RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: BTA Statement on Armour and T4/T3 combinatio...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Just goes to show that some people get away with murder don't they. I am absolutely shocked that he has done this and will never look upon his site with the same respect now.

Luv nne

Wow, many thanks for this, I just KNEW something wasn't quite right. - I felt it in my bones. I have learned so much about Armour now and I have never heard of ANY study being done with Armour and especially it being published in such a prestigious journal. How DARE Dr Mercola change the word "triiodothyronine" and replace with "Armour Thyroid". This is quite appalling.

Yes Lilian, you are right, I maligned him and shouldn't have - if you read it in that context (I did not re-read it I admit) it makes perfect sense and is in fact Armour TYPE medication because it is animal extracts.

Luv nne

I think he probably misread it. It says:-

The New England Journal of Medicine 1999;340:424-429, 469-470.

COMMENT: Extracts of animal thyroid tissue, first used in 1892, contained both thyroxine and triiodothyronine (Armour thyroid)

Meaning of course that Armour thyroid is extracts of animal thyroid tissue which contains both thyroxine and triiodothyronine. I think he was calling it Armour when he was really meaning combination T4/T3. He was using the word Armour like we nowadays call all vacuum cleaners 'hoovers'.

Lilian

Totally agree Lilian, he needs to remove that from his web site because it is very misleading.

Luv nne

I see, the comment was his - not that of the NEJM whereas he put it as if it were the comments of the NEJM.

Could you not email him (as TPA) and tell him he is misleading people. He may have an explanation.

Lilian

Sorry nne, but you were right in the first place. Triiodothyronine is NOT Armour TYPE medication. Armour contains T4,T3,T2,T1,T0, Calcitonin and probably other unspecified bits and bobs. No studies have ever been done using combination therapy with animal extracts and synthetic thyroxine. The triiodothyronine (T3) the article is talking about is the combination therapy of synthetic T4 and T3.

Luv - Sheila

Yes Lilian, you are right, I maligned him and shouldn't have - if you read it in that context (I did not re-read it I admit) it makes perfect sense and is in fact Armour TYPE medication because it is animal extracts.

Luv nne

I think he probably misread it. It says:-

The New England Journal of Medicine 1999;340:424-429, 469-470.

COMMENT: Extracts of animal thyroid tissue, first used in 1892, contained both thyroxine and triiodothyronine (Armour thyroid)

Meaning of course that Armour thyroid is extracts of animal thyroid tissue which contains both thyroxine and triiodothyronine. I think he was calling it Armour when he was really meaning combination T4/T3. He was using the word Armour like we nowadays call all vacuum cleaners 'hoovers'.

Lilian

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1207 - Release Date: 02/01/2008 11:29

I am writing to him the following:-

I read your article about the NEJM's article regarding thyroid medication and your own comments concerning Armour.

I cannot see anywhere in the NEJM's article any mention of Armour thyroid at all. Armour Thyroid is a trade name for desiccated pigs thyroid and although it contains T4 and T3 the study in the NEJM is concerning the combination treatment of T4 and T3 not Armour.

As most of the medical profession are saying that synthetic medication is better there is no point in showing them an article saying that synthetic T4 and T3 is better than just synthetic T4 alone. It helps insofar as trying to get a prescription for T3 but not when trying to get a prescription for Armour.

I would appreciate your comments on this.

Lilian Swallowmember of TPA-UK (who are trying to get Armour recognised as an alternative treatment for hypothyroidism by the British Medical Profession)

HI Lilian

Many thanks for writing to Dr Mercola. Lee and I were on the phone last night and whilst we were talking, she also wrote to him asking him to remove that information. Let us know if he responds and what he says. We have also asked him to remove that from his website. It appears to have been on for a very long time. Had I not been looking for references for my documents, I am sure I would never have found it.

Luv - Sheila

I am writing to him the following:-

I read your article about the NEJM's article regarding thyroid medication and your own comments concerning Armour.

I cannot see anywhere in the NEJM's article any mention of Armour thyroid at all. Armour Thyroid is a trade name for desiccated pigs thyroid and although it contains T4 and T3 the study in the NEJM is concerning the combination treatment of T4 and T3 not Armour.

As most of the medical profession are saying that synthetic medication is better there is no point in showing them an article saying that synthetic T4 and T3 is better than just synthetic T4 alone. It helps insofar as trying to get a prescription for T3 but not when trying to get a prescription for Armour.

I would appreciate your comments on this.

Lilian Swallowmember of TPA-UK (who are trying to get Armour recognised as an alternative treatment for hypothyroidism by the British Medical Profession)

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1207 - Release Date: 02/01/2008 11:29