RemedySpot.com

RE: honeymoon period after thyroxine dose changed?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey Jonny - good to have you back with us again as I was wondering how you were getting on.

I think many have experienced the 'honeymoon' effect and wondered why it wasn't long lasting after an increase in their thyroid hormone replacement. This often happens because of the three 'wicked witches' that need sorting. (1) Your adrenals still need boosting to cope with the increased dose (often it is better to increase your Nutri Adrenal Extra when you increase). (2) You have Candida Albicans that has not been properly treated. (3) You have low Ferritin level (stored iron) and you need iron supplements (Ferrous Sulphate 200 mgs daily). Tell us your position regarding these Jonny and what treatment are you taking to get any (or all) of these back to normal?

Remind us again what dose of thyroxine (or Armour) you are taking now and how long since your last increase, and what were the results of your last blood test. You might need a new blood test. It might be that you are not on a sufficient dose of T4. T4 is an inactive hormone, it converts in the liver to the active hormone T3. T3 has a short half life and is more or less out of your system after 8 hours - this is why we advise people on a T3 medication to take it twice a day, otherwise, taking it all in the morning, you get a peak around 2 to 3 hours later, and by the afternoon, you get a 'slump' and feel fatigued again. You may need some additional T3, you may need Armour. Let us know your bloods and we will try to fathom out what it is the reason why you have the honeymoon effect.

Luv - Sheila

Hey guys,I am just wondering if anyone has a kind of honeymoon period afteryour thyroid dose is changed? By this I mean a dramatic improvement insymptoms - better concentration, more energy, no brain fog, no aches,hands not so cold...etc.I have had this before whenever my dose was increased. My dose wasdecreased recently and didnt experience it. It usually last around aweek or two. The best change for me is the ability to think clearerand having more energy. It feels a bit like iv had a coffee, but allthe time. Like I'm just more perky and energetic.Does anyone know why this happens? I'm thinking it could it be greaterT3 in the blood due to the sudden increase in T4? Then perhaps thebody's feedback system comes into play and deacreases the thyroid's T4output (is the thyroid gland isn't completely dead), so the T3deacreses too.ThanksJonny

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1224 - Release Date: 14/01/2008 17:39

Hi jonny,

Yes this adjustment period is common while you are increasing

doses, but have not yet reached optimum. Seems to be' Ah! More meds that's

better'- followed by 'oh dear- not enough!'

Some of us need surprisingly high doses to feel well. Many docs are

satisfied with any dose that results in a test within range- rather than the

dose that generates optimum wellness.

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if anyone has a kind of honeymoon period after

your thyroid dose is changed? By this I mean a dramatic improvement in

symptoms - better concentration, more energy, no brain fog, no aches,

hands not so cold...etc.

Thanks

Jonny

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

I have had this feeling, i increased to 150 thyroxine in Oct and felt

good, really felt as though this was it. Most noticably i didn't need

antihistamine for my allergies for 2 months. Sadly, symptoms started to

return just before xmas, now i have hives as well! Anyway i ordered

some t3 from the new site which arrived today. Will let you know how i

get on. other than that i have had bloods done but no results yet. I

see GP on Monday and am going to press to see the endo Dr

from bournemouth. Anyone know of him?

regards

Ali

Well, Im due for another thyroid test in about 3 weeks and my endo has

asked for me to have T3 done too!

I should have another ACTH test done soon as well, as the hospital

messed up my first one. The endo said that if my adrenals are ok,

which he think they will be, then he will get the thyroid dose perfect

and see how I feel. He also said that very occasionally, some people

need extra T3, but I think this would be a last resort.

I went to my GP the other day about my muscle aches. I hadnt really

told him about them before. I'v had them so long that I'm kind of used

to them now. I don't really think 'hey this is a symptom, I better

tell the doctor' but rather 'Here's me getting tired and aching

again'. But anyway, he said that sometimes people with hypothyroidism

can develope a 'myopathy', so he sent me to have a blood sugar test

and a CPK test (Creatine p.... k.... ?). I should get these back soon

so I post them on here when i do.

Jonny

Hi Ali

Why have you decided to take T3, has this been recommended for you by a doctor, and if so, what were you told about reducing your T4 and what amount of T3 are you starting on. I would wait until you get your results from your GP to see what is happening first, post them here with the reference ranges before you change your treatment. I hate people changing their medication without their doctors knowledge - especially as T3 is a very active hormone and can cause all sorts of problems if you don't get it right. Please don't rush whatever it is you are doing. When I had T3 added (by an endocrinologist) she dropped my then 125 mcgs T4 right down to 50 mcgs and added 12 1/2 Mcgs of T3.

Lluv - Sheila

Re: honeymoon period after thyroxine dose changed?

I have had this feeling, i increased to 150 thyroxine in Oct and felt good, really felt as though this was it. Most noticably i didn't need antihistamine for my allergies for 2 months. Sadly, symptoms started to return just before xmas, now i have hives as well! Anyway i ordered some t3 from the new site which arrived today. Will let you know how i get on. other than that i have had bloods done but no results yet. I see GP on Monday and am going to press to see the endo Dr from bournemouth. Anyone know of him? regardsAli

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1224 - Release Date: 14/01/2008 17:39

Ali,

I am not sure whether you have been told or read how to take the T3 gradually and to cut down your thyroxine for about a month to six weeks before starting the T3.

Lilian

I have had this feeling, i increased to 150 thyroxine in Oct and felt good, really felt as though this was it. Most noticably i didn't need antihistamine for my allergies for 2 months. Sadly, symptoms started to return just before xmas, now i have hives as well! Anyway i ordered some t3 from the new site which arrived today. Will let you know how i get on.

I bet your muscle aches and pains are due to lack of T3 Jonny. Wait and see what happens to them after you start this treatment. T3 is needed to get into every cell in your body and if you are not converting the thyroxine ionto T3, your poor old muscles, brain, speech and every moving part can suffer.

Luv - Sheila

Re: honeymoon period after thyroxine dose changed?

Well, Im due for another thyroid test in about 3 weeks and my endo hasasked for me to have T3 done too!I should have another ACTH test done soon as well, as the hospitalmessed up my first one. The endo said that if my adrenals are ok,which he think they will be, then he will get the thyroid dose perfectand see how I feel. He also said that very occasionally, some peopleneed extra T3, but I think this would be a last resort.I went to my GP the other day about my muscle aches. I hadnt reallytold him about them before. I'v had them so long that I'm kind of usedto them now. I don't really think 'hey this is a symptom, I bettertell the doctor' but rather 'Here's me getting tired and achingagain'. But anyway, he said that sometimes people with hypothyroidismcan develope a 'myopathy', so he sent me to have a blood sugar testand a CPK test (Creatine p.... k.... ?). I should get these back soonso I post them on here when i do.Jonny

Hi Sheila

I will wait until i have seen the endo, but i am more than aware that

it is difficult to get the correct treatment under the NHS. I am

dreading Monday and every appointment because my test last time

was " normal " and she was reluctant to increase the thyroxine. What if

she decreases it?. Therefore i want to be able to treat myself. it is

really only a precaution. But whatever i do, be assured i will do

gradually and very carefully. I am very afraid of crashing again, it

could cost me alot. I will post my results, if she gives them to me!

Thanks

Ali

>

> Hi Ali

>

> Why have you decided to take T3, has this been recommended for you

by a doctor, and if so, what were you told about reducing your T4 and

what amount of T3 are you starting on. I would wait until you get

your results from your GP to see what is happening first, post them

here with the reference ranges before you change your treatment. I

hate people changing their medication without their doctors

knowledge - especially as T3 is a very active hormone and can cause

all sorts of problems if you don't get it right. Please don't rush

whatever it is you are doing. When I had T3 added (by an

endocrinologist) she dropped my then 125 mcgs T4 right down to 50

mcgs and added 12 1/2 Mcgs of T3.

>

> Lluv - Sheila

>

> Re: honeymoon period after

thyroxine dose changed?

>

>

> I have had this feeling, i increased to 150 thyroxine in Oct and

felt

> good, really felt as though this was it. Most noticably i didn't

need

> antihistamine for my allergies for 2 months. Sadly, symptoms

started to

> return just before xmas, now i have hives as well! Anyway i

ordered

> some t3 from the new site which arrived today. Will let you know

how i

> get on. other than that i have had bloods done but no results

yet. I

> see GP on Monday and am going to press to see the endo Dr

> from bournemouth. Anyone know of him?

>

> regards

> Ali

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1224 - Release Date:

14/01/2008 17:39

>

Hi Ali

If it does come down to oyou having the travel the 'self-treating' road, have you considered trying Armour instead of adding synthetic T3 to your synthetic T4. Armour has the other hormones with the added benefit of calcitonin, which makes your bones stronger.

Just a thought.

Luv - Sheila

Hi Sheila I will wait until i have seen the endo, but i am more than aware that it is difficult to get the correct treatment under the NHS. I am dreading Monday and every appointment because my test last time was "normal" and she was reluctant to increase the thyroxine. What if she decreases it?. Therefore i want to be able to treat myself. it is really only a precaution. But whatever i do, be assured i will do gradually and very carefully. I am very afraid of crashing again, it could cost me alot. I will post my results, if she gives them to me!ThanksAli>> Hi Ali> > Why have you decided to take T3, has this been recommended for you by a doctor, and if so, what were you told about reducing your T4 and what amount of T3 are you starting on. I would wait until you get your results from your GP to see what is happening first, post them here with the reference ranges before you change your treatment. I hate people changing their medication without their doctors knowledge - especially as T3 is a very active hormone and can cause all sorts of problems if you don't get it right. Please don't rush whatever it is you are doing. When I had T3 added (by an endocrinologist) she dropped my then 125 mcgs T4 right down to 50 mcgs and added 12 1/2 Mcgs of T3.> > Lluv - Sheila> > Re: honeymoon period after thyroxine dose changed?> > > I have had this feeling, i increased to 150 thyroxine in Oct and felt > good, really felt as though this was it. Most noticably i didn't need > antihistamine for my allergies for 2 months. Sadly, symptoms started to > return just before xmas, now i have hives as well! Anyway i ordered > some t3 from the new site which arrived today. Will let you know how i > get on. other than that i have had bloods done but no results yet. I > see GP on Monday and am going to press to see the endo Dr > from bournemouth. Anyone know of him? > > regards> Ali> > > > > > > --------------------------------------------------------------------> > > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1224 - Release Date: 14/01/2008 17:39>

went to my GP the other day about my muscle aches. I hadnt really

told him about them before. I'v had them so long that I'm kind of used

to them now. I don't really think 'hey this is a symptom,

My doctor suspected hypothyroidism from me tell ing him about my muscle aches and pains. Now they Thyroxine is mainly working they are so much better.

AOL's new homepage has launched. Take a tour now.

Hi Ali,

Some of us need a slightly higher dose of meds over the winter

period.

I have had this feeling, i increased to 150 thyroxine in Oct and felt

good, really felt as though this was it. Most noticably i didn't need

antihistamine for my allergies for 2 months. Sadly, symptoms started to

return just before xmas, now i have hives as well!

regards

Ali

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.