RemedySpot.com

Re: Post-partum thyroiditis - anyone else had this??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

Welcome to the list. I also lost thyroid function following birth. I

didn't go through the hyper phase- just went straight to hypo. However you

problems are probably little sputters from your failing thyroid.

I was 28 when I went hypo, but now you have us you shouldn't have to go

through the 17 years of poor health I did before getting proper help.

Post partum hypo is supposed to sort itself out, but I haven't heard of

m/any cases where it has.

After waiting months to see if it would return to normal on it's own,

the doc prescribed levothyroxine - I'm now on 125mcg/day. However,

some days and particularly in the evenings I feel racy as if

overactive - but not at other times. Is this normal with this type of

treatment? I guess it doesn't regulate naturally as it would if my

thyroid was doing its job. Also, does anyone know if there's any

chance it might resolve on its own? I'm 32 and feel too young too have

permanent hypothyroidism! Thanks.

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

HI Pip - welcome to our forum and I hope you get all the help and support you need here.

> Hi, I'm new to this forum and wondering if anyone else has been in the > same boat as me. A couple of months after my baby was born last year I > was diagnosed with post-partum thyroiditis - I had a massively > overactive thyroid for a couple of months (truly horrible), which then > returned to normal and then within a few weeks plummeted way down.

Somebody told me recently that if they had a choice, they would rather suffer hypothyroidism than hyperthyroidism. it can be pretty horrendous. Were you ever tested to see if you have antibodies to your thyroid?

> After waiting months to see if it would return to normal on it's own, > the doc prescribed levothyroxine - I'm now on 125mcg/day. However, > some days and particularly in the evenings I feel racy as if > overactive - but not at other times. Is this normal with this type of > treatment? I guess it doesn't regulate naturally as it would if my > thyroid was doing its job. Also, does anyone know if there's any > chance it might resolve on its own? I'm 32 and feel too young too have > permanent hypothyroidism! Thanks.

Have you had a recent thyroid function test Pip? If not, ask your GP to do thios. You sound as if you could be taking too much thyroxine and need a reduction. What time of day do you take your Thyroxine. It is usually recommended to take it on an empty stomach first thing when you wake, but now, studies have been done to show patients get a better effect by taking it at night. You could try the experiment.

Other reasons could be that you have low adrenal reserve - a problem for hypothyroid people because the adrenals have to work so hard to compensate for your lack of thyroid hormone. You can get a 24 hour salivary adrenal profile done through NPTech Services (look in our FILES on the forum and you can see all the tests and prices charge in the NPTech document there). When you have the list of FILES, also look at the "Adrenal Questionnaire" and the "Candida Questionnaire" and answer the questions to see how you score. These are conditions that interfere with your thyroxine. Do you take any other supplements such as calcium and iron. If you do, do you take these at the same time as your thyroxine?

Sadly, anybody who is given a diagnosis of hypothyroidism has to take thyroid hormone replacement for the rest of their lives - there is no other supplement that can take its place. Once you have got on the correct dose (and I am sure this is your problem right now) you should be fine.

Luv - Sheila>

>>>Somebody told me recently that if they had a choice, they would rather suffer hypothyroidism than hyperthyroidism. it can be pretty horrendous. <<<<

It makes you wonder, therefore, why doctors think we all want to take so much medication to become hyper.

Only once (and he was a young doctor) did anyone actually try and test to see whether I was, in fact, hyper when my TSH was 0.01. He took my pulse and made me put my arms out to see if they were steady and pronounced I was OK. The endo (who he worked for) just went berserk when he looked at the TSH going on about me being hyper and was very annoyed that he could not reduce my medication because I was getting it privately.

Lilian

" I'm 32 and feel too young too have permanent hypothyroidism! "

I was diagnosed permanently hypothyroid aged 25, but i had it from 19

onwards.

I'm 31 now, and still permanently hypothyroid!

Sucks, dont it?

Jen

>

> Hi, I'm new to this forum and wondering if anyone else has been in the

> same boat as me. A couple of months after my baby was born last year I

> was diagnosed with post-partum thyroiditis - I had a massively

> overactive thyroid for a couple of months (truly horrible), which then

> returned to normal and then within a few weeks plummeted way down.

> After waiting months to see if it would return to normal on it's own,

> the doc prescribed levothyroxine - I'm now on 125mcg/day. However,

> some days and particularly in the evenings I feel racy as if

> overactive - but not at other times. Is this normal with this type of

> treatment? I guess it doesn't regulate naturally as it would if my

> thyroid was doing its job. Also, does anyone know if there's any

> chance it might resolve on its own? I'm 32 and feel too young too have

> permanent hypothyroidism! Thanks.

>

Hi Jen

Welcome to our Forum and I hope we can help you.

First though, could you call yourself something else rather than Jen, as we already have a Jen and it might cause confusion, perhaps you could call yourself Jeni ?

Please be assured that when you get on to the right dose of thyroid hormone replacement, you should feel as well as you did before you became hypothyroid. Let us know the results of your last thyroid function test. Your doctor will let you have these, but be sure to get the reference range for each test. Post them here is we can see exactly what is happening, because sadly, many doctors have no idea how to interpret them. Once you are hypothyroid, you have to take thyroxine for life.

What dose of thyroxine are you taking and how long is it since you had an increase (or a decrease). We have found that people get a better effect (and better sleep) by taking their thyroxine at night - you might consider trying this. Tell us what symptoms you are suffering and what other problems are troubling you. We always need some history before we are able to help.

Luv - Sheila

Re: "Post-partum thyroiditis" - anyone else had this??

"I'm 32 and feel too young too have permanent hypothyroidism!"I was diagnosed permanently hypothyroid aged 25, but i had it from 19onwards.I'm 31 now, and still permanently hypothyroid!Sucks, dont it?Jen>> Hi, I'm new to this forum and wondering if anyone else has been in the > same boat as me. A couple of months after my baby was born last year I > was diagnosed with post-partum thyroiditis - I had a massively > overactive thyroid for a couple of months (truly horrible), which then > returned to normal and then within a few weeks plummeted way down. > After waiting months to see if it would return to normal on it's own, > the doc prescribed levothyroxine - I'm now on 125mcg/day. However, > some days and particularly in the evenings I feel racy as if > overactive - but not at other times. Is this normal with this type of > treatment? I guess it doesn't regulate naturally as it would if my > thyroid was doing its job. Also, does anyone know if there's any > chance it might resolve on its own? I'm 32 and feel too young too have > permanent hypothyroidism! Thanks.>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1211 - Release Date: 06/01/2008 11:57

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thank you for your replies, and sorry it's taken me

so long - I've been a bit out of the loop. It was really great to read

your suggestions and I'll definitely try taking my thyroxine in the

evening instead. Also interesting to read that it could be something to

do with the adrenals... there seems to be so much stuff related to the

thyroid that I just haven't been told about!! I have finally just had

another blood test and it will be interesting to see if I need my

thyroxine dose changed. Still feeling jittery and racy in the

evenings...but struggle to get up in the morning. Thankfully I have the

screaming-baby-alarm-clock which forces me to get going! I'll try to

post my blood test results to see if someone can shed a bit more light

on things than my doctor.

Thanks again,

Pip

Guest guest

Hi Pip

Remember to post the reference ranges too for each test won't you.

Luv - Sheila

Hi all,Just wanted to say thank you for your replies, and sorry it's taken me so long - I've been a bit out of the loop. It was really great to read your suggestions and I'll definitely try taking my thyroxine in the evening instead. Also interesting to read that it could be something to do with the adrenals... there seems to be so much stuff related to the thyroid that I just haven't been told about!! I have finally just had another blood test and it will be interesting to see if I need my thyroxine dose changed. Still feeling jittery and racy in the evenings...but struggle to get up in the morning. Thankfully I have the screaming-baby-alarm-clock which forces me to get going! I'll try to post my blood test results to see if someone can shed a bit more light on things than my doctor.Thanks again,Pip

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.518 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1327 - Release Date: 12/03/2008 13:27