!

Kalliopi

--- Alobar <Alobar@...> wrote:

> I take a good multivitamin (Miracle 2000) which has

> balanced B complex. I

> take 100 mg of B-6. 800 mgs of Folic Acid, twice a

> day, Sublingual B-12 (1

> gram), I would imagine that whey contains the

> water soluble B vitamins.

> I just checked the USDA database for whey. Number

> below are for 100 grams

> of dry whey.

>

> Thiamin mg 0.519

> Riboflavin mg 2.208

> Niacin mg 1.258

> Pantothenic acid mg 5.620

> Vitamin B-6 mg 0.584

> Folate, total mcg 12

> Choline, total mg 225.0

> Vitamin B-12 mcg 2.37

>

> I just started getting these symptoms at the start

> of the cold weather this

> year. I have not changed my vitamin regimin lately,

> other than to add whey

> daily.

>

> Alobar

>

>

> On 1/1/08, ladybugsandbees

> <ladybugsandbees@...> wrote:

> >

> > Low Vit B5 can cause a sore tongue along with

> " allergies " which could be

> > the runny nose. Low B12 can cause a sore tongue

> as well. I learned the

> > hard way about the B Vitamins and overlaoding on

> one and then throwing the

> > entire thing out of balance. Steph

> >

> > Vitamin B - B5

>

<http://www.depression-guide.com/vitamin-b-deficiency.htm>Vitamin

> > B5 is active in the formation of the

> neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which

> > can be involved in some depression. A deficiency

> can cause depression,

> > fatigue and allergies.

> >

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Never miss a thing. Make your home page.

http://www./r/hs

The approximate/suggested ratio of the B's is as follows (this is not a complete list of the B's, just a partial).B1(thiamine) - 50 mgB2 (riboflavin) - 50 mgB3 (niacin amide) 500 mgB5 (pantothenic acid 500 mgB6 50 mginositol 500 mgcholine 500 mgfolic acid 400 mcgSince you are

have been taking 4000 mg of niacin amide, unless you taking 400 mg of B1, 400 mg of B2, 400 mg of B6, 4000 mg of pantothenic acid, inositol and choline, plus 4000 mcg of folic acid, you are not in balance. Taking a larger amount of a single B vitamin for a short time could be therapeutic, but taking such a large amount for years as you have been doing may be causing havoc.Alobar <Alobar@...> wrote: I take a good multivitamin (Miracle 2000) which has balanced B complex. I take 100 mg of B-6. 800 mgs of Folic Acid, twice

a day, Sublingual B-12 (1 gram), I would imagine that whey contains the water soluble B vitamins. I just checked the USDA database for whey. Number below are for 100 grams of dry whey. Thiamin mg 0.519 Riboflavin mg 2.208 Niacin mg 1.258 Pantothenic acid mg 5.620 Vitamin B-6 mg 0.584 Folate, total mcg 12 Choline, total mg 225.0 Vitamin B-12 mcg 2.37 I just started getting these symptoms at the start of the cold weather this year. I have not changed my vitamin regimin lately, other than to add whey daily. Alobar

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Alobar,

There is not a single truly balanced B complex on the market in America today. The government limits the amount of folic Acid in the product to

400 mcg, and Biotin is expensive so they never put enough in a complex.

Even a good 100 mg B-complex only has 33% of the lowly daily FDA values. Therefore one will always need to add more Biotin and folic acid.

Your whey product is missing Biotin, PABA, Inositol, these need to

be balanced as well.

Alobar

I take Biotin, Folic Acid, and PABA. I use lecithin daily which

gives me Inositol.

While it is certainly possible that my vitamin intake may be not

properly balanced, it seems odd to me that what I have been doing for

a long time would suddenly induce problems. I shall keep looking for

external factors before I adjust my vitamin intake as the high dose

vitamins sure have been good for me and I would not want to cut back

until and unless I feel it would be prudent to do so.

I gather from all the comments which do not speak of bromism from

foods or herbal supplements that bromism is probably not my problem.

Alobar

On 1/2/08, ~Texas <brenda.kc@...> wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Alobar,

>

> There is not a single truly balanced B complex on the market in America today.

The government limits the amount of folic Acid in the product to

> 400 mcg, and Biotin is expensive so they never put enough in a complex.

> Even a good 100 mg B-complex only has 33% of the lowly daily FDA values.

Therefore one will always need to add more Biotin and folic acid.

>

> Your whey product is missing Biotin, PABA, Inositol, these need to

> be balanced as well.

>

>

>

>

Alobar,

Bromism may still the issue, however if it is then it should resolve itself in time with iodine.

You can chose to push through and keep going with iodine or you can decide to take a break for a few weeks. It all depends on if you can stand

the mouth sores until the bromide clears out or if you need to stop heal

and start over it is really an individual choice. If you are healthy, using

iodine to better that health you may choose to stop and start often.

If you have many health issues that need to be resolved the choice

may be to push on with iodine seeing each detoxifying symptom as one

more step to good health.

If you decide to push through then you may need to do salt

pushed several times a day or more . This really seems to help me with

my bromide issues. For me each time have a problem in the mouth it seems

to last about 5 days, however others have had theirs last 10 day or more.

& foods

I take Biotin, Folic Acid, and PABA. I use lecithin daily which

gives me Inositol.

While it is certainly possible that my vitamin intake may be not

properly balanced, it seems odd to me that what I have been doing for

a long time would suddenly induce problems. I shall keep looking for

external factors before I adjust my vitamin intake as the high dose

vitamins sure have been good for me and I would not want to cut back

until and unless I feel it would be prudent to do so.

I gather from all the comments which do not speak of bromism from

foods or herbal supplements that bromism is probably not my problem.

Alobar

I take high B vitamins too and really like them, but I am having a very hard time with the minerals.

how much mg oil should I be rubbing on me?

If I add 50mg zinc I don't feel so good. now my teeth hurt. I take 50 mg Iodoral.

confused

Gracia

I take Biotin, Folic Acid, and PABA. I use lecithin daily whichgives me Inositol.While it is certainly possible that my vitamin intake may be notproperly balanced, it seems odd to me that what I have been doing fora long time would suddenly induce problems. I shall keep looking forexternal factors before I adjust my vitamin intake as the high dosevitamins sure have been good for me and I would not want to cut backuntil and unless I feel it would be prudent to do so.I gather from all the comments which do not speak of bromism fromfoods or herbal supplements that bromism is probably not my problem.AlobarOn 1/2/08, ~Texas <brenda.kcgmail> wrote:>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1207 - Release Date: 1/2/2008 11:29 AM

I have read somewhere, and I can't seem to find where right now, that

Progesterone raises zinc levels. If you are already using Progesterone

you may not need to supplement with the Zinc at all.

Dianne

>

>

> I take high B vitamins too and really like them, but I am having a

very hard time with the minerals.

> how much mg oil should I be rubbing on me?

> If I add 50mg zinc I don't feel so good. now my teeth hurt. I

take 50 mg Iodoral.

> confused

> Gracia

>

>

That is not true for me. I was on 100 mgs of Progesterone and my zinc went

to the bottom of the range. That was even supplementing with 50 mgs!

Steph

>I have read somewhere, and I can't seem to find where right now, that

> Progesterone raises zinc levels. If you are already using Progesterone

> you may not need to supplement with the Zinc at all.

>

> Dianne

>

>

>>

>>

>> I take high B vitamins too and really like them, but I am having a

> very hard time with the minerals.

>> how much mg oil should I be rubbing on me?

>> If I add 50mg zinc I don't feel so good. now my teeth hurt. I

> take 50 mg Iodoral.

>> confused

>> Gracia

>>

>>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Here is the link that references progesterone raising zinc levels:

http://www.acu-cell.com/znk.html

Quoting from that page:

**Some menopausal females find Progesterone Cream helpful for Night

Sweats, however it may not be the hormonal action of progesterone,

but its subsequent zinc and potassium-raising effect through

which the night sweats are improved - particularly when high sodium

retention is involved. Taking zinc and/or potassium supplements

instead may provide the same benefits.**

Dianne

>

> I have read somewhere, and I can't seem to find where right now,

that

> Progesterone raises zinc levels. If you are already using

Progesterone

> you may not need to supplement with the Zinc at all.

>

> Dianne

>

>