RemedySpot.com

Forms of iodine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"Why is 'inorganic iodine' preferred over 'organic iodine' for supplementation?"

Dear ,

Your question on Iodine is an excellent one, and I was hoping that someone else on the list would answer it because I had the same question. Also, my chemistry background is not very strong. However, since noone has responded yet, I will make a stab at it, and then others can correct and add to what I say.

First of all, what is "organic" iodine? From a chemistry perspective, an "organic" molecule refers to a molecule that has one or more carbon atoms. It does not mean that the iodine came from a food source or that it matches the forms of iodine that are found in our bodies.

In the latest Weston Price Journal, Wise Traditions, they talk about dioxins, which are organic compounds made from chlorine. (The chemical group of Halogens includes iodine, fluorine, bromine, and chlorine. These elements have a variety of similarities.) Just because the compounds are "organic" does not mean that they are "good" for us. Lots of our common pesticides and fungicides are organic molecules, many of which contain halogens. Thus, many "organic" molecules can be quite toxic to life forms, including us. Many of these "organic" molecules are man-made or synthetic.

I would like to find a good list of iodine compounds, differentiating between organic and inorganic, and specifying which ones tend to be toxic.

Zoe

forms of iodine

One of the articles recently posted by Zoe seemed to malign theorganic form of iodine, actually preferring the inorganic. Thisseems contrary to most supplementation advice where, for example,beta-carotene, a vitamin A precursor, is preferred to retinol.So, one question I have is why iodine is different?

Thanks,-

A Message from Mandy.

Zoe here:

It does not mean that the iodine came from a food source or that it matches the forms of iodine that are found in our bodies.Just because the compounds are "organic" does not mean that they are "good" for us. Lots of our common pesticides and fungicides are organic molecules, many of which contain halogens. Thus, many "organic" molecules can be quite toxic to life forms, including us. Many of these "organic" molecules are man-made or synthetic.> Zoe Mandy here:

I agree. I was talking to a biochemist/naturopath and he says that the body requires more inorganic minerals than organic, like sodium for example. Potassium and sodium ions move in and out every time a muscle moves, inorganic ions are needed to maintain the electric potential of each cell or to transmit nerve signals. These bulk minerals - potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium - are mainly needed in inorganic or ionic form in the body, however, trace minerals tend to be in the body combined with specific organic compounds, regardless if they are absorbed inorganic or chelated.Bone broth is a great source for inorganic minerals and is considered a superior source of minerals by the Weston A. Price Foundation, as is clay which contains signifcant amounts. Even animals will travel great distances to obtain inorganic mineral licks. And let's not forget the inorganic minerals from rock pools and springs from which people and animals have been drinking from since the begining of time. Hope this helps.Mandy

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

Lynne said:

> Most women don't get any benefit until they reach 25-50 mgs Iodoral or

> Lugol's. Prolamine hasn't been strong enough for the women in our Iodine

> Investigation Project. _www.breastcancerchoices.org/iproject_

> Cyst removal, the one-two punch, involved 50 mgs Iodoral plus topical

> lugol's and topical natural progesterone.

Thanks for this guidance.

So now I'm curious about the different forms of iodine. Why isn't the

Prolamine strong enough? I'm using the iodine to try to help treat the

thyroid (on a very low dose of Armour), so I want to get it right. Also,

can the Lugol's be used internally? Can you get the dose right with the

dropper? I will probably switch to Iodoral after reading this, but just

want to understand the differences between the different forms of

iodine.

---

nowski

Hawthorne, Florida

sumar@...

Guest guest

The Prolamine is only 3 mg. Plus most people feel that Iodoral's design, perhaps where it gets absorbed in the GI tract, gives a stronger punch. You can try taking a specific number of mgs of Lugol's Solution (internally) one week and the same mgs Iodoral the next week and test for yourself.

In my personal opinion, any of the iodines out there is better than nothing. But if you have any serious issues, I wouldn't want to lose months of experimentation with weaker iodines.

Good luck,

Lynne

In a message dated 3/17/2008 10:44:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sumar@... writes:

So now I'm curious about the different forms of iodine. Why isn't theProlamine strong enough? I'm using the iodine to try to help treat thethyroid (on a very low dose of Armour), so I want to get it right. Also,can the Lugol's be used internally? Can you get the dose right with thedropper? I will probably switch to Iodoral after reading this, but justwant to understand the differences between the different forms ofiodine.

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money Finance.