RemedySpot.com

RE: Intro.....at last!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Gill,

I'm from Derby originally, so understand what 'Derbyshire Neck' is,

having never met my paternal g/mother who didn't survive 'rheumatic

fever' at the age of about 30y, associated with goitre.

I'll assume that the same condition has affected you from your

description.

If you have been 'within range' on TSH for all that period and

untreated for all that period....there are one or two people who

might have been responsible for that, in a somewhat authoritarian and

arbitrary manner, and that has gone on for decades.

I can assure you that you are amongst friends here who understand the

magnitude of the problem.

With Dr P, you will get sensible answers and a mountain of

understanding.

It does take 'fixing' the adrenals first, before trying to 'fix' the

thyroid...the alternative isn't very pleasant and presents serious

risks.

Good luck, with ongoing treatment; it takes time and patience.

best wishes

Bob

>

> Hi Everyone,

>

> I joined the group 3 weeks ago but haven't been well enough to get

my

> head around doing this until now.

>

> I'm almost 57 and was diagnosed with FMS 6 years ago but began to

> realise I had thyroid/adrenals problems 2/3 years after that, after

> joining other . I now believe I was born with weak

> adrenals and low thyroid as I've had problems from as far back as I

> can remember aged 3-ish and which I can now see as signs of

> adrenal/thyroid problems.

>

> All my life has been plagued with weakness, fatigue,

> sinus/throat/chest infections, cold intolerance, insomnia, stomach

> problems, cognitive problems, terrible period pains/pms, urinary

> tract infections, chemical sensitivities, depression, anxiety,

> tinnitus and the list goes on…….

>

> Please understand I'm only writing this next bit as it is fact and

> relevant to the state of my health and may help someone else to

> realise the impact stress, emotional, financial and physical, can

> have on their adrenals especially with untreated thyroid problems.

(

> I don't want it to look like a sob story.) I've had a lot of

stress

> in my life, also from the age of 3, and still have ongoing family

> stress to deal with at the moment. Mental/emotional abuse as a

> child, 2 marriage breakdowns ( `there's always something wrong with

> you' ) financial problems culminating from both of those and not

> being able to work properly (much like the lady in the Daily mail

> article) and physical abuse in my 30's. Three operations in my 30's

> and anaesthetic not suiting me.

>

> I had a hysterectomy at 38 and believe it was from this that my

> already struggling thyroid was damaged even further because 2 years

> later I was experiencing menopause symptoms. From 40-45 years old

I

> developed debilitating pains all over my body, it was a nightmare

> mentally and new/different symptoms appeared like brain fog and

> carpel tunnel. I did manage to work through this time by being

self

> employed as an Antique/Collectables dealer but was struggling more

by

> 2000, worked from home selling on the internet for a couple of

years

> and then had to give up completely.

>

> I've been virtually housebound since then, especially in winter and

> when it's too hot, as I couldn't go out on my own and cognitive

> problems stopped me driving (which I've always loved!!) I had to

use

> a wheelchair 4 years ago (after another stressful event and big

> adrenal crash) and while I can walk better now, I can't walk far

and

> have a mobility scooter just to be able to get out occasionally

with

> my family (my grandchildren call me Mad Gran when I'm zooming about

> on it!)

>

> I've been tested over the years for thyroid and the tests came back

> as in range. In my last one, which would be about 3 years ago, my

> TSH was mid range, and I was told, like everyone else, that even if

> the doctor requests Free T3 & Free T4 the lab will not do it if the

> TSH is in range.

>

> I had tests done by NPTech in September 06 which showed I had

> Hashimotos and adrenal fatigue (stage 3) I saw Dr P in October 06

> when I can only describe myself as desperate. From starting

> treatment then, I was unable to tell what was going on and brain

> function was very bad, and as time went on there was no

improvement.

> It's only been since last July/August onwards that I've been able

to

> piece things together.

>

> I've recently done the Adrenal Stress test again which show that my

> adrenals have in fact got worse and that I'm now Stage 4. I'm

> waiting for my thyroid tests results at the moment from NPTech and

> was planning to see Dr P in March but after having to visit the GP

> this week (someone I've not seen before) with something different

> happening to me (I'll post about this separately when I get my

> results) am also having bloods done again including B12 and

> ferritin. I am worried though that should my NHS tests show the

> thyroid problem now, no-one will understand that because my

adrenals

> are so bad, that I can't treat my thyroid until my adrenals are

> stronger.

>

> I've developed more symptoms over the last 7/8 years which I can

> about separately and also any of my test results should anyone want

> to see them. (as this is getting very long)

>

> I'm very pleased to have joined the group and am trying to keep up

> with the posts but I get overwhelmed. I'm sorry this is long…… I

> hope not too many sentences. ( This is the shortened version, ha

ha )

>

> Gill (Slater)

>

Hi Gill,

You story is sadly not unique with hypo going unrecognised for years- I too was a poorly child.

If you do get a disgnosis of hypo cheer as it is the passport to free NHS meds. You are right in treating adrenals first. You are in the best hands with Dr. P, He got me well!

> thyroid treatment > From: gill_slater@...> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:14:11 +0000> Subject: Intro.....at last!> > Hi Everyone,> > I joined the group 3 weeks ago but haven't been well enough to get my > head around doing this until now.> > I'm almost 57 and was diagnosed with FMS 6 years ago but began to > realise I had thyroid/adrenals problems 2/3 years after that, )> > > > > > Think you know your TV, music and film? Try Search Charades!

Hi Gill S - and welcome to our forum where I hope you get all the help and support you need as you have certainly had one heck of a struggle to get this far. If you have opted to receive individual emails, and you are finding the volume over-whelming, then go to the Home Page of this forum website, click on "Edit my Membership" near the top of the page, on the leftish side of the screen.On the page that opens, change your option to receive messages to "Daily Digest". That way, you will get 25 messages in one email, and you can skip those you don't want to read and choose to read only those that are relevant to your case.

It would help us greatly if you could post your thyroid function blood results when you receive this from NPTech. Could you also get your GP to test your ferritin level (stored iron) as this could be another cause of some of the symptoms you have and would need to be treated.

I appreciate your concern regarding your GP treating your thyroid (if your results show out of reference range) with your compromised adrenals, but I would take one step at a time and not concern yourself with something that may not happen - as that way, you are only introducing further stress.

If you have confirmation that you are suffering with low adrenal reserve, it is usually recommended that you start taking Nutri Adrenal Extra supplement to help give them the boost they need. You should start by taking one tablet with breakfast for a couple of days, and then adding another with your lunch (don't take any after 1.00p.m. because the extra adrenaline might keep you awake at night. After a week, you can add another tablet and stay on that amount for a couple of weeks. Some people manage fine on 3, some need 4 and occasionally, if you have a particularly stressful day, some people do fine on 5/6. What is usually recommended is that you take NO thyroid hormone replacement for the first couple of weeks, and that time should be enough to give your adrenals the boost they need to cope with thyroxine.

Doctors are not given sufficient training in medical school and not taught how to diagnose hypothyroidism. They know nothing of the "signs", little of the "symptoms" (blaming them on whatever comes to their mind at the time) and do not give their patient a thorough clinical examination, nor do they ask whether other members have a thyroid or autoimmune illness. ALL they do is to do a thyroid function test - and if it is normal, declare you are normal and leave it at that.

It is very distressing that over the past few years, more and more laboratories are refusing to do the tests requested by the GP's (lab. staff are not doctors) and they have little knowledge of WHY it is considered very imp0rtant in some cases to do Free T4 and Free T3. We will have to have to work on this at some point and start asking serious quesitons as to why this is being allowed to happen.

When you saw Dr Peatfield, what did he recommend at that time and did you follow up on his recommendations. You mention you were going to see Dr P in March this year (where do you live?) but then having visited your GP this week, you appear to have changed your mind. Is this the case, and if so, why?

I look forward to seeing your test results and we will try to do everything we can to help and support you.

Luv - Sheila

> I've recently done the Adrenal Stress test again which show that my > adrenals have in fact got worse and that I'm now Stage 4. I'm > waiting for my thyroid tests results at the moment from NPTech and > was planning to see Dr P in March but after having to visit the GP > this week (someone I've not seen before) with something different > happening to me (I'll post about this separately when I get my > results) am also having bloods done again including B12 and > ferritin. I am worried though that should my NHS tests show the > thyroid problem now, no-one will understand that because my adrenals > are so bad, that I can't treat my thyroid until my adrenals are > stronger.> > I've developed more symptoms over the last 7/8 years which I can post > about separately and also any of my test results should anyone want > to see them. (as this is getting very long)> > I'm very pleased to have joined the group and am trying to keep up > with the posts but I get overwhelmed. I'm sorry this is long…… I > hope not too many sentences. ( This is the shortened version, ha ha )> > Gill (Slater)>

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for your welcome and suggestions.

You mention you were going to see Dr P in March this year (where do you live?) but then having visited your GP this week, you appear to have changed your mind. Is this the case, and if so, why?

I live in Derbyshire and wanted to see Dr P at Castle Donnington but the dates haven't been confirmed yet and also I haven't been able to get through to him yet either. Then when I read about your Yorkshire day I thought I could come and see him there and tie it in with a visit to friends who live near Harden Moor who keep inviting us but I'm never well enough to go, and as I've developed other problems and still feeling `extra' ill, I haven't got any further on this yet.

I don't explain myself very well at times so sorry for the confusion here ( even though I have some brain function now it's still all over the place) – I hadn't changed my mind about going to see Dr P but because of having to go to the doctors as I was very ill last week with something new/different for me, that's connected to Thyroid problems and having bloods done, ( I asked for ferritin and b12 to be done) I was going to wait the outcome as there's a chance the tests might show thyroid problems now. Then I would have to think about what to do next and my brain won't let me at the minute.

When you saw Dr Peatfield, what did he recommend at that time and did you follow up on his recommendations.

I was really pleased to see Dr P as I was in a very bad place at that time. He confirmed I was Hypothyroid, clinically very apparent and that my TSH confirmed this. Low Adrenal Reserve, probably present for years. He recommended I take Nutri Adrenal Extra x 2 daily, Vit C x 4000mg (I was already doing this) Q10 x 60 mgs (optional) Siberian Ginseng/Licquorice drops 10-20 (optional) Thyro Complex x 1 to start with. Wait 3 weeks and then start Nutri Thyroid 1-4 daily and later perhaps Armour.

I took everything he recommended to start with, except instead of the Nutri Adrenal Extra, I took Thorne Adrenal Cortex as I belong to the adrenalfatigue group (some of them see Dr P as well) and they suggested this as the Thorne one doesn't contain any adrenaline, unlike the Nutri. At the same time as starting the supplements I came down with a virus, which happens every year at the end of September, and lasts all the way through to the following summer. I just couldn't tell what was happening to me so I just kept downing the Adrenal Cortex, Thyro Complex and Vit C – after 3 months I left off the Q10 and Ginseng as they'd been optional and thought I might be able to judge better what was or wasn't happening. At this time I started taking a Higher nature Fish oil and a liver support and after 8 weeks my brain fog went and I could think more clearly. I'd tried adding in the Nutri Thyroid 1 daily but after 2 weeks found I was (what I know now to be) thyrotoxic. I tried this several times with the same reaction.

In the summer I started drinking ½ tsp sea salt in a glass of water and added red meat back into my diet, both for adrenal support. My blood pressure came up to a more normal reading, my orthostatic hypertension disappeared, my temperature raised from 35.5/36 to 36/36.5. I had a good August and thought I was improving, although I still felt anxiety and the fear felt stronger, especially going to bed and first thing on waking, but I was more confident and even did some driving.

As you know, I redid the ASI test in November and found that my adrenals had gone down a stage. I find this strange as I actually feel better now at stage 4 than I did at stage 3 and the explanation of these stages that accompany the graph is opposite to how I feel. I was disappointed but have come to the conclusion that I need HC now.

It would help us greatly if you could post your thyroid function blood results when you receive this from NPTech. Could you also get your GP to test your ferritin level (stored iron) as this could be another cause of some of the symptoms you have and would need to be treated.

I appreciate your concern regarding your GP treating your thyroid (if your results show out of reference range) with your compromised adrenals, but I would take one step at a time and not concern yourself with something that may not happen - as that way, you are only introducing further stress.

I'm nervous at the moment as I went for an ecg this morning and my results for the blood tests are back already (only had them done on Friday) and I'm going to the doctors at 4.10. my OH is coming with me but I've got to get my head around both scenarios, in range/out of range, and what I need to say. I try to be as prepared as possible but he only has to mention 1 thing that I may not be ready for and it will wipe me out and I'll go gaga. If I get a hypo result, do I ask to be referred to see Dr Skinner – I've looked on the Doctors who will and don't think there's anyone near-ish who does NHS. Plus then, there's the adrenal issue as well.

I look forward to seeing your test results and we will try to do everything we can to help and support you.

Luv - Sheila

I'll let you know how I go on, post results and also tell you why I had to go to him in the first place when I know what's happening.

Thanks so much for your support

Gill (Slater)

Hi Gill

I would stick with Dr Peatfield as Dr Skinner is not too happy to deal with any adrenal issues and I am not sure he understands them as well as Dr Peatfield and other doctors. Don't worry yourself about what to say to your GP - just ask him to write down your results for each test and the reference range and we can take ift from there. If he DOES tell you they are a little out of range (or they might be a lot), then you can ask for a referral - though if you continue to see Dr Peatfield, he doesn't require a referral. You can come up to my cottage for a consultation if you wish, but iCastle Donnington is a lot nearer to you and I am sure that Jo will work out all the other clinic dates soon.

Luv - Sheila

Subject: Re: Intro.....at last!

I'm nervous at the moment as I went for an ecg this morning and my results for the blood tests are back already (only had them done on Friday) and I'm going to the doctors at 4.10. my OH is coming with me but I've got to get my head around both scenarios, in range/out of range, and what I need to say. I try to be as prepared as possible but he only has to mention 1 thing that I may not be ready for and it will wipe me out and I'll go gaga. If I get a hypo result, do I ask to be referred to see Dr Skinner – I've looked on the Doctors who will and don't think there's anyone near-ish who does NHS. Plus then, there's the adrenal issue as well.

I

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.7/1234 - Release Date: 20/01/2008 14:15