RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: BTA Statement on Armour and T4/T3 combination treatment.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

>>> How DARE Dr Mercola change the word "triiodothyronine" and replace with "Armour Thyroid". This is quite appalling. <<<

I think he probably misread it. It says:-

The New England Journal of Medicine 1999;340:424-429, 469-470.

COMMENT: Extracts of animal thyroid tissue, first used in 1892, contained both thyroxine and triiodothyronine (Armour thyroid)

Meaning of course that Armour thyroid is extracts of animal thyroid tissue which contains both thyroxine and triiodothyronine. I think he was calling it Armour when he was really meaning combination T4/T3. He was using the word Armour like we nowadays call all vacuum cleaners 'hoovers'.

Lilian

Hi Lilian

The "comments" were written by Dr Mercola -NOT the authors of the publication on the NEJM site.. Nowhere in the NEJM article have they ever mentioned Armour, or natural thyroid extract. All they have mentioned is triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). Somebody who knows as much about thyroid hormone replacement as he does would NOT call triiodothyronine Armour. Armour is the brand name of a natural product made by Forest Pharmaceuticals. This looks like deliberate misinformation to make it look like a proper study had taken place on the combination treatment of thyroxine (synthetic T4) versus Armour thyroid (natural thyroid extract).

Luv - Sheila

>>> How DARE Dr Mercola change the word "triiodothyronine" and replace with "Armour Thyroid". This is quite appalling. <<<

I think he probably misread it. It says:-

The New England Journal of Medicine 1999;340:424-429, 469-470.

COMMENT: Extracts of animal thyroid tissue, first used in 1892, contained both thyroxine and triiodothyronine (Armour thyroid)

Meaning of course that Armour thyroid is extracts of animal thyroid tissue which contains both thyroxine and triiodothyronine. I think he was calling it Armour when he was really meaning combination T4/T3. He was using the word Armour like we nowadays call all vacuum cleaners 'hoovers'.

Lilian

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1207 - Release Date: 02/01/2008 11:29

I see, the comment was his - not that of the NEJM whereas he put it as if it were the comments of the NEJM.

Could you not email him (as TPA) and tell him he is misleading people. He may have an explanation.

Lilian